• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Rayman Facebook and Twitter page post different Rayman Trophy Model, so I have 2 questions

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Sakurai teases, but he's never truly misleading. Also, I dunno about anyone else, but I've been following Nintendo's revealing of information about various topics for at least two decades. They have a certain style to them that is hard to describe, and revealing Rayman like this as a playable character is just not something they tend to do.

I do agree this trophy is weird, but if you think about it, there's a lot better you could say. Rayman Legends was a pretty significant early "exclusive" for the Wii U, and while I doubt Nintendo is super happy with how Ubisoft handled it, Ubisoft has nevertheless still probably done more for the Wii U than most other major publishers (Child of Light also had a Wii U release). Ubisoft likely wanted the free advertising for their game in smash, and it's just good business from Nintendo to give them a nod like this. Something like a playable character would require some serious business dealings neither company may want, but it's not exactly legally difficult for one company to gift another a small bit of advertising. Heck, that PotD post may have been a bigger part of the deal than the trophy being in the final game itself; for 24 hours on the smash 4 site which gets a ton of hits, Rayman was the front page picture, and it was notable enough to get some small degree of coverage by the gaming media.

Dr.Turtle

Smash Cadet
Sakurai did say that if a character appears on the site but doesn't get a page, then they aren't playable, right?

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Eh, I don't really want Rayman. I don't think he fits the whole "Nintendo Universe" thing Sakurai always goes on about.

Booster

Smash Lord
Oh please let Rayman be playable, this could be his chance to become big again, like he became with Rayman 2

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm getting more inclined to believe he could very well be playable. Between Michel Ancel's hint, the weird nature of the trophy reveal (and then it having two versions), and now this, there's a lot behind it.

tomvoxx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thighland529
Switch FC
SW-1258-1614-8509
Wellllll....... how about that. Rayman would be a unique addition to the roster.

D

Deleted member

Rayman ''leaked'' as a playable character by a Nintendo employee?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Oh goodie, there's a nice large n' clear image of the second trophy.
Sakurai's original Miiverse image:

Mysterious second image:

Now I want someone to (figuratively) look at me with a straight face and tell me that those are not two different trophies.

Rayman sure can kick Mario's @$$, Ancel. The stars are aligning.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Believe in Rayman. Might have been a mix up but the fact the Tree House team has been playing the game for a while (with different builds of the game) makes me want to believe he's possible.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Yeah, I'm not sure if he accidentally said it as a leak or an incorrect mistake but regardless I find severely odd that a third party company got a trophy and possibly no playable character.

I kinda want to say Rayman is indeed playable.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm against Rayman in smash

Because Ubisoft is against the wii u

It wouldn't make sense to include a character from a company that hates the wii u in the wii u's biggest game

Last edited:

tomvoxx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thighland529
Switch FC
SW-1258-1614-8509

It wouldn't make sense to include a character from a company that hates the wii u in the wii u's biggest game
Right. Where's my watch dogs and assassin's creed unity?

tomvoxx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thighland529
Switch FC
SW-1258-1614-8509
Did he even get his start on a Nintendo console? I'm pretty sure he started on PlayStation.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
And we ignore all the games Ubisoft have released on the Wii U, including a completely original and exlusive launch title.

Guess we shouldn't have Mega Man since he doesn't even have any Wii U games.

Don't even get me started on Sonic, he was the mascot of a rival console for years.

Forget about Snake too. Hell, let's just take out all of the third party characters, this is a Nintendo game. Purists...
Did he even get his start on a Nintendo console? I'm pretty sure he started on PlayStation.
Atari Jaguar, actually. His first game was also on the PS1 and PC, but interestingly started development for the SNES.

Though every one of his games has appeared on a Nintendo console in some form, including a vast amount of ports among ports.

tomvoxx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thighland529
Switch FC
SW-1258-1614-8509
And we ignore all the games Ubisoft have released on the Wii U, including a completely original and exlusive launch title.

Don't even get me started on Sonic, he was the mascot of a rival console for years.

Forget about Snake too. Hell, let's just take out all of the third party characters, this is a Nintendo game. Purists...

Atari Jaguar, actually. His first game was also on the PS1 and PC, but interestingly started development for the SNES.

Though every one of his games has appeared on a Nintendo console in some form, including a vast amount of ports among ports.
Gotcha. I would enjoy his as a playable character... but I still want my assassin's creed unity and watch dogs lol

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Well they specifically said they don't support the wii u and have no plans to put games on it and turned one of their most looked forward to upcoming exclusive to a multi plat

That's like saying Benedict Arnold should be remembered as a great man because he was once a general in the American army

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Well they specifically said they don't support the wii u and have no plans to put games on it and turned one of their most looked forward to upcoming exclusive to a multi plat
I'd like to know where you heard that. From what I've heard, they're holding back Watchdogs until the Wii U sells more, which is a **** move but a smart business decision, but they are still going to release it. That doesn't sound like refusal to support it to me.

I mean Christ, I don't hate Rare because they sold themselves out to Micro$oft. I just hate Micro$oft instead.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'd like to know where you heard that. From what I've heard, they're holding back Watchdogs until the Wii U sells more, which is a **** move but a smart business decision, but they are still going to release it. That doesn't sound like refusal to support it to me.

I mean Christ, I don't hate Rare because they sold themselves out to Micro$oft. I just hate Micro$oft instead.
I'll believe they'll release it when it happens

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

Who cares=???

Smash is about the gameplay, not the reps.
They're waiting on more people to buy the WiiU and for more WiiU owners to buy more games.

Nintendo fans are notorious for not buying 3rd party games.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I still have no idea how they're going to make his amiibo :p
Link and Fox have some transparent plastic objects that makes them float (like their SSB4 artworks). This could work for Rayman.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I would not be surprised if he wanted to say Mega Man instead.
Impossible mix up. Mega Man was literally selected on screen when he said that.

Believe in Rayman. Might have been a mix up but the fact the Tree House team has been playing the game for a while (with different builds of the game) makes me want to believe he's possible.
There's even evidence to support that wave-dashing may be present in later builds, due to a Treehouse employee seemingly trying to do it. Also, JC almost dropped a leak of some kind on the Comic-Con stream.

This would just be a step beyond JC, where maybe the rep just forgot Rayman was not announced as playable (which would be an understandable error, since he WAS shown to be IN the game, with two trophies, no less).

AGES

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snicks

So then you can beat him up with a Nintendo character :colorful:

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Yeah JC and Bill were doing all types of leakage. I remember they were talking about lasers for Fox during the CC stream and JC almost said something but caught himself. Ahem Falco or Wolf haha. Whereas Bill was saying he couldn't combo properly in E3 build.

Still Rayman would be an interesting character. Even though the models look odd to me. Just my opinion.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Right. Where's my watch dogs and assassin's creed unity?
Watch Dogs is coming (it's also lololol you probably already know), and AC Unity isn't coming after AC III and IV had lackluster sales on the WiiU.

Then again, Assassins Creed Unity exclude women, so adding another 0.33% of the worlds' population to roughly 52% of the world's population isn't that big of a deal.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580

That's like saying Benedict Arnold should be remembered as a great man because he was once a general in the American army
They tried their best to support it with games like ZombiU, Assassin's Creed III, Assassin's Creed IV, and Watch_Dogs, so I wouldn't blame them but the Nintendo fans that aren't buying their games.

Who cares=???

Smash is about the gameplay, not the reps.
When you think about it in a business perspective, why include a third-party character that benefits their company when it's not even going to benefit the platform holder? Including Rayman benefits Ubisoft, but since they had already delayed Rayman Legends for a simultaneous multiplatform release, they pretty much backstabbed Nintendo, especially since the Wii U needed it to keep sales momentum going early last year. Meanwhile, the Wii U version of Watch_Dogs gets delayed instead of delaying all versions for a multiplatform release. That just shows how bad their relationship is.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
When you think about it in a business perspective, why include a third-party character that benefits their company when it's not even going to benefit the platform holder? Including Rayman benefits Ubisoft, but since they had already delayed Rayman Legends for a simultaneous multiplatform release, they pretty much backstabbed Nintendo, especially since the Wii U needed it to keep sales momentum going early last year. Meanwhile, the Wii U version of Watch_Dogs gets delayed instead of delaying all versions for a multiplatform release. That just shows how bad their relationship is.
Eh, not really.

It shows that Ubisoft thought that a PC release and PS3/360 release would do better than it did. They wanted to market the game once, and that's it. However, they hardly marketed the game at all, and that is why it didn't sell as well as it should have. Regardless, Origins did well on the Wii, as did Rayman 1-3 on other Nintendo consoles.

As for Watch Dogs, it'll probably wind up being the best version. Regardless, the WiiU isn't the easiest system to develop for.

And if we're talking bad relations, why isn't Ultra Street Fighter IV on the WiiU?

Regardless, Nintendo doesn't call the shots, the directors do. The directors of Smash WiiU get everything they want because Smash WiiU is literally the lifeline of the WiiU from being GameCube'd (at best) or possibly help send the WiiU to Wii status. (before anyone says Zelda, those don't sell no more)

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Rayman is likely at all, probably just a guy mixing things up because of that trophy.

If Rayman makes it in, I'll never complain about ssb4's final roster. I'd love to have him as a more modern classic hero just like Sonic.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Eh, not really.

It shows that Ubisoft thought that a PC release and PS3/360 release would do better than it did. They wanted to market the game once, and that's it. However, they hardly marketed the game at all, and that is why it didn't sell as well as it should have. Regardless, Origins did well on the Wii, as did Rayman 1-3 on other Nintendo consoles.

As for Watch Dogs, it'll probably wind up being the best version. Regardless, the WiiU isn't the easiest system to develop for.

And if we're talking bad relations, why isn't Ultra Street Fighter IV on the WiiU?

Regardless, Nintendo doesn't call the shots, the directors do. The directors of Smash WiiU get everything they want because Smash WiiU is literally the lifeline of the WiiU from being GameCube'd (at best) or possibly help send the WiiU to Wii status. (before anyone says Zelda, those don't sell no more)
Regarding Rayman Legend's simultaneous release, it was too close to Grand Theft Auto V's release date, so it was bound to bomb, anyway. Fortunately, the Wii U version sold the most, but it still would've been better to keep said version on February to keep momentum going.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Regarding Rayman Legend's simultaneous release, it was too close to Grand Theft Auto V's release date, so it was bound to bomb, anyway. Fortunately, the Wii U version sold the most, but it still would've been better to keep said version on February to keep momentum going.
Yeah I forgot about that reason as well.

Anything released around GTA V was bound to die, haha. GTA V was marketed perfectly (because it always made you want MORE!). It's sad, really, because Origins was one of the best platformers of all-time, and Legends was from what I hear anywhere from just a bit lower to just a bit higher.

Top Bottom