• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Observations on the Japanese Fanbase's Desires for Smash 4 (by Chronobound)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I'm surprised that there is not much Ridley want overseas. I wonder why? I'm mean just look at Smash Board's Ridley want thread.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm surprised that there is not much Ridley want overseas. I wonder why? I'm mean just look at Smash Board's Ridley want thread.
From what I understood. Metroid isn't as popular in Japan compared to the West, hence why there isn't as much demand for Ridley over there.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I see your "Very few people in the West knows who Lip is" and raise you a "Very few people in Japan know who Little Mac is". Evidently reactions to him in Japan were decidedly lukewarm.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Does anyone know how popular Saki from Sin and Punishment is in Japan? I know he was popular pre-Brawl but I don't know what his support looks like now.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
So I don't know much of this Nick/Captain Rainbow fellow, cause his game never got here.

But Birdo, Little Mac, and Lip are all in his game. And this Captain Rainbow is really wanted in Japan.

So obviously they should give us Birdo.

D

Deleted member

So I don't know much of this Nick/Captain Rainbow fellow, cause his game never got here.

But Birdo, Little Mac, and Lip are all in his game. And this Captain Rainbow is really wanted in Japan.
Captain Rainbow is filled with Nintendo's most obscure characters, but oddly Captain Rainbow and his game are obscure. Seeing that he had any form of support in that poll honestly surprised me since the sales of his game were a joke (so bad that the European port was cancelled).

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I feel that the fact that Roy is up there with Mewtwo (friggin' Mewtwo!) in Japanese popularity, greatly increases his popularity.

Think about it this way:
- Little Mac got in with the West exploding with popularity about him, while Japan overlooked him.

If Japan (the country were Smash is being made, I might add) is exploding in popularity over Roy, then that means that Roy has a pretty decent shot.

Mac got in with ONLY THE WEST praising him, and with Japan completely ignoring him. He got in with this little bit of popularity. Sakurai noticed a boom of popularity overseas. Wouldn't he notice a boom of popularity WHERE HE LIVES?

Not only does Roy have Japan going nuts about him, but he has some decent popularity here in the West too!

This popularity greatly increases his chances in my eyes! He seems to be the Little Mac of Japan!
He appears to be a less popular Mewtwo, given his universal popularity (only certain characters has universal popularity, like Mega Man and K. Rool).

Thoughts, anyone?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I feel that the fact that Roy is up there with Mewtwo (friggin' Mewtwo!) in Japanese popularity, greatly increases his popularity.

Think about it this way:
- Little Mac got in with the West exploding with popularity about him, while Japan overlooked him.

If Japan (the country were Smash is being made, I might add) is exploding in popularity over Roy, then that means that Roy has a pretty decent shot.

Mac got in with ONLY THE WEST praising him, and with Japan completely ignoring him. He got in with this little bit of popularity. Sakurai noticed a boom of popularity overseas. Wouldn't he notice a boom of popularity WHERE HE LIVES?

Not only does Roy have Japan going nuts about him, but he has some decent popularity here in the West too!

This popularity greatly increases his chances in my eyes! He seems to be the Little Mac of Japan!
He appears to be a less popular Mewtwo, given his universal popularity (only certain characters has universal popularity, like Mega Man and K. Rool).

Thoughts, anyone?
I've often considered this myself. He is HUGE in Japan and one of the few characters they are actually asking for looking at this thread. Some may consider Takamaru the eastern version of our Little Mac, but it looks like Roy trumps him in sheer requests. Japan would probably quite enjoy Project M judging by many just wanting Brawl + Mewtwo and Roy.

I have a good feeling that we'll probably see Roy return in SOME form, even if it's in the first (hypothetical) DLC pack.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I've often considered this myself. He is HUGE in Japan and one of the few characters they are actually asking for looking at this thread. Some may consider Takamaru the eastern version of our Little Mac, but it looks like Roy trumps him in sheer requests. Japan would probably quite enjoy Project M judging by many just wanting Brawl + Mewtwo and Roy.

I have a good feeling that we'll probably see Roy return in SOME form, even if it's in the first (hypothetical) DLC pack.
I pity the poor souls who won't get Roy via DLC when Wii U's Wi-Fi connection is eventually shut down and they bought SSB4 far too late.

Why make DLC when they could have just made SSB5 instead?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I pity the poor souls who won't get Roy via DLC when Wii U's Wi-Fi connection is eventually shut down and they bought SSB4 far too late.

Why make DLC when they could have just made SSB5 instead?
(best Toad chance bro. No, not that.)

While I don't speak for everyone a few additional characters scattered throughout SSB4's many many years prior to the creation of Smash 5 will renew interest in the game for longer amongst less hardcore Smash fans. It also keeps the game getting new updates; balance patches and the like most likely done for free with the additional cast there to keep Sakurai's team in work.

One of the few problems I do have with Smash is the sheer amount of time you have to wait between games(roughly one per console, with some consoles having more longevity than others). I'm not expecting a new version every single year like Street Fighter used to enjoy doing(dunno if it still does) but this seems like a reasonable way to include optional newcomers...

One of my favourite games to do meaty DLC was Borderlands 2 and the additional campaigns and characters are all nicely polished, updated and patched regularly.

If Sakurai is worried he won't have time to bring back everyone, this seems like the most logical route in this day and age which can also generate income.
Obviously on disc DLC is right off, but I don't see how an optional Melee pack would hurt too many people, since chances are they'd waste that same disposable income on games they will barely touch.

I know I have. Damn you Steam Sales! Even if a whole game is £2, it's not worth it if I only play Team Fortress 2; a free to play game at this point.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Well that is pretty neat to hear. Though then again, the Layton series is the most popular in Europe and Japan after all. I do know that the Official Nintendo Magazine has Layton as one of their most wanted characters too oftentimes.

I wonder how requested Layton is in Japan, probably not as much but still would be nice to know...
Still holding out for that Layton reveal eh?

Me too.. It's sad that he has such a small chance. :(

Oh cool Monster Hunter. XD
Didn't think he would be requested in Japan.
0_o

I mean, I like Monster Hunter, but Monster Hunter???

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Still holding out for that Layton reveal eh?

Me too.. It's sad that he has such a small chance. :(
Not a reveal as I've more or less came to terms that he is most likely not making it in, but I would like to know how much he is being requested in Japan.

But yeah, it's a shame indeed but oh well. :/

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Not a reveal as I've more or less came to terms that he is most likely not making it in, but I would like to know how much he is being requested in Japan.

But yeah, it's a shame indeed but oh well. :/
As the French say: "C'est la vie". :/

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
As the French say: "C'est la vie". :/
Oui. :/

Ah well, we should still raise support for him though even if things aren't looking in his favor. Layton just needs more support really as his own creator is already more than happy to see him in Smash. c:

Smady

Smash Master
Layton's one of those characters popular a little everywhere in the world. More in Europe, especially the UK. Most people probably consider it a British game because of the strongly British themes and stereotypes, a true kitsch representation of the country.

It's a bit like Little Mac or Ridley being popular in the West, despite being developed in the East. I'd love to hear any examples of characters originating in the West and becoming popular in the East, that is rare.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I would like if Roy returned. He was always chosen over Marth in Melee for me. It is rather amazing that Roy is almost as wanted as the great Mewtwo.

Of course the question of if either's popularity will get them back remains to be answered.

Smady

Smash Master
Ah great example. K. Rool is popular in Japan and was created in Britain. It's funny how K. Rool's popularity outstretches the Japan-made Ridley.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Ratchet and Clank is probably more popular in Japan, and a bunch of western cartoon characters are more popular over there too... Hanna-Barbara is particularly notable.

If we're not talking more popular then there's basically everything Nick and Disney (the latter can be felt through the power of KH).

Last edited:

Smady

Smash Master
I meant purely video game characters, of course cartoons are very popular over there. It's not as common in video games.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
True... well aside from Ratchet and Clank there's a number of series that have huge followings; Starcraft and Tetris are again probably more popular in JPN than in the west, though these don't really have characters (L-Block doesn't count)... it's difficult, mainly because western games tend not to have characters.

Most of the big western AAA game either have a purposefully bland protagonist so you can project yourself onto them (see COD, HALO and the like) has you go god-mode (Starcraft, SIMs) or customisable avatars (see TES, Fallout). We don't have as many characters in our video-games so it's not really a fair comparison.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
So I was never really a big Roy player, what's the dealio with him?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Layton's one of those characters popular a little everywhere in the world. More in Europe, especially the UK. Most people probably consider it a British game because of the strongly British themes and stereotypes, a true kitsch representation of the country.

It's a bit like Little Mac or Ridley being popular in the West, despite being developed in the East. I'd love to hear any examples of characters originating in the West and becoming popular in the East, that is rare.
The representation in the Layton games seem to span more towards the earlier years than the current time period of the UK. Not to mention the lack of London Eye in central London and the obvious tea drinking and true gentleman stereotypes the games follow. Then again, they do also apparently deal with Robots and some more advanced technology so where exactly the series spans is probably in its own alternate universe of the UK.

Though you are right, the fact the series takes place in the UK is probably one of the reasons why the series is the most popular here and overall in Europe. I think the same thing happened with Zombie-U too, the setting was in the UK too and from what I recall the game was pretty popular here too but not as much in the US. Guess some games probably do better in certain regions if the setting is based off of them... :/

The Layton series is still pretty popular all over though, but most particularly in the UK.

Smady

Smash Master
The representation in the Layton games seem to span more towards the earlier years than the current time period of the UK. Not to mention the lack of London Eye in central London and the obvious tea drinking and true gentleman stereotypes the games follow. Then again, they do also apparently deal with Robots and some more advanced technology so where exactly the series spans is probably in its own alternate universe of the UK.

Though you are right, the fact the series takes place in the UK is probably one of the reasons why the series is the most popular here and overall in Europe. I think the same thing happened with Zombie-U too, the setting was in the UK too and from what I recall the game was pretty popular here too but not as much in the US. Guess some games probably do better in certain regions if the setting is based off of them... :/

The Layton series is still pretty popular all over though, but most particularly in the UK.
The best explanation I've heard for the Layton universe is that it's the Japanese interpretation of what Britain is like in the 20th century. It's a very classical, conservative portrayal and one that strongly resonates with the nostalgic, which is why it fits so well into a video game as a strong connecting theme, where there isn't room for a hugely descriptive backstory or lore. It does its job admirably filling in the gaps where exposition can't exist.

It's refreshing for me to be honest, the setting is probably one of the strongest parts of the 'story' Layton has in each game. The whimsical, quaint little English setting is really unique when you compare to most video games. It has a strong sense of self and identity. I think that's a large part of why it's so popular and caught on so well all over the world, not just in Japan. Hopefully the intense popularity he had on the DS means he'll get into Smash 4.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The best explanation I've heard for the Layton universe is that it's the Japanese interpretation of what Britain is like in the 20th century. It's a very classical, conservative portrayal and one that strongly resonates with the nostalgic, which is why it fits so well into a video game as a strong connecting theme, where there isn't room for a hugely descriptive backstory or lore. It does its job admirably filling in the gaps where exposition can't exist.

It's refreshing for me to be honest, the setting is probably one of the strongest parts of the 'story' Layton has in each game. The whimsical, quaint little English setting is really unique when you compare to most video games. It has a strong sense of self and identity. I think that's a large part of why it's so popular and caught on so well all over the world, not just in Japan. Hopefully the intense popularity he had on the DS means he'll get into Smash 4.
Yeah, the art style in particularly was also more inspired by the way European storybooks/cartoons were drawn rather than the typical Japanese Anime/manga art style which falls in line in having it's own sense of identity like you stated.

I hope so too, but even if he doesn't make it in, I hope the support he gets would be large enough for him to be at least considered for the installments after Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS. Hence why I'm trying to raise his support further, even if things aren't looking too bright for him at this point of time. I would still like to know how much he is being supported in Japan though.:/

Ah well, we are kinda getting off topic now, so if you want we can discuss this further in the Professor Layton support thread.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

That's interesting! But like Kwiki said, I'm moving this convo to the Layton thread.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I've been warming up to Roy as of late since playing FE6 + getting involved on his story and character + Project M's rendition on him. He could be said to be Marth if he was given more attack power and ways to KO. In short, puts more emphasis on power compared technique.

My only pet peeve is that he's still a clone - if to be decloned for real, I'd definitely main him out.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

So in other words, it is like the British version of EarthBound (American version). :p

D

Deleted member

I wish I knew what Japan thought of Rosalina's reveal. I know that America and Europe were rather mixed about it, but I want to hear their opinions on it.

I also wish I knew what Japan thinks about Bomberman… probably not much, but I would love to know.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So in other words, it is like the British version of EarthBound (American version). :p
Well, some story elements of the games do seem to have some content inspired by the Earthbound/Mother games. The sprites of London Life were particularly made by the same people who made the sprites for Mother 3, so I guess you aren't too off of the mark there.

Smady

Smash Master
That's actually a perfect comparison, and I love those sprites. Layton has a tonne of charm, not unlike Phoenix Wright in fact. I certainly can't think of a series with that art style and setting.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622

Think about it this way:

Thoughts, anyone?
If we really get Mr. Mconlypopularbecauseofmelee Firemarth over Takamaru, I'll flip my ****.

andimidna

Smash Master
If we really get Mr. Mconlypopularbecauseofmelee Firemarth over Takamaru, I'll flip my ****.
Seriously.
If Roy wasn't in Melee, he'd only be as requested as Leif and Seliph.
Which is close to none.

I'd understand the requests for Roy (by people who haven't played his game) if he was an amazingly unique fighter that actually contributed something good to the game.
But he was a clone of Marth!
So why do people who didn't play his game want him?!

I support Takamaru as well.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Why is Roy wanted back so badly? It's simple, he's a pretty boy. Japan loves their pretty boys. Yes his Melee debut is also a huge reason, but the pretty boy factor helps push him above other Melee cuts such as Dr. Mario or Pichu.

Don't believe me? Go to any Smash or Fire Emblem related fanfiction/fanart site, he's there (just be sure to keep the filters on ;)).

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
Well, Dr. Mario/Pichu are also characters where they feel more legitimately like a clone. Roy is his own character, he just got a moveset copied from Marth. He's also probably the easiest of the three to give a unique moveset for and have it feel like a legitimate moveset of his still. I don't really want him back, but I'm not opposed to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom