• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Norcal/Bay Area/DBR:NorCal Nevers: Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
The reason MvC2 is so popular after all these years is because its super enjoyable to watch. MvC2 has had like the top attendence in Evo for god knows how many years.

And I'd say theres like uhh 8 characters or so to pick from: Storm, Magneto, Cable, Sentinel, CapCom, Dr. Doom, Strider (only w/ Doom), Blackheart. and I'm missing a few of the more ghey characters (aka Spiral)

If you're talking about point characters (ones who don't need CapCom or Doom to ****), then theres Storm, Sent, Mag, Cable, Doom, and maybe Blackheart.

MvC2 is very much like Melee in it's appeal. It might not have super high character variation when it comes to tournaments, but it's really enjoyable to watch and surprisingly technical.

Oh hi I'm here to tell you this isn't true. Though it is close.

I don't remember the attendance from all the Evos but I know for a fact that Marvel was a good deal behind both Third Strike and Melee at last year's Evo. And by "good deal" I mean like about 100 people less. I'm also pretty sure that it didn't have the higest attendance two years ago as well, though I could be wrong there.

Most of the characters you mention can be played but have been proven in recent years as non-winners. Heck in the last few years even Cable has been pretty much phased out, leaving Magneto, Storm, Sentinel, and assist characters. Blackheart has been buried for years, only one person can use Spiral, and only one person can use Strider/Doom (and this person never wins).

Plus, no love for Iron Man?

Really at this point you must use two of the following if you want to win: Storm, Sentinel, Magneto. Plus an assist character of choice.

Anyway, I think Marvel matches are fun to watch because of the crowd. Otherwise, most people don't really know what's going on other than "a bunch of **** happened." Though I do agree that Melee does have similarities to Marvel in terms of why people like it. I'd argue that Brawl has a similar appeal to Third Strike, and I know that at least Lucien agrees. I should get back into 3rd Strike.

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
wtf you werent even around for sam vs ken.. the hell are you talking about the good ol days.
I know I wasn't, it was a joke jeez =P At least I've seen the matches unlike most people that came around the time I entered the smash scene.

MvC2 is very much like Melee in it's appeal. It might not have super high character variation when it comes to tournaments, but it's really enjoyable to watch and surprisingly technical.
Yeah, you hit the nail right on the head. Melee is more appealing visually, but the thing is we haven't had brawl long enough. Its been 3 or so months since the release, and about 2 months for most people, so the game hasn't had much time to develop. Its actually crazy to think how much this game has advanced since the initial japanese release. Give the game a few more years, and then come back and watch the videos from 2008, the game will be totally different.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Thanks to Eric for preventing me from triple-posting.

I also wanted to add that I think people talking about Marvel and Melee having similar appeal doesn't understand what MvC2 was when it first came out. Unless they're then comparing it to how Melee was when it first came out in which case it's genius.

But yeah. Early MvC2 = huge boring to watch campfest. And MvC1 = mega rushdown game. You guys don't even know.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Yeah I should be able to make DVC on Wednesday.

I've never spammed a thread like this before. It's kind of fun!

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
man reading brawl vs. melee arguments is boring.

the same 3 points are recycled every time for both sides.

cant we agree that both games are playable, but everyone has their personal preference? i personally find brawl teams complete garbage, brawl singles alright, and melee both events amazing. doesnt mean i dont think brawl isnt competitive. i just think that brawl competition isnt going to get more fun than it already is, being that it seems like most of the new discovery stuff makes the game less fun (infinates anyone?)

but i still refuse to give up on brawl. i know im missing something that will make it more fun. and i dont suck at the game or anything, ask the people i friendlied against im passable.

Naota21t

Smash Champion
Thanks to Eric for preventing me from triple-posting.

I also wanted to add that I think people talking about Marvel and Melee having similar appeal doesn't understand what MvC2 was when it first came out. Unless they're then comparing it to how Melee was when it first came out in which case it's genius.

But yeah. Early MvC2 = huge boring to watch campfest. And MvC1 = mega rushdown game. You guys don't even know.
lol thats b/c back in the early days all everyone did was pick an all cable team and just press fierce punch 4x. xD jk

Now MvC2 is pretty **** rush oriented. MSP teams ****, ridiculously (i ****ing hate MSP, ask falcomist). It's pretty much either **** by rushdown, or keep away (cable, doom, spiral, blackheart). Have you ever played a team of Runaway storm, cable and doom? I swear it's the gheyest thing ever, unless you got a blackheart aaa or maybe a capcom aaa.

But yea, the comparison between MvC2 and Melee doesn't just extend to just viewers. Melee was pretty campy at first (like most games when they start). I mean... remember when Link and Roy were considered top tier? Chyea... right.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Hey people going to UCLA.

I forgot who is riding with me besides Scamp. If you wanted a ride for me tell me again so I can tell you how the trip is going to work.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
no combos in brawl? who wants to mm my ice climbers and sheik

don't get hit or 70%

jk im actually exaggerating, it's hard to pull them off, plus u can DI or tech

but im still okay at the game, and i want MM's!

WassupJB

Smash Lord
Hey people going to UCLA.

I forgot who is riding with me besides Scamp. If you wanted a ride for me tell me again so I can tell you how the trip is going to work.
sheridan, i believe ~kosk and hostility are riding with you. since they're going with scamp.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
damit Scamp where were u in Vallejo this weekend 5/10?!? i had a funny feeling inside when word on the street said u were gonna show.
I was going to show but another event (non-smash related) came up and I had to decide which one I wanted to attend more. But I hope to make the next one.

I've kind of talked to Derek but I've never spoken to Myron about going to UCLA. It's really up to Sheridan as to who goes because we're taking his car. Last time I checked there wasn't any room past Derek, but maybe things have changed.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
sheridan, i believe ~kosk and hostility are riding with you. since they're going with scamp.
OK yeah I knew about Hostility but I didn't know Myron was coming with Scamp too, that's fine.

if someone gives up their seat I'll go with you sheridan
Sure thing. Only catch is you have to get to/from Santa Cruz; Scamp is coming down here so if anything you'd probably get a ride from him.

So my car is: Me, ProdigyKid, Scamp, Hostility, KosK, and cubaisdeath on deck.

So here's the deal guys, we're leaving Friday afternoon whenever you guys get down here, but hopefully not later than 5. I'm working on the housing thing right now. Saturday we can just go do whatever, I'd like to see the Minibosses in LA and go to Arcade Infinity. On Sunday we're gonna leave relatively early. Definitely not leaving the venue any later than 9pm unless we are still in the bracket. Earlier if we want to eat also. But venue -> SC is a bit under 6 hours, and you guys still have to get back from SC, and I'm sure you guys have stuff to do on Monday.

Also, as for gas, I'm paying for the gas. You guys are all paying for my food, so you'll work that out among yourselves whenever we get food. Gas is mad $ now (it's going to be about $110 for the trip) so I'm hella going to indulge in foodstuffs, but I'm pretty sure it's still gonna work out to be a bargain for you guys in the end.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Haha.

I never "supported items and SMI" I supported TESTING them in a tourney environment.

We should have a contest to see who can propose the dumbest rules and get people convinced it's a good way to play smash.

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
We should have a contest to see who can propose the dumbest rules and get people convinced it's a good way to play smash.
First game of a match to be played on Smashville. Players can decide to play on any map, if both players agree.
Excessive stalling or abusing terrain to not engage the enemy is prohibited, and can be enforced by a tournament director only. This will result in a loss of the match.
Losing player can pick a new stage or new character, not both.
Winner keeps character (users of Samus/Zamus, Zelda/Shiek, and Pokemon Trainer are currently ALLOWED to change which character/mode they start in even after a win) but must select character/mode before other player has to choose stage/character.
3 Stock, 5 Min timer, 2/3 Games
Items on medium spawn.
Sudden Death will not decide the outcome of the game.
Allowed Items: Banana Peel, Unira, Spring, Mr. Saturn, Green Shell, Smoke Ball, Freezie, Super Scope, Sandbag, Food, Screw Attack, Warp Star, Metal Box, Bunny Hood, Beam Sword, Baseball Bat, Lip's Stick, Star Rod, Hothead, Smash Ball, Ray Gun, Pitfall, Cracker Launcher, Motion-Sensor Bomb, Hammer, Golden Hammer, Bumper, Franklin Badge.
Banned Stages: New Pork City, Hyrule Temple, Warioware, Spear Pillar, Flat Zone 2, Original Mario Brothers, Mushroomy Kingdom.

Done.

EDIT: It's actually not as bad as it was. It looks like they changed it to best two out of three. They still time limit, but no sudden deaths; winner is the player with least damage (if it comes down to last stock). They also decided on Smashville as starting stage, although I don't know why they don't just do random with five or six neutrals or use the Sheridan banning method. Final Smashes are still in though >_>

pockyD

Smash Legend
lol

i don't think those rules are that bad, minus the excessive items and 75m looool

at least they bumped the stock/time count

and haha just noticed, "Sudden Death will not decide the outcome of the game." ... i think this is more ambiguous than "STALLING: NO STALLING"

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
So my car is: Me, ProdigyKid, Scamp, Hostility, KosK, and cubaisdeath on deck.

So here's the deal guys, we're leaving Friday afternoon whenever you guys get down here, but hopefully not later than 5. I'm working on the housing thing right now. Saturday we can just go do whatever, I'd like to see the Minibosses in LA and go to Arcade Infinity. On Sunday we're gonna leave relatively early. Definitely not leaving the venue any later than 9pm unless we are still in the bracket. Earlier if we want to eat also. But venue -> SC is a bit under 6 hours, and you guys still have to get back from SC, and I'm sure you guys have stuff to do on Monday.

Also, as for gas, I'm paying for the gas. You guys are all paying for my food, so you'll work that out among yourselves whenever we get food. Gas is mad $ now (it's going to be about $110 for the trip) so I'm hella going to indulge in foodstuffs, but I'm pretty sure it's still gonna work out to be a bargain for you guys in the end.
Last I heard Myron (KOSK) isn't sure if he can make it, but if he can don't give up his seat to me just yet. I have no problem meeting up with scamp or even driving down to SC to your house. if you have AIM just conctact me at Cuba is Death or pm me for a phone number. AIM is usually the most convenient for me, and I'm practically always online so if I'm not there I will at least get the message.

Hostility

Smash Ace
Sounds great Sheridan, thanks for the deal. It will probably come down to all of us splitting on your food so no need to worry about that. ill talk to scamp next time I can, but I get out of school at 2 PM friday so I would be able to meet scamp and get a ride over there.

Thanks again for the ride, I can't wait.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Hahaha. That's like one of those pictures that you see on the news about someone, and underneath it's like "last known photograph."

P.S. Isai's photobucket contains 2 excellent pics of Deep Norcal members. Especially the Salinas Champion.

WassupJB

Smash Lord
POST PETER! =)

when are we going to leave? hopefully it's leave saturday around noon get a good nights rest, own on sunday then come home? lol

Top Bottom