• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Grab-Cancel Slide Technique? [With Video]

Actually, yes! I was thinking a more technical name for it would be like Transition Boosted USmash but transition isn't even a real smash term so Boosted Running USmash is way better

I wonder if any other groups of smashers have found out about this or if this is a Villager News Network exclusive

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
It is a weird phenomenon that Villager's is so long. I wonder what the reason is behind it?

Also either one of those names sounds fine haha, I accidentally anagrammed the first one and made it have the initals "TUBS" which would have been hilarious

Transition USmash Boost. TUB. Works fine imo

And to be honest I don't know, I need to try it out with other characters to see what its like. Then again I have no idea what I should be looking for in a character to see which ones would have notable differences in the distances travelled by running USmash and TUB.

Edit: Transition Boost USmash, TUB
Boosted Running USmash, BRUS
Dash to Run Transition Boosted Usmash, DRTBUS

all of those sound ****ing terrible and great at the same time

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I've been able to do it with the spotdodge.

Or maybe I'm just running and spotdodging, but it seems like if you do it at the right time, by the time your character is at the end of his dash, he'll be in the invincibility state

Ok, so playing with it more in 1/2 speed and its getting progressively easier. I don't know what to describe the interval of time between the "dash" sound and the window, but... you'll know it after relying on visual cues first. Also, I'd estimate the window as being roughly 4F

I guess that in order to make the most use of this you'd have to incorporate a lot of foxtrotting, but since you can't shield during a foxtrot its sort of iffy

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
So basically you just gotta dash, and then up smash in the first few frames of the dash?

No, dash, hold the stick to keep running into a dash, and USmash in the first few frames of the run. Ryota put it nicely when they said that Villager has a wonky transition animation. Go to training and slow speed down and run. You'll notice it. Another cue I've found is the trailing foot. USmashing right when the trailing foot begins to move forward more or less lines up with the window.

Edit: Okay so I just realised that if you hold shield during the dash and before the run, when the shield begins to come up should be where the window is (or maybe one or two frames before that). Somebody with a capture card should get on this

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
No, dash, hold the stick to keep running into a dash, and USmash in the first few frame of a run. Ryota put it nicely when he said that Villager has a wonky transition animation. Go to training and slow speed down and run. You'll notice it. Another cue I've found is the trailing foot. USmashing right when the trailing foot begins to move forward more or less lines up with the window.

Edit: Okay so I just realised that if you hold shield during the dash and before the run, when the shield begins to come up should be where the window is (or maybe one or two frames before that). Somebody with a capture card should get on this
Oh yeah, I meant while holding the run command XP

But basically it's just dash into up smash (while holding the control stick) in the earlier frames?

If so, I've done that, and it's actually not that difficult.

DRTBUS, pronounced "dirt-bus" sounds amazing to me.
Hah yeah thats exactly what I was thinking. Dirt Bus or Dirty Bus :190:

Oh yeah, I meant while holding the run command XP

But basically it's just dash into up smash (while holding the control stick) in the earlier frames?

If so, I've done that, and it's actually not that difficult.
Er, well, not really. Just to make sure we're on the same page, a dash is what you do when you tap a horizontal direction on the ground. It's the part with the little dust cloud, and you can't skid out of a dash, but you can perfect pivot and dash dance. A run is when you hold the analogue stick after the dash. You can shield and skid out of a run, but you can't perfect pivot or dash dance. Additionally, if you just tap the stick to dash then tap it again, you can dash again out of the first dash (foxtrotting). Also, in general, characters move faster during their dashes than they do during their runs.

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Dash

What this is is doing the USmash at the point where you go from the intial dash into the actual run.

dash into run would make it work
?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Hah yeah thats exactly what I was thinking. Dirt Bus or Dirty Bus :190:

Er, well, not really. Just to make sure we're on the same page, a dash is what you do when you tap a horizontal direction on the ground. It's the part with the little dust cloud, and you can't skid out of a dash, but you can perfect pivot and dash dance. A run is when you hold the analogue stick after the dash. You can shield and skid out of a run, but you can't perfect pivot or dash dance. Additionally, if you just tap the stick to dash then tap it again, you can dash again out of the first dash (foxtrotting). Also, in general, characters move faster during their dashes than they do during their runs.

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Dash

What this is is doing the USmash at the point where you go from the intial dash into the actual run.

?
Smash words are relatively new to me, so I may have explained myself weird XP but basically what I'm doing is not a Running Up-Smash, but rather, an Up-Smash done in the initial frames of the initial dash that makes me go forward without actually running anywhere.

And I know about foxtrotting, I'm actually planning to use this in conjunction WITH that, since you can't foxtrot out of a run (as far as I know)

Last edited:
Ah, alright I get you now. So nope, that wouldn't be the same thing as this. I imagine the distance you move with the USmash is kind of small, right? Watch the video in the OP. They let their initial dash go through, then USmash around the time when the full run would begin, giving them quite a noticeable slide with USmash.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
So the trick here is to upsmash, not as fast as possible, but rather, between the dash and run?

Yes! Exactly that. USmashing as soon as you can is not the way to go for this little trick, which is why the timing is so hard to get down right. You want to USmash at the point where you transition from the initial dash to the run. The way I've been practicing it has been starting at 1/4 speed, then moving up. At 2/3 speed it isn't so much about looking for visual cues as it is simply timing the two sticks. You get a feel for the "rhythm" between tapping the analogue stick to dash, and then the C-Stick to smash afterwards. Another method I've used has been just holding shield during the initial dash (but not so early that it results in a roll), and just getting a feel for around when the shield comes out, because that's basically when the USmash has to be input. Your shield won't begin to go up until your initial dash has ended/is transitioning into run, so looking at that and internalising that timing has helped me.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Out of the 20 times tried in normal speed, I've gotten it 5 times.

Not bad, if I do say so myself, for a first try ^.^. Now just gotta practice it to use competitively.

Gonna be DIRTBUSing everybody.

I FEEL SO ADVANCED

Last edited:

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
I apologize for not staying updated on this as of recently.

Man, you guys went to town uncovering the mechanics behind this, great job! So, let me get this straight, it's completely unrelated to canceling a grab? Instead, you have to Up-Smash after the initial dash startup during the transition into run in a sort of rhythm? That sounds pretty doable. Looks like you were right, Ryota!

Also- DIRTBUS is an incredible name. Love it.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I apologize for not staying updated on this as of recently.

Man, you guys went to town uncovering the mechanics behind this, great job! So, let me get this straight, it's completely unrelated to canceling a grab? Instead, you have to Up-Smash after the initial dash startup during the transition into run in a sort of rhythm? That sounds pretty doable. Looks like you were right, Ryota!

Also- DIRTBUS is an incredible name. Love it.
Pretty much, just gotta have the timing down of when to upsmash

Also keep the forward direction pressed.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
So, this wouldn't work on the 3DS at all given the lack of the C-stick?
Pretty sure that's correct, since it'd be impossible to keep the run momentum whem upsmashing.

I'm tempted to say that this same technique can be applied to making your dash attack longer, but I'm not 100% sure yet so I'm still testing it out.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Can anybody confirm if this works with other characters too?

I've played around with it with Wii Fit Trainer, Greninja, and Zero Suit Samus, but I'm not sure if the difference between their regular running USmash and their DIRTBUS is negligible or if I'm just not doing it at all.

I'll try it out with Sheik and Rosalina since I'm much more familiar with those characters.

Last edited:

Pepto

Smash Cadet
My vote is for dirtbus as well. Also, this works for spot dodge, so I'm assuming the stick has to return to the neutral position after the dash (seeing how you can spot dodge instead of rolling). So can you do this with neutral b? If you pocket something like a tree or charge shot, this would be a nasty way to gain a lot of range.

Bonus question: any way to pivot this? Maybe not with usmash since you're relying on the dash, but I feel like the pocket could be pivoted.

Last edited:
Right, so I can confirm that this does in fact work with Pocket. Compared to Pocket out of a run, Villager shifts forward much farther. I also know I'm not just doing a Pocket out of an immediate skid, because if I BReverse Pocket with DIRTBUS timing Villager shifts back a huge, or at least very noticeable, amount. BReversing out a run conserves nearly no momentum at all, and BReversing out a skid makes it very obvious that you skidded.

Also, it seems that the timing for DIRTBUS Pocket is much more forgiving (then again, I can DIRTBUS nearly consistently at normal speed now so idk)

In addition, I think the fact that you can do both normal and BReversed DIRTBUSed Pockets means that you do NOT have to hold the analogue stick forward. I've also been able to do standard DIRTBUSes while releasing the analogue stick as soon as the transition occured. However, the fact that I just can't do this on the 3DS casts doubt, especially considering the fact that I can't DIRTBUS Pocket, but can consistently do BReversed Needle cancels as soon as I begin a run.

Edit: Just did DIRTBUSed Lloid on accident. The boost forward is incredibly obvious. I'll try and BReverse it now.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
We gotta make a list of what else can be used in the DIRTBUS.

Pocket
Lloid
Upsmash

Indigo, since you're more consistent with this, would you mind seeing if DIRTBUS works with Villager's Dash attack? I'm pretty sure it does, but my DIRTBUS is still kinda inconsistent (still practicing)

Or can it not due to the physics of the tech?

Last edited:
I know, I was thinking that same thing when I was typing my post out. DIRTB doesnt sound as cool so I decided to just ignore it :c

Edit: also I'm not sure if you can DIRTB(barf) a dash attack. I haven't been able to pull it off and know I did. Though I think you can DIRTB all stages of Timber.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
It's not really a DIRTBUS if you end with something other than up smash, acronym ruined :|
Well it seems Villager just has a lot of DIRT techniques in general.

The fact DIRT is still there makes me happy.

Right, a video! I'll try and get one up as soon as I can. At the moment I'm away from home so literally all I have is my phone, but once I get back around the 15th or so I'll start on that.

I've never actually made a smash related video, so what do you giys want to see in it? At the moment I was thinking of showing DIRTBUS and DIRTBed specials, along with maybe the timing.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Right, a video! I'll try and get one up as soon as I can. At the moment I'm away from home so literally all I have is my phone, but once I get back around the 15th or so I'll start on that.

I've never actually made a smash related video, so what do you giys want to see in it? At the moment I was thinking of showing DIRTBUS and DIRTBed specials, along with maybe the timing.
I think it sounds better if we just leave it as DIRT

Dash Into Run Transition Pocket

Dash Into Run Transition Lloid

Sure, it boosts you, but so does DACUS and it doesn't mention boosting, so I think we can take the luxury of removing the B to make Villager just be a DIRTy player...amirite?

Or maybe Dash Into Run Transition Slide

DIRTS

ANYWAY, yeah seeing DIRT specials and DIRTBUS would be good. Also a slowdown as well, and comparison with regular ones

Pepto

Smash Cadet
For specials they can be Dash Into Running Transition Into (pronounced "dirty"). DIRTI Pocket, DIRTI Lloid, and, if possible, DIRTI Timber. Speaking of which, DIRTI Timber could be extremely useful, especially during the ax swing, which is both a powerful attack by itself and a way to chop down a tree from far away. The watering can could also be useful since it has the wind/push properties, and could be a surprise gimp to opponents that miss the sweet spot while recovering, as well as a way to make the tree sprout from far away.

So @ Indigo Jeans Indigo Jeans my wishlist is a technical, step by step explanation and demonstration of DIRTBUS, DIRTI Pocket, and DIRTI Lloid, as well as testing whether or not DIRTI Timber (all three stages), DIRTI Fsmash, DIRTI Dsmash, DIRTI jab, DIRTI tilts, and DIRTI shield work. Also, a pivoted version of everything (if it doesn't work, it doesn't work, no biggie).

I'd also like to see DIRTI spot dodge, DIRTI rolls, DIRTI jump, or DIRTI Balloon Fighter work. I don't see any practical applications for those, but I'm just curious.

I can tell you right now that

DIRTB Watering Can works. Axe probably (very most likely does) works too. I'm not sure about planting but I don't see why it wouldnt

If by pivot you mean BReverse, then only Pocket and axe would work. I've already said DIRTB BReverse Pocket is a thing, and I mentioned axe now. However, none of Villager's other specials can be BReversed, only turned around. If by pivot you mean something like perfect pivoting, then that wouldn't work at all since perfect pivoting only works during a dash. If by pivot you mean what happens when you turn around while running thay makes you skid, that you can do FTilts out of, that wouldn't work either, since it's past the DIRTB window

FSmash, DSmash, jab, and tilts can't be DIRTBed, since you can't do any of those out of a run

DIRTB spotdodges can work, idk about rolls, maybe?

I don't think DIRTB shield nor jump will work but I'll look into it

Also you didn't mention it but I'll look into DIRTB grab as well

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I can tell you right now that

DIRTB Watering Can works. Axe probably (very most likely does) works too. I'm not sure about planting but I don't see why it wouldnt

If by pivot you mean BReverse, then only Pocket and axe would work. I've already said DIRTB BReverse Pocket is a thing, and I mentioned axe now. However, none of Villager's other specials can be BReversed, only turned around. If by pivot you mean something like perfect pivoting, then that wouldn't work at all since perfect pivoting only works during a dash. If by pivot you mean what happens when you turn around while running thay makes you skid, that you can do FTilts out of, that wouldn't work either, since it's past the DIRTB window

FSmash, DSmash, jab, and tilts can't be DIRTBed, since you can't do any of those out of a run

DIRTB spotdodges can work, idk about rolls, maybe?

I don't think DIRTB shield nor jump will work but I'll look into it

Also you didn't mention it but I'll look into DIRTB grab as well
DIRTB sounds so awkward thoo XP

And lol, DIRT watering can sounds hilarious

Pepto

Smash Cadet
If by pivot you mean BReverse, then only Pocket and axe would work. I've already said DIRTB BReverse Pocket is a thing, and I mentioned axe now. However, none of Villager's other specials can be BReversed, only turned around.
I'm using pivot as a blanket term for turning the other way right before you using an attack, so even though attacks like Lloid are easily turned around, I (possibly inaccurately) consider that a pivot if you use it in the opposite direction you were facing. I'm less concerned about if the pivots work, since I'm confident they will, I just want to see how facing the other direction affects his sliding movement.

Edit: I read over everything again and for DIRTBUS, you're supposed to keep the holding to left stick to stay in the dash/run movement, and cancel it with the c stick. But you can DIRTI Pocket, which, unless the mechanics randomly change, Pocket has to be done with the left stick in a neutral position, so, and correct me if I'm wrong, holding the left stick during the DIRTI movements isn't necessary. So you're not restricted to movements that are possible out running, and DIRTI Fsmash, Dsmash, and jab should be possible.

Last edited:

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
I'm assuming this is doable on 3ds due to no cstick requirement?
TIME TO DIRTBUS
EDIT: What's the button input?

Last edited:

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
This really needs to be updated with an up-to-date video.
The fact we aren't spreading this across the forums is ludicrous; this could make or a break a tournament.

Top Bottom