• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Observations on the Japanese Fanbase's Desires for Smash 4 (by Chronobound)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

bump...

So that others can see this and enlighten themselves.

Reznor

work in progress
the list seems awesome but I wonder how much it has changed in 3 months (I think some one said something about 5th gen pokemon not being as requested anymore)

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I'm curious to know what Japan's views are now in regards to Toon Link's early reveal.

Reznor

work in progress
Probably happiness.

I'm not sure about anything else.
I bet they don't have to deal with people asking for Goku or Shadow :glare:

now I wonder who are their "Goku and Shadow" if ya know what I mean

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I bet they don't have to deal with people asking for Goku or Shadow :glare:

now I wonder who are their "Goku and Shadow" if ya know what I mean
No. They still do.

Anime characters are even MORE popular there.

Reznor

work in progress
No. They still do.

Anime characters are even MORE popular there.
and I thought they had it easier over there :laugh:

at least they don't have to deal with Anti Ridley logic as much as we do so it kinda evens out

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
at least they don't have to deal with Anti Ridley logic as much as we do so it kinda evens out
I'm fairly certain that they probably find pro-Ridley people annoying over there, considering their complete disinterest in Metroid.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm fairly certain that they probably find pro-Ridley people annoying over there, considering their complete disinterest in Metroid.
I wouldn't say annoying.

Just "meh."

From what I've heard, there's no hatebase. Just disinterest.

Reznor

work in progress
being disinterested doesn't mean they hate Ridley

now I wanna know what Japanese sites were used to gather the info for the list

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
LOL I imagine adding Pac-Man would cause a butthurt epidemic in Japan, effectively ending a flame war between Tekken fans and Tales fans. :troll:

Sakurai already said no to characters from fighting games (Tekken, Soulcalibur, Street Fighter, etc.) so technically, Tales "won" the flame war. But Tales is a niche series in the West whereas Pac-Man is Pac-Man, a highly marketable character and a gaming icon. Pac-Man has more history with Nintendo and Mario.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
being disinterested doesn't mean they hate Ridley

now I wanna know what Japanese sites were used to gather the info for the list
It's in the OP somewhere. If not, check the link to the original thread. He says it there.

LOL I imagine adding Pac-Man would cause a butthurt epidemic in Japan, effectively ending a flame war between Tekken fans and Tales fans. :troll:

Sakurai already said no to characters from fighting games (Tekken, Soulcalibur, Street Fighter, etc.) so technically, Tales "won" the flame war. But Tales is a niche series in the West whereas Pac-Man is Pac-Man, a highly marketable character and a gaming icon. Pac-Man has more history with Nintendo and Mario.
Does matter because Pac-Man wont happen. Sakuria is already not keen on having a lot of third party characters. Likewise, he is not going to add a character no one is asking for. Both in the west and east, Pac-Man is expected, but not wanted. His only presence is Shorties poll where he is ranked 17th (pretty low). So it's irrelevant anyway.

If Pac-Man happens, you'll see a lot of disinterest and disappointment from Japan and the west.

Michael Blaine

Smash Apprentice
Pacman is only hated by too cool forum kids. I guarantee you the masses would be happy if he is in.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Pacman is only hated by too cool forum kids. I guarantee you the masses would be happy if he is in.
He didn't say people hate him, he just said most are indifferent

That's up for debate, of course, but there is a pretty clear line between indifference and hate

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Pretty certain that if Pac-Man is playable in Smash, there will be memes about him just like with Villager and Wii Fit Trainer.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
I would want Lloyd more than Pac-Man because I love the Tales series and I think Lloyd would fit better in Smash.

Spears In Smash Bros.

Smash Journeyman
I don't really want Lloyd OR Pac-Man as playable characters. Assist trophies, perhaps, but not playable characters.
[collapse=wahoo]Speaking of which, how popular is Klonoa as a Smash candidate?[/collapse]
Also, have announcements about Pokemon X & Y affected Japanese requests for Pokemon reps?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Guess I'll bring this up.

People know Pac-Man, but when they think of Pac-Man, they think of this, not this. This is in part why does does so poorly on these polls despite being a very well known character. People don't see Pac-Man as a character so much as the yellow circle who eats dots. They don't see a potential character. They see a circle. Sonic and Megaman have far less exposure than Pac-Man, but people see the character and see them working better in the setting of Smash.

D

Deleted member

I'm glad that we can see some insight as to what the Japanese players are thinking and what they want. It's rather interesting to be honest. I'm actually pretty surprised that the Japanese wants Ghirahim despite Skyward Sword being the worst selling 3D Zelda game over there. I am glad to see Mewtwo, Shulk, King K. Rool, and Bandana Waddle Dee being on these "tiers" since I would LOVE to see them be playable in SSB4.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Guess I'll bring this up.

People know Pac-Man, but when they think of Pac-Man, they think of this, not this. This is in part why does does so poorly on these polls despite being a very well known character. People don't see Pac-Man as a character so much as the yellow circle who eats dots. They don't see a potential character. They see a circle. Sonic and Megaman have far less exposure than Pac-Man, but people see the character and see them working better in the setting of Smash.
Yeah... you are correct.

People know Wii Fit, but when they think of Wii Fit, they think of this or this, not this or this.

People know Animal Crossing, but when they think of Animal Crossing, they think of this or this, not this or this.

I mean, that's why Wii Fit Trainer and Villager always did so poorly on these polls.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I mean, that's why Wii Fit Trainer and Villager always did so poorly on these polls.
Yes, that is why they did poorly. People can only vote based on the information they have. Unexpected characters getting announced doesn't mean the reasoning that made them unexpected was wrong.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yes, it does. It proved that their logic was wrong and flawed. :troll:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Except for Roy being so high I don't think their tastes are that weird.

One thing I would be interested to know is how much Slime is hampered by the "hurp durp, he has no arms or legs" argument that we see on this sight.. And the comparison of overall Dragon Quest discussion and Megaman. Japanese normally struggle at thinking out of the box so I think the chances are hurt by that.. I just wish I knew how much.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I'm happy from reading that Japan really loves Palutena a lot. What would make me even happier is if she does become playable, making their wish and my wish come true.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
They need to put in both Waddle Dee and Toad in SSB4! Imagine that... the four heroes of KRTDL and the four heroes of SMB2 and SM3DW in SSB4? I would love it so much!!! :awesome:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Yes, it does. It proved that their logic was wrong and flawed. :troll:
No, it doesn't. Unlikely things happen all the time. Sakurai has information we don't. There are many reasons a justified belief can turn out not to be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom