• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
2B is one of my dream picks as seen by my sig. To get three dream picks in one pass, all of which I thought were impossible, would be insane to me. I truly would never ask for anything ever again.
And, it's possible that it could happen, considering that Sakurai is a fan of N:A, and all of the Fighter Pass characters so far (if an SNK rep does get in) are from franchises that Sakurai is a fan of.

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
So you are saying banjo doesn't appeal to the west?

Honestly, i like the odea that this was a sakurai selects dlc. So far all 4 dlc choices are tied to games or companies sakurai really likes. He is a huge persona and smt fan, loves dq(though most japanese people do), was a fan of banjo and wanted them in melee, and was inspired a ton by snk fighters.

We will need to see who the last will be. I dont know if sakurai has expressed interest in nonja gaiden. I know he liked undertale but god i hope that doesnt happen(sorry only one i just really dont want), we know he really has wanted geno since melee and brawl as well
I’m not too keen on an Undertale fighter, but I want the music from the series...

RcS735

Smash Cadet
So when in the direct do you think we'll get smash news I'm thinking revelling banjo in the middle and ending with Terry.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Bruh how could you be mad that this clown *** looking ************ got into Smash? PLUS he was a Nintendo Icon. Literally the definition of Smash Bros

Banjo Kazooie slaughtered my family and I was raised by Banjo Ryuga and his husband, y'all should have stanned him instead.

Also I wouldn't mind 2B but the skirt may be a problem considering how bad CERO got on Sakurai's ass

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Sakurai has only one criteria for character inclusion, so it seems.
It goes as follows; can the character be fun and engaging in Smash?

Observe other hypothesised rules;

Irrelevancy-:ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie::ultpit::ultduckhunt::ultdoc::ultgnw::ulticeclimbers:
Not Nintendo- :ultsnake::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ultken::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie:
Please, I hate making movesets from fighting games- :ultlittlemac::ultryu::ultken:
Guns/Explosives-:ultsnake::ultjoker:

In theory, the discussion boils down to 'does the character work in Smash' and 'is said character fun to actually use?'

Just saying

D

Deleted member

So when in the direct do you think we'll get smash news I'm thinking revelling banjo in the middle and ending with Terry.
I'm honestly hoping they start the Direct off with Terry's reveal and more info on Smash right after. It'll be a complete bonus if they sneak in a 5th reveal around the end of the direct, though the likelihood of that happening is very low.

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
I know the salt levels may still be high, but after all of this, I'm prompted to ask:

To the people here who dislike all characters currently in the Pass: what would be a good way to close it for you?

And no, I'm not trying to start ****, I'm genuinely curious. Because depending on the answers, the characters you call may be ones to keep an eye on, because their demographics may not have been "appealed to" yet, and Nintendo is spreading the hype pretty evenly this time around, so...
Jill from Resident Evil would be a great way to close the pass for me and would make me feel a bit better about everything, as I’m currently dissatisfied with every character in the pass so far. The more I think about Jill lately the more I realize a Resident Evil crossover with her might be my most desired crossover out of all characters/franchises.

Last edited:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
There was a problem fetching the tweet

I bet no one cares at this point but just in case.

"Direct not yet?
My prophecy almost becoming true."
"By the way, the prophet is not me. It's Mr. H.
I should leak one more thing. Switch will have its own telecommunication line like smartphones."
"If I reveal Mr. H's information directly, I'm sure everyone would understand what I meant."
"Mr. H is denying Nakoruru."
"I said it wrong. He doesn't know."
"The DLC's leading candidate Nakoruru and the leak from Mr. H.
They have something in common.
Mr. H does not know."

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
And, it's possible that it could happen, considering that Sakurai is a fan of N:A, and all of the Fighter Pass characters so far (if an SNK rep does get in) are from franchises that Sakurai is a fan of.
To add to this, Square Enix (the publishers), PlatinumGames (the developers), and Namco Bandai (devs behind a prominent game where 2B guest starred in that had a hand in Ultimate's development) all have playable reps in Smash and have a pretty healthy relationship with Nintendo. Maybe not this pass, but I still think 2B has a shot in the future. If not her, than definitely the next best thing: Akira Howard (Astral Chain). The latter of which is 1st party and has a darn good moveset (transforming laser pistol/baton/sword and puppet user/dual character with different summonings).

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
2B is one of my dream picks as seen by my sig. To get three dream picks in one pass, all of which I thought were impossible, would be insane to me. I truly would never ask for anything ever again.
My dream pick is shantae but i find 2B quite cool and would be a fun addition.

Yes, we must claim 2B as our savior for those who want a female rep. :p
There are other just as good females too, like Shantae, medusa, Jill, Reomu, and more. 2B is sure popular right now too.

Banjo Kazooie slaughtered my family and I was raised by Banjo Ryuga and his husband, y'all should have stanned him instead.

Also I wouldn't mind 2B but the skirt may be a problem considering how bad CERO got on Sakurai's ***
They can just make it a void underneath or just not have the skirt fly up as easily.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

"Direct not yet?
I should leak one more thing. Switch will have its own telecommunication line like smartphones."
"If I reveal Mr. H's information directly, I'm sure everyone would understand what I meant."
"I said wrond. He doesn't know."
Mr. H does not know."
Huh I thought he deleted his account

Anyway, wish he’d just up and say it. I’m more confused than I was before

zferolie

Smash Hero

"Direct not yet?
Mr. H does not know."
Well thats... interesting. Doubling down on the female despite all the Terry talks? Could that rumored snk pokemon trainer design be legit? If its not Nakoruru, Mai would make the most sense.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
He’s saying something about “something in common”

Maybe the female projectile/Nakoruru part is false but FP5 being someone who “already appeared” is true? That’s my takeaway from this anyway

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace

"Direct not yet?
Mr. H does not know."
May be I mistranslated Nakoruru part.
He said "Mr. H is denying Nakoruru", but right after that, he said "I said it wrong. He doesn't know."
But seeing the context, it's could be meaning "Mr. H doesn't know who Nakoruru is".
So it matches with the former claim that Mr. H didn't recognize the character when he saw the model.
This guy's Japanese is so hard to understand.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
To be fair to the Smash Community:

-Persona doesn't exist on Xbox or PC either, its pretty much solely a PlayStation franchise outside of Persona Q and minor mobile releases. Atlus hasn't made a strong effort to expand the franchise beyond PlayStation yet so I can't give Nintendo fans **** for not knowing about it anymore than I can give PC/PS4/Xbone fans for not giving a damn about say Fire Emblem.
-SNK have had one foot in the grave for like 15+ years and their console presence has always been rather muted in the grand scheme of things. They've made a bit comeback but its not like KoFXIV or Samurai Showdown set the world on fire.
-Square-Enix has done an absolute piss poor job of building any sort of momentum for Dragon Quest in international markets. Remember how Dragon Quest XI was casually dumped in September last year with no fanfare against ****ing Spiderman? Seriously, the last time the series had serious marketing in the West was a decade ago.
That is a fair point. I should add something (this is a long post. Decided not to spoiler since TIL some new stuff, but if there's a spoiler request I'll edit it in:

(EDIT: Bleh this post got far too long off of a massive tangent. What's done is done though.)

Since I did a lot of digging into SNK's releases since being bought out by that Chinese joint venture (Leyou Technologies/ Ledo Millenium / 37 Games). Ledo is a subsidiary (child company) of Leyou, for the record. A lot of SNK's attention has also been on the mobile side of things. With little fanfare over here. Those projects being:

* King of Fighter Destiny, a mobile KOF game with a beat 'em up mode and a MOBA (like LoL / Dota 2) mode. I'm not kidding, a MOBA mode. It was big enough to briefly dethrone PUBG for the #1 spot in China. Also, Tencent (Chinese megacorp, I just continue talkin' about them huh) helped SNK out with that game. I'll get back to them later. Also, A King of Fighters anime under the same name. That got three seasons. Has anyone in NA / EU heard about that without stumbling over it?

* A Samurai Shodown MMORPG that launched in China first, followed by a worldwide release. While the developers are listed as Ledo - you know, one of the Chinese owners - the official trailer for the MMOPRG only shows the usual "© SNK Corporation All Rights Reserved" like it did for the Fighter Pass 4 EU page. Without any mention of Ledo in this case. For the record, that usual copyright notice - where SNK stands alone - is everywhere.

* Metal Slug Defense (also on Steam) and Metal Slug Attack, which look very much like mixing the 90s look of Metal Slug with a mobile take. Still claims a combined 35 million downloads while flying under the radar it seems.

SNK's usually been given the free hand (it's only the MMORPG that's developed elsewhere AFAIK. SNK developed the other mobile games + the console titles). Now, onto Tencent. This is going to be fun. I've talked about Tencent working with Nintendo to bring the Switch to China. With Tencent installing their own Skype (WeChat) into Chinese Switch machines. Long story short: Tencent is helping Nintendo through loads of government red tape. And while there's no release day yet, I'm betting that it'll be after Character 4 or even 5 releases. I'd guess the SNK pick is due to:

60 % Sakurai himself. The dude evidently loves KOF to pieces. Nintendo certainly wouldn't mind, given they're already working with SNK and Tencent.

20 % KOF's and SNK's popularity in China. As well as SNK themselves / the Chinese owners and Tencent. Why not bring Smash over to China and launch it with the Switch? And have Smash land right into a big Chinese hype train? Sure, there's been no mention of Smash yet amongst China, but if BotW and Mario Kart 8's been sent to the Chinese government for approval; then I'm counting on Smash getting over to China too. Ultimate's on BotW's and Mario Kart 8's level of ultra-successful.

15 % KOF's Latin American and Japanese popularity. Only helps. Both regions already have established Smash communities and would also form major hype trains over a SNK pick.

5 % Marketing towards those who don't know SNK and NA / EU. Perhaps not a priority in itself, but exposing an SNK rep to the wider Smash community only helps raise awareness. I mean, how many talked about SNK before Nintendo EU flubbed? Not as many as now.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
May be I mistranslated Nakoruru part.
He said "Mr. H is denying Nakoruru", but right after that, he said "I said it wrong. He doesn't know."
But seeing the context, it's could be meaning "Mr. H doesn't know who Nakoruru is".
So it matches with the former claim that Mr. H didn't recognize the character when he saw the model.
This guy's Japanese is so hard to understand.

This is very odd but interesting. They were saying the whole time its a female, but that may have been wrong? Or not wrong i guess? Curious

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Sakurai has only one criteria for character inclusion, so it seems.
It goes as follows; can the character be fun and engaging in Smash?

Observe other hypothesised rules;

Irrelevancy-:ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie::ultpit::ultduckhunt::ultdoc::ultgnw::ulticeclimbers:
Not Nintendo- :ultsnake::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ultken::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie:
Please, I hate making movesets from fighting games- :ultlittlemac::ultryu::ultken:
Guns/Explosives-:ultsnake::ultjoker:

In theory, the discussion boils down to 'does the character work in Smash' and 'is said character fun to actually use?'

Just saying
More or less. Though I still think weighing the positives/negatives is important if we can call anything "speculation" and keeping discussion within based within some agreed upon reality. Ex. No 4th Parties

Ultimately like who you like and root for who you want to root for. Just don't take criticisms of your personal picks personally nor go out of your way to put others down. A lot of fanbases have been really bad winners IMO.

:ultpiranha:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
My dream pick is shantae but i find 2B quite cool and would be a fun addition.

There are other just as good females too, like Shantae, medusa, Jill, Reomu, and more. 2B is sure popular right now too.

They can just make it a void underneath or just not have the skirt fly up as easily.
I mean, Palutena had to get a slight redesign to get an A rating from CERO, Palutena's Uprising design seems incredibly modest when compared to goddamn 2B, the only sexy maid in all of fiction

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
As much as I'd love to see the character/series get represented in Smash, I feel like this goes against the very nature of Yoko Taro/the creator's will.

I wouldn't discount that they'd try to tone it down in other ways, but this one specifically I genuinely can't see happening.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
This is very odd but interesting. They were saying the whole time its a female, but that may have been wrong? Or not wrong i guess? Curious
He's not backpedaling the female with projectile(s) part.
I think what Milk Bosatsu is trying to say is that Mr. H didn't know the character he saw AND he also is not familiar with Nakoruru.
He is not saying it's Nakoruru who's in. Still could be Mai or someone else.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think what Milk Bosatsu is trying to say is that Mr. H didn't know the character he saw AND he also not familiar with Nakoruru.
If somehow both this guy and Sabi/Verge are correct... maybe this is some sort of Terry/Nakoruru/Mai or Kyo tag team as many have theorized?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
2B can get a toned down redesign with the approval of Yoko Taro if they ever wanted her in Smash, it's not like we don't already have a precedence with this. Mythra got redesigned for her spirit and the development team for XC2 uploaded the redesign on their own game, meaning there has been cooperation from the two sides.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
2B can get a toned down redesign with the approval of Yoko Taro if they ever wanted her in Smash, it's not like we don't already have a precedence with this. Mythra got redesigned for her spirit and the development team for XC2 uploaded the redesign on their own game, meaning there has been cooperation from the two sides.
Mythra's slight redesign is funny as **** as it improves her design quite a bit due to the colours meshing really well together tbh

zferolie

Smash Hero
I think what Milk Bosatsu is trying to say is that Mr. H didn't know the character he saw AND he also is not familiar with Nakoruru.
Which is very interesting given that verge and sabi are saying its Terry...

If somehow both this guy and Sabi/Verge are correct... maybe this is some sort of Terry/Nakoruru/Mai or Kyo tag team as many have theorized?
This is what i am leaning towards. I mean, terry would play differently then other people on his own, but this sort of tag team mechanic is the type of craziness i expect from sakurai.

Plus i bet everyone would stop complaining about an snk character if this happens. I mean, its possible sakurai knew just terry on his own may mot be unique enough?

KatKit

Smash Lord
Hmm..a female character...from a series Sakurai loves...

2B Gang/Elma Gang rise up
Reporting for duty!

Although I'm also hoping Sakurai (shoot... or even his daughter lol) is a Style Savvy fan. Considering he plays countless games, and considering that Style Savvy has a suspicious amount of songs in Smash for a series with no playable reps, stages, or even items, it's possible. I think he's slowly trying to introduce it to people to lessen the inevitable backlash for when she becomes playable.

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Plus i bet everyone would stop complaining about an snk character if this happens. I mean, its possible sakurai knew just terry on his own may mot be unique enough?
While there were obv some complaining about "who tf is SNK?" i think ppl were moreso complaining about the idea of getting another basic fighting character w/ Terry.

A unique moveset involving other SNK characters would be, as they say in the business, ****ing badass **** that we'd love.

zferolie

Smash Hero
As much as I'd love to see the character/series get represented in Smash, I feel like this goes against the very nature of Yoko Taro/the creator's will.

I wouldn't discount that they'd try to tone it down in other ways, but this one specifically I genuinely can't see happening.
As others have said, i think if Yoko taro is ok with any changes its fine. I mean sexiness is not the only goal woth 2B right? And they could capture everything else in smash without some skirt shots.

Mythra's slight redesign is funny as **** as it improves her design quite a bit due to the colours meshing really well together tbh
I do actually like that change to mythra haha it adds some nice color to her. And the creators must have liked it too as they added it in as an option on xb2

SKX31

Smash Master
While there were obv some complaining about "who tf is SNK?" i think ppl were moreso complaining about the idea of getting another basic fighting character w/ Terry.

A unique moveset involving other SNK characters would be, as they say in the business, ****ing badass **** that we'd love.
If I'll boil down my response to that in a simple answer (don't tangent now, SKX31, don't) it's:

A lot of big characters wind up rather similar to each other. And not because of copying for the sake of copying something popular. It's kinda difficult for Sakurai to choose a more unique character when a lot of the hype-inducing picks are beloved characters. Even if they are or seem similar.

Last edited:

RcS735

Smash Cadet
This is what i am leaning towards. I mean, terry would play differently then other people on his own, but this sort of tag team mechanic is the type of craziness i expect from sakurai.

Please don't get my hopes up this sounds awesome

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
BRUH

IF THE SNK REP WAS A GROUP OF TAG TEAM CHARACTERS, THAT'D BE SICK!

I'd imagine they'd be given a general King of Fighters style name, like SNK Team, or something.

But yeah, I WANT THAT NOW!

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero

Indeed. Imagine this. Terry for Fatel fury, Mai for KoF... and Fio for metal slug.

Please don't get my hopes up this sounds awesome
Blame milk for getting our hopes up, not me

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I wonder how would the Kirby copy ability work? Just copy whomever’s in the lead like Kirby does with Pokemon Trainer?

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
If I'll boil down my response to that in a simple answer (don't tangent now, SKX31, don't) it's:
A lot of big characters wind up rather similar to each other. And not because of copying for the sake of copying something popular. It's kinda difficult for Sakurai to choose a more unique character when a lot of the hype-inducing picks are beloved characters. Even if they are or seem similar.
Sakurai has been doing an outstanding job w/ Ultimate in distinguishing each character from one another. I fully admit that I was not pumped about Hero being another Robin/Link, but Sakurai made me eat my words as Hero is something entirely new to Smash (that I love to play as).

Especially due to these "female fighting game character" and "flying weapon" leaks from earlier, somethings leading me to believe that Terry's getting some back up in his move set.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hmm...

Thoughts? or as Twitter says, sco pa tu manaa

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Hmm...

Thoughts? or as Twitter says, sco pa tu manaa
Well, well, WELL. This is quite interesting. I knew o was right not giving up on that milk leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom