• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
It's more of a nightmare to balance those overwrought, gimmick-laden DLC characters for Smash 4 and Ultimate, yet they try anyway.
It... really isn't.

Moving on!
I am once again here to beg you to consider Lara Croft for next Smash. Her new design is absolutely perfect.
View attachment 384861
I'll say it, she's one of the last remaining gaming icons. Everyone knows who this character is. Get her in!

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
As for Zelda... the approach Ultimate had with her fell kinda flat. We already have Peach as an "airhead" type of character that taunts you, and Daisy as the more energetic, cheerful girl. We didn't need Zelda to follow suit. She was fine as a serious and more collected individual. It matched her wise nature too. So I wouldn't mind TotK Zelda making it in, especially with her pretty Zonai dress.
ALttP / ALBW Zelda isn’t airheaded, I definitely don’t get that vibe. Young, enthusiastic, royal, and smug as ****.

I can’t possibly **** with the other “serious” Zelda’s, because for one, OoT Zelda still lives on through Sheik, and that was the only time she did anything that wasn’t surrender or job. Same with TP Zelda, she’s a jobber.

ALttP and ALBW Zeldas fought until the very end. At least I respect that with BoW/ToTK Zelda.

Quillion

Smash Hero
All the Zelda characters need are alts for the different incarnations. Also, Byleth was able to have different idles and taunts for the M and F alts, so just do that with Zelda to account for personality differences.

Ganondorf is more-or-less the same character-wise between games, so he just needs alts no strings attached.

I still want a OoT/TP Link echo that accounts for the Brawl/Smash 4 moveset differences from BotW-based Ultimate Link though, but I know that's just me there.

As for the one-shots, I still think having them playable would be a waste of resources for main characters for other series, so just reserve them to ATs, and keep Sheik for legacy reasons.

Last edited:

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
ALttP / ALBW Zelda isn’t airheaded, I definitely don’t get that vibe. Young, enthusiastic, royal, and smug as ****.

I can’t possibly **** with the other “serious” Zelda’s, because for one, OoT Zelda still lives on through Sheik, and that was the only time she did anything that wasn’t surrender or job. Same with TP Zelda, she’s a jobber.

ALttP and ALBW Zeldas fought until the very end. At least I respect that with BoW/ToTK Zelda.
Smash portrays her as a cheery, kinda smug but also sweet type, and it just doesn't work imo. She's supposed to have the Triforce of Wisdom, but she looks like she's fighting for the fun of it. The pink dress and blonde hair combo also brings her closer visually with Peach. It was fine for one game, but I'm not a huge fan.

OoT Zelda absolutely doesn't live through Sheik. Sheik's basically a Smash OC at this point. They gave Sheik a completely made up, feminized, Twilight Princess-esque design, and then the Stealth armor from BotW. Sheik is also not voiced by the same person who voiced OoT Zelda, which was the case in Melee.
All the Zelda characters need are alts for the different incarnations. Also, Byleth was able to have different idles and taunts for the M and F alts, so just do that with Zelda to account for personality differences.

Ganondorf is more-or-less the same character-wise between games, so he just needs alts no strings attached.

I still want a OoT/TP Link echo that accounts for the Brawl/Smash 4 moveset differences from BotW-based Ultimate Link though, but I know that's just me there.

As for the one-shots, I still think having them playable would be a waste of resources for main characters for other series, so just reserve them to ATs, and keep Sheik for legacy reasons.
I actually agree with this first part. If they insist on keeping Link's Arrows/Boomerang/Spin/Bomb special kit, Zelda's goddess spells kit, and Ganondorf's Falcondorf x Ike kit, then at least make the most of those generic movesets and give them costumes based on the rest of their incarnations. That way every fan can be happy.

Zelda one-shots would be a waste of resources... but your "alternate full movesets" idea wouldn't be? Something doesn't add up here.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Speaking of Zelda characters, there's something that I've been thinking about for a while.

What are, in your opinion, the definitive versions of Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf? As in, which designs are the first to come to mind when you think of these characters.

For me, it's OoT Link, and TP Zelda and Ganondorf.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Zelda one-shots would be a waste of resources... but your "alternate full movesets" idea wouldn't be? Something doesn't add up here.
It'd be like animating a full character on top of an existing character's model as opposed to modeling them and animating them.

Not a LOT less work per se, but still less.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Speaking of Zelda characters, there's something that I've been thinking about for a while.

What are, in your opinion, the definitive versions of Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf? As in, which designs are the first to come to mind when you think of these characters.

I’ve mentioned mine before in the last page but for anyone that missed it, mine are OoT Link and Ganondorf and TP Zelda. My favorite version of Impa is HW but I like SS most of her mainline appearances.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

For me, it’s OoT Link and Ganondorf, and ALBW Zelda. Honorable mention to BotW Link and TotK Ganondorf.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I'm not a fan of TP Zelda. Besides her model not aging well, one of the biggest issues I had with her in Smash Bros was how stiff-faced she was most of the time. She had different expressions, but most of the time, even in her taunts and victory poses, she only had one expression which made her feel so very lifeless next to the other characters who were much more expressive. Just because a character looks cooler and wise doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to be more expressive. And I'll take a Zelda allowed to be expressive over a Zelda not allowed to be expressive.

Also, one of the other reasons I want to keep ALttP Zelda is that personality-wise, she feels almost like Toon Zelda from Spirit Tracks who is easily the best pre-BotW/TotK Zelda no contest.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'm not a fan of TP Zelda. Besides her model not aging well, one of the biggest issues I had with her in Smash Bros was how stiff-faced she was most of the time. She had different expressions, but most of the time, even in her taunts and victory poses, she only had one expression which made her feel so very lifeless next to the other characters who were much more expressive. Just because a character looks cooler and wise doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to be more expressive. And I'll take a Zelda allowed to be expressive over a Zelda not allowed to be expressive.
What do you think of Rosalina?

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I love Ult Zelda, and I'd like for this general design to stick. Probably about the best they could do as far as a single design that fits her series-wide appearance. TP and BotW Zelda kind of miss out, but idk what can really be done about that without a lot of effort, so maybe palette swap references will have to suffice.
For Link, I am content with Classic and BotW alts.
I also like Ult Ganondorf, but wouldn't mind something a little, idk, chunkier? Like TP Ganondorf I mean. Kind of conflicted on TotK Ganondorf as far as putting it in Smash goes. Ideally there would be some way to reconcile it with the classic Ganondorf look as alts, but it's probably too different.

Ivander

Smash Legend
What do you think of Rosalina?
She's a bit more expressive, but believe it or not, she actually had more expression in Smash 4 compared to Ultimate. Two of her victory poses had her smiling expressively in Smash 4, but in those same victory poses in Ultimate, she's remains closer to her idle expression. Her taunts remain the same, with her Up-taunt having her close her eyes while twirling, her side-Taunt keeps her expression for the most part, but with a kinda sassy look as she looks to the viewers and her expression somewhat changes with her Down-taunt with her mouth opening as she's twirling her wand.

Still more expressive than TP Zelda who, for some of her attacks and almost all her taunts and victory poses, never changes from this expression.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Okay so I'm going to be honest with my Question

Am I the only here that believes everyone is coming back Next Smash? I know it has been said to be difficult to pull off again, but it was never called Directly Impossible, even as recent as the Smash Ultimate Game Concepts video from Sakurai.

It's not a Long term strategy for Future Smash games as a whole to bring every character back, unless Technology (or A.I) really becomes advanced for Game Development, but I think if they can pull of Everyone is Here Again, they should now rather than Later, because there may not be a later, and I think that's what is gonna happen with this next Smash game.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312

TP was my first (and most played) Zelda game, so those are the designs my mind jumps to first. Otherwise, I don't know if I'd really call any set the "definitive one." I definitely have my preferences but the characters themselves are going to be iconic regardless of design at this point.

Am I the only here that believes everyone is coming back Next Smash? I know it has been said to be difficult to pull off again, but it was never called Directly Impossible, even as recent as the Smash Ultimate Game Concepts video from Sakurai.

It's not a Long term strategy for Future Smash games as a whole to bring every character back, unless Technology (or A.I) really becomes advanced for Game Development, but I think if they can pull of Everyone is Here Again, they should now rather than Later, because there may not be a later, and I think that's what is gonna happen with this next Smash game.
Can't say I'm in your camp but I don't think it's completely outside the realm of possibility. If I were to bank on everyone is here again, I still don't think it'd be in base game though. I imagine a good chunk of third parties would be DLC again as would some first party characters to make room for newcomers in base.

7NATOR

Smash Master

OoT Link is the Coolest Looking Adult link. He's so Bright and colorful, but also Serious at the same time. He probably also has the coolest Voice of all the Links

Any Ganondorf is Cool, I think there should be an Option to have all of them. All of them convey such immense power

The Zelda we have Now I think is the best by far. She's so Vibrant in this one, and seems like she enjoys herself

Can't say I'm in your camp but I don't think it's completely outside the realm of possibility. If I were to bank on everyone is here again, I still don't think it'd be in base game though. I imagine a good chunk of third parties would be DLC again as would some first party characters to make room for newcomers in base.
Yeah I think even if not everyone were to come back in Base, I say that's what DLC is for

But honestly the things I have to say is that

-If there were to be cuts, I think it would be on the Nintendo side. I actually don't see any of the 3rd party characters getting cut at all for Base. Look I know there's licensing costs, but unless they plan on removing all or most of them, I think that's a moot point to be honest. I think Nintendo can make sure any deals they make will still allow them to take most of the profit off the base game

-I actually do think Every character is coming back in Base anyway. It may sound like I'm smoking something saying that, and I'm prepared to be proven wrong if it doesn't happen, but After looking into the engine thing that was being made at Namco that seems to be used for this next Smash game, I do think this Next Smash is being prepared to make that reality more possible, while still being able to add new content

Quillion

Smash Hero

Depends if you, others, and the dev team alike are willing to take the character assets being recycled again.

I'd say that's the best bet on Everyone is Here being a reality again. It would not only allow all/most of the character to come back, but would reduce the time needed to work on the characters themselves and therefore free up resources for other things.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Depends if you, others, and the dev team alike are willing to take the character assets being recycled again.

I'd say that's the best bet on Everyone is Here being a reality again. It would not only allow all/most of the character to come back, but would reduce the time needed to work on the characters themselves and therefore free up resources for other things.
I do think they should recycle the Character Assets. I think it has a Strong base, especially in Animations. Of course it could be touched up in the next game

Which is what I think might be happening with this new Engine. This new engine from Bandai Namco was being developed at the same time that Smash Ultimate DLC was being developed, by someone that worked on 2 of the Last Smash games (Smash 3DS and Smash Ultimate). One thing I could see, even if it sounds unbelievable, is that maybe the Assets were being recreated to test out the Capabilities of the engine.

Essentially Smash Ultimate could have been in the process of being re-built in this new engine whike Smash Ultimate DLC was going on, and perhaps also after it was completed, even if alot of the DLC Staff went back to working on Tekken 8

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I do think they should recycle the Character Assets. I think it has a Strong base, especially in Animations. Of course it could be touched up in the next game

Which is what I think might be happening with this new Engine. This new engine from Bandai Namco was being developed at the same time that Smash Ultimate DLC was being developed, by someone that worked on 2 of the Last Smash games (Smash 3DS and Smash Ultimate). One thing I could see, even if it sounds unbelievable, is that maybe the Assets were being recreated to test out the Capabilities of the engine.

Essentially Smash Ultimate could have been in the process of being re-built in this new engine whike Smash Ultimate DLC was going on, and perhaps also after it was completed, even if alot of the DLC Staff went back to working on Tekken 8
That'd be cool if true, but that's a whole lotta assumptions on your part as well. Moreover, if most of the staff got pulled back into working on Namco projects like T8, recreating Ultimate in a new engine seems even less plausible. A straight port, (like what people originally thought Ultimate would be), feels more likely in such a scenario and even that isn't without its hiccups depending on how smooth a transition it is into the new engine.

I guess I won't rule out the extended third-party negotiations either, but that seems like a pretty big stretch too tbh.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
7NATOR 7NATOR and Kirbeh Kirbeh : Where was it stated that Smash's staff was pulled to work on Tekken?

Either way, I think that's a non-issue considering Bamco made two studios specifically for partner projects, and it seems Nintendo will be a big focus for them.
I don't know what projects specifically the Smash team was dissolved into. We only know that they were dissolved and redistributed to other projects. With Tekken 8 being in development at the time, this is merely a likely guess. It's certainly possible that some of the members were also spread among the two new dev teams or other existing projects. As far as I'm aware we don't know which projects though.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately they’ll do this to Ganondorf and remove all of his Ocarina drip. It will be a sad day when he is officially himbonized.

Zelda? I don’t even like this current era’s Zelda.

With other characters coming from specific eras, I like the variety. It keeps things fresh.
Yes, OoT Ganondorf coming back for Ultimate after so many years being stuck with TP Ganondorf was glorious.
TotK's Ganondorf is even more meh than TP's. Would be a sad day indeed.

Zelda is also at her best in Ultimate.
The TotK versions of these characters are just so flat in my opinion. Maybe it's because of the game's story not doing them any favors, but even design-wise they're sorta just there.

In any case it might be time to give the Zelda characters more alternate costumes.

7NATOR

Smash Master
7NATOR 7NATOR and Kirbeh Kirbeh : Where was it stated that Smash's staff was pulled to work on Tekken?

Either way, I think that's a non-issue considering Bamco made two studios specifically for partner projects, and it seems Nintendo will be a big focus for them.

This was the tweet made.

That'd be cool if true, but that's a whole lotta assumptions on your part as well. Moreover, if most of the staff got pulled back into working on Namco projects like T8, recreating Ultimate in a new engine seems even less plausible. A straight port, (like what people originally thought Ultimate would be), feels more likely in such a scenario and even that isn't without its hiccups depending on how smooth a transition it is into the new engine.

I guess I won't rule out the extended third-party negotiations either, but that seems like a pretty big stretch too tbh.
I don't know what projects specifically the Smash team was dissolved into. We only know that they were dissolved and redistributed to other projects. With Tekken 8 being in development at the time, this is merely a likely guess. It's certainly possible that some of the members were also spread among the two new dev teams or other existing projects. As far as I'm aware we don't know which projects though.

So I do think some of the Team still working on Smash Ultimate did dissolve to working on Tekken 8, as it was definitely the Biggest Project to be worked on at the time

And I'll be honest, Even I will admit that it is a big assumption that Smash 6 Development was going on at the same time as Smash Ultimate DLC Development, and even after the DLC Completation, is being developed along side other Namco titles like Tekken 8. However We do know that Smash Ultimate was in the process of the Development during Smash 4 DLC (and also Tekken 7 Development at the time). So there is Past history I am going off of.

On the New Engine that is set to be used for the title being developed at Studio S, which is speculated to be the New Smash game, up to 50 people were working on it by the time the main Leads on the Engine development was interviewed in Early 2022

https://automaton-media.com/articles/hiring/20220203-190654/

In 2019,
when development began in earnest, there were only a few people, but now there are more than 50 participants. Since it is a game engine, the team consists mainly of engineers, but there are also technical artists and project managers who cut and evaluate specifications from the perspective of actual users.
I did note that one of the people has Experience being a Programmer for 2 Smash games. Of course the other Engineers do come from other sources like the Ace Combat series, so It's amazing how the experiences combine.

I will use this post to Plug my other Post that goes into the Theory of how Smash 6 Development cycle is going

Official - Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread | Page 1039 | Smashboards

Now I do think that maybe Recreating the Whole Smash Ultimate game sounds like an idea coming from someone that has been dunked on too much in the head. While not recreating the whole game, I do think somewhere along the pipeline they are using the Engine to test used assests to see how much more Graphical power can be improved on as an example.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I just love TP Zelda because it nails the regal but wise princess vibe.

She's a ****ing queen and owns it.
She does nail it, but like, besides Smash Bros, I don't think she smiles once in her own game. And after the stuff she's been through in TP, let the queen have a smile she deserves to have.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Weirdly enough the only smoking allowed in Smash will be Chris Redfield in the next sequel lighting up a cigarette for a taunt; featured in the Japanese version but not in the Western release.
If Snake isn't allowed to smoke, nobody is.

I'm just gonna post the new trailer for PPST.
Skater Peach slicing throats up in here!

She's supposed to have the Triforce of Wisdom, but she looks like she's fighting for the fun of it.
Everyone in Smash is fighting for the fun of it. They're toys.

Definitive
Link: Zelda 2: Adventure of Link
Zelda: Link to the Past
Ganondorf: Twilight Princess

Favorite
Link: Hyrule Warriors
Zelda: Hyrule Warriors
Ganondorf: Hyrule Warriors

Am I the only here that believes everyone is coming back Next Smash?
1707982267709.png

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
This is wild lol, since I happened to be binging Mighty No 9 content today (obviously moreso stuff surrounding the disaster it ended up being than the game itself). It's a really interesting case study, like they should show examples from MN9 in game development classes on how to not advertise your game.

It's even more disheartening to realize that this whole debacle was pretty much for nothing once Mega Man 11 rolled around, as far as I can tell at least.

It's funny to imagine that another situation like this happened not too long apart from MN9 with Yooka Laylee, which also happened to be a similar crowdfunded indie spiritual successor platformer. At least Yooka Laylee's reputation wasn't as bad and somewhat rebounded after Impossible Lair released because I genuinely find these two endearing. I honestly wouldn't mind them in Smash Bros, they've got fun designs and moves. I even remember seeing people trying to rally to vote for them on the Smash Ballot in the hopes they would scratch that Banjo itch, but now... well, y'know.

It's a shame too as Mighty Gunvolt Burst demonstrated what potential he has when the game he's in is focused and competent about utilizing him.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
So....

Indie Reps fellas? Any contenders for the new Smash. Those who likely or otherwise obsecure?

I've been a bit of Shovel Knight recently so the guy is the mind. He was Assist Trophy already for Ultimate with a full-fledge model along with Sans.

I think those 2 are the indies who the biggest chances of getting in. Sans is the very few where the antagonist is the most popular than even the protag.

Also Reimu surprisingly had a big backing as well.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i notice you guys have been talking about loz. if you could give and quick run down of your points so i can tell you all why you're wrong

I just love TP Zelda because it nails the regal but wise princess vibe.

She's a ****ing queen and owns it.
you however are right

There's many more moves that rely on her dress. All the butt attacks for example. Her run animation also has her holding her dress. Forward tilt relies on the stretching of the skirt to make a good silhouette. Her central gimmick, the float itself, relies on Peach's dress.

The tanooki point still isn't irrelevant :/ Tanooki Mario not using his tail would be weird. Swordfighter Peach not using her sword would be weird. End of story!
i notice you ignored the apology

So....

Indie Reps fellas? Any contenders for the new Smash. Those who likely or otherwise obsecure?

I've been a bit of Shovel Knight recently so the guy is the mind. He was Assist Trophy already for Ultimate with a full-fledge model along with Sans.

I think those 2 are the indies who the biggest chances of getting in. Sans is the very few where the antagonist is the most popular than even the protag.

Also Reimu surprisingly had a big backing as well.
hmm difficult. there's no reason to leave indies off the roster but smash never needs one. also i though sans wasn't the antagonist?

Pupp135

Smash Lord

This might be Melee nostalgia, but I think of the OoT versions for all three with Twilight Princess as an honorable mention.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think Ultimate has the best Ganondorf design ever. Even though they’re both based on his OoT design, I think he looks so much cooler in Ultimate than he did in Melee. It’s going to be a shame if we lose that design in the next Smash. I still think he’s pretty cool in TotK but I don’t think he’d still be in my top 2 at that point. Zelda was my number one favorite in Brawl and Smash 4 but she’s somewhere in the middle for me now.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Loving the love for Oot Ganondorf.

He looks absolutely fantastic in Ultimate, I was beyond thrilled to have this design back in Smash, especially after not liking how he looked in Smash Wii U (that was so bad). And he has an evil smirk!! I can't believe he didn't his evil smirk in Smash Wii U. Both Zelda and Ganondorf seemed incapable of smiling in that game.

Smash Ultimate is honestly the dream scenario with featuring my favourite design for all three Zelda characters (With Young Link being there as the Hero of Time). I really don't want to seem them go after achieving perfection.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
i notice you ignored the apology
I didn't see any apology but sorry! That argument was way too drawn out.

When it comes to definitive designs, it's definitely TP, at least for Link. That's the design they use for promo outside of the Zelda series. As for the other characters, I'm gonna have to go with TP again for Zelda, as Brawl was the game that introduced me to her, and for Ganondorf I'd say OoT because that was his first appearance and was always very striking to me compared to the kinda dull TP version.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
The Sora amiibo update’s out

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I didn't see any apology but sorry! That argument was way too drawn out.

When it comes to definitive designs, it's definitely TP, at least for Link. That's the design they use for promo outside of the Zelda series. As for the other characters, I'm gonna have to go with TP again for Zelda, as Brawl was the game that introduced me to her, and for Ganondorf I'd say OoT because that was his first appearance and was always very striking to me compared to the kinda dull TP version.
I love the art for TP Link but his model always looked kind of goofy in my opinion. I feel the same way about Link’s design in Smash 4. He had such a cool render but the actual in-game model had a weird looking face. I’m not sure if I’m in the minority here but I also think both Zelda and Ganondorf looked significantly better in Brawl than they did in Smash 4 despite both being based on their TP designs.

Top Bottom