• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Honestly, I hope discussions gets a lot more civil once we actually confirm Fighter #4. I don't remember Dragon Quest getting as much criticism for being "niche" after it was revealed, but then again, Banjo counterbalanced that reveal shortly afterwards.

Whether or not SNK is famous enough to "deserve" being in Smash, it'll still be irrefutable that Sakurai himself thought that they deserved it. Heck, SNK will even have the double-dip validation that Nintendo wanted them in Smash, a company that they aren't as close with as other heavy-hitting developers. I mean, food for thought.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I hope discussions gets a lot more civil once we actually confirm Fighter #4. I don't remember Dragon Quest getting as much criticism for being "niche" after it was revealed, but then again, Banjo counterbalanced that reveal shortly afterwards.

Whether or not SNK is famous enough to "deserve" being in Smash, it'll still be irrefutable that Sakurai himself thought that they deserved it. Heck, SNK will even have the double-dip validation that Nintendo wanted them in Smash, a company that they aren't as close with as other heavy-hitting developers. I mean, food for thought.
Honestly, if Nintendo really did pick the DLC characters, Kudos to them, they knocked it out of the park. It's almost like they went in with the intent of getting some of the most recognizable and historic characters in gaming for their crossover game.

Joker was a Sakurai pick (?)
-but, Hero, Banjo, Terry, and Hayabusa are all implied to be Nintendo picks according to that old tweet from Sakurai, right? They gave him a list of characters, and he chose the ones that he could "make work," right? I honestly couldn't have chosen a better line-up myself. I have zero complaints about the fighter's pass. Collectively, these are some of the best DLC additions in any fighting game ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I echo Himiko.

I know far too little about Terry, KoF, or Fatal Fury to call any of them insignificant/obscure. But in terms of character choice, Terry doesn’t really strike me as all that interesting. That and I lack familiarity with him and his series. Thus, I can’t really find any reason to be excited for his inclusion.

I would much rather have had someone I know/am familiar with.
I'm sure everyone would prefer a character that they're already familiar with, but I'm not sure it's possible to cover that for every single person who participates in this forum, let alone every single person who plays Smash. (a series that you're familiar with might be one that someone else considers niche, insignificant, etc.) If Terry (or an SNK character) does get in, use this as an opportunity to broaden your horizons and familiarize yourself with new franchises.

When people first played Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 64, Ness was likely pretty obscure compared to Mario, Pikachu, Link, etc. Given its limited availability in North America, a lot of North American fans would have had no idea who Shulk was. (the same thing goes for Geno for European fans, considering that Super Mario RPG wasn't released in PAL territories until the Wii's virtual console)

Even with Smash Ultimate's DLC, younger fans might have never played a Banjo-Kazooie game or a Dragon Quest game, and fans without access to a Playstation console might not have played Persona 5. However, all of those games are 100% worth playing; it helps to keep an open mind and give games a chance, instead of saying that you don't want a character in because you're not familiar with them.

Last edited:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
I mean, as mature as a person can be for arguing about video games on the internet. Lol.

Yeah, that’s not what I mean though. C’mon man. Who did you want BEFORE the SNK leak happened that didn’t get in. I mean, I preferred Mai, but I’m happy any SNK character got in. Terry’s the most obvious “Sakurai” choice and the safest pick, but you’d see me defending Marco the way I do Terry all the same. I love Metal Slug.
My absolute most wanted characters for the fighter pass right now are the Chosen Undead and Amaterasu, but I already understood that this was somewhat of a long shot. That being said, those characters not being in are not what fuels my distaste for Terry. I'm fine with CU and Ammy not getting in, but I ask that something new and creative at least be put in their place. Terry is not that. He is, quite literally, the opposite of that. He's a character that has a PREEXISTING moveset that fights with just his fists and legs. Hardly anything to write home about. On top of all that, the "fighting game character that got brought to smash" concept has already been done. TWICE. not to mention his design is completely void of any creativity, being just a regular man in regular everyday clothing.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
All I want is a character who's at least somewhat interesting, for Ultimate, the only 3 characters I'd outright dislike are Geno, Lycanroc and Banjo. Even then I got over Banjo fairly quickly even if I still think he doesn't look very interesting. Hayabusa should be hella interesting assuming he's character 5 too

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord

Maybe stuff will be civil if we don't have the possibility of Ryu looming over thanks to that one (bs?) guy and maybe that Terry/Ryu leak if it matches the former's trailer.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Btw I get the Hat Ken comments, they're completely ****ing wrong, but a blond dude with red clothes who fights unarmed and has whatever the seasonal mystical superpower bullhit is WOULD be what people who don't know one of the two in the slightest. Again yhoygb, completely wrong

D

Deleted member

My absolute most wanted characters for the fighter pass right now are the Chosen Undead and Amaterasu, but I already understood that this was somewhat of a long shot. That being said, those characters not being in are not what fuels my distaste for Terry. I'm fine with CU and Ammy not getting in, but I ask that something new and creative at least be put in their place. Terry is not that. He is, quite literally, the opposite of that. He's a character that has a PREEXISTING moveset that fights with just his fists and legs. Hardly anything to write home about. On top of all that, the "fighting game character that got brought to smash" concept has already been done. TWICE.
Well man, I'm just gonna echo what Megadoomer said just a couple posts above. You're writing off Terry when it shows you hardly know anything about the character, he has his charm, his moveset is a lot less generic than you're implying, as the dude has been in so many games, he's got more moves than he can fit in Smash, giving him an ample pool to choose from, and given how varied all the Fatal Fury and KoF games play, I'm confident his implementation in Smash will be significantly distinct from any of the characters currently in the game (especially if they give him Max Mode - hell, if they give him Max Mode, prepare to see Terry dominating tournaments as it's basically PM's Turbo Mode on a very short time limit), and finally as I said before, KoF is to fighting games what DQ is to JRPGs, so your last point applies to Hero and Cloud as well as Shulk, Lloyd, and a bunch of others.

Also, look man, I toyed with the idea of Chosen Undead and even Artorias, as I love me sum Dark Souls. Bloodborne is easily in my top 10 favorite games of all time, but think of what you're saying for a moment here. Chosen Undead, who's got very basic sword slashes and stabs, and clunky movement and animations, would be "new and creative" within the context of Smash, but Terry Bogard, the dude who uses EARTH CHI for his attacks, and basically helped not only write the book on fighting games, but whose games DIRECTLY inspired the creation of Smash Bros would be "boring"? LIke it's hard to take you seriously with this statement, especially when you say Terry is boring cause he offers a limited template, yet you also show very little knowledge of what Terry is capable of, and compared to Hero, Chosen Undead is SIGNIFICANTLY more limited in scope. Hell, Dark Souls INTENTIONALLY limits your abilities by design, and a lot of what makes the series great wouldn't translate well into Smash at all. C'mon guy... This is a bad excuse my man. You're not being honest here.

D

Deleted member

Btw I get the Hat Ken comments, they're completely ****ing wrong, but a blond dude with red clothes who fights unarmed and has whatever the seasonal mystical superpower bullhit is WOULD be what people who don't know one of the two in the slightest. Again yhoygb, completely wrong
Yeah, it is an easy comment to make for the people who know nothing about KoF.
Doh even then it isn’t a valid argument to go against Terry.

When they are made in a sarcastic or comedic way doh, that would be fair game.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
My absolute most wanted characters for the fighter pass right now are the Chosen Undead and Amaterasu, but I already understood that this was somewhat of a long shot. That being said, those characters not being in are not what fuels my distaste for Terry. I'm fine with CU and Ammy not getting in, but I ask that something new and creative at least be put in their place. Terry is not that. He is, quite literally, the opposite of that. He's a character that has a PREEXISTING moveset that fights with just his fists and legs. Hardly anything to write home about. On top of all that, the "fighting game character that got brought to smash" concept has already been done. TWICE. not to mention his design is completely void of any creativity, being just a regular man in regular everyday clothing.
Cloud, Bayonetta, Ryu, Joker, Hero and presumably Banjo and Kazooie all use elements from prexsisting characters. To say Terry won't bring anything unique as the 2nd fighting game character to appear in Smash when we have a billion sword users and JRPG characters. Sakurai has shown through this DLC pack that he can make character fun and unique. A lot of love is put into this pass, although Terry isn't one of the characters I wanted I still think he'll be fun to play and I don't see the problem of another fighting game character either.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Even then I got over Banjo fairly quickly even if I still think he doesn't look very interesting. Hayabusa should be hella interesting assuming he's character 5 too
Bruh how could you be mad that this clown ass looking ************ got into Smash? PLUS he was a Nintendo Icon. Literally the definition of Smash Bros

D

Deleted member

Right now, there isn’t really a character I would hate to see getting in, more so since Ultimate delivered everything I wanted besides Crash.

The closest thing would be Doomguy since I dislike the Doom games, but even then I understand his importance to the FPS genre and the cult behind him.

Bruh how could you be mad that this clown *** looking ************ got into Smash? PLUS he was a Nintendo Icon. Literally the definition of Smash Bros
Honestly, it could be for a lack of connection with the series or distaste of the character’s moves and design.

In my case, I felt more excited for Hero than for Banjo since DQ is a series close to me and the DQ8 Hero was a pick I deeply wanted as much as Crash. I never played a Banjo game since I don’t own a Xbox or N64.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
In my case, I felt more excited for Hero than for Banjo since DQ is a series close to me and the DQ8 Hero was a pick I deeply wanted as much as Crash. I never played a Banjo game since I don’t own a Xbox or N64.
Deff buy the Banjo-Kazooie port they're about to shadowdrop today.

If you like 3D Platformers (more like Mario 64 or Odyssey) youre gonna fall in love w these guys

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Cloud, Bayonetta, Ryu, Joker, Hero and presumably Banjo and Kazooie all use elements from prexsisting characters. To say Terry won't bring anything unique as the 2nd fighting game character to appear in Smash when we have a billion sword users and JRPG characters. Sakurai has shown through this DLC pack that he can make character fun and unique. A lot of love is put into this pass, although Terry isn't one of the characters I wanted I still think he'll be fun to play and I don't see the problem of another fighting game character either.
What exactly are you trying to argue here? If you're saying that even the most unique characters have had to reuse moves and animations to fill them out, then what hope does a character like Terry have? The whole point of having Ryu in smash was the have a fighting game character in smash. He's THE fighting game character, made to rep the genre in smash. Terry would not bring anything new to the table because of that. He would literally be a retread of the concept. Tacking on yet another meter to mask that isn't going to help him. Copying and pasting a moveset is not creative, sakurai himself has even stated this as to why he doesn't like adding FG characters to smash.

Also, look man, I toyed with the idea of Chosen Undead and even Artorias, as I love me sum Dark Souls. Bloodborne is easily in my top 10 favorite games of all time, but think of what you're saying for a moment here. Chosen Undead, who's got very basic sword slashes and stabs, and clunky movement and animations, would be "new and creative" within the context of Smash, but Terry Bogard, the dude who uses EARTH CHI for his attacks, and basically helped not only write the book on fighting games, but whose games DIRECTLY inspired the creation of Smash Bros would be "boring"? LIke it's hard to take you seriously with this statement, especially when you say Terry is boring cause he offers a limited template, yet you also show very little knowledge of what Terry is capable of, and compared to Hero, Chosen Undead is SIGNIFICANTLY more limited in scope. Hell, Dark Souls INTENTIONALLY limits your abilities by design, and a lot of what makes the series great wouldn't translate well into Smash at all. C'mon guy... This is a bad excuse my man. You're not being honest here.
Don't be like everyone else. Don't just look at a sword and automatically think he's got nothing unique about him. The Chosen Undead has so much going for him to make him unique, hell I've detailed an entire moveset image to show this. He, unlike 90% of the swordfighters in smash, doesn't come from a turn-based RPG, where the entirety of the character's swordplay moveset is "select the attack option in a menu for a single swordslash." He actually has different sword attacks to pull from the different button inputs and combos, sword arts, pyromancy and usage of light, souls, humanity, stamina, unique shielding and parrying, etc etc... I know the image isn't very pretty to look at, but it holds all the information I could give while staying within the character limit of some websites.

Attachments

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Neither have backed up any SNK character. All Verge has done lately was debunk the "female character with a mecha" rumor. And, Sabi's been backpedaling lately.
So you going to ignore the fact they have backed terry? Or you want to keep living in your own fantasy world.

D

Deleted member

I wanna add this.

Like, here's the think people don't get about Terry. Unlike Street Fighter, SNK fighting games had a much heavier emphasis on story. So whereas Ryu and Ken mostly consistently stayed the same over their many many games, Terry on the other hand has grown and evolved over his varous games learning new abilities, and further developing the ones he's already had.

Going from stuff like this:

To stuff like this:

Not to say Ryu and Ken didn't also get various new moves along the way, but comparatively, Terry's catalogue is far larger. Like, this isn't even close to half the stuff he's capable of.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
What exactly are you trying to argue here? If you're saying that even the most unique characters have had to reuse moves and animations to fill them out, then what hope does a character like Terry have? The whole point of having Ryu in smash was the have a fighting game character in smash. He's THE fighting game character, made to rep the genre in smash. Terry would not bring anything new to the table because of that. He would literally be a retread of the concept. Tacking on yet another meter to mask that isn't going to help him. Copying and pasting a moveset is not creative, sakurai himself has even stated this as to why he doesn't like adding FG characters to smash.
No, the point of having Ryu in Smash was... to have Ryu and Street Fighter content in Smash. That's it.

Fighters don't "rep" entire genres. That's not a thing. And if "copypasting moves" was a problem, then the fighting game characters are far from the only ones to go through this.

If Sakurai really had a problem with that, he simply wouldn't put them in. But the fact he did shows that he can see the potential in these characters and can do something creative with them.

Last edited:

andree123

Smash Ace
So will we have any idea on #5? If the trailer matches the one Ryu/Terry leak then that's something, but if not do we only have that Shifty guy to go off of who couldn't even get "Ryu's number 4" right?
I definitely see #5 being Lloyd Irving but I'm holding on whenever Milk-Bosatu is right about the female character being #5.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
It’s been kind of surprising to see how many people hadn’t heard of Terry or SNK at all during this whole ordeal, with some people calling them both “obscure.” While Terry wasn’t on most people’s radar for Smash, the people calling him a literal who are kind of showing the Smash community’s collective tunnel vision.
Unfortunately I don't think it's surprising. Smash is a well known game, the biggest crossover in gaming, and has a lot of fans. But at the same time, there's a lot of fans in the Smash community that complains no matter who's announced. Basically, if the new character isn't the one they wanted then it's a waste of slot of something like that..

I mean, there's so many franchises and games in videogames it's impossible to know all of them, and that's okay. You don't have to be an expert of every game and character. But at least people should show some respect to those characters, specially if they don't know anything about the fighter or his games.
In that sense a lot of Smash fans are bravely ignorants, speaking and despising characters/franchises with 0 knowledge of the latter. It happened with Joker, it happened with Hero, it also happened with Banjo in a lesser extent, and it's happening with Terry Bogard and SNK characters in general. I find it sad, because Smash is supposed to be a celebration of games and yet, a lot of his fans are so close-minded with franchises they don't know.

I would say, I'm not a great SNK fan or something in fact I usually don't play traditional fighting games. I have played some KoF in the past, nothing more. I knew some characters from SNK like Terry or Mai, and I'm really excited to see Terry (if it's finally him) in action. I think it has a great design and looks cool.
Why I say this? I think SNK, his legacy and some of their characters are very well known. But of course some people don't think that, and they're partially right. A lot of Smash fans aren't into other fighting games, meaning that they wouldn't be very familiar with characters from those games.

There's also demographics. A lot of people only plays the 2-3 genres they know and like, and these people usually are not familiar or informed about other genres and games. A hardcore JRPG fan that only plays role playing games probably will know nothing about King of Fighters, while a hardcore fan of fighting games probably won't know anything about Persona, and there's nothing wrong with all of this.
The problem is believing that if you don't know a franchise that must mean those games aren't good or important enough. We're all ignorant about some games and genres.

Terry Bogard is absolutely an iconic character, at least for me and some people I know even if I'm not into classic fighting games and neither I played arcade games.

I thought my first post would be shorter, sorry. Nice to meet you all ;)

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I just have to say one thing that consistently irks me about the Smash community is how little they actually know about games outside of Nintendo releases.

If Nintendo-published games are the ONLY thing you know about games, you've narrowed your gaming worldview to a tiny sliver and I truly feel bad for you. You don't need Smash to introduce you to franchises you haven't known. Get out there and play more games.
To be fair to the Smash Community:

-Persona doesn't exist on Xbox or PC either, its pretty much solely a PlayStation franchise outside of Persona Q and minor mobile releases. Atlus hasn't made a strong effort to expand the franchise beyond PlayStation yet so I can't give Nintendo fans **** for not knowing about it anymore than I can give PC/PS4/Xbone fans for not giving a damn about say Fire Emblem.
-SNK have had one foot in the grave for like 15+ years and their console presence has always been rather muted in the grand scheme of things. They've made a bit comeback but its not like KoFXIV or Samurai Showdown set the world on fire.
-Square-Enix has done an absolute piss poor job of building any sort of momentum for Dragon Quest in international markets. Remember how Dragon Quest XI was casually dumped in September last year with no fanfare against ****ing Spiderman? Seriously, the last time the series had serious marketing in the West was a decade ago.

You don't see the Smash Community treating franchises like Mortal Kombat, Crash Bandicoot, Tekken, Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Overwatch, Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, Minecraft, Doom, Halo, etc. as niche because those franchises put in the work to build a big audience in the West; Tomb Raider is about the only exception to this I've seen. Just because a 3rd party franchise earned a spot in Smash doesn't mean that everyone should be expected to know/care about it now or that there's something wrong with American Nintendo fans who don't know anything about franchises who biggest games have made a fraction of what even something like Super Mario Party has made in the States.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I’m just going to wait until the direct to pass any judgment on Terry.

He deserves to be in Smash no doubt, I also think he looks kind of boring from what I’ve seen of him, but I know Sakurai is a big fan of the KOF series and he will most likely make Terry interesting in the context of Smash Bros.

At the very worst I might end up with some mild disappointment over the character, meanwhile all of Latin America will be going crazy over a trucker dude. So it can’t be that bad.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I definitely see #5 being Lloyd Irving but I'm holding on whenever Milk-Bosatu is right about the female character being #5.
No. Milk-Bosatu claimed that the female character is #4, which is unlikely given how many credible leakers have backed Terry Bogard. All Milk said about Fighter #5 is that they "already appeared".

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace

日本の日本で出来た日本のゲーム
日本生まれの日本のゲーム

I decided not to bring this up at that time because I thought he was just lip servicing for Japanese audience (or he was actually teasing Hero) but maybe he really meant it idk.

D

Deleted member

If you can't play any of the games or just don't have any time and resources to get around them, you at least owe it to yourself to look at YouTube videos of the games being included to Smash, whether if that's an LP, an overview, or a video analysis. I did that with Persona 5 since I don't own a PS4, and the few things I knew about Persona 5 was Atlus apparently taking down LPs of the game around the time of release because of spoilers and being nominated for GOTY. I'll probably watch videos on SNK and Terry some time when he gets revealed.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that there might be a second Fighter Pass that exclusively appeals to the West, while this one will exclusively appeal to the East.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Deff buy the Banjo-Kazooie port they're about to shadowdrop today.

If you like 3D Platformers (more like Mario 64 or Odyssey) youre gonna fall in love w these guys
I would be hyped if that happened.

I don’t care if they are N64 ports with the same old 3D polygons or HD remakes with better 3D models.

The gameplay is that good IMO.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Like someone said a few pages back I do wanna believe FP5 will be someone who appeals to the female audience. Since Joker appealed to people worldwide who didn’t own a Switch, Hero appealed mainly to JP fans, Banjo to NA/EU fans, and the SNK character to SA/Mexico/China fans.

Might be a male character who’s in a game popular among female gamers, like Phoenix Wright or Professor Layton. OR it could be an empowering female lead like Jill, Lara, KOS-MOS, Elma, or some other top choice for an empowering female character. I think the cutesy niche has been filled overall (Isabelle, Kirby, Pokémon), as well as enough Hot Guys(TM).

zferolie

Smash Hero
I think that there might be a second Fighter Pass that exclusively appeals to the West, while this one will exclusively appeal to the East.
So you are saying banjo doesn't appeal to the west?

Honestly, i like the odea that this was a sakurai selects dlc. So far all 4 dlc choices are tied to games or companies sakurai really likes. He is a huge persona and smt fan, loves dq(though most japanese people do), was a fan of banjo and wanted them in melee, and was inspired a ton by snk fighters.

We will need to see who the last will be. I dont know if sakurai has expressed interest in nonja gaiden. I know he liked undertale but god i hope that doesnt happen(sorry only one i just really dont want), we know he really has wanted geno since melee and brawl as well

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
So you are saying banjo doesn't appeal to the west?

Honestly, i like the odea that this was a sakurai selects dlc. So far all 4 dlc choices are tied to games or companies sakurai really likes. He is a huge persona and smt fan, loves dq(though most japanese people do), was a fan of banjo and wanted them in melee, and was inspired a ton by snk fighters.

We will need to see who the last will be. I dont know if sakurai has expressed interest in nonja gaiden. I know he liked undertale but god i hope that doesnt happen(sorry only one i just really dont want), we know he really has wanted geno since melee and brawl as well
Considering this, I could expect 2B to be the last FP character, considering that Sakurai is a fan of Nier: Automata.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
One fun idea, that I know will never happen, that I heard about is making the SNK character a 3 in 1.

Terry, Kyo, and Athena.

Push a button to switch between them.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
2B is one of my dream picks as seen by my sig. To get three dream picks in one pass, all of which I thought were impossible, would be insane to me. I truly would never ask for anything ever again.

D

Deleted member

2B is one of my dream picks as seen by my sig. To get three dream picks in one pass, all of which I thought were impossible, would be insane to me. I truly would never ask for anything ever again.
In my case it would happen with Crash Bandicoot.

I do feel he is possible for Fighter 5, and I don’t think I should give up yet.

If he got in, I would never need another Smash Bros game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom