• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
It's particularly weird that even among Nintendo franchises, we only have three from that decade: Animal Crossing, Pikmin and Wii Fit (with the honorable mention of Xenoblade, which almost made the 2000's cut by a few months).
The cold harsh truth is that that's really the result of most 2000s Nintendo franchises not being very successful or notable, or really fitting for Smash lol. Something like Chibi-Robo! just isn't drawing a crowd. Sakurai said as much as on the DOJO!!:

https://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/gamemode/various/various33.html

When they’re all lined up like this, it becomes obvious that there is roughly 6-year blank before and after Pikmin. While there have been big series since then like "Animal Crossing," "Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day," and "Wii Sports" it does seem that coming up with a completely new character-driven series has gotten more difficult recently.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The cold harsh truth is that that's really the result of most 2000s Nintendo franchises not being very successful or notable lol. Something like Chibi-Robo! just isn't drawing a crowd. Sakurai said as much as on the DOJO!!:

Chibi-Robo is perfect for it, he was just unfortunate enough to be before Sakurai went wild with the movesets in 4 and when the time came, his series was face down in a ditch.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
The cold harsh truth is that that's really the result of most 2000s Nintendo franchises not being very successful or notable, or really fitting for Smash lol. Something like Chibi-Robo! just isn't drawing a crowd. Sakurai said as much as on the DOJO!!:

I mean... nowhere in his statement is any indication that any of these series are "unfitting". That's definitely not a phrase I've ever seen Sakurai use, either.

Not to mention any argument about "needing to attract a crowd" lose some weight when you consider our preorder DLC for Ultimate was a generic mook.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I mean... nowhere in his statement is any indication that any of these series are "unfitting". That's definitely not a phrase I've ever seen Sakurai use, either.
That was literally his reasoning for no Animal Crossing fighter in Brawl

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Not to mention any argument about "needing to attract a crowd" lose some weight when you consider our preorder DLC for Ultimate was a generic mook.
To be fair it might not've meant to be DLC.

Although what really won't be attracting a crowd to Smash is Min Min. They clearly want the game she's from to have more players, not Smash.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
What a shock, people whose claim to fame are going around NDAs and disregarding what the actual content creators wishes are, to leak information, turn out not to be the best of people.

Anyway, it is July, it is hot, and I hope we get some Nintendo Direct goodness some time this month. I really want to know if what winter is going to look like release wise. I'm expecting we will be at 3/6 characters around then, but we will see.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Although what really won't be attracting a crowd to Smash is Min Min. They clearly want the game she's from to have more players, not Smash.
I think it's a two way street.

Smash benefits from having a unique new playstyle and some of the best music ever (don't circle lower case a me) and ARMS benefits from the boost in noteriety and counting itself amount Nintendo's "big hitters". It's by not means a guarantee of success, look at all of the F-Zero games we don't have, but the important thing is that they work together.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think it's a two way street.

Smash benefits from having a unique new playstyle and some of the best music ever (don't circle lower case a me) and ARMS benefits from the boost in noteriety and counting itself amount Nintendo's "big hitters". It's by not means a guarantee of success, look at all of the F-Zero games we don't have, but the important thing is that they work together.
Pretty much. They may know about third-party hype, but they also know that people are more likely to give a **** that a franchise is represented in Smash if it has a fighter. See: More people getting into Persona because of Smash than Golden Sun.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Pretty much. They may know about third-party hype, but they also know that people are more likely to give a **** that a franchise is represented in Smash if it has a fighter. See: More people getting into Persona because of Smash than Golden Sun.
Just to make sure I'm reading that right, more people checked out Persona because of Joker in smash than checked out Golden Sun because of Isaac as an AT? I agree if so. AT's are fun but characters are where the main hype is.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Just to make sure I'm reading that right, more people checked out Persona because of Joker in smash than checked out Golden Sun because of Isaac as an AT?
That is correct. It's not guaranteed that Isaac will become playable as DLC, but if he is, I'd feel like more people would get into GS from him actually being a fighter than the idea that he should be one. (I got into it because of the latter and I still believe this)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So you guys still think a direct could still happen in July?

I'm thinking there probably won't be one and it'll be in September to coincide with Amiibo Theory for the next fighter.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So you guys still think a direct could still happen in July?

I'm thinking there probably won't be one and it'll be in September to coincide with Amiibo Theory for the next fighter.
It's possible. Their winter line-up is really thin on the ground ATM. Only big exclusives we know of are Origami King, Bravely Default 2 and Deadly Premonition 2. Oh and the Crown Tundra DLC for Pokemon.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
Just to make sure I'm reading that right, more people checked out Persona because of Joker in smash than checked out Golden Sun because of Isaac as an AT? I agree if so. AT's are fun but characters are where the main hype is.
I can say, I bought a PS4 Pro to try Persona 5 after Joker got into Smash. I mean, I did not get that far into it, because the Reignited Trilogy happened and I kind of forgot about it. I have been playing Royal more now though.
Alternatively, I have never heard of Golden Sun outside of the "Isaac for Smash" crowd, which originally confused me because there is only one other Isaac I had heard of, and there is no way a crying naked child who fights poop monsters was getting into Smash.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I can say, I bought a PS4 Pro to try Persona 5 after Joker got into Smash. I mean, I did not get that far into it, because the Reignited Trilogy happened and I kind of forgot about it. I have been playing Royal more now though.
Alternatively, I have never heard of Golden Sun outside of the "Isaac for Smash" crowd, which originally confused me because there is only one other Isaac I had heard of, and there is no way a crying naked child who fights poop monsters was getting into Smash.
You never heard of the other other Isaac?

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
You never heard of the other other Isaac?

No, I did not. But, he is mugging Zeus so I guess he can come too.

Nah, those Isaac for Smash people clearly want Isaac Kleiner to STAHP Gordon Freeman from being the first Half-Life rep.
He's Isaac, He's Isaac, You're Isaac,, I'M ISAAC.
Are there any other Isaacs I should know about!?

Koopaul

Smash Champion

I feel like they just want ARMS to stay in the public consciousness. They aren't going to sell too many more copies because of Min Min. But it will help people remember ARMS is a thing. Why? A sequel. They want to make sure ARMS is remembered and recognize enough so when the sequel drops people will be interested in it.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Arms was seriously done dirty by being released in an already amazing first year for the Switch as well as Splatoon just sort of <insert Melee clip of Luigi footstooling Mario> into the spotlight barely a month later.

Also didn't help that Nintendo stopped supporting the game after a while, when it just needed a lot more content.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

He has a point in that a trend began at that time where many videogames weren't featuring protagonists with defined designs and/or personalities but rather avatar characters, especially in Japanese game-making. But as Sakurai himself later demonstrated, a less traditional representative for a game doesn't necessarily mean a character ill-suited for Smash. We saw this big time with Villager and Wii Fit, and would likely be the case for other unorthodox franchises of the era like Rhythm Heaven or Professor Layton, just to name a few.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I wonder if Papa Genos will do a video on Sabi?
With the recent allegations against Sabi, I can see him making a video to not only give his perspective on the "accusations" sabi had towards Paragon, but also telling his viewers he is cutting all ties with Sabi and won't reference them again in any of his videos.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I feel like they just want ARMS to stay in the public consciousness. They aren't going to sell too many more copies because of Min Min. But it will help people remember ARMS is a thing. Why? A sequel. They want to make sure ARMS is remembered and recognize enough so when the sequel drops people will be interested in it.
So, in other words, fighter representation is more attractive than non-fighter representation.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
But as Sakurai himself later demonstrated, a less traditional representative for a game doesn't necessarily mean a character ill-suited for Smash. We saw this big time with Villager and Wii Fit, and would likely be the case for other unorthodox franchises of the era like Rhythm Heaven or Professor Layton, just to name a few.
CRAAAAAWWLLLLIIING IIIIIIINNNN MY SKIIIIIIIINNN, THESE WOOOOOOUUUUUNNDSSS THEY WIIIIILLLL NOT HEEEEEEEAAALL

Last edited:

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER!!!
(Note: the link listed in the tweet requires a full membership to view the whole article)
There was a problem fetching the tweet

If Microsoft acquires WB Games, then Maxwell (Scribblenauts), Mortal Kombat, and other WB IP character(s) would be a Microsoft IP character(s). Even more possible Microsoft contenders for Smash.

I am looking forward to Mortal Kombat vs. Killer Instinct.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Bro, Maxwell would honestly be low-key hype for me. I loved playing Scribblenauts back in the day and his moveset can literally be anything.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Made some Kirby packs. 5 of them because the next 5 fighter packs are totally gonna be these guys. Decided to actually explain the content behind these packs instead of letting the images speak for themselves.

If this pass is somehow all themed around "second-chances" or whatever, it'll be ****ing devastating if Bandana Dee (or any Kirby character that isn't from Super Star for that matter) doesn't make it.

Anyway, I'd expect him to come with some recycled spirits. Cappy, Kabu, and Broom Hatter are some of the more recognizable reoccurring enemies so I'd expect them to be added at the very least. Kabula was a weird omission that should be fixed with BWD's addition. Hyness or Morpho Knight can both work as the Legend spirit for BWD.

Music list may not be the most diverse, but that's mostly because I divided the selection between all the characters and gave them certain focuses. BWD mostly focuses on Star Allies' soundtrack and some Dedede related tracks like Masked Dedede and Kabula.

Stage selection has the same thought process behind music selection. Dream Palace seemed like the obvious choice for a Star Allies stage. Preferable it would be a single platform stage, with only a bump in the middle that can be climbed from either side. Hazards-On could have Dream Friends appear every once in a while and interrupt the fight. Hazards-Off could have them only appear as cameos.

Classic mode theme is around making new friends. Selections were themed around enemies that turn into allies. You fight each character alongside a friend. :ultbowser: is fought with :ultmario:. :ultmewtwo: with :ultpikachu:. :ultkingdedede: with :ultmetaknight:. :ultdarkpit: with :ultpit:. :ultrichter: with an Alucard assist trophy. Master Hand with :ultkirby:. The last battle is the Master Hand WoL battle.

Overall, BWD is my most wanted Kirby character right now. Not to say the others don't matter, but they don't. (:

If there's anyone I might come to want more than BWD, it's these two and Dark Matter. Crystal Shards is one of my favorite Kirby games and since a remake is probably nowhere in the horizon, a Smash character is the next best thing.

Spirits are all original, surprisingly. Paint Roller and Drawcia are the only non-DL3 and 64 characters, but the reason why should be obvious enough.

Music selection was pretty easy. Crystal Shards and DL3 have a lot of fun tunes. Factory Inspection is one of the best tracks in the series (as you can tell by how many times it's revisited in the series) so having every version of it would be great. I originally was going to have Dark Matter be the one to have Canvas Curse and Rainbow Curse content instead of Adeleine, but then I realized what a ****ing idiot I was for thinking that.

Despite how much love I gave to Shiver Star in the music selection, the plaza in Ripple Star that appears in Crystal Shards' cutscenes would be my choice for a stage. It would look great remade in Smash.

Adeleine & Ribbon fight artists in their classic mode path. :ultswordfighter: would be wearing Vince's costume, :ultvillager: is there because of the custom designs you can make in Animal Crossing, :ultbowserjr: has his stolen paintbrush, :ultgnw: is less about the fighter and more about the stage as you would fight him in Pictochat, :ultkirby: because he can paint if given the ability to do it, Marx because he has that paint attack, and Inkling acts as the boss because her classic mode theme is similar.

Adeleine's only grown on me since her reappearance in Star Allies. It's hard to talk about Adeleine without bringing up Brawl in the Family, so here's that classic comic.

The villain I want the most out of the Kirby cast. Sure, Star Allies might not have included it as a Dream Friend, but seeing how its final boss is basically a part of the Dark Matter species, I think that's a fair trade.

Spirits and music are focused on final bosses, Dark Matter related characters, and Dark Meta Knight because he should be in this game somewhere. Some repeats, but mostly original. 5 of the spirits might as well be Legend tier, but Void Termina is the main one. Music selection may appear to be barebones, but you'll soon see where a number of the final boss themes went.

Hyper Zone might not appear to be the most appealing choice for a stage at first glance, but I think if it was a travelling stage that warped around the multiple corrupted stages for the final bosses it would be pretty cool. Imagine Final Destination but with even more disorienting backgrounds.

Classic mode is pretty simple. Dark Matter possesses King Dedede in the first fight and the next fights is the heroic group from Brawl. The hands are the final boss here, nothing crazy.

Dark Matter is a pretty underrated pick in my opinion. Not really expecting it anytime soon, but would be excited if it was included nonetheless.

Funny how Magolor went from a diabolical evil gremlin worse than Marx to a salesman in a flick of a dime.

I gave Magolor the most diverse selection of content. Return to Dreamland, Triple Deluxe, Planet Robobot, AND Kirby Clash content. Very few repeated spirits, and either Lor Starcutter or Magolor Soul can act as the Legend spirit.

Like I said before, very diverse selection of music. A good number of these tracks are already in the game as direct rips, but remixes are what I mainly want, so let's get them in the game again.

Sidescrolling stage. Shifts from the main dimension to the alternate dimension. Very simple and probably an idea that's being passed around for a while.

Classic mode fights are characters from series with free-to-play/start games: Team Kirby Clash, multiple Pokemon spinoffs, Fire Emblem Heroes, Animal Crossing Pocket Camp, Miitomo, and Dr. Mario World. Marx is the final boss because Magolor vs Marx is never a bad idea.

Magolor is far from my most wanted, but there's a lot he can bring to the table.

There's not a lot Marx could bring, in my opinion. Super Star already has more than enough content, so there was only a select few new things I was able to include here. I only included him here for the 5 fighters left gag so here's a bunch of nothing.

Spirits based on some bosses and random enemies were easy enough to include, especially with how many are already in the game. Sword and Blade Knight could potentially reference the anime, but I don't know how.

Very few music tracks. This is really just a tidying up list. Heavy Lobster and Galacta Knight are huge omissions and should've been in the base game.

Just pretend that stage picture is supposed to be Nova from Super Star instead of Star Dream. That was the most unique stage I could think of since nearly every unique setting from Super Star is in the game already.

Marx fights round characters. That's it. After Dark Matter, I really didn't want to do another villainish classic mode theme.

I don't hate Marx or Super Star (probably my favorite game in all honesty) but it's hard to pretend that Marx would bring a lot of new content to begin with. At least with other "oversatured" games like Gen 1 Pokemon and Fire Emblem there's more than enough content missing that could be included. Super Star just doesn't. For a final note, I guess I'll just say that I believe Marx was planned to be in the game as a fighter. His intro is very similar to Giga Bowser's and Ganon's, and he was one of only two bosses that weren't revealed before the game's release.
Final verdict: Kirby's a pretty cool series.

Last edited:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Reminder that tonight/today a new spirit board event is going to be announced for the end of the week
Hopefully we get a new series with new spirits
Who are you all hoping/expecting to see pop up?

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
Reminder that tonight/today a new spirit board event is going to be announced for the end of the week
Hopefully we get a new series with new spirits
Who are you all hoping/expecting to see pop up?
Honestly I've been hoping for Blaster Master getting some love. I'd like it to get more than just spirits though, but I'd be happy if it got anything.
It's the classic that's always there as one of the first when NES games are introduced to a new generation console. On top of that it has been revitalized with a ton of help from Inti Creates with great success.
I can only imagine how cool Jason and Sophia could be as a fighter though. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom