• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
listing all the ultimate newcomers so far for each generation of gaming
1980s: :ulthero3: :ultpiranha::ultsimon::ultridley::ultdaisy::ultken:
1990s: :ultrichter::ultbanjokazooie::ultkrool::ulthero4::ult_terry:
2000s: :ulthero2::ultdarksamus:
2010s: :ulthero::ultincineroar::ultminmin:ultjoker::ultchrom::ultinkling::ultbyleth::ultisabelle:
its seems we need more 2000s characters to balance it out
alright then time to add isaac ray mk III vaati midna neku travis phoenix quote raiden sora don-chan kiryu andy saki daroach beat vyse amaterasu dante viewtiful joe frank west lloyd amingo heavy i could go on and on and on and also, matt, yeah that's right, ****ing matt from wii sports

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Alternatively, Riddle Me This! What weighs six ounces, sits in a tree, and is very dangerous? The answer might not make sense now, but you'll be able to figure out what I'm referring to after the Direct airs.
So what you are saying is a sparrow with a machine gun is our next character and will be revealed in the direct?

I really need to rewatch the 1960s Batman movie. So cheesy, yet so good.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
2010s: :ulthero::ultincineroar::ultminmin:ultjoker::ultchrom::ultinkling::ultbyleth::ultisabelle:
Low-key love how each Hero itteration is in a completely distinct decade from the rest, whilst filling all the quadrants altogether

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
You know who could fix this?

Travis Touchdown...

Sora
SGT. CORTEZ! YEAH! IT'S TIME TO SPLIT!
Cortez Oh Yeah I'm Read.gif

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Speaking of 2000s era know what made that era popular so special? it was the birthplace of many MMO games.
we dont have someone to represent the MMO games.
i think the perfect choice would be a Club Penguin rep in this case to represent that era as it was one of the biggest of that time worldwide.
if people can ask Disney for Sora i ask Disney for Club Penguin.
Low-key love how each itteration if Hero are in completely seperate decades from each other
its perfectly balanced as all things should be.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
This means we need more 1970s characters in. Let's see...

Anyone up for a "Hunt the Wumpus" character? Or "Computer Space" rep? Maybe uh...

I got nothing. Note: Yes the games mentioned are real.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Deciding newcomers that we sitll need by looking at which decades don't have "representatives" yet is honestly a bit silly. At that point, you can just as well look at how Lucario is the only "DS character" and look at Inkling being the only "Wii U character", and then say we need more from those.
. . .But come to think of it, we do need more of those.

SKX31

Smash Master
This means we need more 1970s characters in. Let's see...

Anyone up for a "Hunt the Wumpus" character? Or "Computer Space" rep? Maybe uh...

I got nothing. Note: Yes the games mentioned are real.
Pong is surprisingly valid (yeah, we do have Discount Pong as an AT, but that's different!). Space Invaders works too (Yes, the dude who went on a 4 hour long Smash Speculation marathon counted that as a valid choice, so I'm counting it too.).

And if Nintendo really wanted to dug deep they could go for one of their light gun games like Laser Clay (who were popular until the 70s oil crisis sapped that and Nintendo turned their eyes elsewhere in order to avoid financial ruin: towards the rapidly developing video game sphere). Wild Gunman has origins in the 70s, and Duck Hunt could be seen as* having its origins there too. SEGA also has history in that field - with the light gun game Periscope (1966) being their first successful game.

*(Edit: 1976 Duck Hunt here. :ultduckhunt: could be considered the oldest character... kinda. :4pacman:)

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Nothing screams "I have nothing to offer but I'm an attention *****" like trying to make leaks a game.
hey guys! i know who'll be the next fighter!
he's from some m**** game
he's a puppet
he has a gun arm

man who could it be

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
I think I know who can fix the trend of barely any 2000s characters.
Zero (Z) Artwork (X DiVE).png

(I mean, we do need more Mega Man reps, and since Capcom is crossing over various Mega Man series for X DiVE, this might just work. And spirits deconfirm now, since Zero (Z) is a Spirit. As for a moveset, Nintendo can combine Zero's various techniques from both the X series and the Zero series.)

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think I know who can fix the trend of barely any 2000s characters.
View attachment 277510
(I mean, we do need more Mega Man reps, and since Capcom is crossing over various Mega Man series for X DiVE, this might just work. And spirits deconfirm now, since Zero (Z) is a Spirit. As for a moveset, Nintendo can combine Zero's various techniques from both the X series and the Zero series.)
He's the same Zero that debuted in Mega Man X. From 1993.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Ah ****, here we go again.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Hint: flip the image
Man, she must be desperate, if you ask me.
I'd post Principal Skinner saying "Pathetic" as a reply to that tweet, but textless media posts are against the rules.

Anyway, I finally got a good idea for a CGI Gordon Freeman trailer, maybe I will post the script later if I find it satisfying.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Thanks.

Now then, let’s talk about something else. What kind of existing character do you want to see featured in the reveal trailer for your most wanted?
Amaterasu: Pit, Palutena, and Bayonetta, are watching Amaterasu fight other existing fighters (being exceptionally brutal to the villians who've littered, and polluted the area). After the fight, the three of them introduce themselves to the new goddess as they prepare to fight.

Shantae: King K. Rool terrorizes Scuttle Town, and Daisy tries to defend the town by deflecting cannonballs, but there are soon too many for her to block until Shantae comes in to stop King K, and save the town.

Elma: Rex, tries to defend Gaur Plains with Shulk, from Metal Face but are failing horribly, then Elma comes to turn things around. Transcending space and time, the dream team of the Xenoblade universe is reunited, but Elma looks curiously at Rex... As if he doesn't look quite like himself.

Sakura Shinguji: It's an all out Sword Tournament, Link, all the Fire Emblem character, even Ganondorf are duking it out. Sakura excitedly wants join with cast who're rolling their eyes at another swordfighter. Everyone attacks Sakura, who uses her
Iaidō swordplay, and her Mugen mech to defeat them all.

Sora: Darkness plagues the land as Ganondorf, and Bowser makes their move to claim the Smash world as his own. Link, Marth, Lucina, Roy, Dark Pit, Pit, Palutena, Fox, Zero Suit Samus, Kirby, Bayonetta, and Joker fight to push back the Darkness, when a blinding light overwhelms the Darkness heralding the appearance of Sora.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Ignoring the fact that plenty of old Paper Mario fans also love Paper Mario 64 and a sizable chunk enjoy Super Paper Mario as well.

View attachment 277495

But hey go on with your strawman.
Not going to lie, the first image is pretty accurate because the Paper Mario fanbase is being whiny about The Origami King being similar to Sticker Star and Color Splash.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Ignoring the fact that plenty of old Paper Mario fans also love Paper Mario 64 and a sizable chunk enjoy Super Paper Mario as well.

View attachment 277511

But hey go on with your strawman.
I always liked Super Paper Mario, but I always looked at it through the lens of an experimental spinoff to promote the Wii controls, never as a "true" Paper Mario 3.
I'm hoping the new one's good, but I'm not holding my breath. At least the plot looks somewhat interesting.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Broke: Smash gets a Spirit Event for The Origami King
Woke: Smash gets a Spirit Event for another Paper Mario game...

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
So it looks like Ash's first Gen 8 catch was a Galarian Farfetch'd

This obviously means chad duck is getting into Smash. Sirfetch'd gang wins :p

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Speaking of 2000s era know what made that era popular so special? it was the birthplace of many MMO games.
we dont have someone to represent the MMO games.
i think the perfect choice would be a Club Penguin rep in this case to represent that era as it was one of the biggest of that time worldwide.
if people can ask Disney for Sora i ask Disney for Club Penguin.

its perfectly balanced as all things should be.
League of Legends fighter leak comes true and the entire fandom bursts into flames. Bonus points if it's another ARMS style guessing game, now with 148 characters and counting.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
For a Crash trailer :ultmario: and :ultsonic: are musts, but my dream trailer would involve a kart race between :ultmario:, :ultsonic:, :ultbanjokazooie:, and :ultdiddy:with Crash taking each racer out until he is revealed. Makes sense as Crash is also known for his racing games and it would be a way to highlight competition

Last edited:

kevinthedot

Smash Apprentice
League of Legends fighter leak comes true and the entire fandom bursts into flames. Bonus points if it's another ARMS style guessing game, now with 148 characters and counting.
A part of me wants this, but at the same time it sorta comes down to a select few no matter how hard you try to argue it. Like, no one is gonna be thinking Rek'sai has a chance.
The only ones that could reasonably get it would be one of the popular waifus (Ahri, Lux, Jinx, Vi), Ezreal or Yasuo.
If Yasuo gets it, then literally no one wins cause only the sickest people would actually want Yasuo.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Thanks.

Now then, let’s talk about something else. What kind of existing character do you want to see featured in the reveal trailer for your most wanted?
Zero (Z): Kirby, Mega Man, and Lucario are walking across the wreckage of Area Zero, until Kirby trips over a strange helmet. He gets up, and looks at it, while Mega Man and Lucario follow suit. Suddenly, a few footsteps walk towards the helmet, revealing a figure with long blond hair, wearing a red and black outfit and carrying a sword. The figure puts the helmet on, while saying "It's been a long time since I got to fight", revealing himself to be Zero.

(I used the Zero series Zero because if you've played Zero 3, Omega took Zero's body, and technically Zero series Zero is a different Zero since he's more of a hero than a deuteragonist.)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
A part of me wants this, but at the same time it sorta comes down to a select few no matter how hard you try to argue it. Like, no one is gonna be thinking Rek'sai has a chance.
The only ones that could reasonably get it would be one of the popular waifus (Ahri, Lux, Jinx, Vi), Ezreal or Yasuo.
If Yasuo gets it, then literally no one wins cause only the sickest people would actually want Yasuo.
Admittedly, I barely know anyone from there. Ahri's the one that seems to be the "face," but I could be wrong. Beyond her, I can at least name Ryze, Lux, Jinx, Ashe, Fiddlesticks, and Teemo, the latter of which is apparently the devil himself (Cannon fodder for Kirby, yay!). I also know the other fox woman, the not-Morgana, the big blob monster, and the JoJo guy. And that's about it.

And yeah, most speculation just centralizes after a little while. Just look at the Smash speculative scene; It feels like you're guaranteed to see at least one guy from the list of Dante, Doomguy, Master Chief, Steve?, Crash, Sora, and Geno, plus maybe Rex and a Gen 8 Pokemon for the obligatory Nintendo "shills." Back when we were trying to guess who the ARMS character was, it was either Spring Man or Min Min, plus occasionally Max Brass or Twintelle. If we do the LoL guessing game, it probably would end up focusing on about ten characters at best. Maybe a guessing game wouldn't be so good after all.
But hey, who cares? I've got popcorn, so it's all good.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
For a Crash trailer :ultmario: and :ultsonic: are musts, but my dream trailer would involve a kart race between :ultmario:, :ultsonic:, :ultbanjokazooie:, and :ultdiddy:with Crash taking each racer out until he is revealed. Makes sense as Crash is also known for his racing games and it would be a way to highlight competition
Realistically, :ultdoc: and :ultincineroar: seem more likely to be added to a hypothetical Crash Bandicoot. The former would reference Neo Cortex and the latter would reference Tiny Tiger while also being another character who can spin. Besides :ultmegaman:, there haven't been any third party characters who have appeared in another character's cinematic reveal trailer.

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Not going to lie, the first image is pretty accurate because the Paper Mario fanbase is being whiny about The Origami King being similar to Sticker Star and Color Splash.
Because Sticker Star and Color Splash central mechanics weren't fun for a lot of people that enjoy RPGs with turn-based combat.

kevinthedot

Smash Apprentice
Admittedly, I barely know anyone from there. Ahri's the one that seems to be the "face," but I could be wrong. Beyond her, I can at least name Ryze, Lux, Jinx, Ashe, Fiddlesticks, and Teemo, the latter of which is apparently the devil himself (Cannon fodder for Kirby, yay!). I also know the other fox woman, the not-Morgana, the big blob monster, and the JoJo guy. And that's about it.
I've been unable to stop playing the damn game since my first year of college back when it was just in it's second year. Ahri's popularity comes from her basically being a succubus for the longest time, though recently they retconned that lore to have her still eat the souls of men but she doesn't like it and tries to not do it anymore. Still, explains why she's so "popular" (also, she is pretty enjoyable to play. weird mage/assassin hybrid). She could work well as a smash rep if they kept to the new lore and toned down her sexual stuff.
Jinx was a big deal back when she first came out cause she was the first "not sexual" female which basically meant she was flat instead of hourglass. I still remember some people saying how they thought she was ugly back then but now she's one of the most popular female champs. She's a pretty straightforward ADC with various guns and explosives. Honestly would probably be boring as the smash rep.
Lux is probably the closest thing to a "face" for league right now. She gets a skin at least every year (sometimes more), has consistent play rate, and Riot even gave her a comic recently. She's purely a light mage which would make her a bit boring but certainly doable as a Smash representitive.
Teemo would be the meme pick. He's only really known as this evil devil due to past issues with him. Nowadays he doesn't get much play at all. His whole thing is about being a stealthy little scout but the reason people hated him was cause he was built to go top lane (the usually solo melee lane) and bully the **** out of people with his ranged attacks, poison and blinds. He is certainly iconic among League, but I doubt they'd make him their rep.
Ashe also used to be a big one for them. She and Ryze were some of the first options for the tutorial and they built a lot of marketing around them in the early years. But since then both have sorta fallen off the radar as far as popularity goes. Ashe still gets played and Ryze has had like 5 reworks since then but neither are super pushed.

The two men that have potential to be the picks would probably be Ezreal or Yasuo.
Ezreal is really popular and gets a load of skins and attention despite being kinda boring. He's an adc with a focus on spell casts to shoot basically magic missiles. He'd probably make for a pretty bad smash rep but he's certainly really popular.
Yasuo is the true devil nowadays. Has been since he came out. He's this basic wind samurai that gets a ton of skins and a TON of play. There are times he comes and goes, but in general he's like one of the most common picks in mid lane on average cause he's just super stacked. Despite being a melee in a usually ranged role, he's got ridiculous mobility and damage output and a high skill ceiling, so he gets a lot of attention from all levels of play. He's ridiculously annoying to play against. I could definitely see him being made into a smash fighter though given his kit and popularity.

I still think it's most likely gonna be one of the girls, but if it's a dude I just hope it's not Yasuo.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
I know about Veigar, Thresh, Brand, Sonic as an armadillo (not Mighty), and a few others.

SKX31

Smash Master
Still: LoL's fanbases on Reddit, Weibo and Inven.kr etc. would raise many of the same arguments as people did here with the ARMS guessing game. Those fanbases are large enough to get that guessing game trending on each respective site. And at least some casuals would join in on that. Because news of both the announcement and the guessing game would spread like wildfire. To add to that further: League's competitive channels would probably prompt casters to bring up the guessing game in at least one break between pro matches.

That would make the ARMS guessing game seem so much smaller if you ask me. Even if it only boils down to a few characters in the end.

Realistically, :ultdoc: and :ultincineroar: seem more likely to be added to a hypothetical Crash Bandicoot. The former would reference Neo Cortex and the latter would reference Tiny Tiger while also being another character who can spin. Besides :ultmegaman:, there haven't been any third party characters who have appeared in another character's cinematic reveal trailer.
Wouldn't mind Wily representing Cortex in some form, he's the closest character already there. And Capcom's evidently willing to use Mega Man (it was B-K's trailer, yes?), so Wily's not out of the question.

Other characters I could see include :ultfox: (if they wanna represent Pinstripe). maybe :ultmorton: or :ultiggy:to represent N.Brio? :ultkrool:'s the closest Dingodile stand-in, but they could use :ultcharizard: for that too I suppose. Coco would probably be represented by :ultisabelle:.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
What about Mummy, Medusa Head and Death in:ultsimon::ultrichter:'s trailer? Slime in :ulthero::ulthero3::ulthero4::ulthero2:'s trailer? Or Kyo, Ryo, Andy, Joe, Geese, Nakoruru and Iori in :ult_terry:'s trailer?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Smash community: "Hey, Riot appeared in the copyrights for Smash! We're getting a LoL character!"

The League community: :)

Sakurai Presents: "We're proud to bring Yasuo from League of Legends into the battle!"

The League community: https://youtu.be/4Js-XbNj6Tk?t=36

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom