• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Ivander

Smash Legend
Of course not.

That’s why Anime Swordfighter Peach will become her own fighter. :troll:
This just reminds me that one of the first things that will happen after the game is released is all of Peach's outfits will probably be used for Smash Ultimate mods to replace some characters.

Getting one step closer to that "Everyone is Peach" mod.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord

There's so many movesets to use in Showtime I'm wondering if they'll even try to reference it in the next smash in her moveset?
Mighty Peach is going to make the bad guys cry like an anime fan on prom night.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
I hope that peach game had a Space level where she's an astronaut fighting cardboard aliens, or a horror level where peach is disguised as a classic monster (there's no way that a slenderman peach exists)

timrtabor1234

Smash Rookie
How would y'all feel if the next roster was primarily decided by a new highly ambitious story mode? With cutscenes and talking and such.

Meaning characters like Ness and Lucas are likely to be passed over for being primarily mute while someone like Shulk and Pyra are more likely to stick around.

Of course not all mute characters would be cut, Link would probably make that his primary characteristic. And I could see certain characters talking more often than they would normally, such as the Mario crew (something they've been experimenting a bit with lately anyway). Some could bring in their voices from anime adaptations and cartoons

Here's an example roster using only veterans

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultrosalina::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucario::ultmewtwo::ultfalcon::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultcorrin::ultroy::ultchrom::ultrobin::ultike::ultwario::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpalutena::ultsonic::ultsnake::ultwiifittrainer::ultmegaman::ultshulk::ultpyra::ultmythra::ultryu::ultken::ultcloud::ultsephiroth::ultbayonetta::ultrichter::ultjoker::ult_terry::ultkazuya::ultsora:
I haven't played the game in a few years and it could be a Tomato translation thing for all I know but I'm pretty sure Lucas speaks when you play as other characters in Mother 3.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
I'm almost certain they won't change any of Peach's moves to reference Showtime. The whole point of the game is that she dresses up in attire that's not necessarily in-character for her, and uses attacks based on those costumes as a performance.

That's very unfitting for her Smash portrayal, which is basically a mishmash of Peach's early playable roles (SMB2, Mario RPG, the sports spinoffs) & some peachy girly stuff like the rainbow, ribbon, and heart attacks. Also butt attacks because she has a poofy dress that takes up a big portion of her character model.

I don't see this Peach whipping out a sword or pulling off random kung fu moves.

This conversation happens every time a longtime Smash veteran gets a new game. And it almost never happens. "Should Mario get an Odyssey moveset?" "Should Link reference BotW fully?" "Should Kirby get a Star Allies move?" and nothing happened...

Smash doesn't really give into recency bias when it comes to its veterans. Some updates happen overtime (Link's new designs, Mario's Cappy taunt, Yoshi's ugly Crafted skin) but at large, we never really see "this character's fighting moveset has totally changed direction because of X game in their series".

We only saw that happen one; and the product of it was F.L.U.D.D...

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Smash doesn't really give into recency bias when it comes to its veterans. Some updates happen overtime (Link's new designs, Mario's Cappy taunt, Yoshi's ugly Crafted skin) but at large, we never really see "this character's fighting moveset has totally changed direction because of X game in their series".

:pit: to :4pit: was a big change in specials due to Uprising.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I always wondered what would have happened with Pokemon Trainer in Smash 4 if it wasn't for the 3DS version axing transformations. Would they have tried to keep him in his entirety or scrap Ivysaur and Squirtle because of time anyways?

PT was on Brawl's boxart, which does make it seem like Sakurai views him as an important character and only had to cut him because of necessity due to technical limitations because muh 3DS, similar to the Ice Climbers.

Whether it's Red or Ash or whatever cross canon counterpart, the whole "boy with a red hat" archetype character is a genuinely iconic part of the Pokemon series as a whole, Ash is probably one of the most iconic characters in the IP alongside Pikachu, so I do think Sakurai sees Trainer as a top priority.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
we can have at least one outfit as an alt?
They wouldn't work. All of Peach's animations and attacks are made with the dress in mind. So unless most of her attacks change, Showtime isn't getting the spotlight on the battlefield.

I do think we're gonna see some kind of Peach Showtime content in the base game though, probably in the form of a Sparkle Theater stage. Luigi's Mansion got a stage before it officially became a series.

:pit: to :4pit: was a big change in specials due to Uprising.
That's an exception. Sakurai made that game, and it was the first Kid Icarus entry in 20+ years. Of course its content would find its way into Smash when it got the chance.

Compare that to a series like Mario, where the characters get new games and new content every other year. If Smash attempts to include everything from their most recent appearances, their designs would just end up bloated and disjointed.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Whether it's Red or Ash or whatever cross canon counterpart, the whole "boy with a red hat" archetype character is a genuinely iconic part of the Pokemon series as a whole, Ash is probably one of the most iconic characters in the IP alongside Pikachu, so I do think Sakurai sees Trainer as a top priority.
Considering what happened in Smash 4 and how highly complicated they are to develop probably not.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
They wouldn't work. All of Peach's animations and attacks are made with the dress in mind. So unless most of her attacks change, Showtime isn't getting the spotlight on the battlefield.

I do think we're gonna see some kind of Peach Showtime content in the base game though, probably in the form of a Sparkle Theater stage. Luigi's Mansion got a stage before it officially became a series.
i said one

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Pokémon Trainer is relatively safe due to the fact that all their animations were just freshly remade for Ultimate. Smash 4 newcomers and new returnees like Mewtwo and Roy were almost straight up ported into Ultimate with the bare minimum model and animation adjustments. The same could happen to the Ultimate additions who weren't in Smash 4. Those characters were just made for the new game, so why shake them up significantly in the next one? Their assets are newer than someone like, Mario or Donkey Kong, who have been largely using the same animations since Melee/Brawl.

i said one
None of them wear a big poofy dress and a crown like the default Peach does.
Patissier Peach could certainly work as an outfit for Peach, as it is the closest design similar to Peach's own dress.
Her big hat wouldn't work with the forward air. She also doesn't have a full length dress, so the down smash wouldn't work for her either.

Last edited:

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Well we only have one of Cosplay Pikachu's costumes thanks to factors like Libre being the most popular of the five.
Pikachu Libre was also in Pokken over the others. As her own character no less. That probably gave her the edge.

Also, the reason why I don't think any of Peach's Showtime outfits will show up in the next Smash as costumes is because they serve gameplay purposes. Mario's Odyssey outfits and the cosplay Pikachus can fight in the same manner as the default versions, but Peach's outfits are all supposed to fulfill different gameplay quirks and gimmicks. Swordfighter Peach fights with a sword, Cowgirl Peach has a lasso, Mermaid Peach sings, and so on.

I could see a cinematic Final Smash where Peach quickly switches between the different forms, delivering fast attacks with every costume's characteristic prop: Swordfighter's sword, Cowgirl's lasso, Kung Fu and Ninja attacks, maybe Dashing Thief could swoop in with that hook thing and deliver a midair kick as a finisher.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I feel like Pokémon Trainer is relatively safe due to the fact that all their animations were just freshly remade for Ultimate. Smash 4 newcomers and new returnees like Mewtwo and Roy were almost straight up ported into Ultimate with the bare minimum model and animation adjustments. The same could happen to the Ultimate additions who weren't in Smash 4. Those characters were just made for the new game, so why shake them up significantly in the next one? Their assets are newer than someone like, Mario or Donkey Kong, who have been largely using the same animations since Melee/Brawl.

None of them wear a big poofy dress and a crown like the default Peach does.

Her big hat wouldn't work with the forward air. She also doesn't have a full length dress, so the down smash wouldn't work for her either.
perhaps we should contact an expert

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'm almost certain they won't change any of Peach's moves to reference Showtime. The whole point of the game is that she dresses up in attire that's not necessarily in-character for her, and uses attacks based on those costumes as a performance.

That's very unfitting for her Smash portrayal, which is basically a mishmash of Peach's early playable roles (SMB2, Mario RPG, the sports spinoffs) & some peachy girly stuff like the rainbow, ribbon, and heart attacks. Also butt attacks because she has a poofy dress that takes up a big portion of her character model.

I don't see this Peach whipping out a sword or pulling off random kung fu moves.

This conversation happens every time a longtime Smash veteran gets a new game. And it almost never happens. "Should Mario get an Odyssey moveset?" "Should Link reference BotW fully?" "Should Kirby get a Star Allies move?" and nothing happened...

Yeah, that's why I'm hoping for full alternate movesets for those characters.

People keep saying "well these new movesets will alienate old players", yet keeping these movesets the same admittedly alienates new players who came from those new games.

So give the characters who have the source material to make it work full alternate movesets.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that's why I'm hoping for full alternate movesets for those characters.

People keep saying "well these new movesets will alienate old players", yet keeping these movesets the same admittedly alienates new players who came from those new games.

So give the characters who have the source material to make it work full alternate movesets.
That'd eat into the budget that's reserved for newcomers. I doubt new players would care more about Mario using Cappy or Peach using a sword than seeing a brand new fighter join the fray.
it wasn’t. there’s a user on here who seems to understand character skeletons pretty well
Doesn't take an expert to understand dressless costumes wouldn't work with Peach's kit and animations currently. Just look at all the dressless mods.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
That'd eat into the budget that's reserved for newcomers. I doubt new players would care more about Mario using Cappy or Peach using a sword than seeing a brand new fighter join the fray.
Everything would eat into the budget reserved for something else. I'm no longer all too concerned about newcomers because they're eating into the budget reserved for things to do with those characters like other modes and minigames.

Frankly, I'd rather see some of the focus diverted away from newcomers and more towards what you can do with the characters, whether that be new alternate movesets or modes.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Speaking of Cross-Media, i'm still waiting for Pokespe Red or Red with the self-aware Clefairy in Pokemon Masters.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Smash 4 was an exception because of the 3DS hardware limitations. Future consoles won't have those problems.
But it's still a character with three times the work of your average fighter, as they're essentially three separate unique characters in one slot. Pyra and Mythra even take less work than them because they're practically semi-clones of each other. I believe that we're more likely gonna just have Charizard back as a solo fighter again like in Smash 4 because with a reduced roster I don't think Sakurai would want to put in that extra work to bring back one of the game's most complex fighters.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Everything would eat into the budget reserved for something else. I'm no longer all too concerned about newcomers because they're eating into the budget reserved for things to do with those characters like other modes and minigames.

Frankly, I'd rather see some of the focus diverted away from newcomers and more towards what you can do with the characters, whether that be new alternate movesets or modes.
I get it, I also would love it if some extra attention was given to the veterans, the same kind of attention newcomers get. Most of my favorites are in the game already, so I'd rather they get polished to perfection than someone new that I don't care about join. From a marketing perspective, it also makes more sense to have more new characters.

Also, I don't know if this alternate movesets idea would work well in execution. They kinda tried it with custom moves and it turned out messy. Some characters got more interesting moves than others, and the DLC ones didn't get any at all. The fanbase would just be a mess. I imagine people whose favorites got more limited options would whine a lot. I also don't know if over-complicating the already existing cast is a good idea.

And again, Mario having a Fire moveset, Tanooki moveset, Cappy moveset etc. would be like... okay, cool, but only if you're a really big Mario fan. What would characters like Marth or Zelda get. Fox and Captain Falcon? Those movesets are already a stretch, and I think they don't need to be stretched further.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Doesn't take an expert to understand dressless costumes wouldn't work with Peach's kit and animations currently. Just look at all the dressless mods.
what do mods matter? especially for a hypothetical future game where the moveset might have changed

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
It doesn't take an expert to understand dressless costumes wouldn't work with Peach's kit and animations currently. Just look at all the dressless mods.
Not necessarily, you do see mods that feature Peach without a dress and they don't look too bad. The main thing would really be her down smash, and even then, she's always got her leg extended for the attack.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Should we really rule things out for the next smash because of things in ultimate that may very well have changed in the next game?

Top Bottom