• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NC Catfish Social Thread! *<3 KEV*

Hypn0tic_Specter

Smash Rookie
Yeah, Jiggs has been getting a little difficult for me as well. I kinda feel Like I hit a roadblock with her or something. Started messing around with different characters to practice general techskill and wound up having a lot of fun with Shiek. I think Spoon wanted to hit me earlier today when I told him that. XD

theAPExp

Smash Ace
i feel jiggs hits a roadblock earlier than most people
cause her tech level isn't so high
i would say the next thing to do is get better at spacing
setting up baits and punishments
and paying really close attention to matchup details
it was for me anyway

null55

Smash Master
how do you feel road-blocked with Jiggz when your spacing isn't pro...

you can always improve spacing as a lower-level player slash find more creative ways to punish... ©.©

theAPExp

Smash Ace
i think i shall pertain to enter a possible internet arguement
i shall respond to a post for which i don't even fully understand what my predecessor is trying to say
and go about this in a 3 point fashion

1st. respond to a post that was made with direct responses and logic

you can be roadblocked with jiggs cause your spacing isn't pro
bad spacing with jiggs can make you feel roadblocked, so work on your spacing

and yes you can always work on spacing regardless of skill level?
it's just that jiggs players will do this from pretty much the mastery of the tech level, which is early, till they quit playing jiggs. most other characters typically go back and forth with tech skill, fundamentals, back to tech skill, back to fundamentals, and so forth as the need arises based upon their overall skill level

2nd. i shall use no logic at all

carrots are a fine example of this. people occasionally eat the baby carrots over the larger whole carrots, which i heard, and will not confirm, are soaked in chlorine to maintain their shape. jiggs is just like the tractor used in this metaphor as she/he/it represents how rest is good in teams as any 2v1 should always shoot for a rest kill.

3rd. i shall insult my predecessor, possibly with observations that lead to direct conclusions

i see that you have symbols in your location that may or may not, and i will not confirm, to be japanese or anime in origin. therefore i conclude that you like anime and are an anime "nerd" with your animemoonspeak logic.

anime

to conclude:
and so, with all points made and met i shall conclude my post and await his response in which i shall read only information that i choose to. thus picking out random sentences that have no overlying connection to the rebuttal he made and continue a mockery of grammar, logic, and life in general.

*CT*

Smash Lord
stingers, if i have any advice about choosing a character --> choose the one you love to play the most (beyond winning -_-;; ).

luckily, i fell deeply, deeply in love with a ridiculously amazing character.
Fox....Fox....Fox...Fox

64....Melee....Brawl....Brawl+

null55

Smash Master
1st. respond to a post that was made with direct responses and logic

you can be roadblocked with jiggs cause your spacing isn't pro
bad spacing with jiggs can make you feel roadblocked, so work on your spacing

and yes you can always work on spacing regardless of skill level?
it's just that jiggs players will do this from pretty much the mastery of the tech level, which is early, till they quit playing jiggs. most other characters typically go back and forth with tech skill, fundamentals, back to tech skill, back to fundamentals, and so forth as the need arises based upon their overall skill level
what.

@ the lower level thing, i was talking about the threshold from low-level to high-level play. is it not true that spacing defines that? and when your spacing is great, and you understand how to manipulate your opponent based on where you are positioned, you ****, and the character becomes far more entertaining. it's a matter of sticking with it.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
maaaaalk we should smash some time if you want. i went even with D-shep today, but i still need legit sheik practice. he's good for spacie practice, but his sheik is weird.

DAftFlip

Smash Journeyman
PP what did you think of the Formula for my rankings proposal. I was over Travis's place this weekend and I was talking to Brian, he's great at those formulaic problems and he said before he gives me what he came up with that we should talk about what the K factor should be.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Formula's for rankings are stupid.
I think most of the ones people have come up with are, but if a really good one could be constructed, I think it would really help the panelists make their decisions (I don't think the list that the formula generates should automatically be thought of as the final draft).

Imo, although it can be done, it's hard to properly factor in things like attendance, what wins/losses count more, which tournaments count more (and how much more) than others, etc.

The thing about a formula (a good one) is that the outcome is guaranteed unbiased. I dunno, it would be cool anyway.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
It would be cool and an interesting comparison, but I firmly believe it can't be done.

I'm willing to use it to assess anything the panel could possibly overlook though.

lord karn

Smash Master
I definitely think it could be done, but I don't know how to program, nor would I want to put in the time. However, it seems like there would be a high probability that it could be programmed wrongly, so we would always need to look it over.

DAftFlip

Smash Journeyman
Well the Elo ranking system seems to work for pro tennis, golf, chess, football, etc ...

So it doesn't seem to stupid to me. My friend Brian is a programer and he's legit. The only real problem
in the end would be attendance. It would be your job to attend as many events as possible to improve your ranking. Don't knock it if you haven't even seen what it can do yet.

lord karn

Smash Master
I'll give an overview of what I think a program should do to figure out the powerrankings.

First, you have to input every player who has entered a tournament in the ranking period. Second, you have to input every person each player has beaten and lost to. The system will then have to analyze the information. Beating other players who beat a lot of other people will be beneficial, whereas beating players who didn't beat anyone won't really matter. In this way the system must be progressive. The number of people you beat does not matter so much as who you beat. Doing it this way (the way I already try to do it in my head) makes attendance not really a big problem. If you don't show up to tournaments, you don't get a chance to beat good players and prove that you should be ranked highly.

There are a few places where we would have to assign values to things. We need to decide if sets from bigger tournaments should have a higher weight, should winning 2-1 count differently than winning 2-0, should more recent results count more, should repeated sets between players have less weight than sets against different people, etc. All of these things you simply have to assign a value to, and I'm not exactly sure on the way each of these should count. However, I don't think any of these things should be given a drastically higher/lower weight than the baseline. Another thing is previous PRs, which I will get to later.

The only real problem with this kind of a program is OOS players. Potentially, if they beat enough of our good players, then beating the OOS player would help you in this system, but it usually won't really be very accurate. The only ideal answer to this is for there to be a similar ranking system for each region, and we would import the OOS players data, but that's not going to happen. I think the only real answer is for the panel to assign a value for beating that player.

It's also important to note that the same problem arises for good players in region who only show up to like one tournament. For instance, if LoZR showed up to like one random Duke tournament that didn't have many good players at it and lost to one player, the current system would not even count that player having beaten LoZR as that important. However, LoZR is obviously really good, so beating him should count for something. The way around this problem is to count previous PRs at a very low weight for deciding the next PRs. This way, even if some of our good players don't show up to tournaments, beating these players in tournament would still give other players an advantage (as it should) in being placed highly in the next PR.

This also solves another subtle problem in PRs in general. If you are a highly ranked player, you are seeded highly. If you are seeded highly, you don't fight other good players until later in the tournament. This means that the highly seeded players don't get as much data vs. good players, even if they show up to tournaments. This means that an up and coming good player of skill 5 would have a better chance of being ranked highly than the already good player of skill 5. This affects the middle area of the PRs much more than it does the top or the bottom. Giving past PRs a very low weight solves this, though.

DJRome

Smash Hero
as prs stand now, how sets are counted rely heavily on past prs. so unless a comprehensive approach is used, i can't see how that could ever be removed

Top Bottom