• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not a Tier List: Montage's Character ratings: New Info: Meta, Sonic, Snake, Lucario

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Game & Watch has a different Nair now?
Yeah, same range, but now it's a multi-hit attack. It's a fishbowl, with fish popping out.

Does this game seem more balanced overall than Melee so far? Obviously one can't expect it to be perfectly balanced, but I'm hoping for reasonable balance (better than Melee).
Major balance so far. But don't worry, we'll break it soon enough. >_>

It seems that a trick for lucario was discovered that's significant enough for him to gain at least half a point.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=140957
Nah, man. That thing can't be shffl'd. If it get's blocked, expect to get Utilt'd everytime.

webrunner

Smash Apprentice
What would you say the rating would be for Zelda and Sheik as a tandem? As in- using them both, switching often, etc? Using them as one character with two stances instead of separately?

dmbrandon

Smash Master
What would you say the rating would be for Zelda and Sheik as a tandem? As in- using them both, switching often, etc? Using them as one character with two stances instead of separately?
Given that it takes like 1 billion years to transform, I would suggest not switching, as you'll be punished. If you could, I'd rate them as an 8.

sirmackerel

Smash Apprentice
Are you going to post a Toon Link vid tonight, dmbrandon? I'm dying with anticipation.

Puddin Master

Smash Apprentice
Wario weaker than Mario? Mario you gave a six in strength and you only gave Wario a five? Also, I'm pretty sure Wario's recovery is only good when he has a fully charged fart and/or when you can actually get him to jump off his bike UPWARDS. Otherwise, his Up B is terrible. I'd give his recovery a 7 since it's kind of hard to pull off correctly. I don't agree with some of the things said in these lists. Gimpy said Mario was very good when he played as him in E For All. I highly doubt they could downgrade Mario so much after a few months. The only changes they made in Ike is that he's slightly faster and his Up B actually has horizontal distance now. That's not much compared to how bad Mario supposedly is.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Wario weaker than Mario? Mario you gave a six in strength and you only gave Wario a five? Also, I'm pretty sure Wario's recovery is only good when he has a fully charged fart and/or when you can actually get him to jump off his bike UPWARDS. Otherwise, his Up B is terrible. I'd give his recovery a 7 since it's kind of hard to pull off correctly. I don't agree with some of the things said in these lists. Gimpy said Mario was very good when he played as him in E For All. I highly doubt they could downgrade Mario so much after a few months. The only changes they made in Ike is that he's slightly faster and his Up B actually has horizontal distance now. That's not much compared to how bad Mario supposedly is.
We're not saying Mario is bad. He's better than he was in Melee, but this is a different game and he's simply not as good as a lot of the characters in Brawl so far in our opinion. This is early impressions, which can be changed with time of course.

K1T3

Smash Lord
Nah, man. That thing can't be shffl'd. If it get's blocked, expect to get Utilt'd everytime.
Can you tilt from shield now?
I here you can do any smash from shield now is this true or is the usmash the only ground move you can do from shield?

ICs can still desynch so you can bait with nana or other stuff. Also they can still grab combo like grab downthrow fsmash(during the downthrow), not sure if you knew or not but thought I'd point that out since you said they were viable for worst.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g87mvjVxr5o

I liked diddy and toon link when I played. Diddy more cause of bananas. Snake was pretty fun as well I'm gonna try him some more.
Peach was still good, it was easy to still move around and do everything from melee since she could still float and low lag on airs. Plus her standing A got a nice buff. Her and marth were the easiest for me to get used to and be able to move around and do what I wanted.

CJayC

Smash Rookie
Stating Marth's Side B is awful for recovery makes no sense really since it was changed to no longer serve that function. Which raises the point as to why are people still doing it? >_>

webrunner

Smash Apprentice
Have you tried playing some games with the Smash Balls on, just to see how the Final Smashes affect the character's effectiveness?

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
addition to the big long list i posted before but i guess never read or taken into account to ur proposel

f smash, f tilt, fair,uair, bair, and dair
if any of this are blocked by a shield u will be push back so far u cant shield grab or counter appropriatly

iLight

Smash Lord
i disagree with your rating of metaknight, his UB is not that difficult to combo into from his airs or even some of his throws, not to mention when he's gliding back from it his ability to attack out of it make him hard to keep away, its just a dangerous move altogether, no one would want to jump off and face the risk of getting hit by it and getting KO'd if they were playing someone good

check my videos
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=142417

fazares

Smash Apprentice
btw u said that mario is good at recovering...and u named fludd...can u reallly use the fluddo for recovery...????

Puddin Master

Smash Apprentice
Yep!!!!

Riiight. The guy who played the game for an hour, on a demo, 4 months ago. Good call, listen to him.
Well, excuuuuuuse me, princess. Oh, and he said Mario was downgraded, so I ssumed that this guy meant that Mario was worse. I lsten to you, but I think you mixed up some things and that's why I have a troubled time inifinitely trusting you. Like the Wario strength thing. How would Wario's strength be lower than Mario's if he's a power character?

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Can you tilt from shield now?
I here you can do any smash from shield now is this true or is the usmash the only ground move you can do from shield?

ICs can still desynch so you can bait with nana or other stuff. Also they can still grab combo like grab downthrow fsmash(during the downthrow), not sure if you knew or not but thought I'd point that out since you said they were viable for worst.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g87mvjVxr5o

I liked diddy and toon link when I played. Diddy more cause of bananas. Snake was pretty fun as well I'm gonna try him some more.
Peach was still good, it was easy to still move around and do everything from melee since she could still float and low lag on airs. Plus her standing A got a nice buff. Her and marth were the easiest for me to get used to and be able to move around and do what I wanted.

Actually, left and right roll you, and up and down GRAB! weird.

Stating Marth's Side B is awful for recovery makes no sense really since it was changed to no longer serve that function. Which raises the point as to why are people still doing it? >_>
It can be used once. The attack itself isn't as good either. Since I added a recovery rating, it was important information to add. Since the neutral B is the new recovery mothed, and it's not always viable, his score must god down, since he can't recover as well.

btw, I would say gb2gamefaqs, but I've been going there since like, 97-98. I really love the site when I'm not looking at the message boards. I still think you're awesome. You should come to nj, and play brawl!

Have you tried playing some games with the Smash Balls on, just to see how the Final Smashes affect the character's effectiveness?
OF COURSE! :D

We wanted them on at first. I love other fighters, and think supers balance games, but in this case, the games wind up too slow, and focused on them. It really takes away form smash, as a whole.

btw u said that mario is good at recovering...and u named fludd...can u reallly use the fluddo for recovery...????
Yessir, if you're facing the other way, you're high up, and it's charged. lol

dmbrandon

Smash Master
ahaha....check this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wzwFYjPWrY
he looks more reliable than u on the subject...:-)lol....
Maybe you should match some of Space's (Turbo Ether) Snake vids before judging gimpys mario. That snake was just plain awful. (No offense to RW, <3)

Well, excuuuuuuse me, princess. Oh, and he said Mario was downgraded, so I ssumed that this guy meant that Mario was worse. I lsten to you, but I think you mixed up some things and that's why I have a troubled time inifinitely trusting you. Like the Wario strength thing. How would Wario's strength be lower than Mario's if he's a power character?
Wario is not a power character.

dmbrandon

Smash Master

Then what the crap is he?
Weird. Think of him as the warioware Wario, not the badguy. He does have sick, but not a lot of kick.

Wolf is strong... good cause I was going to play him even if he sucked... I'm just a big Wolf fan.
Wolf is straight awesome. Fast, good knockback, easy to punish people if they mess up. Dude is nasty.

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
I still don't see how Luigi can be gimped so easily. He has a very versatile recovery.

Kiden4911

Smash Rookie
Hmmm... a full point reduction for Marth...looks more like a .5 reduction to me. DI is so great in this game it doesn't seem like Marth would suffer from the lack of side-b being a recovery move. Marth's range is still one of the longest in the game. As for linking attacks together, I don't think any character is consistently linking attacks (i may be wrong) and I'm sure Marth will eventually have a combo.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Hmmm... a full point reduction for Marth...looks more like a .5 reduction to me. DI is so great in this game it doesn't seem like Marth would suffer from the lack of side-b being a recovery move. Marth's range is still one of the longest in the game. As for linking attacks together, I don't think any character is consistently linking attacks (i may be wrong) and I'm sure Marth will eventually have a combo.
More vids will be up tonight from the Rutgers crew and montage. You'll see linking

Lunar6

Smash Journeyman
He's only good in the right hands. When it comes down to it, people that will be ranked higher will beat him regularly.
Those with the "right hands" so far have been winning matches up the ying as Link against characters who you score as 7s or 9s. I'm not saying that it automatically brings him up above those characters on the tier list ultimately, I'm saying that he's faring better against these virtually unchanged high-tiers than he did in Melee practically in spite of his at least one nerf. I've seen new combos already, which look as if they would curbstomp lightweights as a whole, similar to how Link's knockback as a whole has been upgraded, which is WHERE I'm seeing the new, shorter combos rising from. Where you say his Melee combos are gone, there are other saying they've used them, which gives a contradiction. Where you say he's a nerfed character, three times the people are saying he's improved overall. What nerfs I've read that you mentioned I've seen being worked around.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Those with the "right hands" so far have been winning matches up the ying as Link against characters who you score as 7s or 9s. I'm not saying that it automatically brings him up above those characters on the tier list ultimately, I'm saying that he's faring better against these virtually unchanged high-tiers than he did in Melee practically in spite of his at least one nerf. I've seen new combos already, which look as if they would curbstomp lightweights as a whole, similar to how Link's knockback as a whole has been upgraded, which is WHERE I'm seeing the new, shorter combos rising from. Where you say his Melee combos are gone, there are other saying they've used them, which gives a contradiction. Where you say he's a nerfed character, three times the people are saying he's improved overall. What nerfs I've read that you mentioned I've seen being worked around.
When vids are posted, you'll see. You don't have to trust these reviews at all, in fact, I'd hope you could decide for yourself. Link doesn't have the combos he did in melee.

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
NO! LINK! 5? THIS IS MADNESS! Oh well, I might try Toon Link

But I am glad with Diddy Kong, Wolf, and Toon Link

SeventhSage

Smash Apprentice
If those are indeed the right running speed rankings, then what is the new running speed ranking for Brawl ? Sonic must be first and some characters seem faster now (Zelda for example).

Can someone give the running speed rankings list for Brawl?

(MELEE)
1. Capt. Falcon
2. Fox
(...)
25. Jigglypuff
26. Zelda

Puddin Master

Smash Apprentice
Weird. Think of him as the warioware Wario, not the badguy. He does have sick, but not a lot of kick.

Wolf is straight awesome. Fast, good knockback, easy to punish people if they mess up. Dude is nasty.
That made no sense to me. O_o

Is he like Yoshi then in terms of power, speed, and such?

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Hey. Did you know that if Lucas is hit from behind with a projectile while he's using PSI Magnet, he apparently turns around and absorbs it anyway? Also, PSI Magnet itself can be used as an attack with surprising knockback. This means that characters like Zelda and Wolf don't have a projectile advantage over him, since PSI magnet is much faster than Ness's was in Melee, and can be used to cover his front, making it hard to dash up to him and attack.

Can you check this?

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
I think you missed my post, but I've just noticed that after more testing you took Marth and Pit down a little.

Can you comment on Diddy, Dedede and Wolf again? Like nothing changed or if there rated worse. Like is Dedede combo'd really easy because of his size so take another point off? Or example.

These 3 characters are going to be used be me alot, so I'm just curious.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
Ya, DDDs main problem that keeps him from being in the same league as the wolf, TL, ect... is that he a great big combo target.
which is partially offseted by him being the hardest charcter to kill in the game (at least im pretty sure)

hes going to post some DDD vids in our thread soon and let us take it from there.

Flaminglink

Smash Journeyman
Dont forget ppl THIS is NOT a tier list and they dont really know alot about the game still with only around almost 2 weeks of playing. There is still alot to be discovered about the game.

MDZ

Smash Journeyman
Armstrong B.C Canada. It's in the Okanagan, so if
Something I don't really get is why MK is only rated a 6.5, especially after seeing the video posted in this thread; http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=142510. I can't say much about weight, but to me it seems as though his Knockback should be a bit higher.

Mind going into a bit of detail as to what moves have how strong/weak of a knockback?

Oh, and more Yoshi study ploxx. He can't be that bad D: He just takes time, like in Melee. Watch some Fumi vids for inspiration :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom