• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This is why Sony and Xbox dominate US market and media. IGN and other sites have primarily in the past only reported on these two consoles. The Switch is changing things but the addition of characters like Terry explain clearly the thinking on why Nintendo is always behind in the console wars.
The Console Wars don't exist. They're something made up by fans to justify which machine they purchased.

And adding Terry to Smash is in no way some major setback for Nintendo as a company like you're implying. That's ludicrous.

zferolie

Smash Hero
This is why Sony and Xbox dominate US market and media. IGN and other sites have primarily in the past only reported on these two consoles. The Switch is changing things but the addition of characters like Terry explain clearly the thinking on why Nintendo is always behind in the console wars.
Really? Where do you get these numbers, because nintendo has always done quite well for itself, save for the wii u.

And how does a character in smash mean anything for console wars? You truely are delusional.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Apart from the Wii? And the handheld market? And the NES and SNES era? And the fact that most western sites have robust Nintendo reporting sections?

If you're arguing that we should have more representation from games that sell well on Sony and Microsoft consoles like your Call of Duties and Madden and Grand Theft Autos than that's going to fall on deaf ears here.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And that's bad...how exactly?

People are allowed to like different things. To act like people having different tastes is the worst thing ever is an incredibly toxic form of gatekeeping.
The point wasn’t about liking or disliking different things. Of course they are.

The point was about the hypocrisy of the claims that SNK or Terry are “obscure” or “irrelevant” and thus don’t deserve to be in Smash, all the while having backed niche, obscure, or irrelevant characters and saying they deserve to be in because they’re Nintendo, and making a case in their favor despite those obstacles. I’m not gatekeeping, I’m arguing against it. I haven’t said Rex+Pyra, Waluigi, etc... shouldn’t be in Smash, even if I personally don’t like the inclusion. I find it funny people are quick to claim Terry is a “boring” addition, all the while double backing on wanting to add ANOTHER Fire Emblem character to the roster without a hint of irony.

lol coward
You didn’t deserve a warning for that, but I’ll answer you. It’s off-topic discussion, and I’ve had those talks in the past, only to learn that many people can’t handle them.

I voiced an opinion in thinking something is too political, only to have that opinion immediately challenged. Like just below that you had someone else immediately resorting to personal attacks and assumptions about me as if they know me intimately (they don’t). There’s absolutely no point in trying to contest that point, as it should be self-evident, and I don’t feel like arguing with people about. Especially when I’m already more than aware of how this site is run.

I have no interest in speaking politics with anyone here when I know a majority of the posters frequent ResetERA, and don’t have the maturity for a civil discourse on that topic, and will take anything I say as a personal attack or assertion of my character. Been there, done that, think I’ll pass.

Polan

Smash Lord
you know your argument's good when you gotta bring in console war bull****

Last edited:

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
Tldr; if you don’t like Terry, then just say you don’t like him. Even as someone that’s probably quickly made myself one of the loudest disappointed individuals here at his inclusion to Smash, the only point I’ve made this entire time is that I think he is an uninteresting and boring character design-wise and that there is a different character I think would be more interesting and would fix the issue of the current lack of female dlc characters, not all these radical silly claims about SNK being obscure(which it’s not) etc.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Why would they even go with an obscure fighting game character? If you were going the fighter game route, why not Mortal Kombat?

Yes I missed the SNES because I got the Sega Genesis instead but I remember people having both consoles. Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat dominated. I did not see any of these SNK titles. Perhaps they were big in China and Mexico. I can give you that but they definitely weren't big in the United States. Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter even got their own movies.

People are saying I am whining about the US market but literally none of the picks except maybe Banjo are cartered to US audience. Even compromise picks would have been great.
Y'all do realize that if it weren't for Terry/King of Fighters, Smash may not have even been a thing, right?

Supposedly, back in the day, Sakurai got a little too much into King of Fighters '95, started sweeping the floor with a couple noobs, and started to feel a bit bad

It's very likely that this sparked an idea in his head about making a fighting game for both casual and hardcore players, aka Smash

Link to article just to show ya I ain't fooling

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Tldr; if you don’t like Terry, then just say you don’t like him. Even as someone that’s probably quickly made myself one of the loudest disappointed individuals here at his inclusion to Smash, the only point I’ve made this entire time is that I think he is an uninteresting and boring character design-wise and that there is a different character I think would be more interesting and would fix the issue of the current lack of female dlc characters, not all these radical silly claims about SNK being obscure(which it’s not) etc.
I at least appreciate that you’re one of the few people honest about why you’re disappointed. You wanted a waifu, you didn’t get a waifu. I like cute anime girls as much as the next guy, and I think your priorities are silly, but I can at least appreciate the fact that you’re not trying to take some moral high ground on the issue. You didn’t get what you wanted and are disappointed, that’s fair.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I find it funny people are quick to claim Terry is a “boring” addition, all the while double backing on wanting to add ANOTHER Fire Emblem character to the roster without a hint of irony.
I can almost certainly guarantee that these aren't the same groups of people. I'd argue people who want another Fire Emblem character are among the least likely to throw another character under the bus for being "boring" or "undeserving." Mainly because it's been thrown in our own faces enough as it is, lol.

Though I would like to add that I think there's a difference between calling something boring and calling something bad. Apathy vs antipathy, and all that. Maybe it's just my own perspective, but even if an addition doesn't excite me I can still appreciate it based on other merits, making it different from a "bad" addition (and honestly I can honestly count what I'd consider "bad" additions on one hand and still have fingers left over, lol). I think Terry's neat, personally, but I think it's fine if people think he's not exciting so long as they're not jerks about it. It's just a matter of personal taste, after all.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I echo Himiko.

I know far too little about Terry, KoF, or Fatal Fury to call any of them insignificant/obscure. But in terms of character choice, Terry doesn’t really strike me as all that interesting. That and I lack familiarity with him and his series. Thus, I can’t really find any reason to be excited for his inclusion.

I would much rather have had someone I know/am familiar with.

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
The funny thing here is I keep seeing people say it’s ok to dislike or like a character, just don’t be a douche about it. This comes from both sides....yet you guys keep being douches about it lol.

Daeyrat

Smash Journeyman
From the comments:
Cptn Falcon: SHOW ME YA MOVES
Terry: O-KAY!

Pretty surreal how this video is from 2009, yet it accurately predicted what will become commonplace in Smash Bros in the near future. Someone needs to re-edit this with the faces of all the Smash characters to match the voices.
This is the reuploaded. The original is even older (2007)!
Yet, I've been rewatching it this week due to recent announcements. It hasn't lost its flavor. Quite the opposite. Better than ever now.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
I have no interest in speaking politics with anyone here when I know a majority of the posters frequent ResetERA, and don’t have the maturity for a civil discourse on that topic, and will take anything I say as a personal attack or assertion of my character. Been there, done that, think I’ll pass.
I'm intrigued what 'maturity for a civil discourse' means here. Especially when using ResetERA in the pejorative has an air of already deciding you disagree with what their argument may or may not be.

D

Deleted member

I can almost certainly guarantee that these aren't the same groups of people. I'd argue people who want another Fire Emblem character are among the least likely to throw another character under the bus for being "boring" or "undeserving." Mainly because it's been thrown in our own faces enough as it is, lol.
I guess. I mean, I personally don't really know. I wasn't making any statements about anyone in particular, rather the Smash community as a whole. That's why I made the disclaimer when I threw Geno fans under the bus. I'm not keeping tabs on what specific characters certain people who say certain things want. I'm just pointing out the general hypocricy in the reaction to Terry as a whole in hope that at least some people will have a little chuckle at themselves over how silly the whole thing really is.

People take this roster stuff wayy too seriously, and it's reached a fever pitch. I mean, forget 4chan, where whining fools are getting trolled by SNK fans on /v/, take a gander at the temper tantrums people are throwing on Twitter or GameFAQs.

That's really all it is. The specific characters I chose (barring Geno, he was just most exemplary), I chose simply cause I personally don't like any of those additions, and they were easy targets. I'm sure there are people who genuinely want those characters who are crying about Terry, but overall, idk who the Terry-whiners truly wanted, I've asked the question multiple times already "I challenge you to name someone who you think is more iconic than Terry" and haven't gotten an answer. At the end of the FF/KoF and SNK are to fighting games, what DQ and Enix are to JRPGs.

Though I would like to add that I think there's a difference between calling something boring and calling something bad. Apathy vs antipathy, and all that. Maybe it's just my own perspective, but even if an addition doesn't excite me I can still appreciate it based on other merits, making it different from a "bad" addition (and honestly I can honestly count what I'd consider "bad" additions on one hand and still have fingers left over, lol). I think Terry's neat, personally, but I think it's fine if people think he's not exciting so long as they're not jerks about it. It's just a matter of personal taste, after all.
My argument however is that people who think the addition is "bad" should learn to have a more open mind, as they might actually enjoy it more if it weren't for their entitlement. There were tons of additions I did care for at all in Smash 4, yet I learned to appreciate all of them for the mechanical elements they brought to the table. At the very least, the people crying about Terry have a chance to learn about a company they weren't familiar with, something I didn't get with any of the Smash 4 newcomers, as I'd already played all their games.

I'm intrigued what 'maturity for a civil discourse' means here. Especially when using ResetERA in the pejorative has an air of already deciding you disagree with what their argument may or may not be.
I'm not touching the topic man, sorry. Wanna hear more about it, DM me about it, idk.

Ask yourself if you're genuinely curious about my opinions and wanna hear my stance of things, or if you want to challenge my PoV because you disagree with it and that bothers you. Knowing that beforehand should make it easy to determine if it's even worth your time to even message me.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It’s been kind of surprising to see how many people hadn’t heard of Terry or SNK at all during this whole ordeal, with some people calling them both “obscure.” While Terry wasn’t on most people’s radar for Smash, the people calling him a literal who are kind of showing the Smash community’s collective tunnel vision.
Relative to most of the other 3rd party franchises that are in the game, I think it's fair to call King of Fighters obscure (Fatal Fury even more so), or maybe niche if you prefer that. I don't think that's because of any tunnel vision from the community, in fact Smash fans are probably more likely to know the series due to some overlap with the FGC, where as your average gamer will have no idea what it is. And that's fine really, people just need to accept that not every 3rd party character that is included needs to be some legendary icon of gaming as a whole, now that we're creeping up on 80 characters in total I see no reason not to widen the horizon.

I wasn't here during the Sm4sh days so my bad. I probably didn't hear the whole story regarding it.
Palutena alone wasn't considered Kid Icarus bias, she was highly expected, had a lot of fans, and almost everyone were in agreement that she deserved to be in. There was a very convincing fake leak with her that most people believed, and the overall reaction was just something to the effect of "Ok, cool", it was honestly a pretty boring fake leak because everyone considered her an inevitability regardless of whether it was real or not. The complaints mostly just stemmed from Dark Pit's inclusion, which coincided with the reveal of the full roster, which meant he was an easy target for disgruntled Mewtwo, Ridley and K. Rool fans, who would also bring up the high amount of items and Smash Run enemies that were present from the series.

Similarly the Fire Emblem bias claims didn't come from just Robin, everyone knew we'd get an Awakening character, but a lot of people considered Lucina to be too much, then it really gained traction with Roy (who was in a weird spot as he was from an "overrepresented" franchise, but still in demand due to being a veteran), and then finally Corrin made everyone lose their ****.

That's the story as far as I recall it, the timing of the more controversial reveals really didn't help as they coincided with the realizations that other popular characters weren't in. I don't think you hear much, if anything about the Kid Icarus bias anymore, but the Fire Emblem criticism is more of a general thing, I'd consider that less of an 'angry fans' thing and more of a '+4 characters in one game is crazy' thing.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
I'm not touching the topic man, sorry. Wanna hear more about it, DM me about it, idk.

Ask yourself if you're genuinely curious about my opinions and wanna hear my stance of things, or if you want to challenge my PoV because you disagree with it and that bothers you. Knowing that beforehand should make it easy to determine if it's even worth your time to even message me.
Oh dont worry I know exactly what both our arguments would be, and that we wouldn't convince each other of anything.

I'm more sad that if we did have that discussion it would be framed as political when it really shouldn't be in 2019. (Beyond my 'all art is political' statement earlier)

Feel free to return to the good task of schooling people on SNK.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
The point wasn’t about liking or disliking different things. Of course they are.

The point was about the hypocrisy of the claims that SNK or Terry are “obscure” or “irrelevant” and thus don’t deserve to be in Smash, all the while having backed niche, obscure, or irrelevant characters and saying they deserve to be in because they’re Nintendo, and making a case in their favor despite those obstacles. I’m not gatekeeping, I’m arguing against it. I haven’t said Rex+Pyra, Waluigi, etc... shouldn’t be in Smash, even if I personally don’t like the inclusion. I find it funny people are quick to claim Terry is a “boring” addition, all the while double backing on wanting to add ANOTHER Fire Emblem character to the roster without a hint of irony.

You didn’t deserve a warning for that, but I’ll answer you. It’s off-topic discussion, and I’ve had those talks in the past, only to learn that many people can’t handle them.

I voiced an opinion in thinking something is too political, only to have that opinion immediately challenged. Like just below that you had someone else immediately resorting to personal attacks and assumptions about me as if they know me intimately (they don’t). There’s absolutely no point in trying to contest that point, as it should be self-evident, and I don’t feel like arguing with people about. Especially when I’m already more than aware of how this site is run.

you can't possibly be implying that all people who think terry would be boring also want FE characters...

D

Deleted member

you can't possibly be implying that all people who think terry would be boring also want FE characters...
No. Never in my post did I say "all" nor did I say anything along those lines.

But please, if you wanna make it a personal statment, are you disappointed by Terry? Are you arguing that Terry/SNK are irrelevant/obscure or whatnot? If so, who did YOU want?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Not to impose my own ideas, but I already said why this can't be the case:

On top of that, with leakers backing Terry up, the idea of this being just a screw-up from the web manager is almost impossible.
The only problem is the use of the text "All Rights Reserved", which Smash ignores all the time for copyrights, even if the original game uses them. Also, no credible leakers have backed Terry or any SNK characters up.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I know the salt levels may still be high, but after all of this, I'm prompted to ask:

To the people here who dislike all characters currently in the Pass: what would be a good way to close it for you?

And no, I'm not trying to start ****, I'm genuinely curious. Because depending on the answers, the characters you call may be ones to keep an eye on, because their demographics may not have been "appealed to" yet, and Nintendo is spreading the hype pretty evenly this time around, so...

Nquoid

Smash Ace
The only problem is the use of the text "All Rights Reserved", which Smash ignores all the time for copyrights, even if the original game uses them. Also, no credible leakers have backed Terry or any SNK characters up.
Would verge or sabi still have no credibility in your eyes if they did end up being correct?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Would verge or sabi still have no credibility in your eyes if they did end up being correct?
Neither have backed up any SNK character. All Verge has done lately was debunk the "female character with a mecha" rumor. And, Sabi's been backpedaling lately.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Neither have backed up any SNK character. All Verge has done lately was debunk the "female character with a mecha" rumor. And, Sabi's been backpedaling lately.
Both have come out publically to say Terry in the last few days. If that changes your mind

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm expecting the 5th fighter to exclusively appeal to the East. I believe that this Fighter Pass was designed with Eastern fans in mind.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I know the salt levels may still be high, but after all of this, I'm prompted to ask:

To the people here who dislike all characters currently in the Pass: what would be a good way to close it for you?

And no, I'm not trying to start ****, I'm genuinely curious. Because depending on the answers, the characters you call may be ones to keep an eye on, because their demographics may not have been "appealed to" yet, and Nintendo is spreading the hype pretty evenly this time around, so...
The vest way to close it out would be with Phoenix Wright. Using the last spot for a meta joke on how Phoenix never give up and turns the tables at the last second is perfect.

The fact that you don't want to talk about it to me shows how mature you actually are and I respect that. You hardly see people like this anymore.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
So will we have any idea on #5? If the trailer matches the one Ryu/Terry leak then that's something, but if not do we only have that Shifty guy to go off of who couldn't even get "Ryu's number 4" right?

Last edited:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
No. Never in my post did I say "all" nor did I say anything along those lines.

But please, if you wanna make it a personal statment, are you disappointed by Terry? Are you arguing that Terry/SNK are irrelevant/obscure or whatnot? If so, who did YOU want?
It seems like the only one here who is taking it personally is you, but I'll indulge. I think Terry is rather boring and would much rather a Metal Slug character get into smash, as it brings a boatload of new things to smash, such as another gunner archetype, new playstyle, and the ability to actually use a tank on the battlefield. Terry just seems to be a basic physical fist fighter that already has a moveset prepackaged, meaning there isn't much room in the way of creativity. A character that is just a basic fistfighter with next to no abilities that the average person couldn't perform. That doesn't make for an interesting smash fighter, and looks even worse when compared to the craziness that would be a Metal Slug fighter.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I want to say if people think i am attacking peiple for just disliking a pick im sorry. I am only just disliking how some people try to justify how ita very poor choices with crazy reasons, like snk being obscure or console wars or things like that.

If you are said you didmt get a girl, i totally agree. I really want another female added myself. I want one not just for waifu reasons but i generally.just enjoy playing as girls more, and i find a bunch of the ones i want very interesting.

So while terry is not who i want, i can respect the choice of him. I still hope this is secretly a lokemon trainer style charcter because that would be super unique and tep snk as a whole maybe. And i can see sakurai doing this because sakurai is insane and doesnt care about his own health.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
So will we have any idea on #5? If the trailer matches the one Ryu/Terry leak then that's something, but if not do we only have that Shifty guy to go off of who couldn't even get "Ryu's number 4" right?
I'm expecting it to be another character who has massive popularity in the East who is almost unrecognizable in the West.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
The vest way to close it out would be with Phoenix Wright. Using the last spot for a meta joke on how Phoenix never give up and turns the tables at the last second is perfect.
I legitimately think the Capcom crew (Phoenix, Jill, Leon, etc) are the strongest candidates for the last spot. Nearly all of them are from currently unrepresented genres or subgenres and their potential moves practically scream "crossover fighting game". And considering Capcom is relatively easy to work with (they have the largest amount of content in Ultimate), it sounds like they would be both a hype and "safe" way to end the Fighters Pass.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I want the last one to be a Capcom character, especially Phoenix Wright. I'm a simple man.

Of course, I'm up for being surprised, so I keep my options open, especially considering I might get one of my most-wanted soon and the pass opened with one as well.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Tbf they should try to cater to every audience they have since Japan isn't the bulk of their sales. Not even American but I can see why catering to America isn't an awful idea with the amount of customers that obsess over Smash there.
I’m glad Sakurai is finally listening to the rest of the world, not just Japan.

If Sakurai only catered to Japanese fans, then maybe Little Mac, Duck Hunt, Bayonetta, Ridley, King K. Rool, Simon Belmont, Banjo & Kazooie, and Terry Bogard (assuming this rumor is true) probably wouldn’t have gotten in Smash in the first place.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The fact that you don't want to talk about it to me shows how mature you actually are and I respect that. You hardly see people like this anymore.
I mean, as mature as a person can be for arguing about video games on the internet. Lol.

It seems like the only one here who is taking it personally is you, but I'll indulge. I think Terry is rather boring and would much rather a Metal Slug character get into smash, as it brings a boatload of new things to smash, such as another gunner archetype, new playstyle, and the ability to actually use a tank on the battlefield. Terry just seems to be a basic physical fist fighter that already has a moveset prepackaged, meaning there isn't much room in the way of creativity. A character that is just a basic fistfighter with next to no abilities that the average person couldn't perform. That doesn't make for an interesting smash fighter, and looks even worse when compared to the craziness that would be a Metal Slug fighter.
Yeah, that’s not what I mean though. C’mon man. Who did you want BEFORE the SNK leak happened that didn’t get in. I mean, I preferred Mai, but I’m happy any SNK character got in. Terry’s the most obvious “Sakurai” choice and the safest pick, but you’d see me defending Marco the way I do Terry all the same. I love Metal Slug.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'm still holding out hope the last fighter is Shantae. If nintendo is going to pick any indie rep she is the biggest and longest running that is still getting games out

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
If it's a Nintendo character they're saving for last because it's the least hype but also another new Nintendo franchise, I'd want Rhythm Paradise. Maybe if Terry is truly a humbler, less hype pick, the common pattern of Smash front-loading the most interesting reveals will hold true with an even humbler, more niche pick as they wanted at least one Nintendo guy in there.

Or Crash to Western-balance a different fighter again like Banjo did with Hero.

But do we have anything telling us what #5 is already other than that Terry/Ryu leak and that guy so sure Ryu was going to be Fighter #4 or whatever?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If it's a Nintendo character they're saving for last because it's the least hype but also another new Nintendo franchise, I'd want Rhythm Paradise. Maybe if Terry is truly a humbler, less hype pick, the common pattern of Smash front-loading the most interesting reveals will hold true with an even humbler, more niche pick as they wanted at least one Nintendo guy in there.

Or Crash to Western-balance a different fighter again like Banjo did with Hero.

But do we have anything telling us what #5 is already other than that Terry/Ryu leak and that guy so sure Ryu was going to be Fighter #4 or whatever?
I don't think that they are doing another Western-balancing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom