• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I'll admit, I never found his chances to be particularly strong to begin with. However, he has landed a bigger role than I thought he would get.

Being an assist trophy is arguably the second best thing a character can be after being playable. Little Mac has proven the jump is possible. With Takamaru now having a few elements helping him becoming known worldwide, it sets him up nicely for Smash 5 if he's a hit.

Condolences for those who wanted him to be playable but being an AT is still a pretty big deal. He'll see some of the action at least.

Last edited:

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
Guessing obviously by the 48 users here, I'm sure everyone knows. . .that Takamaru is no longer just a sticker in Brawl but now an AT!
I like this attitude! I feel like this is how we need to approach it, rather than talking about "death" and "funerals" - Takamaru ain't dead, guys - his chances are, but he's alive and kicking... well, not kicking, but throwing some knives around at least! Better than another sticker, right?

I mean, I 100% get being bummed out, but going on and on about how he's "dead" is too much for me when he's practically the next closest thing to playable. Summonable... not too far off, right? With this and his VC releases, he could be getting much more attention outside of Smash sooner than later here :)

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
The shinigami needed him in seretei
Well, it has been fun Turokman, discussing Takamaru and all.

I will be leaving this thread and start participating in others. It will take a couple of days to acknowledge Takamaru is not playable, but eventually my brain will sadly acknowledge it as fact.

P.S. I need to get some rest.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I like this attitude! I feel like this is how we need to approach it, rather than talking about "death" and "funerals" - Takamaru ain't dead, guys - his chances are, but he's alive and kicking... well, not kicking, but throwing some knives around at least! Better than another sticker, right?

I mean, I 100% get being bummed out, but going on and on about how he's "dead" is too much for me when he's practically the next closest thing to playable. Summonable... not too far off, right? With this and his VC releases, he could be getting much more attention outside of Smash sooner than later here :)
Hmm. . .Thanks for your input reply I wasn't expecting this kind of reaction at first but thanks again!
Thinking back on past directs Sakurai has talked about for SSB4 he did mention wanting to add as many Assist Trophies as he possibly can. The fact that Takamaru was in his ideas of AT addition does make Takamaru look good! Especially for a potential promotion to him getting future AT > Playable treatment similar to a Little Mac scenario.:shades:

Edit: If nobody knew who Takamaru was, the future generation will surely know now, & that just helps Takamaru even more.

Last edited:

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Well, it has been fun Turokman, discussing Takamaru and all.

I will be leaving this thread and start participating in others. It will take a couple of days to acknowledge Takamaru is not playable, but eventually my brain will sadly acknowledge it as fact.

P.S. I need to get some rest.
Yep I need to retire as well, check out k rool if you haven't already

Also the "funeral" stuff is a little toungue in cheek guys, takamaru's in as an AT and that's pretty cool

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Yep I need to retire as well, check out k rool if you haven't already

Also the "funeral" stuff is a little toungue in cheek guys, takamaru's in as an AT and that's pretty cool
Agreed about the Funeral stuff. It is just discussed to show respect to our beloved character.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Honestly, Takamaru's made a pretty big splash thinking about it. Going from a sticker of a character only a pittance of people would know him by date and date of Brawl's release, to getting referenced in increasingly bigger ways to actively getting his first title released in regions that never had them before, to getting the second best position any character can get going into this franchise in only one generation shift? That's quite an impressive pace.

Really, I'm already beginning to feel accepting of this. He'll be my favorite assist for sure when he shows up. With enough dedication and Nintendo's sudden new interest in pushing him (even slightly) maybe we'll be the Ridley/K. Rool/Mewtwo/Issac of Smash 5 or DLC campaigns down the road...

This isn't a defeat, it's an extended comeback guys. :p

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
RIP Takamaru, I didn't much care for him but I know a lot of people did so it's sad to see him deconfirmed.

Still, an AT is way better than nothing.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I'm actually pretty happy with this. I wanted him as playable, but since I think there's a good chance of him getting a new game some time in the future (especially with Nintendo's push to second party some of their franchises), I think it's actually better this way, as it allows him to get the attention he deserves, a likely new game and then the Little Mac treatment next game.

The best way to support now is to go and buy his new game whenever it comes out, and kick up the support again when Smash 5 becomes a thing.

Either way, I'ma go water a Samurai's grave.

*Clap Clap Bow*

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
A damn shame, another one of my most hopeful newcomers missed the mark. This sucks, but i guess thats just the way it goes with smash bros.

All we can do now is honor the character and at least be grateful hes present.

For the lonely samurai, off into the sunset

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
I'm so upset right now. I never even got to support before his untimely demise. Add me to the support anyway?

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I got super excited when I saw the picture but then reality hit me after the caption. A bit bummed, as I was a supporter of him, but looking at the positive side, being an AT is still pretty freaking good. That's definitely something to build up from in the future. Now I will add my Takamaru-energy into Isaac, not only because I want him in, but also to show that other AT's than Little Mac can get the promotion into playable characters (being also a good sign for Takamaru in the future).

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I'm surprised that so many people got excited when they first saw the picture. When I first saw it I knew exactly what it was since there will always be a trailer with a newcomer.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
First Waluigi, the man in purple, the antithesis of Luigi, the comrade of Wario the source of everyone's comic humor since the N64 Mario Tennis... gone....

Then Dillon, Nintendo's REAL spin dashing mascot (not you, Sonic), everyone's favorite armadillo, saving the rolling Western, representing Nintendo foray into brilliant digital content.... dead...

Then Chrom, the valiant hero of the Halidom of Ylisse, He fell Grima, and helped Robin and so many others go through hardship... killed...

And now Takamaru, a character who's legacy started with Samus and Link, the protaginst of the Murasame Castle, Nintendo's first and only true Samurai.... all but gone...

Why?

Please,
Shulk, Isaac, Ridley,Mewtwo, King K Rool, Paper Mario, Bowser Jr, Krystal.... stay strong.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I cannot believe it. Takamaru was sooooo close! I honestly thought he was going to be our retro newcomer. But maybe for SSB5? Sakurai did say Takamaru waited many years to be in Smash! I'm so sorry Takamaru supporters...

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
Well this is a darn shame. While not my most wanted newcomer, Takamaru was still someone I hoped would make it on to the roster. I guess being an AT isn't too bad in that regard, gives him a chance for future Smash games after WiiU/3DS. (And his new model looks pretty sweet)

Keep the hope alive you guys, Maybe someday we'll be able to play as our favourite lonely samurai. It may not be this time, but someday...

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for you guys, but Takamaru as an AT is pretty neat I must say! Still a lot better than a mere sticker right?
Anyways, maybe for Smash 5 he follows Mac's steps.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
One last note from me for now, if you're interested in Project M and have a moment of time to donate, make sure you head over to the Clone Engine Character Voting thread and leave a few votes to show that there's interest in having him playable in a Smash game. Just be polite and be sure to read the rules. Let's get his visibility up through every channel we can. :)

Wegenbarth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3609-1252-6127
Don't worry my Bros, in Smash5 Takamaru (and Waluigi) will break free from the chains of being an Assist and be playable!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well this royaly sucked....

At least I can say I like the model in which he could have been playable. I like how it's a really faithful recreation of the original boxart version of Takamaru.
I like it WAY more than Captain Rainbow and Samurai Warriors 3 version.

Oh well, SSB5 it is then. For now, I'm glad he got promoted to Assist Trophy from a mere sticker.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Well, everyone, it was fun. At least he can help us in battle. His fate was a lot better than another swordsman we know. :smirk:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Hey! Both Takamaru and Simon Belmont debuted in the same year! Both should have a trailer together in SSB5!

Takamaru for SSB5!

Simon Belmont for SSB5!

The new East vs. West!

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well that wasn't how I expected him to go out.

My condolences to all you Takamaru supporters. I do think that he was probably the best choice for a retro newcomer if we were to get one. Pity that it seems he'll be sitting this Smash out...

Little-Mac!!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedrawingdutch
I was supporting him the most after little mac.. a bit sad about this, but an assist trophie is a great thing as well. 2nd best smash inclusion IMO

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I just want to know how Takamaru figured out how to use a computer to type out that message.

Another promising contender has been shot down, my condolences. I just hope Takamaru doesn't freeze up at the sight of a lady during his assist trophy, there's a lot of them this time around.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Daaaang. I was really rootin' for him, I thought he had quite the chance! I remember doubting him popping up aftter Greninja was shown, but I would have been glad to be proven wrong.

My condolences to all of you. But at least, he got noted with a the usual "honourable mentions" ala Assist and I'm having confidence that he'll keep on writing new history. I mean, isn't this his, 4th, cameo appearance during 6 years? Before that he was nowhere to be seen aside from the GBA-port of his NES original around 00s. I just say, keep your head high and live another day guys. Takamaru ain't gonna be away from Nintendo's vicinity anymore, unlike some other forgotten Nintendo-characters (Lip comes to mind)

Also now I can ship him with Lyndis...

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I just want to know how Takamaru figured out how to use a computer to type out that message.
What I'm wondering is how he learnt to type modern Japanese. I mean the language has evolved so much in the last 50 years that people are asking for Japanese subtitles on Godzilla, and that's Showa period... Takamaru's from he Edo period, 300 hundred years before that!

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
What I'm wondering is how he learnt to type modern Japanese. I mean the language has evolved so much in the last 50 years that people are asking for Japanese subtitles on Godzilla, and that's Showa period... Takamaru's from he Edo period, 300 hundred years before that!
The world may never know.

(Jeff taught him... I wonder where is he)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom