• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NC Catfish Social Thread! *<3 KEV*

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
Ledger, you said you agree with everything rome said and you were one of the initial people arguing... So perhaps you could shed some light on my questions above?? Seems like we've hit a snag here.
What snag? Other than in the use of a debate in which avoiding the use of the word is difficult and meaningless, find ONE other time you've ever seen me use the N word in this entire forum. It so happens that my preference is aligned with yours, I would personally prefer to cover my bases and not insult anyone by never saying it in an open forum.

But that's my preference. I was merely arguing about the correctness in a mass censorship.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
haha I'm not denying that ledger. :) I'm just commenting on how initially everything was 100% totally justified and proper, it wasn't even an argument even bro! This whole time the discussion has turned into what my opposition sees fit, when we weren't even talking about that **** in the first place.. Which is probably why Blackchis, Ace, and I were astounded when every one stepped out of line and started debating the issue. There's nothing to debate......which is what I've been saying...........

null55

Smash Master
on a lighter note, i had a great conversation with my mother concerning this subject:

Me (from the other room): hey mom, do you think i should be banned from saying the word ******?
Mom: yes.
Me (now in the room): why?
Mom: because it's disre––––
Me: alright shutup ******. *runs back into the other room*

lord karn

Smash Master
I think everyone in this discussion should go watch the south park episode about ***s/bikers. . .

I think it has a very interesting point to make about this whole ordeal.

null55

Smash Master
btw, this is all i'm saying about this issue, we're holding each other back as a species by dividing ourselves like this. that's it. getting past the word ****** i feel is the ultimate uniting of white and black. no on who says the n word here is trying to reignite the feelings of slavery, it's simply a matter of saying, "hey, we're all humans, and we're looking towards the future."

the end.

EDIT: now the only thing someone's gonna say is "alright, tell that to all those blacks in harlem" ... of course i'm not going to. i'm going to use discretion until they grow up. yes i said it. grow up. we live in a different time. get your **** out of the 19th/20th century so we can just progress already, god****. this is not just about comedy or w/e. it's about unity.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
considering the fact that when the steep majority of african americans hear the word ******, they don't think of the "future", i would pose that it would be infinitely easier and more respectful to do away with the word as a whole, than to try to use the word in a comical manner. i think that if someone who is using the word to look to the future, has enough intelligence to think about what the word embodies and not use it.

i would say that such words that alienate people would cease to exist, making us all humans. not the perpetuation of all words that single people out. keeping everything thats meant to alienate but trying to use it in a way that doesn't seems like a good way to get everyone together, but i think the overall accepted path to uniting people, is to take away the things that divided us.

null55

Smash Master
NO. i do not agree. why would you try dispel something from existence and keep it even more taboo and hidden (making it MORE cursed) when you can just CHANGE IT, so all anyone does is laugh at it?

why can't you just take this made-up word that embodies pain, and change it to embody something good instead of cast it into the depths and make it worse?

trying to hide this word is keeping the grudge alive. i think if someone has enough intelligence to understand how little those times really have to mean as we move into the future, they just wouldn't really care about the skin of their white neighbor and we could just hold hands and ****.

i think that's the best method for unity, and i'll leave it at that. i'm done repeating this ****.

null55

Smash Master
i know. it was made up from latin roots that DO NOT have literal negative meanings and was used to symbolize something negative.

i.e. it has the potential to NOT mean those things. like when i refer to "my nigg@" i'm not calling him a dirty black slave, i'm calling him my GOOD FRIEND. god, wtf.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i'm not saying its a bad method of unity. i think it would be great if everyone could just change every single demeaning word in history and make it the name of the next invented dessert or whatever you would have do with the word. i'm just saying that it doesn't really work that well.

and if it did, the A ending was the distinct attempt at it, and i think overall, that worked. the problem lies in when you change something and make it a better, less demeaning word, that some people like to bring up and use the original word.

i think overall, what you want happened. ****** changed to *****, which has a much different connotation to it. why you must attempt to do the same to ****** is truly and honestly beyond me.

sometimes, the past needs to stay in the past.

edit: ****ING EXACTLY CAM! i'm not arguing against the general usage of nigg@. i'm arguing against the wholehearted use of ******. if you call me your ****** guess what...i don't think you're meaning good friend anymore.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
I agree. If we instead work to get the definition changed to it's polar opposite, "Friend," then all the hatred will be unfound, the word will be a beacon for unity and acceptance. It will become folly to use it in the negative standard anymore because it won't even make sense to.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
so then...why are people perpetually using the negative standard "******" anymore? thats all i don't get :(

and please don't give me this "because we can! we have freedom of speech! it'll take my freedom of thought if i can't!" stuff. really...

DJRome

Smash Hero
[Peter Gunz]
New York *****z got crazy game
But outta town *****z is all the same
Brooklyn *****z get crazy loot
That's because when it's beef they ain't scared to shoot
Harlem *****z know how to play
Mack the 600, gettin crazy pay
*****z outta Queens got **** on lock
Strapped with the glock, runnin up in yo' spot

[Lord Tariq]
But if it wasn't for the Bronx
this rap **** probably never would be going on
so tell me where you from?
PG: Uptown baby, uptown baby
PG: We gets down baby, up for the crown baby

edit: chris, it does have a different meaning. sometimes people are using the alternate meaning. whether it's for an appropriate purpose is of course debatable

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
if you're using an alternate meaning, then why not say nigg@, the word created as the alternate meaning? i think i may have gotten ledger to see this, so i might be able to get you too. some would say that ****** can be friendly or funny. if you ask a black dude that doesn't play the gamecube competitively, i can almost assure you he would not be among these people. while you say that intention is the only thing that matters, linguistics and history beg to differ.

as an asian, how the **** did you just decide "oh, ****** can mean the same thing as nigg@". yeah i said it. i feel that those who the words are meant to offend should decide whats offensive or not. and by and large, ****** only has one meaning. if you intend to be "friendly" with it, what you really meant to say was nigg@.

words are still created with intentions. the intention of a person does not necessarily change the intention of a word. if you mean to be comical/friendly, there is a word for that. if you mean to be derogatory, there is a word for that. in black culture, there is no gray area, whether you free thinkers want to make one or not.

Gardevior

Smash Lord
I agree. If we instead work to get the definition changed to it's polar opposite, "Friend," then all the hatred will be unfound, the word will be a beacon for unity and acceptance. It will become folly to use it in the negative standard anymore because it won't even make sense to.
QFT.

10qfts

null55

Smash Master
Chris, that's a stupid point because i already countered it. WHY, IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE OFFENDED, WOULD YOU ****ING GIVE ONE VARIATION OF THE WORD A MEANING THAT WOULD ALLOW A RACIST PEACE OF **** TO OFFEND YOU!?!?! YOU'RE THE ONE WHO MAKES THE ****ING NUANCE.

now i'm done with this because it's real annoying yo.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
yo pp...

i am not giving my opinion on the previous 3 pages

:)
XDDDDDD

I'm surprised this thread survived since I honestly expected it to be closed when I came back on here.

I'm going to leave myself out of this as well. I've already talked to some of you about this anyway.

Finishing up on everything, it's a good thing you all gave up when you did. Now please leave one another alone.

pleaaaase

Btw no one hates anyone over this issue.....it's probably more of a "you offended me with the way you argued" type thing. If we realize that this issue that never tore us apart before won't do that to us now, then we can all get along like before. I would be extremely sad if NC smash became divided over any hot topic.

Also, WHY WON'T YOU GUYS GET THIS MOTIVATED OVER MELEE????

sigh

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Too bad it's not literal division, Zero. I do love the way you do that thing though. You know the one. =) =)

I might btw.

Edit: Ledger you can still work on tech skill. Omni says he plays occasionally.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
i would suggest using vm's, or if you must use pm's just forward a copy of all the messages to me :)
Ok, Fiz you and me can debate why you searched through all of my posts for over an hour and a half looking for proof that I regularly "get upset and mention fighting" only to find 1 instance where I stated that I would have restrained Knorr to prevent him from hurting Bill, and 2-3 posts in a thread labeled "ever gotten into a fight?"

Then we can debate why you talking **** about me on someone else's visitor page is none of my business.

<3 :chuckle:

DAftFlip

Smash Journeyman
I'll disrespect you for disrespecting people who disrespect you for encouraging people not to disrespect others.

Wut.

(respect, yo.)
Dorsey I just think that this is funny so don't think that I'm making fun of you or anything.
I'm not. But ph00t this was thee most GDLK response I've heard in a while lololol

Top Bottom