• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Observations on the Japanese Fanbase's Desires for Smash 4 (by Chronobound)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Look wise guy, people that played Melee LOVED Roy. Where they disappointed by Ike? Yes.
People didn't care about Roy during Melee, they cared about Roy after Brawl was released and he was absent. Same deal with Mewtwo.

Also to say everyone hated Ike is kind of backwards. In fact, he's one of the most popular newcomers introduced in Brawl.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
People didn't care about Roy during Melee, they cared about Roy after Brawl was released and he was absent. Same deal with Mewtwo.

Also to say everyone hated Ike is kind of backwards. In fact, he's one of the most popular newcomers introduced in Brawl.
I never said that. It's no point arguing, I just leave it with this; the Majority of fans would rather have had Roy than Ike. Just for Melee, I don't know. I like Ike better anyway.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Roy was actually on most people their 'cut-list' pre-Brawl. Most people agreed that Dr.Mario, Pichu, Young Link and Roy where THE most likely characters to get the boot. There where indeed a small group passionate about Roy, aka Chrono and his gang. But Ike was a hugely requested new character. His fanbase was easily comparable to the likes of Toon Link or Olimar's. Just below the likes of extremely 'needed' additions as Diddy Kong and King Dedede.

So again, could you please stop talking bull****?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
FE9 and FE10 both came before FE6...

And had Ike as a main character.

So far only Marth was main character in more games. Roy's game didn't even reach international shores.

Can you please stop talking bull****?
Hey, don't insult a hardcore FE fan and I won't talk crap. In any case, our opinions are both different. No arguing is going to change anything.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I never said that. It's no point arguing, I just leave it with this; the Majority of fans would rather have had Roy than Ike. Just for Melee, I don't know. I like Ike better anyway.
People would be really upset that the less popular and developed characters gets in, you know.

Deny it all you want, but Ike is a far better choice then Roy no matter what scenario you throw at us. He's got a far more unique moveset, a stronger presence in Fire Emblem as a whole, far more popularity (often cited as the most popular actually), and doesn't have a lot of crippling flaws that makes him such a huge base breaker.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
People would be really upset that the less popular and developed characters gets in, you know.

Deny it all you want, but Ike is a far better choice then Roy no matter what scenario you throw at us. He's got a far more unique moveset, a stronger presence in Fire Emblem as a whole, far more popularity (often cited as the most popular actually), and doesn't have a lot of crippling flaws that makes him such a huge base breaker.
Eh, alrighty then.

In any case, I think We'd all love BOTH of them in, regardless of the actual facts.

D

Deleted member

I'm… sorry for bringing up my opinions on Roy. I guess I technically caused it? (I didn't say anything negative about him though)

Roy was actually on most people their 'cut-list' pre-Brawl. Most people agreed that Dr.Mario, Pichu, Young Link and Roy where THE most likely characters to get the boot.
While I was checking the Dojo!! during pre-Brawl and had lurked the NSider forums beforehand, I knew that the clones were going to get cut or were in great danger. I definitely thought that Dr. Mario, Pichu, Young Link, and Roy were going to get cut (with Dr. Mario at least being an alternate costume for Mario and Young Link possibly getting replaced by "Wind Waker Link"). Mewtwo was the one cut that caught me off guard and I was disappointed that he was.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Eh, alrighty then.

In any case, I think We'd all love BOTH of them in, regardless of the actual facts.
I don't care about Roy much, but still that would be a better scenario then replacing a good character with something not so good.

You know, like Project M does it.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Yep.

Project M is the Melee fanboy's dream... regardless of all Logic.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Any new observations or sites to show their opinions?

(Thread Necromacy srry)

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Despite Roy's high request status in Japan, I just can't see him coming back. We've already got Marth, Ike is more then likely coming back, and there is undoubtedly going to be some Awakening representation in the form of Chrom and/or Lucina (I've seen many suggest that they'd be paired in a fashion similar the Diddy/Dixie idea).

I suppose there is still the small chance of him coming back, but I doubt Fire Emblem is big enough to warrant a whopping four slots.

Mewtwo is an entirely different story however.

D

Deleted member

I think this topic would be even more interesting if it also adds desires from Europeans Fanbase.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I think this topic would be even more interesting if it also adds desires from Europeans Fanbase.
From going on UK based sites, Prof. Layton is a reeeaaaalllyyy popular choice.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
From being in the UK I can make a few mentions, but while I've spoken about this in a number of places my sample is far from perfect. Other countries, and simply other parts of the UK may differ durastically

First Parties:

Pokémon: Mewtwo is practically the only requested Pokémon 'newcomer'. Alot of people want Pokémon Trainer to come back, and are worried he'll be cut too.

Mario: Rosalina is less popular, but still big, Bowser Jr is more popular. There was alot of backlash to Rosalina's reveal. The Waluigi meme isn't as strong, but people still do like him. He's less popular than Jr though.

DK: K.Rool is highly requested, but probably less so than the US. Dixie is much less mentioned.

LoZ: Re-worked Ganondorf, though the OoT boss battle is more popular than him sword. Tingle is mentioned about as much as Toon Zelda, but neither are highly requested. It should be noted that we actually quite like Tingle in the UK, but are mostly happy with him as an AT.

Metroid: Rarely comes up. The 'too big' argument barely exists, and as such people rarely consider Ridley. Moreover the Metroid games are generally less liked and a lot of people ask 'who's Ridley?' when I bring it up. Those who do know the series are generally positive about his inclusion once reminded however.

Yoshi: No-ones brought it up to my memory.

Kirby: Oddly not heard Bandanna Dee over here, though the animal buddies are often requested as ATs.

Star Fox: No-one asks for Krystal, and most people want Falco gone.

F-Zero: Black Shadow is more popular than Samurai Goroh, but that's not saying much. The games are unpopular and most people only know Black Shadow as the guy who got Falcon Punched in the youtube video, Samurai Goroh is not well recognised, even after saying he was an AT.

Mother: It's VERY split. jRPGs are more popular in Europe, and those who are fans of jRPGs want both characters to be kept, while those who don't want Lucas gone. No-one calls for newcomers, but we only recently got Earthbound released for the first time on the Wii U, we don't really know who they are.

Fire Emblem: Despite loving jRPGs, FE is the exception. No-one's really requested anyone apart from Roy.

KI: Palutena is fairly popular, but KI:U wasn't that hugely successful here. She's definitely not Elite Four like in America.

Pikmin: Some people bring up Rock and Flying Pikmin for Olimar, but that's about it.

Wario: Warioware is more popular, but this doesn't translate to character requests. People mostly talk about what minigames they want in the stage.

Retro: None are really well requested. The occasional Takamaru happens though.

Other: Isaac is the most requested character Nintendo character to my experience. Shulk gets a high number of requests too. Little Mac is less popular, but still bought up fairly frequently.. though I struggle to tell if this is expectation or want.

Third Parties:

Layton is the number 1 3rd party pick (after Megaman), and probably the most wanted character for smash... Isaac and him battle out for that spot.

Pacman's following is smaller, but still one of the largest.

Square Enix reps are more popular than in America, and there's more interest in DQ, though FF still wins out overall. It should be noted we mostly ask for Moogle (or Mog a lot of the time) rather than Black Mage. Sora and Cloud are practically never mentioned, though this may be my sample. KH is still popular, but not as much... generally we have more nostalgia for Warner Bros (and British kids shows too of course) than Disney, though this is changing for the younger ones.

More Sonic Characters is pretty popular, but mainly because of nostalgia (due to the botched NES release in our country meaning fewer older Mario fans), as such Shadow is practically unmentioned, but Tails and Knuckles are.

Snake is generally less popular, but still has veteran love.
Simon Belmont is about the same as in the west, but Bomberman is practically unmentioned.

Spyro is the next most mentioned (probably beating Belmont, but it's tough to say), with Rayman a little behind, but honestly we're scarping the barrel for requests at this stage.

I also hear a few requests for Arle Nadja, but I'm pretty sure this is my sample; since I play Puyo Puyo competitively I strive to get people into the series, and this has apparently worked to some extent :p.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, I'll take a shot on the french fanbase. Like Cheesybites, it won't really be accurate.

Mario: Divided fanbase, people happy about Rosalina, and people angry because she is not Bowser Jr.

Zelda: A lot of people want Toon Zelda or Toon Ganondorf (because two swords). Some Midna too, but really a few. And some Vaati too.
DK: K.Rool and Dixie are requested a lot, almost on the same level.

Metroid: Ridley is highly requested, and the too big debate is her (though we just make some fun of it)

Yoshi: Sometimes Kamek, but it's nothing like a big request.

Kirby: Not so much requests, some Bandana Dee and Magolor.

Starfox: A lot of people want Wolf or Falco gone for the benefit of Krystal.

F-Zero: Not so much talk, people don't really care. But it's Black Shadow, then Goroh.

Mother: Surprisingly a lot of request for Porky or the Masked Man.

Fire Emblem: A huge fanbase, so a lot of names a mentionned. Chrom, Daraen, mainly. Some Lyn too. A lot of FE fans tends to like the Idea of Daraen.
And Lucina is not that much requested because of Marth

Kid Icarus: Obviously, Palutena, and some Magnus too. Then Hades. And a few Medusa.

Pikmin: Some people want Alph with the rock/flying pikmin.

Wario: People tends to want more WarioLand representation. Only a few characters request, but it's between Mona and Syrup now.

Retro: Takamaru because a french youtuber mentioned it (he named him Takamura, so there's a lot of "Takamura request" :troll:), and sometimes the Duck Hunt Dog, but rarely.

Other: Isaac and Shulk comes a lot. Not so much Little Mac.

For third parties, a lot of people want Shadow as a second Sonic rep, and there's a lot of Pacman request. Surprisingly, there's some Bayonetta too. And also, as frenchies, there's a lot of Rayman :troll:

Last edited:

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Villager
Megaman
Wii Fit Trainer
Rosalina and Luma
Palutena
Mewtwo
Ridley
Dixie Kong
Chrom
Lil Mac
PAC man
Mii
5th Zelda Rep
Old Retro character

Ehh just what I assume the roster will be. Seems pretty obvious. If I get 5 of these right I'll be happy :) not counting the first 4 since they are confirmed already.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, because Mother, Fire Emblem and Star Fox are much higher-profile franchises for sure.

In general there are a lot of weird things mentioned in the blog, but from what I read from your little translation it's not much different from an opinionated blogger around our parts. In the end, this is just the opinion of one guy, so it's no big deal, but it's nice to at least get some insight from a Japanese guy anyways.
downloadfile-1.jpeg

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
It would likely be the same as the US one. Europeans can post on US message boards so there is less of a communication gap than there is with Japan.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Damn, Japan people have some great taste in characters. Never would I have guessed Genesect and Zoroark had Japanese support. Now I am cautiously optimistic about one of them being in SSB4. :'D (I am setting myself up to disappointments, aren't I?). Nice to see they at least acknowledge how requested Ridley and Little Mac are ~overseas~. Also, didn't know Japan liked King K. Rool :O

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
From going on UK based sites, Prof. Layton is a reeeaaaalllyyy popular choice.
Third Parties:

Layton is the number 1 3rd party pick (after Megaman), and probably the most wanted character for smash... Isaac and him battle out for that spot
Well that is pretty neat to hear. Though then again, the Layton series is the most popular in Europe and Japan after all. I do know that the Official Nintendo Magazine has Layton as one of their most wanted characters too oftentimes.

I wonder how requested Layton is in Japan, probably not as much but still would be nice to know...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It would likely be the same as the US one. Europeans can post on US message boards so there is less of a communication gap than there is with Japan.
Sort of yes.

Except that Little Mac was not that requested by many Europeans as Punch-Out games are kind of more USA-centered.

There's still the infamous Ridley's size debates too, to a smaller range and where there are almost as pros as dim-witted antis...

Krystal is also much more liked than in America and Japan.

And as for new series, I would say Shulk and Isaac are on the same high level.

Last edited by a moderator:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
So Sakurai is thinking about the US's popular choices, because Little Mac wasn't as popular in other countries.

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
So Sakurai is thinking about the US's popular choices, because Little Mac wasn't as popular in other countries.
Little Mac is to Japan what Takamaru is to America--a character that has some decent support among hardcore Smash fans, but is almost completely unheard of outside of the inner circle of speculation.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Little Mac is to Japan what Takamaru is to America--a character that has some decent support among hardcore Smash fans, but is almost completely unheard of outside of the inner circle of speculation.
Oh. That's pretty cool.

Takumaru confirmed!

D

Deleted member

I wonder how Japan feels about Little Mac getting confirmed.

I'm just glad to see Sakurai taking into consideration of the Smash fans worldwide.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dropkick JD

Unexpected Smash God
Roy isn't comming back. Dunno why people want a boring clone to return
I still don't know why people want Chrom so bad. There's a million other interesting characters from Awakening who could bring something new to the game, and as a Fire Emblem representative.

"nah we want da pretty boy with the sword tho".

To each their own.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I still don't know why people want Chrom so bad. There's a million other interesting characters from Awakening who could bring something new to the game, and as a Fire Emblem representative.

To each their own.
To be fair most FE male characters fall under the pretty boy category, but I digress.

While I think Chrom is the most likely, I'm hoping Robin (aka the Avatar) gets in. For one thing he could use magic attacks instead of the typical sword that every FE rep has used up to this point. But at the same time it'll be yet another customizable character similar to WFT (she has a male counterpart), Villager, and, if they get in, Miis.

Spears In Smash Bros.

Smash Journeyman

To each their own.
To me it seems that for every Chrom supporter, there is at least one person who supports a different Awakening character, usually Robin or Lucina, or occasionally a character like Anna. Lots of Tharja supporters too, but come on, really?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I don't care about Roy much, but still that would be a better scenario then replacing a good character with something not so good.

You know, like Project M does it.
So.... why cannot SSB4 have Chrom if Project M already has Roy and Ike?

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
It is a bit disheartening knowing that a few characters I support have little to no world wide support

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I know that this data was collected about the time when Sakurai might have been deciding the roster, so it gives me a little hope for Dixie and K. Rool. If this data would have had a major influence on the roster, I would be satisfied, since the S-B tier contains 5 of my most wanted characters.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

To each their own.
No other character from Awakening could believably make it in besides Robin, so people root for one of those two. It's pretty simple.

It is a bit disheartening knowing that a few characters I support have little to no world wide support
Right there with you. Damn shame that Nintendo never really marketed Advance Wars at all in Japan; the lack of any real Japanese visibility seriously hurts AW's chances for a rep. It's especially bizarre since all the previous games in the Wars series were Japan-only.

I wonder if even many of the more hardcore Smash fans in Japan are aware of Advance Wars and consider a rep even a remote possibility.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I've asked a forum member over at NL if he knows anything specific about wishlists in Japan. He actually lives there so maybe we can get a more personal angle on what they are asking for.

I'll report back when he replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom