1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 150,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 15 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3. Trying to find the perfect gift? Use the Smashboards Store to get awesome Smash accessories, like a Nintendo Controller! Please check out the inventory in our store and support Smashboards with your purchase today!

4. Guest, we are currently running a contest to determine the best guide on Smashboards! $200 is up for grabs! Go here for details and to submit your candidate! Guide Contest Info!

Observations on the Japanese Fanbase's Desires for Smash 4 (by Chronobound)

Discussion in 'Wii U / 3DS Character Discussion' started by SmashChu, Jul 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmashChu

SmashChu Smash Master

This has been posted before, but there have been a lot of new faces that have joined and there is more talk about Smash Brothers. So, it may be a good time to share this information. Chronobound did some research on the Japanese fanbase and the following are his results. The information in this thread is from GameFAQ and includes some of his replies to other members about characters.

The following was made by Chronobound/Snakey and not by me. This is all his work, so if you are re-posting this information, please give him credit.

Here are my latest observations on what I have seen on Japanese forums, websites, and blogs when the topic of Smash 4 comes up.

Mario: Surprisingly, there is little demand for a Mario newcomer. Requests come up for nearly every Mario character, but each one of them does not have much requests.

Donkey Kong: K. Rool is amongst the most requested newcomers outside the cut Melee duo. Dixie Kong is also highly requested.

The Legend of Zelda: Its Ghirahim. After that its Toon Zelda. Tingle rarely comes up. Its important to note that Skyward Sword was by far the lowest selling 3D Zelda in Japan.

Metroid: Metroid requests rarely come up. However, I have seen posts mentioning Ridley's "overseas popularity".

Yoshi: Yoshi requests never come up.

Kirby: Waddle Dee (Bandanna). Before Return to Dream Land's release, it seemed that Gooey was the choice in regards to a fourth playable Kirby character.

Star Fox: Requests are uncommon, but when they do come up its usually Krystal, Leon, or Slippy. None of these characters have a notable amount of request volume.

Pokemon: Mewtwo is one of the two most requested characters. After him, its probably Zoroark for this series. Zoroark is definitely one of the names that comes up a lot, but how much of this is "expected" versus actually "wanted" is hard to determine. Requests also come up for B/W Trainer, Victini, and most recently Genesect. Genesect has a lot of potential to grow, imo.

F-Zero: Requests for a F-Zero newcomer usually go to Black Shadow. A lot of people want Black Shadow to be voiced by Norio Wakamoto.

Mother: Requests are uncommon, but when it does happen I usually see Kumatora.

Fire Emblem: Roy is one of the two most requested characters. After him, its Chrom for this series. Chrom is definitely one of the names that comes up a lot, but how much of this is "expected" versus actually "wanted" is hard to determine. A distant third is Lucina, who recently has taken up the mantle as the most wanted female Fire Emblem newcomer (that tiara last belonged to Micaiah over there). However, there is a debate amongst Lucina supporters whether her place would be better as a costume of Marth or a stand-alone character.

Kid Icarus: Palutena is the only character of this series that gets a large amount of requests. However, Palutena is definitely amongst the most wanted characters outside the cut Melee duo.

Pikmin: Pikmin requests never happen.

Wario: Wario requests never happen.

Retro: Retro requests are surprisingly uncommon. However, when it does happen its usually Takamaru.

Other: Shulk gets quite a lot of requests. Shulk is easily the most requested Nintendo character from a series not represented yet with a playable character in Smash Bros. A distant second would be Starfy. There are several Japanese Smash fans that mention Punch-Out and Little Mac's "overseas" popularity. Isaac (Robin in Japan) and Matthew get few requests. Saki and Isa also get few requests.

Third-party: Mega Man is by far the most requested third-party character, and the only one that comes up a lot. Mega Man is definitely amonst the most wanted characters outside the cut Melee duo. Aside from Mega Man, there is a lot of arguing and flame wars in regards to Namco. There is arguing not just about whether a Namco character should even be added, but amongst those who think one should be added there is no consensus. There are flame wars about which Tekken and Tales of character would be best for Smash Bros.

Here is a basic tier list amongst the characters that tend to get the most requests:

S:
    Mewtwo
    Roy

A:
    Mega Man
    Palutena
    Shulk
    K. Rool

B:
    Dixie Kong
    Chrom
    Zoroark

Waddle Dee

After that there is a large dropoff, and its quite difficult to group. However, most of the character requests are with these characters.

Also, its important noting that Toad is very popular in Japan, though this does not translate to Smash Bros. requests since these is a deep pessimism that his permanent role in the Smash Bros. series is as Peach's special. If such pessimism did not exist, Toad would definitely be amongst the most wanted newcomers for Smash 4 in Japan (possibly in the A-tier range).

That is pretty much what I saw. Sakurai has probably already decided most of the spots on the roster.

C-Tier

Source

Some other findings, Cutousy of Groose
  2. Keto

Keto Smash Journeyman

Glad you posted this, I was curious about the popularity difference between regions.
    MasterLuigi and Pacack like this.
  3. Xenigma

Xenigma Smash Ace

NNID:
    Xenigma
    Been thinking a lot lately that Black Shadow would be a great inclusion both as a solid second rep for F-Zero and as an ideal home for Ganondorf's old clone moveset should he be decloned. Glad to hear the Japanese agree, even though his popularity is based on the anime (I'm just an F-Zero fan who wishes we could get a new game already).

Thanks for posting, this is a chunky read!
    MasterLuigi, Kapus and Pacack like this.
  4. Sid-cada

Sid-cada Smash Journeyman

While I was here during my lurker days when this was posted (or was it while I was reading the archive? I forget), this is definitely something that I can appreciate. As I consider Chronobound to be the source for what is in Japan, having this is really helpful.

Maybe we should sticky this.
  5. Soul Blazer

Soul Blazer Maximum Heat

• Premium
    3DS FC:
    3866-9352-0863
    NNID:
    FlareHabanero
    It's worth noting that the data presented above is somewhat outdated, since this data was gathered last March. I've actually wanted to get an update on this information due to the reveal of the next Super Smash Bros. possibly shaking up information. Unfortunately, Chrono won't provide an update for a while due to his busy schedule.
    Pacack likes this.
  6. MorbidAltruism

MorbidAltruism Smash Legend

3DS FC:
    0877-1289-3869
    They are debating which Tekken or Tales of character will make it in? It is kind of funny that everyone here just assumes Pac-Man is the only possibility. I am digging the Lucina support though. I also wanted the return of Mewtwo. I guess I am content with the new Mewtwo though. I am surprised there isn't much demand for Ridley. I guess that is just here. I already knew about the Little Mac vs Takamaru thing. I guess here in Murica we like MMA and boxing... and in Japan they like Samurais? Seems legit. :p
    MasterLuigi likes this.
  7. Soul Blazer

Soul Blazer Maximum Heat

• Premium
    3DS FC:
    3866-9352-0863
    NNID:
    FlareHabanero
    Ironically, Takamaru is actually discussed less in Japan.
  8. SmashChu

SmashChu Smash Master

It's should be good. It was done in December, and Sakurai has said they aren't doing anymore research so this comes at a good point before that.

Chrono mentioned that the difference between his first and second run were Chrom, Waddle Dee and Palutena moving up due to new releases.
    Reila and Chandelure like this.
  9. Ridley1994

Ridley1994 Smash Cadet

I shouldn't be shocked about where major demand for Ridley comes from,but I am.
  10. Diddy Kong

Diddy Kong Smash Legend

Again a nice reminder that King K.Rool and Dixie are still popular in Japan :cool:
  11. TheTuninator

TheTuninator Smash Lord

Thanks for this, Chronobound. Glad to hear Palutena has that much support. Interesting to see that Little Mac has not much support in Japan, which I had suspected but had no real proof of. If he gets in, that will be a welcome sign that Sakurai is weighing the desires of the international fanbase more heavily this time around. Bodes well for Shulk that he is that popular over in Japan, as well.

Makes sense. Part of his appeal is the whole samurai archetype, and they no doubt find that much less exotic and interesting.
  12. BluePikmin11

BluePikmin11 Smash Legend

This surely would remind people to Add Starfy their rosters.
  13. Young Horsetail

Young Horsetail Smash Hero

3DS FC:
    2793-0906-0731
    NNID:
    IndyGo98

Maybe, but I still have this little feeling that Starfy has not much way of working as a playable if Brawl was any indication (he's in the same boat as Sukapon?)
  14. BluePikmin11

BluePikmin11 Smash Legend

Starfy has some intense popularity in Japan, and now that Starfy's games are released worldwide, it might be a perfect to have Starfy as much as Little Mac has a chance.
  15. HeroMystic

HeroMystic Nameless Commander

• Premium
    3DS FC:
    2191-8960-7738
    NNID:
    HeroineYaoki
    A lot of these don't surprise me, especially when it comes to the Fire Emblem series.

Seeing Shulk getting requested a lot though is kinda surprising, but he's also an excellent choice from an excellent game.
  16. Starphoenix

Starphoenix Flame of a Hundred Suns

3DS FC:
    2122-6914-9465
    NNID:
    GalaxyPhoenix

This is proof that Sakurai does not to add many new characters in order to please most of the fans. Although by no means an exhaustive list, if Sakurai was using similar boards to base his initial pool of characters, then it is not surprising he is done with character selection for the most part. Funny how Ridley, Little Mac and Takamaru are mostly products of Western influence while everyone else is pretty much universal.

Personally speaking, I do enjoy seeing Starfy and Waddle Dee in discussion. Though both characters are not blazing the boards here I think both offer fantastic gameplay opportunities.
    Young Horsetail and Opossum like this.
  17. Erimir

Erimir Smash Lord

3DS FC:
    3823-8583-9137
    I find it interesting that a couple of the characters people bring up here that are Japan-only or much more popular in Japan aren't actually that popular for Smash there.

Tingle, Takamaru and Lip being the two main ones along those lines. Makes me think they're quite unlikely, although at least Takamaru got a reference in Nintendo Land.

Star Tropics being not very well-known in the US and not even released in Japan makes him quite unlikely.

If Sakurai is concerned about how people will receive his character selections, it seems likely he's likely to pick from the characters popular both in the US and Japan. Within limits, of course. It seems unlikely that we'd see Marth, Roy, Ike and Chrom. But it does seriously help Mewtwo, K Rool, Palutena, Shulk, Dixie, Roy and Chrom. Combined with the fact that ones like Mewtwo, K Rool and Palutena would be obviously unique, and they seem to have pretty strong chances (not that the others can't be unique, they just require more thought).

As well as Black Shadow and Starfy, although they're still not high on the list.

Hopefully Sakurai considers desires of the West as well for Ridley and Little Mac. Fire Emblem initially, Lucas and Jigglypuff are in the game more because of Japan than the West, and there doesn't seem to be as much catering to the West (as in, inclusion of characters that wouldn't make the cut were it not for Western support/games not released in Japan). Is there any character in that wouldn't make the cut were it not for the West? I could see possibly saying that for Zero-Suit Samus, but that's about it...
  18. TheTuninator

TheTuninator Smash Lord

Didn't Tingle have some new game(s) releasing in Japan in the past year, or were those earlier? If he's had new material he may have become more popular.

That being said, it looks like we're on track to get at least one Western-centric pick, as Little Mac seems a likely newcomer right now. I personally would love to see some picks aimed at the massive international fanbase to balance out the Japan-only characters we've gotten.
  19. FalKoopa

FalKoopa Blue and Green

• Back Roomer
    3DS FC:
    1650-3685-3998
    NNID:
    FalKoopa

Well, Tingle is "relevant" again due to Wind Waker HD. :p
    Arcadenik likes this.
  20. TheTuninator

TheTuninator Smash Lord

Well, that too. I thought he had his own games, though?
  21. Dark Phazon

Dark Phazon Smash Master

Damn Mewtwo & K.Rool are killing it globaly like Real G's kinda upset about Ridley though...hmmmm. Nice threads and props to Chu & ChronoB
  22. foolssigma

foolssigma Smash Ace

NNID:
    q_TP_p
    Glad to see Shulk, Palutena, and K Rool rallying support across the globe. This bodes well for my personal requested characters. Now we just need the reveal trailers and I'll be waiting happily in peace. (Of course I know this doesn't really mean much, since Sakurai is unpredictable in his choices)
  23. FalKoopa

FalKoopa Blue and Green

• Back Roomer
    3DS FC:
    1650-3685-3998
    NNID:
    FalKoopa

Yeah, he has two DS games (one of which was released in Europe) and DSiWare app to his name.
  24. @tomic

@tomic Smash Apprentice

Interesting.

I wonder if anyone in Japan did something like this for Western character desires. Would be interested to see their take on what we want over here.
  25. Sebz

Sebz Luchador Extraordinaire

• Premium
    Reila likes this.
  26. Wariofan1

Wariofan1 Smash Hero

3DS FC:
    3668-8628-9446
    NNID:
    MasterOfKnees
    Nothing much that I didn't know in advance here, Black Shadow came off a bit as a surprise though, also Little Mac's low popularity compared to over here. The only real shocker is Kumatora getting more requests than Masked Man or Porky for a Mother rep. Masked Man just seemed to me like a sure hit for the Japanese audience, but I guess not.

Other than that this info is why I'm very confident in K. Rool. Ridley's overseas popularity can easily get him in regardless, so that's not what worries me too much either.

I wonder if they have a "Observations on the rest of the world's desires for Smash 4" thread too? :p Many are probably a bit shocked by Ridley's popularity I imagine.
    Why-I'm-I-Here and Mr. Mumbles like this.
  27. grizby2

grizby2 Smash Ace

kumatora? really?
    I wonder what their reasons are. I can only imagine kumatora having a similar style (not move set) to ness/lucas, considering both ness and lucas bother get most of their special moves from their own respective female party memebers in the games they're from. if I had to choose from another character from mother 3, id have to choose Duster since he'd offer a different play-style with a complete absence of Psi abilities....
  28. D3monicWolv3s

D3monicWolv3s Smash Ace

Didn't see black shadow coming.

Surprised Kumatora is more wanted than masked man, but I'm not surprised she's the most requested outside him. She was the most vocal character in the game.

Rest of it not really surprised at all by, but was interesting to know.
  29. SmashChu

SmashChu Smash Master

I think that's because we generally discuss more than Japan. They also limit their views of characters I feel. Look at Shortie's poll and you'll see a larger variety of characters.

Starfy is not very high. The thing you can see from this is there are some universal request: Shulk, Palutena, K. Rool and Chrom. Starfy doesn't appear to much over here.

It should be noted that the C Tier was not in the original post. Chrono mentioned it latter on and there is a big gap between B and C if I understand correctly.
    They know that Ridley and Little Mac (and the Punch-Out series) are very popular over here.
  30. BlitznBurst

BlitznBurst Smash Ace

Hm. This is interesting to know I guess. It's nice to know that K. Rool is popular in Japan as well.

I understand from the post that Mewtwo is very heavily requested, but is there any discussion on the inclusion of his new Forme? Or do they just want him as he was in Melee?
  31. Kikwi-Kiwi

Kikwi-Kiwi Puzzles...

3DS FC:
    5413-1097-4150

I think Sakurai said sometime recently that he is "Thinking about it" when talking about Mewtwo's new forme. Or something along those lines...
  32. BlitznBurst

BlitznBurst Smash Ace

Do they ever talk about Geno? I don't care much about him myself, but with all his support over here it would be nice to know the Japanese fanbase's opinions on him
    Micro likes this.
  33. Dark Phazon

Dark Phazon Smash Master

I would be cool with just mewtwo or mewtwo with new form as transformation or FS but i dont want them to just stick in new mewtwo....
  34. Swampasaur

Swampasaur President Ivysaur and Vice President Charizard!

• Back Roomer
    3DS FC:
    4141-2776-0914
    NNID:
    Swampasaur

Geno is talked about in the spoiler tag.

Apparently, he's about the same as other Mario characters.
  35. 鉄腕アトム

鉄腕アトム Earth's Mightiest Robot

• Premium
    NNID:
    astarisborn1994

You really have to appreciate ChronoBound's work here (ToiseofChoice also did a little back in August, 2011). For someone who is so busy with life, the fact that he's done so much is really a great feat. It's the closest we have to what Japanese popularity is for now.
  36. Mirron

Mirron Smash Journeyman

Here I thought this might have been an older topic, but it was just one pushed down really fast in three hours. Just to clarify, it's Nanoha, though I honestly don't know what would make Japanese fans think she would be in Smash. Immensely popular or not, she hasn't had any video games as near as I'm aware just about, and the only ones I know of were both for the PSP, so it's not like she'd be a likely choice.

That out of the way (mostly was worried I'd forget that), I'd say this bodes very well for some characters I've been wanting to see in Smash, namely Mewtwo and Palutena. I'm not really sure who all we'll see, and who all will be cut, but overall I'd say it sounds pretty positive for the things I'd like to see. I'm just kind of surprised that they're so... popular, since I didn't expect Palutena to be nearly that wanted of a character. Even more of a pleasant surprise is Bandana Dee though. It is immensely funny to me that if he gets in Kirby will have completed the weapon triangle prior to Fire Emblem, when it's not one of the series I'd expect to complete it. Maybe a change here and there, but the top 10 characters would be an ultimately satisfactory roster, along with a presumable Namco choice (possibly someone else to balance the numbers added, but then I'm also being a bit silly to expect an even number).
  37. SmashKing201

SmashKing201 Smash Journeyman

After reading this, I'm curious about the Europe & Australia's take on requested characters.
  38. IsmaR

IsmaR Still Waiting

• Premium
    Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
    3DS FC:
    3179-6068-0031
    NNID:
    Super_Sand_Lezbo
    ^ I would think there's less discrepancy between the countries/continents due to arguably not having as much of a language barrier.

Plus we do have European and Australian members here, after all.

Fascinating read, Chrono.
  39. TheMagicalKuja

TheMagicalKuja Smash Champion

3DS FC:
    2020-0988-7919
    Intrigue.

Most of the Japan-loyal characters are already in, so it's mostly a game of what has universal appeal. There's still a chance of some surprises though, so I wonder what the JP fanbase feels now.
  40. SmashChu

SmashChu Smash Master

Europeans and Austrailians can post on US boards and vice versa. Their opinions are likely captured on Shortie's poll.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.