• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wewewezing

Smash Cadet
;_; my condolences to all the Takamaru fans

Maybe Smash 5 x_x Little Mac went from assist to playable, So theoretically Takamaru could ;)

PlTe

Smash Journeyman
Wow. I woke up this morning, checked the pic of the day, and was like "OOOOOHHHHHHHHSHIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTT"

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=44984228

Another good thing about this is that he'll eventually have another boost of fanart from a game other than just from Captain Rainbow alone. I'll be looking forward to future pieces like this to reference his honorable role in Smash 4.

As for my obituary, I'll work on it a little later since I do have a few errands to run in the morning. JUst hold on for a second and that heartfelt message will be done soon.

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman
Sooo many good characters reduced to AT, its sort of depressing really. Not to rag on characters that have become playable but its really hard to understand Sakurai sometimes, he can literally pull movesets from thin air for other characters while characters like this who are not fully represented well with just this one move are thrown into the assist section. Oh well, I like his model. I guess we won't be getting a retro this time.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I just realized.

Takamaru is popular as it is.
And he will probably get a new game relatively soon (I'd say 2015 or maybe 2016).

1 - Popular character
2 - Assist in Smash
3 - Reboot game

This is the exact situation Little Mac was in at Brawl times.
If this is true, then that mean,

4 - Newcomer in next Smash game

Takamaru for Smash 5!

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Oh man, why Sakurai? Everything was looking so good for Takamaru and BAM.
I was really getting hyped for his inclusion and today's POTD was obviously a major hype killer.

Hopefully between now and Smash 5, Takamaru gains a lot of support and possibly a reboot a la Punch Out.
Which would put him at a near identical situation with Little Mac from Brawl to Smash 4.
Definitely a good thing.

Don't give up hope guys; Takamaru will fight one day.

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman
Oh man, why Sakurai? Everything was looking so good for Takamaru and BAM.
I was really getting hyped for his inclusion and today's POTD was obviously a major hype killer.

Hopefully between now and Smash 5, Takamaru gains a lot of support and possibly a reboot a la Punch Out.
Which would put him at a near identical situation with Little Mac from Brawl to Smash 4.
Definitely a good thing.

Don't give up hope guys; Takamaru will fight one day.
He is fighting, you just can't control him.

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
Just swinging by to pay my respects. My condolences to all who were avid supporters of him. But on the bright side, he is looking to likely be the Little Mac of next game.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
I just realized.

Takamaru is popular as it is.
And he will probably get a new game relatively soon (I'd say 2015 or maybe 2016).

1 - Popular character
2 - Assist in Smash
3 - Reboot game

This is the exact situation Little Mac was in at Brawl times.
If this is true, then that mean,

4 - Newcomer in next Smash game

Takamaru for Smash 5!
As JonTron once said, "Byoutiful."

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I came to pay my respects Takamaru supporters. I really wanted him playable too. :/

Maybe we can at least get a stage from his game?

Agualitos

Smash Apprentice
To all my fellow Takamaru supporters I pay my respects. This definitely was one of the hardest de-confirmations that I personally have had to deal with. On a Monday and right after more hope and hype came for his status to be a playable character. . . I guess it's true what they say, Sakurai is this biggest troll :/

I guess I will just listen to what could have been Takamaru's theme song and think of all the endless possibilites of what he could have been in smash. . . Hoping for next time :D

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
This is not the end, but merely the beginning of something else.

Pikmin 2 treasure
Captain Rainbow
SSBB Sticker and Music
Warioware DIY (Japan) Minigame
Samurai Warriors 3 Murasame Mode
Nintendo Land Attraction
European Release of Nazo no Murasame jo
NA Release of Nazo no Murasame jo
Assist Trophy in SSB4​

His cameos keep getting more and more frequent. Maybe someday we'll see:

Takamaru in Hyrule Warriors?
A remake of Nazo no Murasame jo?
A revival of the franchise?
Him playable in SSB5?​

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
This is not the end, but merely the beginning of something else.

Pikmin 2 treasure
Captain Rainbow
SSBB Sticker and Music
Warioware DIY (Japan) Minigame
Samurai Warriors 3 Murasame Mode
Nintendo Land Attraction
European Release of Nazo no Murasame jo
NA Release of Nazo no Murasame jo
Assist Trophy in SSB4​

His cameos keep getting more and more frequent. Maybe someday we'll see:

Takamaru in Hyrule Warriors?
A remake of Nazo no Murasame jo?
A revival of the franchise?
Him playable in SSB5?​
Well, Pit got a new game after Brawl, and that was well received. I don't think it's too farfetched to see it happening with Takamaru. Of course, Pit was playable... but hey, you never know. And we've already seen Little Mac promoted from assist to playable. I hope it happens to either Ray or Isaac (or both) as well. Definitely has a precedent.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
I'm glad they kept him in his classic look. Now, let's hope Murasame gets a stage.

And why do the people on Miiverse think Takamaru's a woman? First Marth, now him... :facepalm:

D

Deleted member

Damn. It sucks that he isn't playable, but I expected that to happen...
Still, he looks pretty cool for an Assist Trophy! Who knows? He might get Little Mac treatment next game!

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
And why do the people on Miiverse think Takamaru's a woman? First Marth, now him... :facepalm:
Even though we are in 2014, ponytail still is considered an womanly trait for some people. That is why.

As for Marth, it is because his crown looks like a tiara most likely.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Even though we are in 2014, ponytail still is considered an womanly trait for some people. That is why.

As for Marth, it is because his crown looks like a tiara most likely.
According to the anime, Marth's crown is a Tiara. His sister gave it to him when she sent him off as a kid. I don't think that was the case in the game, but it's been a while since I played Shadow Dragon.

Takamaru doesn't even look slightly feminine in his assist design though.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
According to the anime, Marth's crown is a Tiara. His sister gave it to him when she sent him off as a kid. I don't think that was the case in the game, but it's been a while since I played Shadow Dragon.

Takamaru doesn't even look slightly feminine in his assist design though.
Well, he does have a slightly feminine-looking face... But that isn't enough to call him feminine, I agree.

EchoesOfRain

Smash Apprentice
*sigh* welp, off to the graveyard :(

Definitely a shame that he's reduced to an AT, but at least he's in in some form I guess...

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Wow. I woke up this morning, checked the pic of the day, and was like "OOOOOHHHHHHHHSHIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTT"
I was pretty much the same as this. I knew he had a supportbase, and I'm sorry to hear it ended this way. *Insert repeated Little Mac sentiment here*

If it means anything, I mistook Marth for female when I first saw him. It was absolutely the "tiara" coupled with his hair and lack of a voice that sounded predominantly masculine that makes it seem that way.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I'm sorry, folks. :(

But hey, at least being an AT increases his shot at being playable in future SSBs as opposed to being passed up for playable AND AT status.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
A Muarasame reboot is inevitable at this point.

The same thing happened with Pit and Little Mac.
They were in Brawl (though one was an assist), they gained popularity, and then had a beloved reboot.
Then Little Mac became playable.

Chances are, when Smash 5 speculation starts, we won't be supporting Takamaru as a retro character anymore.

Hong

The Strongest
Takamaru is the first death in ages that meant anything to me. Since I was one of his biggest supporters in the Brawl days, I must say I'm already desensitized to the burn. It's sad that all the new Takamaru fans had to experience what I did.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
lol i dont even like his model, and yes, he looks girlish and very bland to me.

I always cared more about his revival than anything, is just that smash is the best place for that... if nintendo land didnt assured him a place then this means he is not going to have a return in a good time, and that sucks.

No ridley, no starfy, no goroh, no saki, no takamaru... im done with the roster :laugh:
Better this than being a swordsman at least.

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Poor Takamaru. Right when I started liking him, too. :cry:
Well, hopefully in Smash 5, he'll be playable. Until then old samurai, you will be deemed one of my favorite assist.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
As I said earlier, he came really, really close. Going from a sticker to playable character as a Japanese exclusive in a single game would have been a huge jump. Granted, it would have been a great and unprecedented comeback for the character but going from barely any recognition in one game to the most prestigious placement a character can get in the next was kind of long shot, even if we all were really optimistic. All the signs seemed to all be there too so it's understandable why this is such a hard loss. On the upside, it's a really good sign that Takamaru is not using his sword as an AT. This means that Sakurai sees him as more than "a plain old swordsmen" and actually would put into consideration his full stock of weaponry would he make the jump to playable.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Bring me Sakurai's Head!
DAMNIT!
I really wanted Takamaru.
Well, I suppose that he is an insanely irrelevant and obscure character.

this miiverse post made me laugh

This Takamaru model is great, I'm glad that he appeared, even as an assist.

Last edited:

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Just as it seemed Takamaru had more going for him this happens. He was my most wanted Retro character. This is not the end though. With this assist trophy role and his game finally coming to North America he is becoming more well known. Hopefully when Smash 5 comes, we will no longer be referring to him as a retro character, but a rebooted character, like Pit.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
You know, I've never been a huge fan of this remix until now. It makes me feel very bittersweet about Takamaru's status.

It's sad and triumphant at the same time. We didn't get our favorite samurai as a playable fighter, but he got enough recognition to become an assist trophy. With Nazo no Mursamejou coming out in America, a potential reboot on its way, and assist trophy status, Takamaru is looking like Smash 5's Little Mac. Sure, Takamaru isn't in Smash 4. But by the time Smash 5 rolls around, he'll be a top contender!

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
Christ that assist trophy reveal was almost as bad as Chroms reveal. My condolences to you lot.
Sakurai really has a thing for completely breaking the hearts of swordsmen fans everywhere (be very careful Shulk supporters).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom