• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character to be Shown Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Anyone saying the Sal leaks are entirely made up is stupid.

It's very clear it's 2 years old information that was outdated, given the X/Y character (and what Sakurai said about Greninja that proves that is true) and the fact they got THE FREAKING WII FIT TRAINER RIGHT!!!

The Wii Fit Trainer wasn't even on any roster maker apps for goodness sake. There were lists of thousands of characters I read, and the one time The Wii Fit Trainer was mentioned that I know of as a playable smash bros. character was one of pizzamandudeguy's friends in one of his videos as a joke super ultimate troll character.

Besides that, Sal leaked the entire UMVC3 roster before anyone else, so he has a history of leaks, and he clearly stated he wasn't sure on this source.
Are you talking about queensaki, who had the game before anyone else in Japan?
It might be. I'm bad with names, lol.

There were a lot of leakers back then that were real, lol. I think we had like 3-6 true leakers for Brawl, whereas now we have Sal and that NPC figure leaker as the only legitimate sources.
In short, the Gematsu leak wasn't 100% accurate and didn't reveal everything there was to reveal.
Pretty much this. 2 or 3 of the Brawl leaks that were legit had incorrect information on them.

It doesn't mean the entire thing is fake.

Above all else it doesn't give us a right to run their head through the mud.

The people worst off in this are the people doing this. They clearly liked early unofficial leaks, and yet they're scary off our 1 of maybe 3 legitimate leakers. What do you think any future potential leaker will do if we keep this trend up=???

Last edited:

Joalro

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0189-8794-0585
In the end the unused model became the Final Smash for Robin, Chrom is model is in-fact as good as any playable character model, I think DLC will make Chrom Playable though!
Personally, I think DLC is the most unbelievable part from the Sal leak. Not because I think DLC can't happen, it might. The biggest problem I see is IF the Sal leak is still credible (to some extent), and errors can be explained that it's old information, than DLC makes no sense whatsoever. Sakurai has stated not that long ago that DLC is possible but he had no plans for it at the time. So does the Sal leaker have old or new information? If he has old information, I don't think he can know about DLC. If he has new information, why did he predict Chrom?

I think having Chrom in Robin's final smash totally destroys Chrom's chances of being in Smash 4 ever, even with DLC. Unless, I suppose, they replace Chrom with another character in a future patch, though I find that highly unlikely.

supersaiyanmikito

Smash Cadet
This is what I've been saying. Some characters have great potential for alternate costumes, like Little Mac and his Pink Hoodie, but not all characters do. MegaMan could get a ProtoMan skin, Sonic could get a Shadow skin, Pac-Man could get a Ms. Pac-Man skin. It's like playing a new character, but really it's just a skin. Aside from them having an entirely new moveset, it's the best of both worlds. Fans get a different character to play as and non-fans don't have to gripe about slots being taken.

Dr. Mario is also an option, as well as Daisy or Mr. L.
Little Mac is not exactly the same but the rest are good examples. Giving a character an alt to look and sound like a character who fights exactly like they do. Daisy is an EXCELLENT example. She simply doesn't have what it takes to become a playable character so its possible to make her an alt for Peach. While using that costume, the announcer, the chanting crowd and in-game text refer to to Daisy instead and give her separate voice clips. Its as easy as that.

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA sorry I'm laughing at the wrongness/purposeful misleading of Gematsu (wouldn't you put in wrong info to trick people too?)
Really though, why doesn't ANYBODY suspect that he could be lying about some stuff?
Oh and we basically know Shulk is in, since the retweet business...
So ah... what does Sal Romano have to say about all of this?

Despite anything this, this still stands:
You Got The Hype! L.png

Attachments

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
Because she is the worst and laziest clone to date.
"Lets make another Marth but slightly faster!"
"Great idea, and lets make her a new character and give her a dedicated space on the select so the roster looks bigger then it actually is!"
"She even wears the same clothes so we don't have to put in any work at all!"
You gotta cool it, bruh.

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
I think Sakurai is trying to squeeze in as many "characters" as possible this time around. I consider Lucina a "character" meaning that she is her own person by name and voice etc. and she simply is not an alternate costume but an alternate character and will be treated as such in terms of marketing and on the main site. Hence her being labeled newcomer. but will still be an alt. If there was a story mode I'm sure she would have her own story obviously. Again Namcobandai has been doing this since the early playstation tekken days up until recently when they said screw it lets make all the once alt characters their own slot. I think we can expect to see a lot of this with characters that might not be "own slot worthy" get made as an alt of a character that makes sense.

Last edited:

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
I think Sakurai is trying to squeeze in as many "characters" as possible this time around. I consider Lucina a "character" meaning that she is her own person by name and voice etc. and she simply is not an alternate costume but an alternate character and will be treated as such in terms of marketing and on the main site. Hence her being labeled newcomer. but will still be an alt. If there was a story mode I'm sure she would have her own story obviously. Again Namcobandai has been doing this since the early playstation tekken days up until recently when they said screw it lets make all the once alt characters their own slot. I think we can expect to see a lot of this with characters that might not be "own slot worthy" get made as an alt of a character that makes sense.
i just dont want the announcer calling her marth when picked or after she wins, as that would be a slap in the face imo to people who wanted her in.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
So of Lucina can make it, and FE can get 4 reps, there is no reason why other franchises like Pokemon and Dk and Kirby and Metroid and Zelda and Mother etc can't get more.
Lucina actually makes me more confident in more newcomers. :joyful:

Stalking Fury

Smash Apprentice
So of Lucina can make it, and FE can get 4 reps, there is no reason why other franchises like Pokemon and Dk and Kirby and Metroid and Zelda and Mother etc can't get more.
Lucina actually makes me more confident in more newcomers. :joyful:
Sakurai said they were getting to the bottom of the barrel for newcomers videos, so surely it can't be many more.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
In short, the Gematsu leak wasn't 100% accurate and didn't reveal everything there was to reveal.
Pretty much this. 2 or 3 of the Brawl leaks that were legit had incorrect information on them.

It doesn't mean the entire thing is fake.

Above all else it doesn't give us a right to run their head through the mud.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA sorry I'm laughing at the wrongness/purposeful misleading of Gematsu (wouldn't you put in wrong info to trick people too?)
Really though, why doesn't ANYBODY suspect that he could be lying about some stuff?
Sal didn't mislead us, he said he wasn't sure if his source was right, and said it sounded outdated.

Sal also leaked the entire UMvC3 roster, and he's a professional. He wouldn't mislead us, and his source doesn't sound like they would. It sounds like his source is on the outside looking in with outdated information from 2 years ago. You're just a hater.

This also doesn't disprove the entire leak. In fact if we get Shulk and The Chorus Men, it will be nearly entirely right. So far it's 8 for 9, and it could go 8, 9, or 10 for 11. That's pretty good, and better than any other "leak" or "prophet".

Last edited:

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand the mindset of those insisting Lucina is a alternate character for Marth, seeing as how she is a completely separate entity in her own right. Not much is known about her yet, except she shares vague similarities with Marth. It would seem like a waste to announce her just to be an alternate character.

I do find it hilarious that people are grasping at straws with the whole "but they made Tekken!" stance seeing as how in Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Kuma and Panda were separate, in fact, all characters who were shared a slot with someone were separated like Alex, Angel, Tiger, Violet, and Miharu. This last-ditch effort by those in denial of Lucina's individuality is really sickening to read. The mobile is all I have to go on since I am presently without a computer; and Lucina is listed a newcomer is three pretty straight-forward places. Seriously, if it quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, chances are it's a duck.

There really is nothing overtly complicated about this guys, I just think the pantheons of straw graspers are in full force today. I'm expecting it to die down in the coming days.

Meanwhile, I think Robin and Lucina make great additions and any character that doesn't look cartoony with exaggerated features is welcomed with open arms. :-)

Last edited:

supersaiyanmikito

Smash Cadet
i just dont want the announcer calling her marth when picked or after she wins, as that would be a slap in the face imo to people who wanted her in.
That is what we have been trying to say, character alts don't get that. They are treated as their own characters and in the case of Tekken, even get their own storylines. However because they have the exact same moveset as another character, you select them through the character they are copying so they don't clog up the select screen.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Little Mac is not exactly the same but the rest are good examples. Giving a character an alt to look and sound like a character who fights exactly like they do. Daisy is an EXCELLENT example. She simply doesn't have what it takes to become a playable character so its possible to make her an alt for Peach. While using that costume, the announcer, the chanting crowd and in-game text refer to to Daisy instead and give her separate voice clips. Its as easy as that.
Right, that's what I'm saying. Little Mac having a skin of, say, Glass Joe just wouldn't work. They're two entirely different characters. Or MegaMan having a skin of Zero. It wouldn't work. They're too different. But ProtoMan and MegaMan are incredibly similar in a variety of ways, not just visually, so giving the same moves MegaMan uses to ProtoMan wouldn't make things weird or unbelievable, especially if ProtoMan got his own announcer, sounds, and visual effects to reflect him as a character. Same goes for Sonic and Shadow. Even in the Sonic games, Shadow controls and acts almost exactly like Sonic, except he roller skates everywhere.

People seem to be so against this idea, but I like it. It gives other characters the opportunity of being playable without the developers actually spending time creating a whole new moveset for someone who wouldn't be different enough to really deserve it.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Anyone who played the demo knows Marth is totally different playstyle-wise. All of his combos are gone, and his strengths are totally different.

Lucina seems like the Melee/Brawl Marth, especially Melee with that added speed and added multi-hit moves on her neutral Air (although her side B is a lot like Marth's Brawl side B).

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
That is what we have been trying to say, character alts don't get that. They are treated as their own characters and in the case of Tekken, even get their own storylines. However because they have the exact same moveset as another character, you select them through the character they are copying so they don't clog up the select screen.
well thats what you have been trying to say the other posts were calling her an alt skin, there be a difference

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Given that today's reveal gave us 2 characters we weren't expecting, we're probably getting more than that. Maybe a lot more.

I hope Sal tries to get more info from his source about some of our most wanted characters/features soon.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Right, that's what I'm saying. Little Mac having a skin of, say, Glass Joe just wouldn't work. They're two entirely different characters. Or MegaMan having a skin of Zero. It wouldn't work. They're too different. But ProtoMan and MegaMan are incredibly similar in a variety of ways, not just visually, so giving the same moves MegaMan uses to ProtoMan wouldn't make things weird or unbelievable, especially if ProtoMan got his own announcer, sounds, and visual effects to reflect him as a character. Same goes for Sonic and Shadow. Even in the Sonic games, Shadow controls and acts almost exactly like Sonic, except he roller skates everywhere.

People seem to be so against this idea, but I like it. It gives other characters the opportunity of being playable without the developers actually spending time creating a whole new moveset for someone who wouldn't be different enough to really deserve it.
i dont think i would like protoman done like that tbh he has a different set of moves then megaman does in several games and could use those to have his own moveset. Its kinda the same with shadow but to a lesser extent

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
8/11 with one character being part of a final smash instead of playable. Still a new fire emblem. Yeah genmatsu is totally fake :rolleyes:

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
You're just a hater.
Hahaaa... nah I don't roll that way with that jazz. Not my style. I just think it's funny that the leak is basically the only thing people talk about and then it's wrong about something. I'm just a spiteful person. Not the worst character flaw. I just have fun with these things. Mark my words, liets the ginger will never be a hater! :D

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai said they were getting to the bottom of the barrel for newcomers videos, so surely it can't be many more.
Sakurai also said that he will reveal one fighter. Sakurai is human, his opinions can change. And besides, who said that there could only be one newcomer per video? Today's reveal debunks that.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
8/11 with one character being part of a final smash instead of playable. Still a new fire emblem. Yeah genmatsu is totally fake :rolleyes:
Yeah, they are obviously the ones who are grasping at straws.
Probably not the best time to get sarcastic with Gematsu disbelievers when they clearly have an advantage. :p

EDIT:Double Post, my bad.

Last edited:

Wraeith

Smash Cadet
Anyone who played the demo knows Marth is totally different playstyle-wise. All of his combos are gone, and his strengths are totally different.

Lucina seems like the Melee/Brawl Marth, especially Melee with that added speed and added multi-hit moves on her neutral Air (although her side B is a lot like Marth's Brawl side B).
We should bear in mind that any difference between Lucina and Marth's speed could be attributed to feedback Nintendo received from E3, but I feel you're right.

One fear I had as soon as I watched the Smash 4 Invitational was that Marth was deliberately nerfed in order to shift some of his strengths to a new Fire Emblem character, be it Chrom, Lucina, or whoever else. My theory is that much of Marth's speed, aerials, and low lag was given to Lucina and instead Marth was relegated to be a slower, ground-based character in light of her appearance. Though I'm fairly certain Lucina won't have tipper, and certainly less power/KO potential. Problem with this theory is that any Marth mains will be disappointed as regardless of which aspect you prefer, it'll still be worse than Marth's previous incarnations.

Anyone else feel the same?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
We should bear in mind that any difference between Lucina and Marth's speed could be attributed to feedback Nintendo received from E3, but I feel you're right.

One fear I had as soon as I watched the Smash 4 Invitational was that Marth was deliberately nerfed in order to shift some of his strengths to a new Fire Emblem character, be it Chrom, Lucina, or whoever else. My theory is that much of Marth's speed, aerials, and low lag was given to Lucina and instead Marth was relegated to be a slower, ground-based character in light of her appearance. Though I'm fairly certain Lucina won't have tipper, and certainly less power/KO potential. Problem with this theory is that any Marth mains will be disappointed as regardless of which aspect you prefer, it'll still be worse than Marth's previous incarnations.

Anyone else feel the same?
I feel as if the shift in Marth is more due to making him like how he is in Fire Emblem 11/12.

I also think given his weight and height he couldn't be the quick super combo guy anymore, so they gave that skillset to the smaller and much quicker Lucina.

It makes a lot of sense. I felt the same thing about Chrom doing that, but Lucina's smaller frame and weight, as well as how much closer she is stylistically to Marth fits it a lot better.

It's a shame I never considered theorycrafting this for Lucina instead of Chrom. I might have had some fantastic ideas prepared! :facepalm:

Niala

Smash Ace
Sakurai also said that he will reveal one fighter. Sakurai is human, his opinions can change. And besides, who said that there could only be one newcomer per video? Today's reveal debunks that.
I think somebody posted that the translation said "a new challenger," but in the Japanese version that Sakurai posted it didn't actually say anything about there only being one new challenger, moreover that it was pretty neutral towards the amount.

On top of that, it's pretty vague anyway. I wouldn't expect Sakurai to outright say he's going to announce three challengers ahead of time, it just ruins the surprise.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
That's not an opinion change, that's at best misdirection. Most people were expecting more than one fighter to be revealed anyway though.

Last edited:

Joalro

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0189-8794-0585
If Lucina is a clone of Marth, I really hope Ike's down B is changed. I think having three Fire Emblem characters ALL have counter as their down special is... unfortunate, when there are so many movies to choose from.

If Lucina is just a character skin, then I don't mind so much.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah, they are obviously the ones who are grasping at straws.
Probably not the best time to get sarcastic with Gematsu disbelievers when they clearly have an advantage. :p
Honestly, the information was definitely true... 2 years ago, when the game was a super early rough draft.

Most of it held up. Some of it, did not. It's not too surprising, but it's REALLLLLLLY shocking we didn't get a playable Chrom at the end of this.

All this "Chom vs. Roy" debates since 2010... all for nothing!!! :laugh:

Zorgunos

Smash Rookie
I hear everyone talking about how Lucina may or may not be an alternate costume for Marth and that Chrom is part of Robin's final smash. What if Lucina is an alternate costum for Chrom and that was actually his own final smash? That would be just Sakurai's style of trolling.

I mean, I'm not familiar with the Fire Emblem games, but why do Chrom and Lucina both have the same sword?
Why is ther a '?' behind 'Lucina wakes her blade?!'
Why so much attention for Chrom if he is just part of a final smash?
They are litterally saying that he is getting his chance now instead of 'another day'.
And the caller is calling Chrom by his name as he appears.

I think he is playable himself and that Lucina is an alternate costume for him instead of Marth, or that he is just a seperate character who is not officially announced yet (which would also be a Sakurai style troll).

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
All this Lucina alternate costume/alt for Marth talk is ridiculously stupid.

She is a simple semi clone of Marth. Own slot and says newcomer on the site. What's so hard to grasp?

Niala

Smash Ace
I hear everyone talking about how Lucina may or may not be an alternate costume for Marth and that Chrom is part of Robin's final smash. What if Lucina is an alternate costum for Chrom and that was actually his own final smash? That would be just Sakurai's style of trolling.

I mean, I'm not familiar with the Fire Emblem games, but why do Chrom and Lucina both have the same sword?
They are litterally saying that he is getting his chance now instead of 'another day'.

I think he is playable himself and that Lucina is an alternate costume for him instead of Marth, or that he is just a seperate character who is not officially announced yet (which would also be a Sakurai style troll).
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/07/14/super-smash-bros-gets-four-new-fighters
Firstly, the first line of that article states that Nintendo clarified to IGN that Chrom won't be playable.

Secondly, the reason Chrom gets so much attention is because he's the closest character to a protagonist in FE: Awakening without it being the Avatar character. Up until now, every character put in Smash from a Fire Emblem game has been the protagonist of their respective games, and Chrom fits that expectation from Awakening. It's also not the announcer calling Chrom's name, but Robin. It's probably a part of their final smash, and it's something they would have done in the game they come from (although a bit flourished.)

Last edited:

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper

they have the same sword because its the same sword and time travel is involved, also chrom is apart of robins final smash

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Niala Niala is right.

Lucina is playable, Chrom isn't.

Lucina's a clone, and a clone of a great character at that. Probably not a semi-clone like Toon Link or Luigi, either.

To all other Roy fans out there, yo, he was never gonna come back as a clone. A semi-clone is probably what he would/will wind up being if he returns in Smash 4.
But Nintendo didn't make Tekken 6, so this is completely different.
But Nintendo didn't make Smash 4, Namco Bandai did, including the Tekken team.

Wraeith

Smash Cadet
All this Lucina alternate costume/alt for Marth talk is ridiculously stupid.

She is a simple semi clone of Marth. Own slot and says newcomer on the site. What's so hard to grasp?
I think most people just want to believe that Lucina is an alt/costume for Marth as no one really wants a generic clone to take up a roster slot. Also, Lucina being an alt character would leave a lot of room for other theories, not unlike Dark Pit for Pit, and Shadow for Sonic.

With that said, I do agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom