• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
There's also the fact Zangief would be playing like Zangief. As in how he plays in Street Fighter with the same light/medium/heavy gimmick, non-changeable trajectory of jumps, and button commands just like Ryu and Ken do.
Oh no

I don't want to do 360s in Smash.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
This is somewhat controversial, but I'd honestly be okay if Pokemon skipped out on getting another rep in the next Smash game. :ultpikachu:, :ultpokemontrainer:, :ultmewtwo:, :ultlucario:, and (to a slightly lesser extent) :ultgreninja: is a pretty strong core of characters that properly represents what the series is about while also including some of its most iconic and popular characters. :ultjigglypuff: can also be grandfathered in due to its icon status within Smash itself.

I do like Meowscrada and it could be a lot of fun, but I don't think there needs to be a new Pokemon for the sake of having a new Pokemon anymore.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'd be down for either Meowscarada or Skeledirge, personally.

I'd be curious if the former could actually be given a magician or mage-type moveset, while the latter could be interesting in terms of moveset just from the fact that it'd be one of the very few quadruped fighters in the series.

That said, I do agree than a Gen 9 newcomer is seemingly unlikely at this point. Only way it could happen is if Sakurai or Gamefreak personally requests one be added or if a Smash game that hasn't been announced yet has already been under development for at least a little while.

Quillion

Smash Hero
This is somewhat controversial, but I'd honestly be okay if Pokemon skipped out on getting another rep in the next Smash game. :ultpikachu:, :ultpokemontrainer:, :ultmewtwo:, :ultlucario:, and (to a slightly lesser extent) :ultgreninja: is a pretty strong core of characters that properly represents what the series is about while also including some of its most iconic and popular characters. :ultjigglypuff: can also be grandfathered in due to its icon status within Smash itself.

I do like Meowscrada and it could be a lot of fun, but I don't think there needs to be a new Pokemon for the sake of having a new Pokemon anymore.
Hard agree even if I don't expect it. In fact, perhaps it'll be best if Pokémon, Fire Emblem, and Xenoblade all skip out on next Smash just to release the team from the "recent rep from rotating cast" obligation.

7NATOR

Smash Master
There's also the fact Zangief would be playing like Zangief. As in how he plays in Street Fighter with the same light/medium/heavy gimmick, non-changeable trajectory of jumps, and button commands just like Ryu and Ken do.

Oh, and auto-turnaround as of Ultimate.
While I do like the fact they did a pretty good job of representing the controls of Street Fighter in Smash with Ryu and Ken, I kind of wonder if they should always do that same thing with any future Characters they add to Smash, or they should add more Compromise between controlling more like a Regular Smash character or a Street Fighter character.

In the Actual Street Fighter Series, part of the reason Shotos like Ryu and Ken are so popular is because they are simple to Play, but that's the opposite for them in Smash. I find they are more niche characters in Smash, due to stuff like having to be precise with button presses due to the Light/Medium/Heavy Gimmick, Auto Turnaround, and Inputs. I think mostly the Light/Medium/Heavy thing makes them a little uncomfortable to play though. I guess it's part of the charm

Which Brings me to Chun-Li. In the actual Street Fighter games, despite being as Iconic as she is, she's not always the most popular, at least in terms of Playrate due to her being Complicated to use for players than someone like Ryu and Ken. Which means if they bring her to Smash, she's already at kind of at a Disadvantage in that aspect if Ryu/Ken are niche characters in Smash because they are Complicated.

Might be part of the reason she hasn't shown up in Smash as of yet. I'm interested to see how they do implement her if they bring her in Smash. I think she should be built like a Slow Disjoint character that keeps people out with her legs, and and using any combos she can do to Combo into her Charge moves. Her legs should be Powerful

Ivander

Smash Legend
So, uh, not to derail the current convo, but certain transformations for Peach in Princess Peach Showtime are starting to leak. Be careful.
Some of you better try to run off the internet quickly if you don't want to be spoiled, because even if you try to block any post regarding it, you may not stop the surge of fanart about to happen in seconds.

That said, taking a look, there does seem to be implications that Princess Peach Showtime might get a new trailer soon.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Some of you better try to run off the internet quickly if you don't want to be spoiled, because even if you try to block any post regarding it, you may not stop the surge of fanart about to happen in seconds.

That said, taking a look, there does seem to be implications that Princess Peach Showtime might get a new trailer soon.
If there's a Direct this month, then that's where to look. Though apparently there are rumors it'll be a Partner Showcase.

Ivander

Smash Legend
If there's a Direct this month, then that's where to look. Though apparently there are rumors it'll be a Partner Showcase.
Actually, after a comment pointed it out when reading comments about it, the PPST trailer is apparently planned to be shown tomorrow on the 14th. The Partner Showcase is supposedly planned for Thurdays or around there.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Zangief would play nothing like Incineroar and the similarities are simply aspects of the grappler archetype.
Rather have Mike Haggar than Zangief. Rep that Final Fight!

This is somewhat controversial, but I'd honestly be okay if Pokemon skipped out on getting another rep in the next Smash game.
Not as happy as I'd be skipping a FE rep. But yeah.

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
I'll eat my hat if they ever cut Incineroar. The dude is just too much of a success as a fighter, so unique and well-designed.

I never noticed he uses his claws for moves other than ftilt though!
Always liked ftilt because a wrestler isn't supposed to stab you, but he's a heel after all

smashkirby

Smash Hero
That's because StarTropics literally has never had any sort of release in Japan whatsoever lol
You know, speaking of StarTropics, I think they should represent more western Nintendo properties in Smash in some way, like StarTropics itself and Tinstar.
I certainly wouldn't be opposed to seeing the likes of Mike Jones, Mr. Stevenson, or Tin Star show up as trophies and/or spirits going forward. Heck, I've even wondered if Geist would have any chance of showing up in Smash. I even had a Spirit Battle idea in mind for Jonathan Raimi, that involves his soul possessing a Snake clone.

What is everybody's favorite company crossovers in Smash? And which ones they want to see that hasn't happened yet?

Nintendo vs SEGA will always be mine. Even if it's not the best representation of their console wars, at least it's got Mario and Sonic.

Next game, I hope it's Namco vs Tecmo. These two companies always seemed like a good match, especially when it comes to their fighting games (Tekken and Dead or Alive).
Nintendo vs. SEGA, Nintendo vs. Capcom, Nintendo vs. Namco. No question.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
For personal reasons, no thanks. I'm fine with tobacco not being represented in Smash and I think it should stay that way.
This, I ****ing hate smoking with a burning passion and would rather keep it away from.... Well, everything honestly
Not like it has any realistic chance of happening. In a game where they can't expose so much as female thighs, I don't expect something as actually harmful and inappropriate as smoking to show up.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
One of Dr. Mario's taunts kinda looks like he's stomping on a cigarette to stop it from burning.
That's as far as references to smoking in Smash Bros. will go.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Weirdly enough the only smoking allowed in Smash will be Chris Redfield in the next sequel lighting up a cigarette for a taunt; featured in the Japanese version but not in the Western release.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
well that's wrong on several levels. firstly how did you get water based for SS? and how exactly are claiming smash treats the warrior games? last i checked that version of impa had a cameo in ultimate. and both Oot and SS are on the switch that's hardly irrelevant and even there smash is a game about history there's no such thing as irrelevant.

the idea of a "correct" way to represent impa doesn't matter in smash. not in a series where characters have moves from different characters in their games or made up moves entirely.

also her being very different in every game hardly matter cause the same is also true of zelda. sure she looks pretty similar each time but compare the personalities of the incarnation we currently have in smash to the previous one we had. quite different
If she got in Smash, I think Impa would probably just get a brand new design, probably mostly based on the OoT one but not exactly. Kind of like what she got in the original Hyrule Warriors, not that design specifically of course but a new one.

I don't think people would be confused, except for hypercasuals who are confused at pretty much everyone except the really big faces. Impa is a well-known character from Ocarina of Time and Zelda broadly, so I don't think obscurity is an issue here.
I used to be a really big Impa supporter until recently but have kind of fallen off the train as of late. The problem with Impa is that she doesn't feel like a concrete "character"... she moreso feels like multiple separate characters who all happen to share the same name. She's a protector of the royal family in every game, but there's no clear answer as to how she'd fight. OoT Impa would presumably be a Sheik derivative. SS would be a water-based ninja which we already have in Greninja. AoC is non-canon, and we know how Smash treats the Warriors games.

Also, no matter which version is included, people would be confused. OoT and SS Impa are irrelevant right now, and while her fans from that era would be happy, newer fans would wonder why she looks like that. Imagine someone who's only played BotW/TotK seeing the young "Impa" in Smash. They'd barely recognize her and probably be confused. On the contrary, including grandma Impa would probably disappoint the fans of the games that portray her as a badass warrior. There's no correct way to portray the concept of Impa. They could take one of them and prop her up as the Impa, but it simply wouldn't be. Because the character isn't one idea.
So Lets start with impa i guess...!
Speaking of BOTW/ TOTK only players not recognizing Impa those guys dont recognize ANYTHING From the "Outdated" Zeldas Limiting Zelda to that only to appease the main stream is an awful idea! And even then they know that:
1 impa is a sheikah and
2 they might recognize her from AOC (although i doubt even that)
and 3. My Idea for Impa / Sheik would be to incorpoate sheikah weapons from BOTW/ TOTK which might be enough to make Mainstreamys happy!

Giving her a new design would make sense considering they did that with Sheik twice Remember only link ever looked like that sheik looks pretty diffrent and her only canon design is OOT/ OOT 3d

And you can certainly include refrences to grandma impa Especially now that shes tied to hot air ballons thats like the perfect recovery
And again many suggest Yiga but i think why not roll "Zelda Ninja" Reffrences into Sheik and/ or Impa? Yiga are just not as important as zeldas maid and main Warrior!

And yes While Link seems to have the same personality each time! Zelda Acts also pretty diffrent i mean especially if you look at Twilight princess zelda who was in the most smash games she acts vastly diffrent from ALL Other zeldas usually zelda isnt really that serious/ Sad! Alöso she straight up has BROWN? Hair! Thats hugely diffrent from even BOTW/ TOTK zelda! so i think impa not being EXACTLY like in the two new games isnt an issue!

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
And yes While Link seems to have the same personality each time! Zelda Acts also pretty diffrent i mean especially if you look at Twilight princess zelda who was in the most smash games she acts vastly diffrent from ALL Other zeldas usually zelda isnt really that serious/ Sad! Alöso she straight up has BROWN? Hair! Thats hugely diffrent from even BOTW/ TOTK zelda! so i think impa not being EXACTLY like in the two new games isnt an issue!
i said that. don't quote me just to tell me what i've already said

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'll eat my hat if they ever cut Incineroar. The dude is just too much of a success as a fighter, so unique and well-designed.

I never noticed he uses his claws for moves other than ftilt though!
Always liked ftilt because a wrestler isn't supposed to stab you, but he's a heel after all
I'm going to disagree here and say that I think Incineroar is one of the more likely characters to be cut. A lot of it comes down to Sun and Moon no longer being relevant enough to justify a dedicated rep for its own sake, which was his original path into Smash, and competition amongst Pokemon reps being really tight rather than any intrinsic fault with the character itself.

Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, and Mewtwo are general pop culture icons, Greninja and Lucario are the most and second most popular Pokemon respectively, and Jigglypuff is very well-liked in Smash and is easy to develop. The only character Incineroar seems to have a leg up on is Pichu, which still puts in a precarious position because there's a very solid chance that Pokemon gets more than one cut to its roster. That's especially likely if we're getting a new Pokemon in the base game, as it increases the probability that Smash can't catch all of the veteran Pokemon.

That being said, seeing any vet go sucks, so I hope post-launch support for the next Smash is extensive enough for Incineroar to be a DLC character. Give him a Masked Royal alt so he and Pikachu Libre can have Pro Wrestling matches, too.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
What is everybody's favorite company crossovers in Smash? And which ones they want to see that hasn't happened yet?

Nintendo vs SEGA will always be mine. Even if it's not the best representation of their console wars, at least it's got Mario and Sonic.

Next game, I hope it's Namco vs Tecmo. These two companies always seemed like a good match, especially when it comes to their fighting games (Tekken and Dead or Alive).
Not a huge of Company vs Company concept personally. Limits the scope on characters can get involved to just 2 companies only with the roster will dominated by just the big hitters and main faces of said companies

This, I ****ing hate smoking with a burning passion and would rather keep it away from.... Well, everything honestly
I hate Smoking and Smokers too but I don't think seeing fictional characters having one out in the game as victory or even a cool interaction is the end of the world

Noipoi

Howdy!
what a happy thought
See I’ve made my peace with my main being scrapped so comments like this don’t even phase me.

No matter what the next game is, Smash Ultimate will always have a special place in gaming history just for what it is and the impact it made upon release. I have a feeling that people will still go back to it for years to come. And Incineroar will always be part of that.

That’s good enough for me :nifty:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm going to disagree here and say that I think Incineroar is one of the more likely characters to be cut. A lot of it comes down to Sun and Moon no longer being relevant enough to justify a dedicated rep for its own sake, which was his original path into Smash, and competition amongst Pokemon reps being really tight rather than any intrinsic fault with the character itself.

Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, and Mewtwo are general pop culture icons, Greninja and Lucario are the most and second most popular Pokemon respectively, and Jigglypuff is very well-liked in Smash and is easy to develop. The only character Incineroar seems to have a leg up on is Pichu, which still puts in a precarious position because there's a very solid chance that Pokemon gets more than one cut to its roster. That's especially likely if we're getting a new Pokemon in the base game, as it increases the probability that Smash can't catch all of the veteran Pokemon.

That being said, seeing any vet go sucks, so I hope post-launch support for the next Smash is extensive enough for Incineroar to be a DLC character. Give him a Masked Royal alt so he and Pikachu Libre can have Pro Wrestling matches, too.
I don't think that will be enough to keep the Pokémon Trainer around. They're just too much work, as they're basically three completely unique fighters in one slot. I instead think that Charizard will be on his own again like in Smash 4.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Guess I'm one of the very few who think of Queen Azarel and Chief Zog from Warlocked. These two are among the many characters I would like in the Super Smash Bros. series.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I don't think that will be enough to keep the Pokémon Trainer around. They're just too much work, as they're basically three completely unique fighters in one slot. I instead think that Charizard will be on his own again like in Smash 4.
Your incredible underestimation of Sakurai and the Smash team’s abilities and devotion will never crease to amuse me.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
See I’ve made my peace with my main being scrapped so comments like this don’t even phase me.

No matter what the next game is, Smash Ultimate will always have a special place in gaming history just for what it is and the impact it made upon release. I have a feeling that people will still go back to it for years to come. And Incineroar will always be part of that.

I think that’s a good outlook to have, especially if the Switch 2 is backwards compatible. My favorite is Sephiroth so I’m right there with you. If our favorites do get cut in the next game, there’s always Ultimate to go back to. I think that’s one of the main reasons I can live with my favorites not returning. It would still suck of course but at least I can play as them somewhere. Mods also help keep the older games like Ultimate fresh so there will always be something to look forward to.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

that sounds nice

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Imagine if Incineroar gets cut but then comes back as dlc

People would be pissed
Not me.

Would be laughing my ass off at the obnoxious haters while pre-ordering.
They can just shut the **** up and not buy Incineroar. :drshrug:

....oh who am I kidding. Incineroar could be absolutely free and optional and not affect anything whether in the game or not, and they'd STILL just ***** about about the thought of him being there like they've done the past 6 years.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Admittedly while I am overly defensive about Pichu being the Gen 2 rep, I am prepared for it to inevitably be cut in the next Smash. I'm just glad it wasn't gone forever.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Your incredible underestimation of Sakurai and the Smash team’s abilities and devotion will never crease to amuse me.
I think that it was only because of Everyone is Here that Pokémon Trainer even came back to begin with, and if they weren't gonna do that then we would once again have Charizard on his own.

Top Bottom