• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Regarding Pokemon Trainer, I feel like they’re the safest Pokemon character after Pikachu given that Charizard is part of it and that the three in one gimmick was actually brought back in Ultimate. Even though they are a complex character, Melee had two (technically three) complex characters added in spite of its limited development time, where Zelda/Sheik were our first transforming character, and Ice Climbers have the double team gimmick. I think the interest to add Pokemon Trainer back would outweigh the concerns of developing them when going into the next game, especially when the next console should be strong enough to support them.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
what do mods matter? especially for a hypothetical future game where the moveset might have changed
I doubt they'll change the moveset that much. They never have so far, and Peach admittedly doesn't need it. But the whole debate is pointless anyway. All the costumes are given equal attention and each have their own gameplay mechanics. They don't work well as alts.
Not necessarily, you do see mods that feature Peach without a dress and they don't look too bad. The main thing would really be her down smash, and even then, she's always got her leg extended for the attack.
The down smash does "blade" damage and is a multihit. Makes no sense for a kick. Forward air is also a crown smack, and the other costumes have different types of headwear or no headwear at all.
Should we really rule things out for the next smash because of things in ultimate that may very well have changed in the next game?
We should rule things out that seem super unrealistic anyway.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I doubt they'll change the moveset that much. They never have so far, and Peach admittedly doesn't need it. But the whole debate is pointless anyway. All the costumes are given equal attention and each have their own gameplay mechanics. They don't work well as alts.

We should rule things out that seem super unrealistic anyway.
Well that doesn’t prove anything. That’s just saying I don’t think they will do they want. and what do their gameplay mechanics matter in smash? you think she has to have the moves that the outfit has? that’s not how smash works. if it was then joker would be powerless in two of his alts

and super unrealistic? come on. they change character moves all the time. And what seems super unrealistic is going to change from person to person so no we shouldn’t rule it out just cause you don’t believe it

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
We talk about a lot about cuts here, but I'd like to see at least one if the more obvious cuts stick around, specifically Pichu or Young Link.

They're easy cuts before they were generally seen as redundant but I've loved having them around. Young Link especially feels he has more of a place now as regular Link becomes more distinct (Also Young Link is my favourite Link to play as)

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It's almost a pity modern games are so resource and time heavy these days because it almost feels like you could get two very interesting and contrasting Smash sequels. Get the your typical follow-up with largely veterans and obvious newcomers and have the other one as the big experimental game with the main hook being multiple different versions of the same character battling it out. Mario with RPG, vs DK, traditional, & Odyssey variations. Link based on the Oracle games going against the Skyward Sword incarnation and a the BotW/TotK version. Epic Yarn Kirby teaming up with power combination Kirby from 64 & Forgotten Land Kirby.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
We talk about a lot about cuts here, but I'd like to see at least one if the more obvious cuts stick around, specifically Pichu or Young Link.

They're easy cuts before they were generally seen as redundant but I've loved having them around. Young Link especially feels he has more of a place now as regular Link becomes more distinct (Also Young Link is my favourite Link to play as)
yeah it’d be nice to have them stick around

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Well that doesn’t prove anything. That’s just saying I don’t think they will do they want. and what do their gameplay mechanics matter in smash? you think she has to have the moves that the outfit has? that’s not how smash works

and super unrealistic? come on. they change character moves all the time. And what seems super unrealistic is going to change from person to person so no we shouldn’t rule it out just cause you don’t believe it
She has to have the moves the outfits have because that's all the outfits are... promo material straight up calls them transformations. Imagine if Mario had a tanooki suit alt with no tail attack. Awkward.

I also don't want them to make Peach more generic in favor of including her costumes from this game. I love them and they look great, but Peach should maintain her quirks like the multihit down smash and the funny crown aerial. Replacing those with generic kicks to squeeze Swordfighter or Ninja Peach into the moveset would be disappointing imo.

I'll also stand by the point that the costumes are a package deal. You can't arbitrarily have Patissiere and Figure Skater or something, then leave out the rest. They all get equal bidding, all have 2 renders and their own trailer. Why show arbitrary preferential treatment for Smash?

I love Pichu because it's a cute Pokemon and those are my favorite. Young Link represents my favorite Zelda game (OoT). I personally like them both, but in Smash... you can't even entertain the idea that they'll stay. They're such obvious omissions; probably the top two most expendable fighters on the roster. Young Link doesn't have the visual distinction of Toon Link, and Pichu is unpopular and from my experience, many casuals mistake it for Pikachu anyway. There's really no point in keeping it around.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

I've already said it before, but I think there is an argument to Toon Link being the Link who gets cut instead:
Here's a hot take when it comes to cuts: Toon Link is more likely to be cut than Young Link.

Toon is supposed to be Young's successor, but Young Link's been more popular to play as in Ultimate, and Toon Link doesn't really have recency going for him anymore when the Switch hasn't had any new Zelda games with a toon Link.

Unless you count the Link's Awakening remake, but...those aren't WW-esque designs.
As for Pichu...well I think it'll just have to be lucky, even if I think expecting the Gen 2 rep to not be Pichu even if Melee had the resources for a unique Gen 2 fighter would be a waste of time.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
She has to have the moves the outfits have because that's all the outfits are... promo material straight up calls them transformations. Imagine if Mario had a tanooki suit alt with no tail attack. Awkward.

I also don't want them to make Peach more generic in favor of including her costumes from this game. I love them and they look great, but Peach should maintain her quirks like the multihit down smash and the funny crown aerial. Replacing those with generic kicks to squeeze Swordfighter or Ninja Peach into the moveset would be disappointing imo.

I'll also stand by the point that the costumes are a package deal. You can't arbitrarily have Patissiere and Figure Skater or something, then leave out the rest. They all get equal bidding, all have 2 renders and their own trailer. Why show arbitrary preferential treatment for Smash?

I love Pichu because it's a cutest Pokemon and those are my favorite. Young Link represents my favorite Zelda game (OoT). I personally like them both, but in Smash... you can't even entertain the idea that they'll stay. They're such obvious omissions; probably the top two most expendable fighters on the roster. Young Link doesn't have the visual distinction of Toon Link, and Pichu is unpopular and from my experience, many casuals mistake it for Pikachu anyway. There's really no point in keeping it around.
I'm entertaining the idea that they'll stay and there's nothing you can do to stop me

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
I'm entertaining the idea that they'll stay and there's nothing you can do to stop me
Okay...? All power to you. I can also entertain the idea that Mario will get cut, doesn't mean it'll happen!

Actually, while we're on the topic of totally unrealistic expectations. I think Jiggylpuff, Pichu, Squirtle and Ivysaur should be the only mons to stay because they're the cutest ♡

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

I love Pichu because it's a cute Pokemon and those are my favorite. Young Link represents my favorite Zelda game (OoT). I personally like them both, but in Smash... you can't even entertain the idea that they'll stay. They're such obvious omissions; probably the top two most expendable fighters on the roster. Young Link doesn't have the visual distinction of Toon Link, and Pichu is unpopular and from my experience, many casuals mistake it for Pikachu anyway. There's really no point in keeping it around.
yes it’d be like Mario having the wedding outfit with no odyssey abilities or the builder outfit without the hammer

and if you think things don’t get preferential treatment in smash then you’re fooling yourself

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
yes it’d be like Mario having the wedding outfit with no odyssey abilities or the builder outfit without the hammer

and if you think things don’t get preferential treatment in smash then you’re fooling yourself
Not at all... Wedding Mario has no exclusive abilities. He's just Mario in a white tuxedo. Wedding Mario in Odyssey can do everything that Mario can do. Same for Builder Mario at the time of Ultimate's development. Remember, SMM2 with its hammer powerup didn't come out until seven months after Smash Ultimate.

Preferential treatment really isn't shown towards these kinda of things. Mario got his two most obvious and promoted costumes. Not two random ones that the dev team liked, or the ones they could squeeze in most easily.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Okay...? All power to you. I can also entertain the idea that Mario will get cut, doesn't mean it'll happen!

Actually, while we're on the topic of totally unrealistic expectations. I think Jiggylpuff, Pichu, Squirtle and Ivysaur should be the only mons to stay because they're the cutest ♡
I've been part of the Smash scene long enough to know that not everything is so clear cut.

Back in the day, Toon Link was probably the most expected cut for Smash Wii U. This was only further confirmed when Toon Link was spotted on the Spirit Tracks stage. People expected either "Classic" Link (as in the guy from Link Between Worlds) or no second Link at all.

Lo and behold, Alfonzo was like "Leave it to me" and we instead lost Squirtle and Ivysaur. I don't think anybody expected Charizard to play solo. There was actually quite a large group of people back then who didn't expect any Pokémon newcomers. Just the same Brawl characters with Mewtwo coming back. Citing that Gen 6 had no notable new Pokémon worth bringing in.

And then Roy came back

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Not at all... Wedding Mario has no exclusive abilities. He's just Mario in a white tuxedo. Wedding Mario in Odyssey can do everything that Mario can do. Same for Builder Mario at the time of Ultimate's development. Remember, SMM2 with its hammer powerup didn't come out until seven months after Smash Ultimate.

Preferential treatment really isn't shown towards these kinda of things. Mario got his two most obvious and promoted costumes. Not two random ones that the dev team liked, or the ones they could squeeze in most easily.
I noticed you glossed over my point about joker.

kirby representation is based primarily on sakurais own games. pyra and mythra got in due to favouritism. greninja is here cause sak thought he was cool. corrin is here cause the dev team were all playing fates at the time. terrys entire video is sakurai gushing about how much he loved him. inceneroar was chosen over the more popular one cause of what sakurai wanted to do. preferential treatment is in smash all the time

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
I noticed you glossed over my point about joker.

kirby representation is based primarily on sakurais own games. pyra and mythra got in due to favouritism. greninja is here cause sak thought he was cool. corrin is here cause the dev team were all playing fates at the time. terrys entire video is sakurai gushing about how much he loved him. inceneroar was chosen over the more popular one cause of what sakurai wanted to do. preferential treatment is in smash all the time
What point about Joker? I didn't even see that at all.

And that's not the type of preferential treatment I'm talking about.

I'm talking about, if Smash decided to only include Larry, Wendy and Lemmy instead of all of the Koopalings, because why not. They fit better with Junior's skeleton than the rest.

Sometimes it's all or nothing.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What point about Joker? I didn't even see that at all.

And that's not the type of preferential treatment I'm talking about.

I'm talking about, if Smash decided to only include Larry, Wendy and Lemmy instead of all of the Koopalings, because why not. They fit better with Junior's skeleton than the rest.

Sometimes it's all or nothing.
well then you didn’t read everything. like i said, in his school uniform he shouldn’t have access to his powers. so think peach has to have an entirely new moveset before she can have a new alt isn’t an issue

that argument would work if there weren’t already incomplete character sets on the roster. inceneroar and greninja with the rest of their stater trios. pyra and mythra without Rex. mewtwo without mew. alph without Brittany and Charley. we only have 4 out of 11 DQ heroes

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
well then you didn’t read everything. like i said, in his school uniform he shouldn’t have access to his powers. so think peach has to have an entirely new moveset before she can have a new alt isn’t an issue
Ok, so I'm gonna chime in here because this is a false equivalence.

Some of Peach's attacks use her outfit for the attack. Specifically her dress for Down Smash and crown for forward air. If you put her in an outfit that doesn't have either, then you're going to have to change up how the moves work or risk it looking awkward. (Which is doable)

I've never played Persona 5, but this is more about staying true to the source material. Which Smash Bros has always been a bit lax with anyway. Joker still has his glasses which he uses instead of his Mask so the animation still works.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Ok, so I'm gonna chime in here because this is a false equivalence.

Some of Peach's attacks use her outfit for the attack. Specifically her dress for Down Smash and crown for forward air. If you put her in an outfit that doesn't have either, then you're going to have to change up how the moves work or risk it looking awkward. (Which is doable)

I've never played Persona 5, but this is more about staying true to the source material. Which Smash Bros has always been a bit lax with anyway. Joker still has his glasses which he uses instead of his Mask so the animation still works.
well that was one of their arguments, they think that peach will have to have a new moveset to accommodate those alts. rather than she can just pull a crown out of thin air like k.rool and his blunderbuss

I was also suggesting how do we know that peach is gonna keep those moves to which princess said I don’t think they will

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Regarding Pokemon Trainer, I feel like they’re the safest Pokemon character after Pikachu given that Charizard is part of it and that the three in one gimmick was actually brought back in Ultimate. Even though they are a complex character, Melee had two (technically three) complex characters added in spite of its limited development time, where Zelda/Sheik were our first transforming character, and Ice Climbers have the double team gimmick. I think the interest to add Pokemon Trainer back would outweigh the concerns of developing them when going into the next game, especially when the next console should be strong enough to support them.
I don't because they already were cut. To me Lucario is actually the second safest Pokémon character with Greninja not far behind.

Last edited:

superprincess

Smash Journeyman

that argument would work if there weren’t already incomplete character sets on the roster. inceneroar and greninja with the rest of their stater trios. pyra and mythra without Rex. mewtwo without mew. alph without Brittany and Charley. we only have 4 out of 11 DQ heroes
Joker doesn't use specific props for his student uniform. As NintenRob NintenRob already mentioned, he's got the same build and silhouette as normal Joker. I also haven't played Persona but I think there's an option to wear the student uniform in Palaces?

Anyway, the Peach costumes still don't work for her established Smash Bros kit, and including them as alts would deprive them of their unique abilities, which is their whole point. You ignored my Tanooki point, but it still stands. The outfits are basically Peach's answer to powerups, and Mario has no powerup alts in Smash (fire was in but he has fireballs). There's nowhere else to go with this argument. They don't work with the animations, period.

Anyways, what does everyone think about the lack of a February Direct? Does it confirm the yearly suspicion that the new console's coming? If it really is, I expect Smash speculation to skyrocket. Ultimate's comparatively long DLC cycle wore us out, but I expect the hype to come back full force if a new system era is announced.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
I don't think anybody expected Charizard to play solo.
-Ahem-

I did in fact predict that in the potential case Trainer couldn't come back as they work in Brawl as a result of the 3DS that Charizard would be the only one that had a shot going solo. Why? Because it was goddamn Charizard.

And I got pushback for it since of course they would NEVER just have one of them. It was all or nothing. :rolleyes:

Just one of many examples I've been right about Pokémon.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
It's almost a pity modern games are so resource and time heavy these days because it almost feels like you could get two very interesting and contrasting Smash sequels. Get the your typical follow-up with largely veterans and obvious newcomers and have the other one as the big experimental game with the main hook being multiple different versions of the same character battling it out. Mario with RPG, vs DK, traditional, & Odyssey variations. Link based on the Oracle games going against the Skyward Sword incarnation and a the BotW/TotK version. Epic Yarn Kirby teaming up with power combination Kirby from 64 & Forgotten Land Kirby.
I guess it depends on what happens in the future, particularly if AI does get better and make it easier to do programming, adjusting, bug fixes and whatnot. With the rapid pace it's been developing, it might not be too long.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Mighty Peach is going to make the bad guys cry like an anime fan on prom night.
This is wild lol, since I happened to be binging Mighty No 9 content today (obviously moreso stuff surrounding the disaster it ended up being than the game itself). It's a really interesting case study, like they should show examples from MN9 in game development classes on how to not advertise your game.

It's even more disheartening to realize that this whole debacle was pretty much for nothing once Mega Man 11 rolled around, as far as I can tell at least.

It's funny to imagine that another situation like this happened not too long apart from MN9 with Yooka Laylee, which also happened to be a similar crowdfunded indie spiritual successor platformer. At least Yooka Laylee's reputation wasn't as bad and somewhat rebounded after Impossible Lair released because I genuinely find these two endearing. I honestly wouldn't mind them in Smash Bros, they've got fun designs and moves. I even remember seeing people trying to rally to vote for them on the Smash Ballot in the hopes they would scratch that Banjo itch, but now... well, y'know.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Joker doesn't use specific props for his student uniform. As NintenRob NintenRob already mentioned, he's got the same build and silhouette as normal Joker. I also haven't played Persona but I think there's an option to wear the student uniform in Palaces?

Anyway, the Peach costumes still don't work for her established Smash Bros kit, and including them as alts would deprive them of their unique abilities, which is their whole point. You ignored my Tanooki point, but it still stands. The outfits are basically Peach's answer to powerups, and Mario has no powerup alts in Smash (fire was in but he has fireballs). There's nowhere else to go with this argument. They don't work with the animations, period.

Anyways, what does everyone think about the lack of a February Direct? Does it confirm the yearly suspicion that the new console's coming? If it really is, I expect Smash speculation to skyrocket. Ultimate's comparatively long DLC cycle wore us out, but I expect the hype to come back full force if a new system era is announced.
peach’s entire moveset is not based solely on her dress, what animations and moves might not even be in the next smash game so to tell us we can’t have something because of something that might no even be there anymore is an imaginary argument. I ignored you tanooki point because it has no bearing on what we’re talking about. you think they’d have to completely reinvent peach because of a minimum number of moves that wouldn’t work with it is? that makes zero sense. NintenRob said there were two moves that relied on her outfit. two. characters have had bigger changes than that

and you can’t use the depriving them of unique abilities argument because there’s plenty of characters on the roster who don’t have them. there are so, so many things in smash that are missing “their whole point”. That’s not an argument

ultimately all you’re saying is I don’t think it will happen therefore it can’t

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This is a weird oddly specific argument. If the Smash team wanted to give Peach some costumes, they'll give her some costumes. If they don't, they won't. This is really all it amounts to
you’re right. I think somewhere along the way I meant to make that point but I lost sight of that

so super princess I will offer my apologies for being short with you

Gengar84

Smash Hero

We did get Pikachu Libre and not the rest of the Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire Pikachu costumes so I don’t think it’s completely necessary to have the whole set at once.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
peach’s entire moveset is not based solely on her dress, what animations and moves might not even be in the next smash game so to tell us we can’t have something because of something that might no even be there anymore is an imaginary argument. I ignored you tanooki point because it has no bearing on what we’re talking about. you think they’d have to completely reinvent peach because of a minimum number of moves that wouldn’t work with it is? that makes zero sense. NintenRob said there were two moves that relied on her outfit. two. characters have had bigger changes than that

and you can’t use the depriving them of unique abilities argument because there’s plenty of characters on the roster who don’t have them. there are so, so many things in smash that are missing “their whole point”. That’s not an argument
There's many more moves that rely on her dress. All the butt attacks for example. Her run animation also has her holding her dress. Forward tilt relies on the stretching of the skirt to make a good silhouette. Her central gimmick, the float itself, relies on Peach's dress.

The tanooki point still isn't irrelevant :/ Tanooki Mario not using his tail would be weird. Swordfighter Peach not using her sword would be weird. End of story!

We did get Pikachu Libre and not the rest of the Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire Pikachu costumes so I don’t think it’s completely necessary to have the whole set at once.
I already mentioned her unique playable role in Pokken & someone else said she was the most popular/promoted one.

Anyways. This topic really got tired.

I was thinking about the Zelda characters currently in the game and wanted to ask y'all something. Do you like what Ultimate did by having each character come from a different game, or do you prefer the consistent approach of the previous entries? I personally prefer when they all came from one game. The trifecta of Link/Zelda/Ganon(dorf) is so important that I think they should all come from the same era. It makes the Zelda universe feel more close-knit and the competition feels... fiercer? Idk how to word this, but I hope you understand.

The "diversification" can come in the form of extra characters. Sheik would be reverted to their only canon (and best) look, the OoT one, and Toon Link would of course represent Wind Waker. If the main Triforce Trio all come from TotK next time, maybe we could get someone who represents the classic games, like Pig Ganon? Perhaps our first Skyward Sword rep with Demise as a Ganondorf clone?

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Also, I don't know if this alternate movesets idea would work well in execution. They kinda tried it with custom moves and it turned out messy. Some characters got more interesting moves than others, and the DLC ones didn't get any at all. The fanbase would just be a mess. I imagine people whose favorites got more limited options would whine a lot. I also don't know if over-complicating the already existing cast is a good idea.

And again, Mario having a Fire moveset, Tanooki moveset, Cappy moveset etc. would be like... okay, cool, but only if you're a really big Mario fan. What would characters like Marth or Zelda get. Fox and Captain Falcon? Those movesets are already a stretch, and I think they don't need to be stretched further.
Which is why only a few characters, like only those with the material to make it work, should have alt movesets. Like Mario with his Hammer, Link with a heavy sword, Kirby with any other weapon. Only those characters.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The trifecta of Link/Zelda/Ganon(dorf) is so important that I think they should all come from the same era. It makes the Zelda universe feel more close-knit and the competition feels... fiercer?
Unfortunately they’ll do this to Ganondorf and remove all of his Ocarina drip. It will be a sad day when he is officially himbonized.

Zelda? I don’t even like this current era’s Zelda.

With other characters coming from specific eras, I like the variety. It keeps things fresh.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
There's many more moves that rely on her dress. All the butt attacks for example. Her run animation also has her holding her dress. Forward tilt relies on the stretching of the skirt to make a good silhouette. Her central gimmick, the float itself, relies on Peach's dress.

The tanooki point still isn't irrelevant :/ Tanooki Mario not using his tail would be weird. Swordfighter Peach not using her sword would be weird. End of story!

I already mentioned her unique playable role in Pokken & someone else said she was the most popular/promoted one.

Anyways. This topic really got tired.

I was thinking about the Zelda characters currently in the game and wanted to ask y'all something. Do you like what Ultimate did by having each character come from a different game, or do you prefer the consistent approach of the previous entries? I personally prefer when they all came from one game. The trifecta of Link/Zelda/Ganon(dorf) is so important that I think they should all come from the same era. It makes the Zelda universe feel more close-knit and the competition feels... fiercer? Idk how to word this, but I hope you understand.

The "diversification" can come in the form of extra characters. Sheik would be reverted to their only canon (and best) look, the OoT one, and Toon Link would of course represent Wind Waker. If the main Triforce Trio all come from TotK next time, maybe we could get someone who represents the classic games, like Pig Ganon? Perhaps our first Skyward Sword rep with Demise as a Ganondorf clone?
My ideal scenario is that Smash goes the route of the original Hyrule Warriors and gives us an alt for each version of the character. That way, everyone can still play as their favorite versions of each character no matter what game they came from. My personal favorites for each are OoT Link and Ganondorf and TP Zelda. Barring that, I like representing the history of the series and having each character represent a different game like we have in Ultimate. If I had to choose a single game for all the characters, my pick is OoT since it has my favorite versions of two of the three characters. If Impa makes it in, I’m still hoping for her Hyrule Warriors moveset and design but Skyward Sword is my next choice.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Update is live.

It's just for the Sora amiibo; no balance patches.
Well I was thinking further DLC was unlikely but not impossible, but with this patch containing absolutely nothing but code for the Sora amiibo, combined with there seemingly not being a February Direct?

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Which is why only a few characters, like only those with the material to make it work, should have alt movesets. Like Mario with his Hammer, Link with a heavy sword, Kirby with any other weapon. Only those characters.
Not sold on this idea at all, sorry. You're telling me only a few characters would get two movesets' worth of options just because they have the source material to pull it off? You need to remember Smash is also a fighting game, not just a library of references. Forming a concrete moveset for each character is enough work as is. Putting twofold the amount of effort for one character just doesn't seem worth it. It'd be a nightmare to balance too.

Unfortunately they’ll do this to Ganondorf and remove all of his Ocarina drip. It will be a sad day when he is officially himbonized.

Zelda? I don’t even like this current era’s Zelda.

With other characters coming from specific eras, I like the variety. It keeps things fresh.
I don't really care about the design of Ganondorf, because Smash Ganondorf is arguably his own character at this point. They could realistically put all four (maybe three if they have issues animating WW Dorf's robes) in as alts and the moveset would still work. It's that generic. OoT has to be my favorite visually, but TotK comes close. He has a certain appeal! The creators said it, not me.

As for Zelda... the approach Ultimate had with her fell kinda flat. We already have Peach as an "airhead" type of character that taunts you, and Daisy as the more energetic, cheerful girl. We didn't need Zelda to follow suit. She was fine as a serious and more collected individual. It matched her wise nature too. So I wouldn't mind TotK Zelda making it in, especially with her pretty Zonai dress.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Update is live.

It's just for the Sora amiibo; no balance patches.
Finally, Greninja can live without fear in his heart.

Well I was thinking further DLC was unlikely but not impossible, but with this patch containing absolutely nothing but code for the Sora amiibo, combined with there seemingly not being a February Direct?
At this point they’re working on the one for the next console. We won’t know about it until we least expect it, just like last time. :p

Quillion

Smash Hero
Not sold on this idea at all, sorry. You're telling me only a few characters would get two movesets' worth of options just because they have the source material to pull it off? You need to remember Smash is also a fighting game, not just a library of references. Forming a concrete moveset for each character is enough work as is. Putting twofold the amount of effort for one character just doesn't seem worth it. It'd be a nightmare to balance too.
It's more of a nightmare to balance those overwrought, gimmick-laden DLC characters for Smash 4 and Ultimate, yet they try anyway.

Top Bottom