• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Realistically, :ultdoc: and :ultincineroar: seem more likely to be added to a hypothetical Crash Bandicoot. The former would reference Neo Cortex and the latter would reference Tiny Tiger while also being another character who can spin. Besides :ultmegaman:, there haven't been any third party characters who have appeared in another character's cinematic reveal trailer.
I think those two would better serve for Spirit battles than a reveal trailer.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ignoring the fact that plenty of old Paper Mario fans also love Paper Mario 64 and a sizable chunk enjoy Super Paper Mario as well.

But hey go on with your strawman.
You didn't need to try and lecture me over a joke my brother. :222: It ain't that deep to be so heated over.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Hey guys, there are some people on the Geno thread that say there could still be an announcement for something like a Direct happening today. I mean, they say Nintendo's announcement pattern has been inconsistent, lately. Thing is, a general Direct has not yet been announced this year, and that Mini-Direct from earlier was dropped the same time around when a general Direct was normally announced. What do you all think?
Considering Jeff Grubb hasn't said anything about even a mini happening tomorrow, I seriously doubt we are getting one tomorrow. Even we somehow do, I don't even see a Smash reveal happening since Min Min's presentation was only 2 weeks ago, there is a good chance we will have to wait until late August or early September on that.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Considering Jeff Grubb hasn't said anything about even a mini happening tomorrow, I seriously doubt we are getting one tomorrow. Even we somehow do, I don't even see a Smash reveal happening since Min Min's presentation was only 2 weeks ago, there is a good chance we will have to wait until late August or early September on that.
Correction, it's getting an announcement for a Direct/Mini-Direct, not a Direct/Mini-Direct itself. He also didn't say anything about one happening later this month. I do believe that something is likely to not happen this week, but let's just see, first.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
What about Mummy, Medusa Head and Death in:ultsimon::ultrichter:'s trailer? Slime in :ulthero::ulthero3::ulthero4::ulthero2:'s trailer? Or Kyo, Ryo, Andy, Joe, Geese, Nakoruru and Iori in :ult_terry:'s trailer?
I think those two would better serve for Spirit battles than a reveal trailer.
Oh that's right. They don't use fighters to fill in for characters of the Newcomer's series. My bad but I think Incineroar would be included in Crash's trailer like maybe as a caged animal or something.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
We haven't even gotten two Mini Directs that focus on multiple games back to back, except for one case in July 2013 where Japan got a Mini on the 8th and the rest of the world on the 13th. Which clearly wouldn't be the same as getting one Mini in March and then another in July.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Reveal in July, release in late August or early September. That sounds reasonable to me.

SKX31

Smash Master
Reveal in July, release in late August or early September. That sounds reasonable to me.
Yea, that sounds like a decent time table even if it's only happened once so far. Terry's initial reveal came at the same Direct as B-K's presentation (and Sans' reveal) so it isn't out of the question that FP7 would be revealed so soon after Min Min (FP6) releasing.

Also, a correction to a topic I've (cautiously due to a lack of details and clarity) speculated about:

Leyou (who is potentially going to be bought by Sony) is not the main owner of SNK. Another company in the joint venture Leyou's a part of, 37 Games, is:

Still would mean that if Leyou's bought out by Sony, Sony gets (kinda) repped in Smash via the Warframe Spirit.

Reminding Sari because this does validate a part of his SNK essay (that 37 is the principal current owner of SNK) and 7NATOR because he brought up the question.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The two men that have potential to be the picks would probably be Ezreal or Yasuo.
Ezreal is really popular and gets a load of skins and attention despite being kinda boring. He's an adc with a focus on spell casts to shoot basically magic missiles. He'd probably make for a pretty bad smash rep but he's certainly really popular.
Yasuo is the true devil nowadays. Has been since he came out. He's this basic wind samurai that gets a ton of skins and a TON of play. There are times he comes and goes, but in general he's like one of the most common picks in mid lane on average cause he's just super stacked. Despite being a melee in a usually ranged role, he's got ridiculous mobility and damage output and a high skill ceiling, so he gets a lot of attention from all levels of play. He's ridiculously annoying to play against. I could definitely see him being made into a smash fighter though given his kit and popularity.

I still think it's most likely gonna be one of the girls, but if it's a dude I just hope it's not Yasuo.
*ahem*
MELTING MY IDENTITY

kevinthedot

Smash Apprentice
Going off the idea that they still intend to reach the final fighter by the date they said before, we'd need to get a new fighter on average every 3.6 months or so. So a release in September seems the most likely.

*ahem*
MELTING MY IDENTITY
Sam is 100 times better than Yasuo easily. Yasuo's personality is just your typical lone samurai type thing with a small bit of sass. Sam has a real personality.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Smash speculation in a nutshell:
Speculation.jpg

Nintendo could say "blah blah blah anyway buy me mcnuggies blah blah blah" and people would think it's somehow tied to Smash.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The 2000s were a super experimental decade in gaming, technology allowed for things that were never possible before but budgets hadn't yet ballooned to the heights of the last two console generations, so devs could get away with taking more risks as long as their cash cows kept providing. Add to that the rise of the casual and semi-casual game, and the creation of new input methods like touchscreens and motion control, and you have a huge variety in the games that came out in terms of genre, style, gameplay, and characters. As far as Smash goes, that's unfortunately a very untapped well, which is a shame especially given Ultimate's penchant for unique, gimmicky and different characters.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The 2000s were a super experimental decade in gaming, technology allowed for things that were never possible before but budgets hadn't yet ballooned to the heights of the last two console generations, so devs could get away with taking more risks as long as their cash cows kept providing. Add to that the rise of the casual and semi-casual game, and the creation of new input methods like touchscreens and motion control, and you have a huge variety in the games that came out in terms of genre, style, gameplay, and characters. As far as Smash goes, that's unfortunately a very untapped well, which is a shame especially given Ultimate's penchant for unique, gimmicky and different characters.
The DS has been quite the neglected platform as far as characters go.
Only Lucario can claim to represent it and he comes with a big asteriks or also technically debuting on the GBA thanks to Mystery Dungeon

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
I know he won't happen, but I'd be so down for Barry to join Smash as our mobile rep.
barry.png

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
It's particularly weird that even among Nintendo franchises, we only have three from that decade: Animal Crossing, Pikmin and Wii Fit (with the honorable mention of Xenoblade, which almost made the 2000's cut by a few months).

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Paper Mario 64 is the better game in the PM series. I played TTYD recently and the game has atrocious pacing. Chapter 4,5, and 6 has you constantly running back and forth and its not fun.

Chapter 4 is especially bad cause you have to run back and forth creepy chapel and twilight town 4 times and watch the same long paper effect cutscene play out everytime.

On the other hand though TTYD has more memorable partners and locations.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Not sure how this site is handling all the **** going off in the community right now, and I don't like being the bearer of ugly news, but this guy has featured prominently within Smash talks for a while, so it's relevant this is known going forward.

https://twitter.com/skrub_deku/status/1280252094826582017

**** Sabi.
Yup. Glad I and others left that piece of **** behind a long time ago.
I think the fact that he made some of my friends fired was the worst. But guess not. You can be worst than ruinning someone life.

Last edited by a moderator:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
It's particularly weird that even among Nintendo franchises, we only have three from that decade: Animal Crossing, Pikmin and Wii Fit (with the honorable mention of Xenoblade, which almost made the 2000's cut by a few months).
Well to be fair Nintendo didn't create that much franchise in the 2000's. Sure there's Golden sun, Rhythm heaven, Chibi robo and Style savvy that are sometimes brought here but objectively they are small franchises. And despite not having a lot of 2000's franchises the roster still have some 2000's characters (like Lucario, Greninja, Incineroar, Bowser jr., Ike, Byleth, Chrom, Lucina, Robin, Dark samus etc.)

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Not sure how this site is handling all the **** going off in the community right now, and I don't like being the bearer of ugly news, but this guy has featured prominently within Smash talks for a while, so it's relevant this is known going forward.

**** Sabi.
I think this belongs more in THE Social Thread than here.
On the actual post, Jeez Louise how hard is it for people to not be jerks to each other?! I know jerks is a soft term but if I posted what I actually wanna call them, they'd get bleeped out.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
And yet even with such a small sample, you can already see the variety we're dealing with. Pikmin is nearly unclassifiable in terms of genre, mixing elements of simulation, RTS, and dungeon crawler, while Animal Crossing also made its own path, and it and Wii Fit are very much aimed at a casual audience. Plus character design and style is also unorthodox, with short, big-nosed and bald spacemen, cartoony animal people speaking gibberish, and mannequin people.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think this belongs more in THE Social Thread than here.
On the actual post, Jeez Louise how hard is it for people to not be jerks to each other?! I know jerks is a soft term but if I posted what I actually wanna call them, they'd get bleeped out.
I posted it there too. I just want people to be aware, I don't mean to hijack conversation.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898

**** Sabi.
I literally can’t believe it
I trusted him and yet he did this
I was a fool to leave & delete my old account here & join the server he was in
& after hearing bout this I think it was best that I rejoin here instead of staying there where he was in most of the time

btw it’s me connorb0t2. I’m back:bee:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Well to be fair Nintendo didn't create that much franchise in the 2000's. Sure there's Golden sun, Rhythm heaven, Chibi robo and Style savvy that are sometimes brought here but objectively they are small franchises. And despite not having a lot of 2000's franchises the roster still have some 2000's characters (like Lucario, Greninja, Incineroar, Bowser jr., Ike, Byleth, Chrom, Lucina, Robin, Dark samus etc.)
Oh, I beg to differ. https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/updated-75-new-nintendo-ips-since-year-2000/

Sure, they may not be the biggest, but I don't think anyone can deny the charm and moveset potential some of these bring.

And sure, we got new Pokémon, Mario and FE characters from that decade... but it's a bit sad to see an entire decade of gaming represented by series that are actually older than that.

And yet even with such a small sample, you can already see the variety we're dealing with. Pikmin is nearly unclassifiable in terms of genre, mixing elements of simulation, RTS, and dungeon crawler, while Animal Crossing also made its own path, and it and Wii Fit are very much aimed at a casual audience. Plus character design and style is also unorthodox, with short, big-nosed and bald spacemen, cartoony animal people speaking gibberish, and mannequin people.
Since I'm not holding much hope that Nintendo will bring us more picks from that era, I hope at least a few third parties can do so. The only third party from the 2010s so far is Bayonetta.

Not saying this because there's two 2010s characters in particular inside my wishlist... not at all, sir!

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Oh, I beg to differ. https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/updated-75-new-nintendo-ips-since-year-2000/

Sure, they may not be the biggest, but I don't think anyone can deny the charm and moveset potential some of these bring.

And sure, we got new Pokémon, Mario and FE characters from that decade... but it's a bit sad to see an entire decade of gaming represented by series that are actually older than that.
alright i just wanna say why the hell is hamtaro listed as a nintendo ip

also denpa ningen is referring to the denpa men, right? because i have been wondering if that's a first-party ip since forever

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I literally can’t believe it
I trusted him and yet he did this
I was a fool to leave & delete my old account here & join the server he was in
& after hearing bout this I think it was best that I rejoin here instead of staying there where he was in most of the time

btw it’s me connorb0t2. I’m back:bee:
Well weclome back.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

also denpa ningen is referring to the denpa men, right? because i have been wondering if that's a first-party ip since forever
Miyamoto was producer for several hamataro games on GBA, although its not a nintendo IP though so yeah.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

There's a few... outliers in that list, yes.

I'm also pretty sure the rights for Baten Kaitos don't fully belong to Nintendo. But for the most part, the list is accurate, save for one or two more inconsistencies, I think.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Characters from the 2000's? Agreed, the decade has been very neglected, and it's unfortunate. Animal Crossing got another rep but she's from a 2013 game so she doesn't count. Louie would make a fantastic second rep for Pikmin (Pikmin 2 has almost no representation ingame, compared to 1 and 3) and there's plenty of content for him to pull from. I don't know where else they could go with Wii Fit.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

I think Hamtaro is a Nintendo property in the same way that MLB is a Sony property.

Last edited:

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Fall from grace.jpg

What a fall from grace. It feels like just yesterday people were interested in what he had to say. Oh well, just glad to see another jerk get ostracized from the community.

D

Deleted member

[twitter post]

**** Sabi.
So you mean to tell me 1 of the most infamous Smash leakers around gets his abusive behavior leaked and is now trying to cover it up through any means necessary?

Oh how the tables have turned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom