• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character to be Shown Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I would say 10% at least just cuz I'm stubborn and refuse to believe in it. I don't hate the characters mentioned, in fact they're all pretty great except for Chrom sort of (Anna for Smash!) but I hate that all the characters are being spoiled at such a high degree!
I don't even follow the Gematsu leaks! I've never read anything of what he's had to say. But it's everyone here preaching like missionaries of the Church of Gematsu that keep shoving it in my face.
I'll give you the run down of the Gematsu Leaks.

1st Leak: Before E3
  • Mega Man
  • Villager
  • Palutena
  • Little Mac
  • Wii Fit Trainer
  • Pac-Man
  • Mii
2nd Leak: After Little Mac Reveal
  • Palutena
  • Mii
  • Pac-Man
  • Shulk
  • Chorus Men
  • Chrom
3rd Leak: Before E3 2014
  • Mii Fighter
  • Same characters as before.
  • Mentions that Post Development DLC will be a thing.
  • Lucas might get cut.

Dracometeor

Smash Apprentice
How can it be 0% true if 8 of 11 characters have been true? I mean even if you aren't very good at math you should know that's more then 0...

And why does everyone assume the gematsu leak is stating that there are no other newcomers? Please bring your ignorance elsewhere. Those are only the characters he knows. Did he state there were no others? Sometimes you people scare me.... Smh

Last edited:

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
What announcement?
I dunno. People were saying that Reggie was at EVO and making an announcement of some kind. Like this person.

Did anyone see the Robot Chicken version of Reggie, behind the real Reggie, during his message?

I think they just hinted at something tonight: Robot Chicken Reggie: He'll kick your ***.
And this person...

JUST ANOUNCE THE CHARACTER AREADY!!!
implies that they were announcing a character during EVO, but I wasn't watching, so I don't know what the announcement was. If someone watching could let us know, we'd appreciate it.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
E3 2013/Gematsu leak
Before E3 2013, the owner of the gaming site Gematsu, Sal Romano, claimed to have received an email from an anonymous source claiming to know which newcomers would be introduced at E3 2013. Initially doubting the veracity of the letter, Romano jokingly posted the list to NeoGAF as a "unlikely prediction". Among the predicted newcomers were an Animal Crossing Villager; Capcom's Mega Man; the female trainer from Wii Fit; Little Mac from Punch-Out!!; Nintendo's Mii; and Namco's Pac-Man.[5]

To the surprise of many observers, including Romano himself, the leak successfully predicted the reveal of the Villager, Mega Man, and female Wii Fit Trainer; the lattermost was especially considered surprising, as Masahiro Sakurai himself stated that the character was one that "no one expected".

While Little Mac, Mii, and Pac-Man were not revealed at E3 as the email claimed, some observers believed Sakurai decided to postpone their reveal for various speculated reasons, and that the characters would be revealed later on. Little Mac was later revealed as a playable character, but some observers found this prediction less surprising than the previous ones, due to the fact that Little Mac was significantly speculated.

A few hours before the Smash 4-centered Nintendo Direct, the leaker reportedly sent another email to Romano; the contents of the email continued to claim that Pac-Man and a Mii would still be playable, as well as adding predictions for Shulk from Xenoblade Chronicles; Palutena from Kid Icarus: Uprising (tying in with another rumor); Chrom from Fire Emblem: Awakening; the Chorus Kids from Rhythm Heaven (referred to by their Japanese name of Chorus Men in the leak); and an unknown Pokémon from Pokémon X and Y. Toward the conclusion of the Nintendo Direct presentation,Greninja, who made its debut in Pokémon X and Y, was confirmed as a playable character.

A day before E3 2014, Romano received another email from the leaker. The leaker continued to claim that Miis, Pac-Man, Palutena, Chrom, Shulk, and the Chorus Kids would be playable, while not implicating any new characters, but also stated that there are plans for post-launch character DLC, and that there was internal debate about keeping either Ness or Lucas, with the latter being "likely to get the cut". During the E3 Nintendo Digital Event of 2014, Mii Fighter was confirmed as a playable character, as well as Palutena, and Pac-Man was confirmed later that day[6], confirming all characters implicated in the original leak, and leaving only Shulk, Chrom, and the Chorus Kids of the subsequent leaks left to be announced.

While the first leak's claimed characters have all been confirmed as playable, the veracity of the subsequent leaks remains unclear. While the second leak accurately slated Palutena as playable, she was a character widely expected to be playable, due to Sakurai having worked on Kid Icarus: Uprising and the presence of the "leaked" images that had been posted on multiple news sites. Additionally, while "Pokémon from Pokémon X and Y" was technically correct, the leaker's inability to specifically state Greninja and only being able to do so with a vague blanket statement was scrutinised. The leaker also never implicated Rosalina as being playable, and has never implicated anything outside newcomers that was later confirmed as correct, bringing doubt into the extent of the leaker's inside knowledge. The prevailing theories are that the leaker had legitimate information for the first leak, but made up predictions for the subsequent leaks, or the leaker had significantly outdated information. The latter is supported by the fact he could only refer to Greninja as "Pokémon from Pokémon X and Y", when Sakurai confirmed that he decided on Greninja well before the release of Pokémon X and Y (which was six months before the second leak and the Smash Direct), and the fact that only three of the original six were revealed at E3 2013, when the leaker initially said all of them would be. The leaker also just only brought up the Ness vs. Lucas debate at E3 2014 with a non-definitive answer about it, with it being highly unlikely that the roster wasn't finalised well before this, as the final few months of game development are typically devoted to balance tweaks and debugging. This however, could have been referring to earlier in development.

Sakurai's confirmation at the Roundtable that the entire roster had been decided at the beginning of development also directly contradicts the leaker's claim of an internal debate concerning Ness and Lucas, which either casts significant doubt over the entire rumor, or suggests that the information is too outdated to be accurate now.

A Sneaky Spirit, an enemy from the Rhythm Heaven series was spotted during a Smash Run demo on E3 2014. This is the first and so far only representation of the Rhythm Heaven series in Smash. So far, all Smash Run enemies come from franchises represented with characters (not counting the Subspace Emissary enemies or the Yellow Ghost, seeing that Miis are technically from Find Mii), making the appearance of a Rhythm Heaven character highly likely, although a confirmation of the Chorus Kids or other elements has yet to be seen.

On May 19, 2014 Adam Howden (who voiced Shulk in Xenoblade Chronicles), posted about his future work on Twitter:

Done some VO on several very exciting games so far this year. I'll tell you what they are when I know my balls won't be cut off for telling.
Amid this, some observers have speculated that among these projects include potentially voicing Shulk in Super Smash Bros. 4, particularly in conjunction with the Gematsu leaks, though this speculation has not yet been confirmed.
This is a well written write up of the Gematsu Leak from ssbwiki.com.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I don't understand...does you being annoyed by it make it any less correct? I understand bias is a thing but there is a list of legitimate reasons to not believe something and "cuz I don't like it" isn't one of them.
Fair enough. I suppose I worded that wrong. I'll just say this:

I don't care if Gematsu is true. The characters all look good from what I can see and that's all I really know about the leaks since I don't follow what he says.

My problem is everyone preaching the Words of Gematsu and ruining the surprise for everyone else. This thread is pretty much 40 pages of "Only characters that Gematsu listed are allowed to be speculated". It's not fun and it's not hype.

As for Rosalina not being leaked from Gematsu, I want to at least believe that there's a few more surprises to come. The characters are fine, I just hate that the surprise is being ruined. It's diluting my hype for character reveals since there's no "Whoa, I didn't see that coming" moment. (Except for Rosalina and Greninja, and the 3 from E3 2013 since I hadn't heard of the leak at that point yet.)

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
I dunno. People were saying that Reggie was at EVO and making an announcement of some kind. Like this person.

And this person...

implies that they were announcing a character during EVO, but I wasn't watching, so I don't know what the announcement was. If someone watching could let us know, we'd appreciate it.
the announcement was an award they gave to prog after the melee finals

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Well, I'm going to play the Eight Melodies on the piano, then going to bed. I'll see you all after the chaos has ended.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Fair enough. I suppose I worded that wrong. I'll just say this:

I don't care if Gematsu is true. The characters all look good from what I can see and that's all I really know about the leaks since I don't follow what he says.

My problem is everyone preaching the Words of Gematsu and ruining the surprise for everyone else. This thread is pretty much 40 pages of "Only characters that Gematsu listed are allowed to be speculated". It's not fun and it's not hype.

As for Rosalina not being leaked from Gematsu, I want to at least believe that there's a few more surprises to come. The characters are fine, I just hate that the surprise is being ruined. It's diluting my hype for character reveals since there's no "Whoa, I didn't see that coming" moment. (Except for Rosalina and Greninja, and the 3 from E3 2013 since I hadn't heard of the leak at that point yet.)
i mean you are on a board for smash in a thread about speculating a character being announced, people are gonna bring up a leak that seems very credible at this point in time.

TP8bitPyro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TPPyro
do you think they will piggyback some vet characters on this trailer I mean charizard did it on graninjas and Mr.G&W did it to pacman any thought?

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I'll give you the run down of the Gematsu Leaks.

1st Leak: Before E3
  • Mega Man
  • Villager
  • Palutena
  • Little Mac
  • Wii Fit Trainer
  • Pac-Man
  • Mii
2nd Leak: After Little Mac Reveal
  • Palutena
  • Mii
  • Pac-Man
  • Shulk
  • Chorus Men
  • Chrom
3rd Leak: Before E3 2014
  • Mii Fighter
  • Same characters as before.
  • Mentions that Post Development DLC will be a thing.
  • Lucas might get cut.
I'm sorry, but I didn't ask for a rundown of the leaks.
Though I distinctly remember it was only 6 characters in the E3 2013 leak. Palutena wasn't mentioned, was she?

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I'm sorry, but I didn't ask for a rundown of the leaks.
Though I distinctly remember it was only 6 characters in the E3 2013 leak. Palutena wasn't mentioned, was she?
Nope, your right.

E3 2013/Gematsu leak
Before E3 2013, the owner of the gaming site Gematsu, Sal Romano, claimed to have received an email from an anonymous source claiming to know which newcomers would be introduced at E3 2013. Initially doubting the veracity of the letter, Romano jokingly posted the list to NeoGAF as a "unlikely prediction". Among the predicted newcomers were an Animal CrossingVillager; Capcom's Mega Man; the female trainer from Wii Fit;Little Mac from Punch-Out!!; Nintendo's Mii; and Namco's Pac-Man.[5]

To the surprise of many observers, including Romano himself, the leak successfully predicted the reveal of the Villager, Mega Man, and female Wii Fit Trainer; the lattermost was especially considered surprising, asMasahiro Sakurai himself stated that the character was one that "no one expected".

While Little Mac, Mii, and Pac-Man were not revealed at E3 as the email claimed, some observers believed Sakurai decided to postpone their reveal for various speculated reasons, and that the characters would be revealed later on. Little Mac was later revealed as a playable character, but some observers found this prediction less surprising than the previous ones, due to the fact that Little Mac was significantly speculated.

A few hours before the Smash 4-centered Nintendo Direct, the leaker reportedly sent another email to Romano; the contents of the email continued to claim that Pac-Man and a Mii would still be playable, as well as adding predictions for Shulk from Xenoblade Chronicles; Palutena from Kid Icarus: Uprising (tying in withanother rumor); Chrom from Fire Emblem: Awakening; the Chorus Kids from Rhythm Heaven (referred to by their Japanese name of Chorus Men in the leak); and an unknown Pokémon from Pokémon X and Y. Toward the conclusion of the Nintendo Direct presentation,Greninja, who made its debut in Pokémon X and Y, was confirmed as a playable character.

A day before E3 2014, Romano received another email from the leaker. The leaker continued to claim that Miis, Pac-Man, Palutena, Chrom, Shulk, and the Chorus Kids would be playable, while not implicating any new characters, but also stated that there are plans for post-launch character DLC, and that there was internal debate about keeping either Ness or Lucas, with the latter being "likely to get the cut". During the E3 Nintendo Digital Event of 2014, Mii Fighter was confirmed as a playable character, as well as Palutena, and Pac-Manwas confirmed later that day[6], confirming all characters implicated in the original leak, and leaving only Shulk, Chrom, and the Chorus Kids of the subsequent leaks left to be announced.

While the first leak's claimed characters have all been confirmed as playable, the veracity of the subsequent leaks remains unclear. While the second leak accurately slated Palutena as playable, she was a character widely expected to be playable, due to Sakurai having worked on Kid Icarus: Uprising and the presence of the "leaked" images that had been posted on multiple news sites. Additionally, while "Pokémon from Pokémon X and Y" was technically correct, the leaker's inability to specifically state Greninja and only being able to do so with a vague blanket statement was scrutinised. The leaker also never implicated Rosalina as being playable, and has never implicated anything outside newcomers that was later confirmed as correct, bringing doubt into the extent of the leaker's inside knowledge. The prevailing theories are that the leaker had legitimate information for the first leak, but made up predictions for the subsequent leaks, or the leaker had significantly outdated information. The latter is supported by the fact he could only refer to Greninja as "Pokémon from Pokémon X and Y", when Sakurai confirmed that he decided on Greninja well before the release of Pokémon X and Y (which was six months before the second leak and the Smash Direct), and the fact that only three of the original six were revealed at E3 2013, when the leaker initially said all of them would be. The leaker also just only brought up the Ness vs. Lucas debate at E3 2014 with a non-definitive answer about it, with it being highly unlikely that the roster wasn't finalised well before this, as the final few months of game development are typically devoted to balance tweaks and debugging. This however, could have been referring to earlier in development.

Sakurai's confirmation at the Roundtable that the entire roster had been decided at the beginning of development also directly contradicts the leaker's claim of an internal debate concerning Ness and Lucas, which either casts significant doubt over the entire rumor, or suggests that the information is too outdated to be accurate now.

A Sneaky Spirit, an enemy from the Rhythm Heaven series was spotted during a Smash Run demo on E3 2014. This is the first and so far only representation of the Rhythm Heaven series in Smash. So far, all Smash Run enemies come from franchises represented with characters (not counting the Subspace Emissary enemies or the Yellow Ghost, seeing that Miis are technically from Find Mii), making the appearance of a Rhythm Heaven character highly likely, although a confirmation of the Chorus Kids or other elements has yet to be seen.

On May 19, 2014 Adam Howden (who voiced Shulk in Xenoblade Chronicles), posted about his future work on Twitter:

Done some VO on several very exciting games so far this year. I'll tell you what they are when I know my balls won't be cut off for telling.
Amid this, some observers have speculated that among these projects include potentially voicing Shulk inSuper Smash Bros. 4, particularly in conjunction with the Gematsu leaks, though this speculation has not yet been confirmed.
Here is a WAY better write up on Gematsu Leak on SSBWIKI.com.

viridi

Smash Cadet
NNID
nessearthbound
I'm afraid that if I go to sleep I'll oversleep and will miss the chance to watch smashboards crash see the video live

Xenorange

Smash Lord
it was to honor him since he is retiring from commentating
I get that, and I didn't mean any disrespect to Prog. I was just saying that, at least on the EVO schedule they had announcements and awards written down for later tonight. I'm thinking that would count as an award. Not that I expect anything interesting to be announced at this point though.

Last edited:

PirateHaxx

Smash Cadet
Lol i set an alarm for the live stream, so i will wake up just for that, than fall back to sleep.

Tho if the hype is too high, guess i wont be sleeping xD

kylexv

Smash Master
Well, 12 hours remain.

I won't be watching it live, but I hope for somebody other than Shulk. If it is, I will be disappointed.

Booster

Smash Lord
Well, 12 hours remain.

I won't be watching it live, but I hope for somebody other than Shulk. If it is, I will be disappointed.
Why is everybody hating on the idea of Shulk being announced? He's the poster boy for JRPGs of Last Gen, he's the Mario for us RPG fans

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Meanwhile, I'm just waiting on it to get a bit later so I can turn in. Would take a nap for an hour or so, but it's *just* loud enough in the house to keep me awake.

Why is everybody hating on the idea of Shulk being announced? He's the poster boy for JRPGs of Last Gen, he's the Mario for us RPG fans
I think people just want to be surprised by this big, super-hyped reveal, but still want him in.

Last edited:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Gah, seeing all these "I'm going to sleep" posts is making me even more buttpained than I already am. Almost 12 hours of sleep deprivation for me instead. See you guys at midnight! (:crying:)

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
To me, it seems like Sakurai is wanting (for some reason) to avoid what happened with Ness in Smash 64 and Marth + Roy in Melee. They came out, mainly, of nowhere to the western audience. He's making trailers like this to introduce people to fighters that they might not know of (or at least be familiar to their franchise, with the exception of Rosalina + Greninja + third party characters).

Actually, I don't know, really. I'm racking my brain to find a reason behind the possibility of introducing the audience to these potentially lesser-known-franchise characters like Chorus Men, Shulk, etc. and not all of the franchises with characters that many people would probably expect to be expanded upon.

For example, Little Mac to the eastern audience, and Shulk probably to the western audience. Even then, this thought process has some potential holes in it like Rosalina and Greninja. I understand that they're newer characters to these franchises, thus they could be less recognizable. However the fact that these two come from more well-known franchises, and each receiving newcomer trailers, makes me question this thought process.

In the end, I hope for a non-Gematsu character. This is not that I don't think I'll enjoy them though, because I probably will.

However, I just feel that it will be one of the remaining Gematsu characters, thus perpetuating the whole Gematsu ordeal here on Smash Boards (or worse, intensifying it).

I just don't know what else to say.

Most of the Smash audience aren't like us. They might not speculate or search online (probably due to time, will-power, interest, or important reasons) fervently for new Smash-related information. Smash Boards has roughly 100,000 members. Brawl sold roughly 12,000,000 copies. Just keep this in perspective, as most of these people probably would have no idea who some of these Gematsu-leaked characters are. Effectively, the trailer of Shulk will probably be a surprise to them, if and when they see it. Sometimes I think we forget that Nintendo thinks more of the whole rather than the vocal and active minority (who are people like us [not implying that all of us do this] that actively [whenever possible] search Smash-related information, and are, most likely due to activity online, aware of the Gematsu leak and its characters).

It's thoughts like these that are preventing me from believing that it won't be one of the Gematsu characters.

Even though I'd like it not to be, just to change these strange and almost-negative vibes I'm receiving from Smash Boards.

Last edited:

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman

And this person...

I knew there was going to be no character announced. Apparently, this is a very serious matter to you, and you can't tell the difference between a joke, and actual fact regarding new characters. Either that, or you're very confused.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
[collapse= Huge images ahoy!]

[/collapse]

What, Mario's not Mario enough for you? :p

Booster

Smash Lord
[collapse= Huge images ahoy!]

[/collapse]

What, Mario's not Mario enough for you? :p
Really I'd like a serious answer, people are fine with over 10 ****ing Mario characters (If you count the Donkey Kong characters as Mario characters), but then they decide to put in one of the characters from Xenoblade Chronicles and APPARENTLY that goes too far.

Dracometeor

Smash Apprentice
I mean I agree with everything you said.... but "the Mario"? NEVER compare the gigamammoth of gaming and epitome of all that is good of Nintendo who is my personal favorite character of all time to a lowly one time infant of a character. No disrespect for Shulk, but seriously?....

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
This is very similar to the pre-smash direct hype, when the xenoblade producer or whoever from monolith tweeted about it, so everyone expected a shulk reveal...

My point... Shulk isn't a shoe in for this announcement.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I set my alarm for an hour before the reveal (in other words, 0900 EST)
I'm stoked. At this point I don't care who it is, I just know I'll be more hyped if it's non-gematsu (I don't like predictability, I'm not saying anything about the legitimacy of the leak).

I'll still be hyped if it's gematsu related.
Even Ridley, though I'm a detractor.

New characters = new characters = hype.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
Really I'd like a serious answer, people are fine with over 10 ****ing Mario characters (If you count the Donkey Kong characters as Mario characters), but then they decide to put in one of the characters from Xenoblade Chronicles and APPARENTLY that goes too far.
Chill out, good sir. I never said I didn't want Shulk in. I'd be happy to see him in. I just found your statement that Shulk is the Mario of RPGs funny and ironic since the Mario of RPGs should be.... you know, Mario.

Booster

Smash Lord
Chill out, good sir. I never said I didn't want Shulk in. I'd be happy to see him in. I just found your statement that Shulk is the Mario of RPGs funny and ironic since the Mario of RPGs should be.... you know, Mario.
I know, I'm tired and say stupid **** when I'm tired, as does everybody else from time to time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom