• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nova Scotia Thread

airball

Smash Apprentice
Trying to find out why kids love Cinnamon Toast Cr
$5-$10 sounds good, too. I doubt if this thing will be so formal as to need rules, but maybe we should make a list anyway.

Standing by for details.

EDIT: I'll make a ruleset, send it up here, and we can work around it. I'll use mlg as a template, but try to accomodate all suggestions so far.

airball

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for the double post, but I felt it was warranted by the following:

1. In the case of a GameCube/TV malfunction, the game will be restarted from the beginning, no matter what time it crashed.

2. Spectators may not communicate with a player while he or she is competing. Breaking this rule will result in a warning. A second violation will result in ejection of the spectator.

3. Any other sign of cheating will also result in forfeit of the game.

4. The events will start with either:

A short swiss tournament (3 games, 2 stock match; this is the “regular season” idea) to determine seeding for the tournament bracket. Any ties for advancing positions will be broken by a single tiebreaker game.

OR

A randomly generated pool tournament, top 1 or 2 in each pool advance.

OR

A randomly generated bracket, best 2 out of 3 until finals (3 of 5)

8. For each game of a pool play match, the stage will either:

Be selected at random from the list of Random Select (MLG legal) stages. Each player can eliminate 1 stage from the list of possibilities.

OR

Be agreed to by the players.

9. The bracket will be a best of 3 games series (excepting the finals and third place matches, best of 5), double elimination bracket.

10. Lives will be set at 4 stock with an 8 minute time limit in the actual tournament bracket.

11. Ties will be broken by stock left and then by percentage of health. Sudden death will be played if both the stock and percentage are tied at the end of the time limit.

11. Items will be turned off.

Stage & Character Selection

12. The higher seed has first choice for their seat or controller port.

13. The first round stage is selected by random.
Random select stages limited to: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of
Dreams, Rainbow Cruise, Dreamland 64 & Pokemon Stadium

14. Stages not listed on the random select list that are not banned are open for counter picks by the losing player.

15. Stages banned for Singles Only: Great Bay

Stages banned for Doubles Only: Fountain of Dreams.

CONTROVERSIAL FOR NS TOURNEY, SUBJECT TO CHANGE: Stages banned for Singles & Doubles: Hyrule Temple, Fourside, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom 1, Venom and Yoshi's Island 64

16. No stage may be used twice in a single match (excepting the finals, where one may be used twice). The random select stages are the only stages that may be used more than once in a best of 11 series.

17. After characters have been selected for the first game, each player/team may choose one stage from the available tournament list that won’t be used during the match. Once the first game has started, stages can’t be knocked out.

18. After each game of a match, the player who lost the previous game may choose the stage for the next game or elect for it to be chosen randomly. After the stage has been selected, the winner of the previous game may change characters. After the winner has chosen their character, the loser of the previous game may change characters.

19. For the first game of a match, a player may call for a double-blind pick. This means that all participating players must tell a judge the character they will use for that game. Each player is required to use that character in the game.

20. During the finals, players may ask for a double-blind pick during games four and five of a match. Players must call for the pick after the loser of the previous game has chosen the next game’s stage.

Other Rules & Special Issues

21. Any unnecessary pausing of the game will result in a forfeit of that single game.

22. Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the game or makes it unable to be finished are banned and will result in the immediate forfeit of the entire match.

23. Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned. If by using one of these tactics, you have put your character in a place to lose a stock by ending the tactic, a judge may force you to stop and lose a life and continue the match short a stock.

24. Players may designate a coach before the start of the match. This coach may not instruct the player during actual game play, but can be consulted for a maximum of 1 minute between games. Once the stage for the next game has been selected, players may not meet with their coaches.

25. For Doubles matches, Team Attack is ON, and life stealing is allowed

These look good to me, but have a look at them and tell me what needs changing. In particular, look at the banned stages: The stages right now conform to MLG rules, but are open to change. Just lets agree on it. I just took the mlg rules and made some mods.

Catdog

Smash Rookie
Alright so I finally got some info. My friend is name chris and he said he can hold the tourny at his house, we just cant leave a mess. He says if we are charging and entry his house gets a cut of the pot so hes asking for the amount required to enter. Basically if we play for a pot he gets to enter the tourny for free. So thats about it so if were having it at his place this is his information

He stays at 5959 Spring garden rd. Apt. 911
buzzer code 421

Tourny starts at 3PM on Saturday the 16 of September

So if this is kool and this is where u want to have it let me know.

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
I see nobody posted how many people they know are going....
The rules i posted say the same thing but better (I think)
but its always good to read the offical rules. like in Yu-Gi-Oh ^.^

Catdog

Smash Rookie
Yeah about the location. Kiven requested that it be changed from 3pm to 4pm . I checked with chris and thats kool so the tourny will start at 4pm. As for people attending im not to sure from my group it seems to be just talk so far but we'll see what happens still got 2 days.

So once again it starts at 4pm

Animus45

Smash Rookie
all sounds perfect to me, i'll have at least 2 friends with me. When's the earliest we should show up? Since if we start showing up at 4 it won't get started until like 5 or so...

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
yeah,that was the reason i wanted it to start at 4. cause we'll all be getting there around 3. looks like steven might be coming with me, still not sure yet

airball

Smash Apprentice
I can go. Woot.

Not only that, a few of my friends can too. I'll also supply a gamecube, if needed. But... if this is to happen tomorrow, we really need to get everything finalized. So lets get to it, then. Everything posted so far is fine with me. Entrance fee = $5? One of my friends may enter, but in all honesty he's not that good.

Now... Does anyone have any means to make videos of matches? that would be nice to have. Let's just get everything settled.

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
Today is the last day for updates. Everything seems to be in order. Just
make sure you have some cash with you, to cover the entrance
fee,whatever we decide on. My Cell Phone number is 631-0564. I will be
turning it on Saturday morning around 9am and can be reached any time
after that. So I guess we'll all just be meeting at the address given by
Dom(Catdog). If anybody needs a drive just give me a ring as early as
possible on Saturday and I'll go and pick you up. Any questions, call me.

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
Sweet, are you going to need a drive Andrew? You have my number for any
other reason as well. I don't understand what the confusion is about,
everything IS finalized. We're meeting at Dom's location(Right Dom?),
and everybody knows the rules, it starts at 4, bring some money,and lets
play some smash. I will be bringing a VCR and I'm going to buy some
tapes. If we have 2 tv's going we'l need 2 vcrs to have everything
taped. As for the rules, EVERYBODY READ THEM AND YOU DON'T LIKE
SOMETHING SPEAK UP. We might as well adhere to the offical rules as much
as possible. The main thing that won't be the same is the Levels.
However, if 2 people cant agree on a level. It will be a random level of
the ones that are on the accepted list. Sound fair? I thought so

Animus45

Smash Rookie
Good fun guys. Can't wait to do it again.
Dom-Great matches man
Kev-Nice to finally meet you, *****in falco dittos!
Dom's buddy who owned the house-Thanks for hosting!
Airball-Don't think I got to play you, but you had a nice fox ;)
Steven-Nice luigi man, you had some sick combos on me

A heads up to anyone who's interested; intencity LAN center is holding a SSBM tournament next Saturday at 3:00. It costs 15$ to enter, and you have to register ahead of time:
http://www.intencity.ca/ that's the website, you can find the phone number and location there. Apparently there's going to be ~20 people there, and the 1st place prize is 70-100$.. with prizes also going to 2nd and 3rd. I'll be there for sure, everybody better show up!

Pey

Smash Apprentice
To: cool NS players

Whats up guys? It's Zach just wanted to say good job to everyone (at the tournament) and am happy to see some players coming around in NS.

Let's see more tournaments and get togethers...!

And what about making a list of all the players who posted and putting their location adjacent to their names... like:

Pey - halifax
SSJ2Link - Cape breton
etc.

Least that way we'd have a better idea of how many of us are around, it's jsut a thought.

Animus45

Smash Rookie
Hey Zach, congrats again on winning the tournament; impressive fox man!
Anyway, good idea for the list+locations, I'm Hugh/Animus and from Cole Harbour, it'd be great if Kevin could just edit names & locations into the first post so we could have a nice list compiled. Zach, I added you to msn (denoon_zacAThotmail.com, hope thats right?) so we can talk more on there.

airball

Smash Apprentice
I'd be down for another one, if we can set it up again.

Sorry I couldn't make the intencity one, I was busy with cross-country. If we can get another one set up I'll do it.

Shout outs for the last one will be on later, I just don't have time now.

EDIT:

Kevin: Great Falco, man. I almost got you once or twice lol... Great tech skill, those combos were hard to beat.

Dom: Nice Luigi. It was weird, though, hearing a luigi player ask about wavedashing and proceeding to beat me. Nicely done.

Hugh: No, I don't think we played each other. Maybe in a FFA, but not during the tournament. You were great when I did see youplay, though.

Thanks to the host, and I'm sorry to anyone I may have left out. I had to leave early, of course, so I didn't have much time to meet everyone. Next time I'll make sure I have more time.

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
Actually...there's already a list of people/information on my smash site. The URL is in my signature. haha Obviously nobody goes to the site or they've just forgotten about it. I don't care, because I don't update it anymore anyways....
haha HUGH! Why give Zach props for coming up with the list+location idea. It was my idea! I came up with it months and months ago....I'll be updating the site soon
Oh, and good job Zach. I look forward to besting you in the future :D

airball

Smash Apprentice
cb_marth:

Though I'd like to think of myself as good, I now know there is much better competition than me in Nova Scotia XP. But yeah, it's definitely worthwhile to come out and play. You'll definitely learn some new stuff. I know I did.

Oh, btw. Next tournament, I'll try to get the guys who spectated last time to play this time. Fingers crossed.

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
Hello again cb_marth. We finally had a tourney and saw what talent we had in NS. Its quite good. You and your Shadow Knights should come to the next tourney in Halifax. We will form our own crew and clobber you. How many is in your crew again? 4. That would be hella interesting! Right Hugh? :D

D

DrRoboto

ARG. Well, now that I have pulled my head out of the sand, I'll be at the next intencity match.

cb_marth

Smash Ace
Ha it seems that you know me but I don't remeber any of you? Anyways I wouldn't really call us the Shadow Knights haha but there are a few of us that play Kode, Yuu, Tau, Seth. Now about you guys clobbering us. Well I can't say agenst Seth or Tau, but Me and Yuu.. you guys would have no chance not trying to sound concieted or over confident but I would love to challange you guys sometime, I mean whenever you guys have another tournment we might stop by. I mean if you want to consider how we play and our skill potential. Well watch Ken's newst match Ken (Red Marth) vs Neo (Black Marth) Heh if you can match that skill and intensity of a match then you may have a chance agenst use. Yet I have never saw you guys play so I don't know your skill level only mine and others around here.

Pey

Smash Apprentice
YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WE DONT HAVE A CHANCE..THEIR POWER LEVEL IS OVER BILLIONS!? THEIR LEVEL IS TOO GREAT? NOO WE MUST TRY GOHAN!

Haha seriously we don't have to wait until a tournament comes since those only happen 1 every 5 years.. we should have biweeklies at someone's house (Hugh's suggestin)? Then mabybe you could make an appearance cb_marth.

Anyone want to play the upcoming days? Like tomorrow/maybe the weekend?

Animus45

Smash Rookie
lol^^^^ owned

yeah we really need to get some smash going guys... I've been hella busy with school and whatnot, and this weekend is looking pretty hectic as well. Lets say.. very uncertain, but i MIGHT be able to have a fest at my house suuunday, but I doubt many would be in, since its thanksgiving and all. Anyway, if I get some interest it could go down, let me know...
If not, DEEEFINITELY next weekend something's going down at my place. I'll be in touch.

Pey

Smash Apprentice
That's coooooool animus.. smash with more than 4 ppl is amazing.

Ahhh so anyone feel like playing me today or tomorrow?

D

DrRoboto

I'm free tomorrow (Saturday) during the day Pey, if that time will work for you.

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
cb_marth im the only one you would have talked to. if you go to the first few pages of the thread you might remember. Theres no point in saying that you'l crush us,or that we'l crush you. You'll just have to believe that we're good and take it as it comes. i was just playin when i said you'd be clobbered

as for me going to halifax,i could so do it right now. but id say it wouldnt get organized in time. my only time to go up there is on a saturday, like this one. and i have to be back here in new glasgow by 730. so between now and then theres a few solid hours of smash. i've been practising :D im looking forward to unveiling my new trump card

Rob..dude...i sent you an email. but its good that you finally got your head out of the sand. you'l have to do alot of practising tho. iv gotten much better,and theres a few guys out there can beat me,sometimes. it should be good tho. the more the merrier

Zack - i will have my revenge,punk. be ready

<----Power Level - 1,320,000,000

Pey

Smash Apprentice
Dudes

PEI is not that far away and it's crazy because I was in NG this long weekend. Punk we could've played and I could get some Ness games in or somethin.. shoot.

So Hugh are you doin something at your palce? I can also hold something too if anyones interested cause I will have a free house pretty soon. If I got say like 20 ppl or more I could charge an entry fee and give the winners the $$$$$.

This is all just hypothetical but I could easily get a tournament running if there were enough and I knew enough would be coming. Do you guys think there would be enough ppl?

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
Im in New Glasgow every weekend

Yeah, PEI isnt that far away at all. I almost went during March Break, but then they backed down. We'll all get together soon, im sure.

OK, so...im going to halifax this sunday. Lets get a few people together

Let me know fellas...................

haha nice use of the english language cb_marth :p i certainly didnt mean to say you backed down. just dont assume you'll come in and dominate. it'll be hard, for us too im sure. hopefully we can get teams together and play Crew Battle

cb_marth

Smash Ace
Not bad I have family who live there. No PEI isn't far. You guys should come down sometime. Backdown? I don't think I ever backed down from you guys? Maybe someone els did? I didn't I thought you guys were over here;) huh maybe im wrong?

Catdog

Smash Rookie
Mabye its time i said something. Yeah I wouldnt mind some smash this weekend it would be a welcome change. I can also hold it at my place which right next to the intercity tourny or whatever its called. Looks like ill need to start practicing in order to be a match for some of you now. So i guess its your move now kiven

Top Bottom