• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Grab-Cancel Slide Technique? [With Video]

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
My vote is to call it DIRTI. (Pronounced dirty)

Dash Into Run Transition Into ...

DIRTIUS
DIRTI lloid
DIRTI Dodge
DIRTI Pocket
DIRTI Timber
etc

Last edited:
I'm using pivot as a blanket term for turning the other way right before you using an attack, so even though attacks like Lloid are easily turned around, I (possibly inaccurately) consider that a pivot if you use it in the opposite direction you were facing. I'm less concerned about if the pivots work, since I'm confident they will, I just want to see how facing the other direction affects his sliding movement.

Edit: I read over everything again and for DIRTBUS, you're supposed to keep the holding to left stick to stay in the dash/run movement, and cancel it with the c stick. But you can DIRTI Pocket, which, unless the mechanics randomly change, Pocket has to be done with the left stick in a neutral position, so, and correct me if I'm wrong, holding the left stick during the DIRTI movements isn't necessary. So you're not restricted to movements that are possible out running, and DIRTI Fsmash, Dsmash, and jab should be possible.
You're right, you don't need to be holding the analogue stick during the transition. However, this doesn't mean you can do FSmash, DSmash, or jab out of DIRT. Neutral B's have always been possible out of a run. The reason the others don't work is because the game is coded to force a dash attack if you press a standard attack button while running. Try doing a neutral B attack out of a run; I can guarantee you it will work. This is why DIRTIPocket works. Try doing an FSmash, DSmash, or jab out of a run. I can guarantee you it will not work, even if the analogue stick has fully returned to neutral on the same frame you input your attack. You will dash attack. If you let yourself skid, then it isn't a DIRTI anything anymore.

I'm assuming this is doable on 3ds due to no cstick requirement?
TIME TO DIRTBUS
EDIT: What's the button input?
It might be possible on the 3DS but I haven't gotten it to work.

This needs to be more known...
This really needs to be updated with an up-to-date video.
The fact we aren't spreading this across the forums is ludicrous; this could make or a break a tournament.
I haven't been able to get a definitive DIRTI attack with other characters... this might be why it's not spreading? People probably think it isn't useful to them if they don't play Villager.
@ Indigo Jeans Indigo Jeans said they'd be back around the 15th to make the video. They've still got some time, but I agree this is too useful a tactic to not master.

Someone mentioned if this would work after a pivot. Is that the same as the "corner dash pivot slide" that was on the home page a few days ago? Just not on the edge.

http://smashboards.com/threads/new-smash-4-movement-option-corner-dash-pivot-slide.385870/
This is my biggest issue with Smash 4 thus far; misnomers run absolutely rampant. I don't blame you though. It's the people who call everything that results in a slide a "wavedash" and anything that involves turning around a "pivot" and anything that lets you do a moving USmash a "DACUS" and anything results in a moving item throw a "glidetoss". The worst offender though is perfect pivoting, with people calling it wavedashing. Anyway it's not your fault, I don't blame you.

The pivot the other person was talking about isn't the same thing as what's being done in the video. The video shows what is more accurately called a "turnaround skid". A "pivot" or "perfect pivot" is basically a half-done dash dance. You dash in one direction, then dash in the opposite direction, but let go of the analogue stick quickly enough so you just turn around and go into you idle animation. That's what perfect pivoting is, and that's what can be combined with DIRT, along with dash dancing. However, you cannot DIRT out of a turnaround skid, since you need to be running in order to do that.

Also don't double post, edit your post next time.

Anyway I'm hoping to get a capture device sometime soon so I can make a proper video.

Last edited:

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Yep, so I tried this out, and it's frustrating. Hopefully we can get a video up soon. The "cue" for inputting upsmash is very subtle, but the change of animation from dashing to running is this little jerk where Villager's model does this small little twitch. You can only really see it in 1/4 speed.

I'll need to practice this. Very inconsistent with only fifteen minutes or so of practice. And I haven't managed to get any other attacks. Just upsmash.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I can try to get some footage up later of this event. I am not THAT great at doing it consistently, but I get the science and timing behind it.

With a good half an hour of practice this should become second nature.

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
DIRTBUS Sounds really awful....

I prefer Boost USmash ....

PyroBandit

Smash Cadet
So basically this is a canceled running grab into another attack (such as USmash, Pocket, Lloid)? And you keep the momentum from the dash, creating a DACUS effect? Im just trying to fully understand what's happening here.

Anyways, this could definitely use more testing. A pseudo-DACUS would make Villager an even more viable character.

Also, DIRTBUS is a hilarious name. I like it.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Considering this might be a thing due to Villager's grab having slower frames, does this mean that potentially this would work with tether grab characters like the :4tlink::4link:&:4samus::4zss:?

As we know DG:4villager::4villagerf:'s goes at 16-17 frames with a transition on the 18th.
But :4tlink:'s DG goes at the Frame 14-20, but can grab at the 7th as it being tether, meaning it should be possible in theory right?

So basically this is a canceled running grab into another attack (such as USmash, Pocket, Lloid)? And you keep the momentum from the dash, creating a DACUS effect? Im just trying to fully understand what's happening here.

Anyways, this could definitely use more testing. A pseudo-DACUS would make Villager an even more viable character.

Also, DIRTBUS is a hilarious name. I like it.
Considering this might be a thing due to Villager's grab having slower frames, does this mean that potentially this would work with tether grab characters like the :4tlink::4link:&:4samus::4zss:?

As we know DG:4villager::4villagerf:'s goes at 16-17 frames with a transition on the 18th.
But :4tlink:'s DG goes at the Frame 14-20, but can grab at the 7th as it being tether, meaning it should be possible in theory right?
Read through the thread... it has nothing to do with cancelling grabs

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530

http://smashboards.com/threads/villagers-at-compilation-thread.386962/

Here you will find an answer to your question.

Someone really needs to update the thread title. I can't keep linking this all the time.

Actually...

Read through the thread... it has nothing to do with cancelling grabs
Would it be possible to sticky the Villager AT thread I made? I feel since its updated, its better than having every new Villager who wants to learn this AT post in this thread asking why it cancels grabs. (and that applies for thinkin the one-chop has to be done with a short-hop fast fall, lol)

Last edited:

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
This need a better video explaining how to do this. I'll do it because I started to do this consistently and It is really a good AT

BusterFiddlewig

Smash Rookie
Pardon me if I'm repeating something already mentioned, but as I was practicing this tech a little while ago, and decided to check to see if it was possible without using the c-stick at all. It is in fact possible. You just need to hold the control-stick diagonally so you keep the forward momentum and still U-smash. So if you don't have smash attacks set to C-stick, you can still perform this. It's a whole lot harder to perform though.

On a side note, I just learned while testing this, that if you hold up diagonally while running you can easily change your running speed to go a bit slower. Dunno if it has any good uses or not but I figured I'd mention it.

Edit: Woops! Looks like it is shown off in that other thread. Never mind! Though I still find diagonal U-smash easier than straight up U-smash.

Last edited:

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
Pardon me if I'm repeating something already mentioned, but as I was practicing this tech a little while ago, and decided to check to see if it was possible without using the c-stick at all. It is in fact possible. You just need to hold the control-stick diagonally so you keep the forward momentum and still U-smash. So if you don't have smash attacks set to C-stick, you can still perform this. It's a whole lot harder to perform though.

On a side note, I just learned while testing this, that if you hold up diagonally while running you can easily change your running speed to go a bit slower. Dunno if it has any good uses or not but I figured I'd mention it.

Edit: Woops! Looks like it is shown off in that other thread. Never mind! Though I still find diagonal U-smash easier than straight up U-smash.
Regardless, nice observation- I suppose it's up to personal preference. Regarding the slower run speed thing, there actually is somewhat of a technique you can pull off with it. If you trigger the slower run speed while running into an edge, you'll run in place and be able to activate your dash attack whenever. This is particularly useful for Villager because her dash attack uses a projectile and utilizing this makes it easier to time when targeting an offstage foe.

It also looks really hilarious for mindgame purposes.

BusterFiddlewig

Smash Rookie
Regardless, nice observation- I suppose it's up to personal preference. Regarding the slower run speed thing, there actually is somewhat of a technique you can pull off with it. If you trigger the slower run speed while running into an edge, you'll run in place and be able to activate your dash attack whenever. This is particularly useful for Villager because her dash attack uses a projectile and utilizing this makes it easier to time when targeting an offstage foe.

It also looks really hilarious for mindgame purposes.
Just tried it out. Oh my goodness. xD Yup, I am putting this to use! Thanks for the tip! =)

Top Bottom