• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR 2010 NTSC Tier List

Max?

Smash Champion
Leffen you make Yoshi sound like he's god tier. He's actually *** tho. Maybe you should prove us wrong by using him at Nationals/Important tournies instead of bragging about beating up scrubs at the low level stuff you use him at.

Also, do we really need to update the tier list? Let's just slap 2013 in the thread title and move along

Bing

Smash Master
Leffen you make Yoshi sound like he's god tier. He's actually *** tho. Maybe you should prove us wrong by using him at Nationals/Important tournies instead of bragging about beating up scrubs at the low level stuff you use him at.

Also, do we really need to update the tier list? Let's just slap 2013 in the thread title and move along
In comparison to Zelda, Mewtwo and Roy, Yeah, Yoshi's pretty good :p

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Zelda has one of the best shields in the game (if not the best), and despite not having a useful grab OoS she still has plenty of options that make the opponents respect her space. She also is both floaty and heavy which puts her in a category with characters like Doc and Samus in terms of reliably escaping kill combos such as fox's uthrow uair and falcon's dthrow knee.

I consider mewtwo to be a character that is really ****ty but has a single viable tournament strategy; he can almost endlessly camp/refuse to approach since he can use his upb to escape. This can be read and punished, of course, but there is almost no landing lag so its not easily handled with reaction (I guess this would be along the lines of predicting a teleport in SF, though even safer). He doesn't really have a method to force someone into approaching him (shadowball is crap). In terms of actually attempting to defend his space with attacks, he is probably the worst in the game (below kirby and bowser at least). He also lacks anything resembling killing methods or effective ways to rack up damage. He is huge and light and dies very low despite having a really good recovery

Varist

Smash Lord
Current
S: Fox, Falco, Jigglypuff, Sheik
A: Marth, Peach, Captain Falcon
B: Ice Climbers
C: Dr. Mario, Ganondorf, Samus
D: Pikachu, Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong
E: Link, Young Link
F: Zelda, Roy, Mewtwo, Yoshi, Mr. Game & Watch
G: Ness, Bowser, Kirby, Pichu

IMO

Jiggs -2
Pikachu +2
Mario +1
Young Link +1
Yoshi +3

-Jiggs is good, but we overreacted putting her 3rd
-Axe, proven not just a 1 time fluke
-mostly personal bias lol. Scorpadorp
-Young link has a couple good matchups. Having better movement than Link is pretty important I think.
-Yoshi players have at least shown there is potential there. +3 is a big jump, though, but I don't see what Mewtwo or Zelda or the like would have over a Yoshi at high level play.
jiggs worse than marth?
mario better than samus?

laffn@u

CloneHat

Smash Champion
Mewtwo's up B is still overrated, though. When you use it off the ledge onto the stage, it always goes the same distance. You can see this in Taj vs Armada games, as he eventually learns this and consistently punishes Taj for it.

john!

Smash Hero

agreed, i don't really see any reason to put yoshi much higher unless we see some results. you can make any low tier sound really good if you twist your words enough...

if yoshi has all these amazing features, why aren't people (leffen) using them to accomplish things? it's reasonable to think that those features don't translate well into a competitive environment, unless of course someone can prove me wrong.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
He does kinda get ****ed up by Falco (80-20 or worse imho), which might be a reason why there's few dedicated Yoshi mains, since there's an abundance of those stupid birds everywhere ... if anyone half competent with that character gets to beat you for free achieving stuff gets pretty hard.

john!

Smash Hero
He does kinda get ****ed up by Falco (80-20 or worse imho), which might be a reason why there's few dedicated Yoshi mains, since there's an abundance of those stupid birds everywhere ... if anyone half competent with that character gets to beat you for free achieving stuff gets pretty hard.
well, seeing as the tier list is a ranking of character vibility in high-level tournament play... things are looking pretty bad for yoshi, aren't they?

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Well, considering Roy / Mewtwo get ****ed up just as bad by EVERYBODY I still feel his current placing is too low ;) (but sure good spacies matchups are really important in melee... his Fox matchup is really okay btw :) )
Fwiw I think, that he should be about as good as the Links (who should be above DK. DK sucks).

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
I don't think Yoshi is THAT bad... :(

there's alot to explain, I wouldn't know where to even start.. ><

Yoshi should be higher than Link.. I agree... ^^ ummmm.. idk what else to say ><;

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
yes, that is what I think. Although, one spot lower on the tier list doesn't really mean THAT much anyway.

I mean, I would give some reasoning, but it's not like you want to actually discuss it.
Yeah I think you have a valid opinion

ElloEddy

Smash Journeyman
i feel like doc mario is at captain falcon level.....he super underrated ..i though the tier list was influenced by tournament placing to ..if so ylink has won 3 majors ..nationals .....sooooooo move him on upp lol

and i dont believe in those dumb mu system ****s stupid ....10-90 and you still get 4 stocked .....ppl need to shut up about mu's and start playing the player honestly

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
Falco-Yoshi isn't 80-20 and definitely isn't free. It's 65-35 at worse for Yoshi and I honestly think Yoshi wins the MU on Dreamland.

if yoshi has all these amazing features, why aren't people (leffen) using them to accomplish things? it's reasonable to think that those features don't translate well into a competitive environment, unless of course someone can prove me wrong.
The problem is Yoshi is the hardest character in the game to play effectively. It takes a lot of time to consistently perform all his character-specific ATs, wavelands, and DJC aerials. You also get punished hard for making a technical mistake because it can mess up a combo or cause you to plummet to your death (usually involves DJC).

However, when you're experienced with Yoshi and are really feeling it on a particular day (like I did during my last tournament), that's when you realize how good of a character he can be.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i feel like doc mario is at captain falcon level.....he super underrated
I think doc is at falcons level if you are underrating falcon and overrating doc. Doc is definitely in no danger of moving down, but neither is he posing a much of a threat to ICs/Falcon.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
In this case "your mum" would've worked as well... horrible jokes are horrible <3 :D

Falco-Yoshi isn't 80-20 and definitely isn't free. It's 65-35 at worse for Yoshi and I honestly think Yoshi wins the MU on Dreamland.
Maybe 80-20 sounds a bit harsh... it's just that I have stuff like Peach - ICs or Sheik - CF at 70 - 30, and I feel Yoshi loses worse to Falco than those.

Also, whenever I get hit by Yoshi (outside of DJ stuff) playing Falco, I feel it's 100% on me. I screwed up tech skill or did something ********. Not something like "might work out, I'll just try it... awww, he read it and punished accordingly", but a 100% stupid mistake like "never do that in this situation". Sure he punishes those extremely well on the bird, but there really is little more reason to get hit by Yoshi as Falco than there is for Fox to get hit by Zelda. They just pretty much invalidate the other characters neutral game.

Regarding DL: I don't mind that stage at all. Sure, it can take a while longer if I can't get a dair spike, an edge guard at higher percent where the bair will beat the DJ or some stupid shine gimp, but would rather have to kill the dino right away instead. On the other hand there's so much room to work with and establish a situation where I feel perfectly comfortable going in. The only stage I dislike in that match up is FoD, because the lack of side platforms sometimes makes it less free to get out of bad / too neutral situations :D

Then again, you've probably played a lot more Falcos than I've played Yoshis (one, although that guy lives super close (three minutes by foot), so we tend to play a lot ... ;) ).

leffen

Smash Champion
In this case "your mum" would've worked as well... horrible jokes are horrible <3 :D

Maybe 80-20 sounds a bit harsh... it's just that I have stuff like Peach - ICs or Sheik - CF at 70 - 30, and I feel Yoshi loses worse to Falco than those.

Also, whenever I get hit by Yoshi (outside of DJ stuff) playing Falco, I feel it's 100% on me. I screwed up tech skill or did something ********. Not something like "might work out, I'll just try it... awww, he read it and punished accordingly", but a 100% stupid mistake like "never do that in this situation". Sure he punishes those extremely well on the bird, but there really is little more reason to get hit by Yoshi as Falco than there is for Fox to get hit by Zelda. They just pretty much invalidate the other characters neutral game.

Regarding DL: I don't mind that stage at all. Sure, it can take a while longer if I can't get a dair spike, an edge guard at higher percent where the bair will beat the DJ or some stupid shine gimp, but would rather have to kill the dino right away instead. On the other hand there's so much room to work with and establish a situation where I feel perfectly comfortable going in. The only stage I dislike in that match up is FoD, because the lack of side platforms sometimes makes it less free to get out of bad / too neutral situations :D

Then again, you've probably played a lot more Falcos than I've played Yoshis (one, although that guy lives super close (three minutes by foot), so we tend to play a lot ... ;) ).

uh, falco-yoshi is ~60-40 or better for yoshi... its not even CLOSE to peach-ics LOOLLL

Yoshi can just DI out of all falco combos, and he punishes falco EXTREMELY hard (probably hardest ingame outside of marth)

and you're friend is honestly, probably not good enough. Yoshi is extremely hard to play properly, and especially against falco (you really need parrys and powershield to manage in that matchup)

seriously, theres matchup life ganondorf vs falco/sheik, ics vs peach and peach vs puff and you think a single bad matchup invalidates the character? ( and makes him comparable to roy/zelda/mewtwo LOL)Q_Q

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Yoshi can just DI out of all falco combos, and he punishes falco EXTREMELY hard (probably hardest ingame outside of marth)

and you're friend is honestly, probably not good enough. Yoshi is extremely hard to play properly, and especially against falco (you really need parrys and powershield to manage in that matchup)

seriously, theres matchup life ganondorf vs falco/sheik, ics vs peach and peach vs puff and you think a single bad matchup invalidates the character? ( and makes him comparable to roy/zelda/mewtwo LOL)Q_Q
Like I said, I feel Yoshi - Falco IS worse than ICs - Peach or Peach - Puff... and Ganon is indeed invalid (Kage is a ****ing hero).
Well, and my friends Yoshi at least tends to be better than my stupid Falco secondary against other people (oh and he usually beats me in Falco dittos :D)... But maybe of course the matchup shifts towards a super high level, I wouldn't expect it, but well... what do I know :D (I'd be actually down to MM your Yoshi with my Falco if I ever make it to Sweden ;) ).

Kimimaru

Smash Ace

I don't like the "there is no reason to get hit" argument because it only holds true for comparative player skill levels instead of characters. Two equally skilled players will always get hits off each other.

Falco's aerials, especially his D-air, are easy for Yoshi to parry because he doesn't move too fast in the air. Yoshi can also close the gap between Falco with parry -> wavedash on his lasers. As you've stated, Yoshi punishes Falco hard and his D-throw can lead to U-air chains. F-air -> U-tilt is guaranteed at 0% and forces Falco to tech, leading to jab reset -> grab or read -> grab (not as reliable of course). I think Yoshi wins the MU on Dreamland because Yoshi doesn't have to work as hard for a kill: a D-smash on Falco at 60% near the edge will kill him. Not to mention Yoshi has some good edgeguarding tools on Falco, including the infamous D-tilt gimp. I admit I haven't played this MU too often on FoD, but I don't really like that stage to begin with.

On the other hand, Falco can combo Yoshi very well too with pillaring, U-tilt, etc and control space with lasers. Shine breaks Yoshi's superarmor at any %, but it won't be too useful unless Yoshi is recovering low. Additionally, it takes only one frame for Yoshi to cancel his double jump so he can purposefully do so to get launched up.

So to sum this all up, I think Falco wins the MU right now because Yoshi players in general cannot parry consistently and Falco's metagame is more developed. The best examples (in my opinion) of this MU are Leffen vs. Pepito WF and GF.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Although I think that point is exaggerated, it is kinda true. There is also Peach and Sheik which make it hard to get things done. As well as super campy Fox. All of them are winnable, but if played right it can be quite an uphill battle.

The problem is Yoshi is the hardest character in the game to play effectively. It takes a lot of time to consistently perform all his character-specific ATs, wavelands, and DJC aerials. You also get punished hard for making a technical mistake because it can mess up a combo or cause you to plummet to your death (usually involves DJC).

However, when you're experienced with Yoshi and are really feeling it on a particular day (like I did during my last tournament), that's when you realize how good of a character he can be.
I definitely don't think Yoshi beats Falco on DL. That being said, most of my MU experience is against a Falco main 5th in my state. . . (although my state isn't too good tbh)

When I'm feeling Yoshi it works amazingly well, and I feel like if I consistently played that well I would be a regional level player. Unfortunately, usually I don't do nearly that well and I'm more a state level player. Yoshi definitely is hard to play consistently, and the swing is pretty massive.

Right now I'm a player who has taken matches off of strong players off and on, and If I play really well, I think I'm a PR level player. I also don't think I'm able to say I can play Yoshi well enough to use him in the MU. Your friend probably doesn't use him well enough to make the MU work.

I was too busy chain grabbing him to death to notice his cool shield stuff :x
(single tear) I feel like that is how it goes far too often. I feel like one of Yoshi's bigger problems is he can get enough from his combos to balance these things out, but he has to work so much harder for it.

Top Bottom