• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
today will be the day companion theory and rainbow theory and probably twelve other dumb theories die

StormC

Smash Hero
today will be the day companion theory and rainbow theory and probably twelve other dumb theories die

Terry's down B summons other SNK fighters as assists. They appear on the mural.

Now what?

D

Deleted member

If you really think Microsoft will lose the oportunity to put Minecraft content in smash with Banjo's release, think again.
What can I say? I’m a gambling man.

I legit haven’t even heard of any of those, lol. Methinks you’ve been spending too much time on here.

Personally I just hope the Hayabusa leak winds up being true, not just cause it’d be cool to have Ninja Gaiden in Smash, but so we can FINALLY put a rest to all this nonsense.

EDIT: Also, it’s tomorrow for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

cothero

Smash Lord
What can I say? I’m a gambling man.

I legit haven’t even heard of any of those, lol. Methinks you’ve been spending too much time on here.

Personally I just hope the Hayabusa leak winds up being true, not just cause it’d be cool to have Ninja Gaiden in Smash, but so we can FINALLY put a rest to all this nonsense.
Ryu Hayabusa's just a photoshopped Little Mac.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Hayabusa would kick the pass into a 3/5 for me from "great" to "fantastic," even if he isn't near the top of my list, I'd be pretty stoked.

Most of the other characters I'd like more seem unlikely now, so sure, Make Mine Hayabusa.

EDIT: Also validation because I remember way back after Smash 4, I made a Smash 5 roster, and put him in as Smash 5 DLC.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I assume on 4chan they swap out the hopeless theorycrafting for profane criticism. I'll stay over here for now thanks.

D

Deleted member

Hayabusa would kick the pass into a 3/5 for me from "great" to "fantastic," even if he isn't near the top of my list, I'd be pretty stoked.

Most of the other characters I'd like more seem unlikely now, so sure, Make Mine Hayabusa.

EDIT: Also validation because I remember way back after Smash 4, I made a Smash 5 roster, and put him in as Smash 5 DLC.
Doomguy and Hayabusa are two characters that never even entered the realm of being possible until recently, but once they did, both felt like “yeah, that’d be dope.”

Funny thing about Doomguy in fact, way back when I did that one shot for a Shounen Jump contest (last year?), one of the characters I designed for that fighting game heavily inspired by Doomguy out of a “what if/this would be cool but would never happen” kinda thing.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'm kinda glad that Terry got leaked. I'd be pissed if I found it out live. At least now I've had time to accept it.

D

Deleted member

I assume on 4chan they swap out the hopeless theorycrafting for profane criticism. I'll stay over here for now thanks.
Nah, it’s more of the same actually, I just tend to drown like 90% of it out. It is more “profane” to put it lightly though, yeah. I’m sure a lot of people crosspost, they just let loose and vent over there cause they can’t really speak their minds here, which actually makes it even more obnoxious over there than here, as you’re dealing with constant spam... to put it... politely.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I just have to say one that consistently irks me about the Smash community is how little they actually know about games outside of Nintendo releases.

If Nintendo-published games are the ONLY thing you know about games, you've narrowed your gaming worldview to a tiny sliver and I truly feel bad for you. You don't need Smash to introduce you to franchises you haven't known. Get out there and play more games.
Conversely, the Smash fandom can find the most obscure and/or minor characters from any franchise and provide the most convincing reasons for their inclusion and an elaborate moveset with detailed fanart. We do know about games overall, but the knowledge tends to be compartmentalized. Like, if I knew absolutely nothing about videogames and I read things that a lot of Smash fans say, I'd leave here believing Geno, Isaac, Dixie, and even Banjo were more important in the grand scheme of things than they actually are lol.

I was genuinely surprised at the amount of comments I came across in online Smash circles that didn't know what SNK was. Even worse, the amount of "SNK doesn't deserve a rep, but <insert character that had 1 obscure game decades ago that isn't even the protagonist>" type comments. Tekken, DoA, FExL, and Soul Calibur fans celebrate their SNK reps, and there are people in the Smash community who complain for various reasons (I hope one day we can be satisfied!). Objectively speaking, this season pass is simply unbelievable. Not a single character in my wishlist is on it, but I know it's excellent and why. Moreover, so much care went into these characters, holy cow.

I'm a fighting game enthusiast (and consider Smash a fighting game and party game, as controversial as that stance is), so I'm just... surprised. I mean, I shouldn't be. Smash appeals to a large demographic. That includes younger folk; they have to start somewhere. A lot of which will eventually play more games; I know I did lol. But there's nothing wrong with sticking with Nintendo releases; they have a certain charm to them and a lot of their stuff is casual. Like... nice, affordable, quick and easy to play with friends and family in short bursts. Some of the best single player games, too.

Regardless, the exposure Smash provides is a good thing; it peaks interest in stuff people would otherwise overlook.

Super tangent. Slight rant. I do apologize if that sounded condescending or something. Carry on.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hahahahaha.

So it all boils down to this.

Direct is tomorrow. Judgement Day.

My closing thoughts before the direct:
- My chance of Terry getting is 80% Being that all is still unconfirmed and that I take Verge's leak with dashes of sodium chloride, this still guarantees an SNK character...
- or characters. I'm rooting on the belief that we will get 3 characters in one slot, a la Pokemon Trainer.
- If that does not happen, it's still okay, because at the very end, a company that has made an impact in Fighting Game History and indirectly helped create the Smash Bros franchise is finally being represented in the grandest gaming crossover in history.

With that being said, *blows trumpet*, I'm gonna go hype and celebrate as much as possible because I wouldn't be with you guys to watch it at the same time. I do hope everyone, even if we don't get what we want, is humble and grateful. We may get disappointed, but it's just part of the experience , and life in general.

Without further adieu, I would like to proclaim SNK's famous tagline as it makes its way to Smash Bros.

"THE FUTURE IS NOW!"

D

Deleted member

Conversely, the Smash fandom can find the most obscure and/or minor characters from any franchise and provide the most convincing reasons for their inclusion and an elaborate moveset with detailed fanart. We do know about games overall, but the knowledge tends to be compartmentalized. Like, if I knew absolutely nothing about videogames and I read things that a lot of Smash fans say, I'd leave here believing Geno, Isaac, Dixie, and even Banjo were more important in the grand scheme of things than they actually are lol.

I was genuinely surprised at the amount of comments I came across in online Smash circles that didn't know what SNK was. Even worse, the amount of "SNK doesn't deserve a rep, but <insert character that had 1 obscure game decades ago that isn't even the protagonist>" type comments. Tekken, DoA, FExL, and Soul Calibur fans celebrate their SNK reps, and there are people in the Smash community who complain for various reasons (I hope one day we can be satisfied!). Objectively speaking, this season pass is simply unbelievable. Not a single character in my wishlist is on it, but I know it's excellent and why. Moreover, so much care went into these characters, holy cow.

I'm a fighting game enthusiast (and consider Smash a fighting game and party game, as controversial as that stance is), so I'm just... surprised. I mean, I shouldn't be. Smash appeals to a large demographic. That includes younger folk; they have to start somewhere. A lot of which will eventually play more games; I know I did lol. But there's nothing wrong with sticking with Nintendo releases; they have a certain charm to them and a lot of their stuff is casual. Like... nice, affordable, quick and easy to play with friends and family in short bursts.

Regardless, the exposure Smash provides is a good thing; it peaks interest in stuff people would otherwise overlook.

Super tangent. Slight rant. I do apologize if that sounded condescending or something. Carry on.
Haha, I do wanna add to this with a little hyperbole I think exemplifies the hypocrisy of the whole deal perfectly:

“SNK?! Terry? Who the **** is that? Ken with a hat from a no-name company doesn’t deserve to be in Smash. Where’s GENO???”

I do wanna say, no ill will to Geno fans specifically. I actually do think he’d make a fine addition to the roster. But I mean, you can swap him out with literally any obscure 3rd or 1st party character that got a lot of support on here, and it just shows the glaring lack of self-awareness of the statements many of these people are making. I mean, you’d think people would be more pleasantly surprised to learn of a new franchise they weren’t all too familiar with in the first place. I’ve never had a problem with character picks that revived or paid homage to historic or obscure franchises, I love learning about new games with dedicated fandoms. What I DO dislike is blatant shill picks from overly popular franchises everyone already knows about. Like the mandatory Pokemon or FE characters. And worst yet, you have many people gathering around the idea of Blyeth or Edelgard for Smash because what we TRULY need is another FE character you gotta pay to play. Or that many of the people complaining Terry is in, were also upset Waluigi or Rex + Pyra never got in.

I get that you’re upset, but... obscure? Really??

ZelDan

Smash Master

Eh, the color theory or rainbow theory or whatever I don't think was that dumb. none of the base characters had any colors associated with them on the character home page on the Ultimate website, and yet the DLC characters, for some reason unbeknownst to me, did each get a color, and each color they did get ended up being different from eachother to boot. I did find this all somewhat suspect. While I don't think they'd choose characters based on a rainbow pattern, because that'd be dumb, it could be a pattern they noticed after the DLC characters were chosen and decided to roll with it since it would look nice on the homepage.

Granted, I don't see how either orange or blue would fit Terry, unless his flames are more orange-ish in color (gonna guess no on this cause that's sounding stretchy to me)? If the color theory dies during the next direct then that's that.

EDIT: Well, Terry does wear blue jeans. I guess if they want to make banjo's color be about his pants, then I guess they could do it with Terry? Still sounds silly but whatever, not like we have long to find out what happens anyways.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

From the comments:
Cptn Falcon: SHOW ME YA MOVES
Terry: O-KAY!

Pretty surreal how this video is from 2009, yet it accurately predicted what will become commonplace in Smash Bros in the near future. Someone needs to re-edit this with the faces of all the Smash characters to match the voices.

Last edited by a moderator:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Who would you deem as expected?
"In other news, Crash is the new character.
We decided to add him for many reasons, but one of the most important
was because he was a unique, orange color.
No fighters so far are orange. So Crash is different.
Please understand."

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
It’s been kind of surprising to see how many people hadn’t heard of Terry or SNK at all during this whole ordeal, with some people calling them both “obscure.” While Terry wasn’t on most people’s radar for Smash, the people calling him a literal who are kind of showing the Smash community’s collective tunnel vision.

D

Deleted member

From the comments:
Cptn Falcon: SHOW ME YA MOVES
Terry: O-KAY!

Pretty surreal how this video is from 2009, yet it accurately predicted what will become commonplace in Smash Bros in the near future. Someone needs to re-edit this with the faces of all the Smash characters to match the voices.
Calling it now this is going to be Smash Quickplay during his release

volbound1700

Smash Master
Why would they even go with an obscure fighting game character? If you were going the fighter game route, why not Mortal Kombat?

Yes I missed the SNES because I got the Sega Genesis instead but I remember people having both consoles. Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat dominated. I did not see any of these SNK titles. Perhaps they were big in China and Mexico. I can give you that but they definitely weren't big in the United States. Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter even got their own movies.

People are saying I am whining about the US market but literally none of the picks except maybe Banjo are cartered to US audience. Even compromise picks would have been great.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It’s been kind of surprising to see how many people hadn’t heard of Terry or SNK at all during this whole ordeal, with some people calling them both “obscure.” While Terry wasn’t on most people’s radar for Smash, the people calling him a literal who are kind of showing the Smash community’s collective tunnel vision.
To be fair though he is incredibly obscure...in the U.S. and all most people see of other countries are documentaries and all the crap the news has to say about them so gaming is probably not something they're up to date with.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Why would they even go with an obscure fighting game character? If you were going the fighter game route, why not Mortal Kombat?

Yes I missed the SNES because I got the Sega Genesis instead but I remember people having both consoles. Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat dominated. I did not see any of these SNK titles. Perhaps they were big in China and Mexico. I can give you that but they definitely weren't big in the United States. Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter even got their own movies.

People are saying I am whining about the US market but literally none of the picks except maybe Banjo are cartered to US audience. Even compromise picks would have been great.
Well, considering the game is developed in Japan, I don’t see why they’d have to prioritize the American audience.

For the record, SNK is popular in Japan as well. So it hardly fits your mold of “obscure.”

zferolie

Smash Hero

A fighting game with 15 games in its series, not counting spin offs, the fatle fury games before it, and all the crossovers, is an Obscure game?

Listen kid, you really need to grow up and stop being so angry about this.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Maybe this is what Sakurai is trying to do.

Joker for people who don’t own Nintendo consoles.

Hero for Japanese fans.

Banjo & Kazooie for American fans.

Terry for Latin American fans.

Hmm... if that’s the case then who would European fans get?
Except one fatal flaw.

What about an rep for Oceania, African (Egypt and South Africa for example) and other Asian fans. ;P

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Well, considering the game is developed in Japan, I don’t see why they’d have to prioritize the American audience.

For the record, SNK is popular in Japan as well. So it hardly fits your mold of “obscure.”
Tbf they should try to cater to every audience they have since Japan isn't the bulk of their sales. Not even American but I can see why catering to America isn't an awful idea with the amount of customers that obsess over Smash there.

In the same vein though, I hear Terry is big in China which is an audience everyone wants to crack, and South America. I personally don't have much SNK experience but he makes sense if they're either catering to those audiences or focusing on third parties to build stronger connections with other companies thus securing future support.

Tbh that latter part is something I've not considered before now but the Wii U died a horrible death in part due to a lack of third party support...if I was Nintendo I'd want to garner more support to avoid that happening again...

D

Deleted member

Tbf they should try to cater to every audience they have since Japan isn't the bulk of their sales. Not even American but I can see why catering to America isn't an awful idea with the amount of customers that obsess over Smash there.

In the same vein though, I hear Terry is big in China which is an audience everyone wants to crack, and South America. I personally don't have much SNK experience but he makes sense if they're either catering to those audiences or focusing on third parties to build stronger connections with other companies thus securing future support.

Tbh that latter part is something I've not considered before now but the Wii U died a horrible death in part due to a lack of third party support...if I was Nintendo I'd want to garner more support to avoid that happening again...
Tbf, I’d rather Japanese devs continue to cater primarily to Japanese audiences. Less political. Plus, the appealing quirkinesses of Japanese games has always come as a result of them being home grown.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Lmao I've taken a quick look at some people's reactions to Terry here and I'm reminded of when I was a ****ty person saying the same **** about Ryu
How it it political?
Spirit doesn't know what 'political' means as he made a political comic about how good Trump is and got very upset when people pointed out that it was political

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
We're not too many people happy about her especially the whole "Rosalina got in over Daisy!" craze?

Also I recall people weren't too keen on Palutena given the whole "Too much overrepresentation of Kid Icarus" yet they ignore how much attention Fire Emblem gets.

From what I've seen some of the picks had been even Base controversial.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
We're not too many people happy about her especially the whole "Rosalina got in over Daisy!" craze?

Also I recall people weren't too keen on Palutena given the whole "Too much overrepresentation of Kid Icarus" yet they ignore how much attention Fire Emblem gets.

From what I've seen some of the picks had been even Base controversial.
My dude literally everyone who had a problem with Kid Icarus representation pointed fingers at Fire Emblem long beforehand

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
My dude literally everyone who had a problem with Kid Icarus representation pointed fingers at Fire Emblem long beforehand
I wasn't here during the Sm4sh days so my bad. I probably didn't hear the whole story regarding it.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Long story short, people will complain about anyone added to smash, because a bunch of the fans are over entitled people.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And worst yet, you have many people gathering around the idea of Blyeth or Edelgard for Smash because what we TRULY need is another FE character you gotta pay to play. Or that many of the people complaining Terry is in, were also upset Waluigi or Rex + Pyra never got in.
And that's bad...how exactly?

People are allowed to like different things. To act like people having different tastes is the worst thing ever is an incredibly toxic form of gatekeeping.

volbound1700

Smash Master
This is why Sony and Xbox dominate US market and media. IGN and other sites have primarily in the past only reported on these two consoles. The Switch is changing things but the addition of characters like Terry explain clearly the thinking on why Nintendo is always behind in the console wars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom