• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZcK

Smash Cadet
NNID
Calamardo
Dang it
To think that his cheerfulness that always gave me the needed optimism to never give up hope in Nintendo no matter how grim it looked, will never be again its painful.

I would probably would have never gotten with Nintendo if not for him, to think that a man I never knew would influence my life that way, without me not even noticing, and that I never will able to say thank you its unbearable.

And even then for what he believed in, and what he made me believe in, I´ll have fun before anything else, and to an extent never give up hope on the company he lived for.

See you in the Underwhere.

Last edited:

joetherocker

Smash Apprentice
Might as well post this here, since it doesn't really fit into my near-defunct writing blog and I don't really share things with people I know IRL. A weird stream of consciousness/flash fiction/reaction/whatever written on the fly in one go about Mr. Iwata's passing. I could've done something entirely fictional or something entirely real, but neither one felt quite right. It's been a while since I've written something real, so quality is suspect at best.

It was raining when I found out that he’d died. I was just flipping through the internet, waiting for a friend to call about the house we’d been thinking about renting, when I saw a video linked by an old acquaintance. A joke, I thought, as we all do when we don’t want to acknowledge the truth. I looked around some more. It wasn’t a joke. Thunder rumbled outside, as if nature itself knew what the world had lost.

I sat down, processing it all. I’d dealt with deaths before, but they’d all been anticipated. Old people, an alcoholic relative, people with cut and dry terminal illnesses. I hadn’t known exactly when it would happen, of course, but I had known that it was coming at any time. This was different, somehow. An unexpected death hits differently than an expected one. It’s a punch to the gut, not something you can brace yourself for and pretend to walk away from unscathed. A car accident, not a sinking ship.

I didn’t know him, although I felt like I did. A lot of people felt that way, I think. I’d known he was sick, of course, but not in that way. I suppose that’s how he would have wanted it, though. Best not to worry anyone when they could be having fun instead, blissfully ignorant to the truth of the matter as he faced it head on. Somewhere inside my mind I tried to conjure up the image of his eyes closing one last time, but my mind simply couldn’t process it, so I stopped and looked at the rain instead.

More reactions came, more pictures and videos and stories. I texted a friend, let him know what had happened, and he texted back some laughter. He learned it wasn’t a joke just as quickly as I had, and we fell into silence. The kind that exists when you know the other person is reading your message and trying to puzzle out how to respond. We talked a bit after that, posted something to our respective social media sites, and sent some videos to one another, some funny and some not. He went to bed early. I didn’t.

The world had grown a little darker. A star had gone out in the night sky and once it was gone, nothing could replace it. Yet here we all were, those of us who had been affected by him in ways big and small, still going. Still living. He would want us to make the best of it, I’m sure. To keep on moving and never look back. I would keep moving, I decided. It was the only thing I could do, really.

But I knew I would always be looking back.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Gosh this really came to me by surprise.

I really can't believe that he's actually gone now. I'm not exactly sure what to do or say about this as it's too much for me to take in, especially by how sudden the news came to me.

And to think he looked so healthy and cheerful in the latest Direct.....

My condolences goes out to his friends and family though.

Thank you for everything Mr. Iwata.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
This really came as a surprise. One of the most tremendous men in gaming history. RIP :(.

Biogoji

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1306-4994-7436
Goodbye Mr Iwata you've done alot for the gaming community, I heard about this two hours ago and I'm still in shock. RIP

redroses

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Marmalade
This was some horrible news to wake up to and I am truly sad over his passing.
I never felt anything before when a celebrity passed, but with Iwata's passing, there is just so much connected to it. The things he have done, they way he acted, it all just felt so much more personal, which is why it feels so sad.

Thank you for everything Mr. Iwata, know that many moments where I have laughed the most in my life were thanks to Nintendo games and all the fun I had (and will have) with them!

Rest In Peace.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Worst thing is, the last words he heard from the fanbase is that E3 was disappointing. Poor guy, couldn't leave in peace.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Some people are being REALLY toxic on Jim Sterling's video. 'Who cares' 'Nintendo fans are ISIS' 'Good, he deserved to die after YT copyright bull****' WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE?!

I feel like we need to start a new topic, pokemon you want to see get Mega evolutions?

Biogoji

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1306-4994-7436
Some people are being REALLY toxic on Jim Sterling's video. 'Who cares' 'Nintendo fans are ISIS' 'Good, he deserved to die after YT copyright bull****' WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE?!

I feel like we need to start a new topic, pokemon you want to see get Mega evolutions?
At first I thought you might be joking because I thought that some people couldn't say something bad but then I actually looked at the video's comments and after that I don't really feel that good.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Itoi wrote a farewell essay on his blog
Rough translation because of tears. I think Im done for today.
Whenever we part ways, I think it's best to say, "See you soon". Because we are friends, we will meet again. That's not strange [at all]. Yes. We will meet again.

You've sure gone on a far trip, huh. Much earlier than [we] had planned. Wearing clothes that suit you the best, being unable to say "I'm sorry for [leaving you] early" [but finally] saying it.

You always put off things for youself, giving help to anyone who needed it. Since you were that kind of friend, leaving us might be the first selfish thing you have done.

[NOTE: Not 100% sure on grammar for the 4th paragraph but it's basically about Iwata/ Itoi making plans to meet up and having meals together].

Anyhow..."see you soon" will be something that I will always say, no matter where. Whenever I want to ask for your advice or tell you about a good idea I had.

See you soon. Wait, even now I can see you.
Okay, this nearly made me cry. That was beautiful.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Okay, this nearly made me cry. That was beautiful.
I don't think I really did it justice. Itoi's writing style really makes it even more beautiful. Like...he never put "friend" in the complex characters, and his spacing really makes certain words/phrases more stressed. It's what really broke me.

I haven't been able to really work on anything all day, just moped around. I know I should get back to writing/ researching/ translating but I couldn't find the motivation today.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I haven't been able to really work on anything all day, just moped around. I know I should get back to writing/ researching/ translating but I couldn't find the motivation today.
Yeah same here. I was planning to work further and release my latest update on my 3D modelling project but right now I'm not really feeling it. I am trying to make a drawing in respect for Iwata though.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

I hate Treyarch, but kudos, major respect. Also, there are rumors spreading around about Anita **** licker praising Iwata's death. These are false

Trey arch is the only studio that can make Call of Dury fun and to see them tweet this earns my respect for them more. Also this Anita tweets are fake

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

Katsuhiro Harada and Yoshinori Ono, producers of Tekken and Street Fighter respectively.

Also, Satoru Shibata, president of Nintendo of Europe, has released this statement:

This thread on NeoGaf has complied many reactions to Iwata's passing: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1078826

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Last two weeks, I've been dragging my feet to work. Today I got up and got to work pretty early today to get some extra work done. Iwata was such a hard worker when he didn't have to be, so I'll take from his example.

Falcon1991

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Falcon1991
I felt like a douche for being annoyed at Nintendo for this year's E3, as I have now today looked to see of Mr Iwata's full game work and it has shown me just how involved he was in my childhood.

All the Pokemon games, Smash Bros, Mario Karts and lots more. That broke my heart. :( I am so sorry Mr Iwata.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

This will go down in history as the greatest brawl that has ever occurred.

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
I seriously still can't believe it. I saw it first on Facebook on Gamenesia and didn't believe it…
To know that a CEO of such a fun, enjoyable gaming world and company such as Nintendo has passed is mindblowing, because Iwata himself was living and breathing, the face of his company, a friend to gamers globally.

Without Iwata, there'd be no Smash, no Earthbound, no Kanto in Gold/Silver, Nintendo wouldn't have revolutionized the gaming industry again and made the enormous strides the company has in the past year with amiibo, mobile games, the Universal partnership, with the upcoming QOL and NX. There's never been a president of a company that I've seen cut his pay in HALF before firing employees. He believed in a fun environment for all his employees, reflecting in their fun-for-everyone games.

Now that I've said all that, I think I've finally accepted Iwata's passing, but we cannot forget him. Hopefully Nintendo's new CEO, whoever it turns out to be, heeds Iwata's attitude towards gaming and continues to transform and revolutionize the company Iwata's truly made us love…and understand.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
If you buy or have bought Premium, that icon at the top changes from 'Thanks for supporting! <3' to 'Thank you Iwata'.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Been very bad at being active here lately, but regarding the news..

I've got little good to say that has not already ben said. :/ But, well, RIP.

I just hate how the last we heard of Iwata was him apologizing for the Digital Event, when he was literally working to his death. Sigh.

Also, NoA released one of the last pictures of Iwata. Breaks my heart to see him so thin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom