• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NC Catfish Social Thread! *<3 KEV*

lord karn

Smash Master
as prs stand now, how sets are counted rely heavily on past prs. so unless a comprehensive approach is used, i can't see how that could ever be removed
It could easily be removed. . . just don't count the past PRs at all. There would be a subtle bias against past PRd players, actually, because they would be seeded highly and thus not get as much data. However, this bias is very small, and is more a problem of lack of data moreso than an actual bias. You could also say that this is not a bias of past PRs, but a bias in the way tournaments are seeded. Counting past PRs is a counter-bias to make the system more accurate.

DJRome

Smash Hero
i wish we could just have some authority figure say, this is the point system and that is that no arguments :)

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
We don't have one.

But these arguments help build a better system. It can only lead to greater things.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
OMG I read "I'm feeling fat, and sassy" and memories came flooding in...

wow that was like 11th or 12th grade for me when that came out!

I didn't even click on the link and I know you're quoting Rejected.

Too Too Good.

EDIT: OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMFFFGGGGGG that snowmen thing is PERFECT!!

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Well, that was an interesting, enlightening insight on the day and the life of PB&J.

There needs to be more topic like that, to be honest. With less rage posting, and more lulz posting. The reason that topic closed was because it was a topic hating on a user. Can't let that happen.

But I enjoyed what fun could be had in it, though. You?

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
It had me laughing for quite a while, but I was also getting upset that such a person exists in the smash community.

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
I, after having gotten home from a horrible day at work, in which I got home at 1:30 in the morning; proceeded to read ALL 40 or so pages of that thread.

It was just what I needed. More reminders of the dregs of humanity.

BEHR

Smash Hero
**** that ***** in the *** with a rubber hose i dont give a hsit dan ****ing cocksucer.

Yuh bit ch now what aiiiiiiiiyeee 1

JK

Just saying

Spoon

Smash Journeyman
I was showing my friend Brawl+ the other day

and I was trying to explain how inferior it was by comparing it to chicks

Melee's the chick that you have to get to know to appreciate, the one who's real and down to earth and has natural beauty, while Brawl+ is the cheap **** that everyone can play

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
Lol, I have to agree with Stingers on this one. A high learning curve isn't what makes a game good.

The difficulty of a combo doesn't change the options that the defensive player has to escape it. B+ skips the necessity of technical ability and goes straight to the "good stuff." Just because anyone can do basic combos doesn't mean they'll be able to do much of anything against someone with the experience to escape them. It actually takes practice and quick reflexes to keep the combos going. In that respect, it is very similar to Melee.

Not saying a technical barrier isn't a good things, necessarily, it adds depth and makes maneuvers more impressive. But they didn't want to make Melee 2.

Your analogy fails. A closer example would be Melee representing the hot chick down the street who loves to wash her car with barely any clothing on to get people's attention, then once she gets a boyfriend, you find out that she's really high maintenance and has very expensive tastes, but is otherwise a freaking awesome lay and she's loyal.

B+ is the nerdy anime chick that follows/stalks you at school that you feel bad for so you finally give her a shot with a pity date, but then you find out that she's actually not that that bad, and after a few dates, you find out that she's totally low key, funny, colorful, and also a freaking awesome lay.

Moophobia

Smash Champion
lol, I Have To Agree With Stingers On This One. A High Learning Curve Isn't What Makes A Game Good.

The Difficulty Of A Combo Doesn't Change The Options That The Defensive Player Has To Escape It. B+ Skips The Necessity Of Technical Ability And Goes Straight To The "good Stuff." Just Because Anyone Can Do Basic Combos Doesn't Mean They'll Be Able To Do Much Of Anything Against Someone With The Experience To Escape Them. It Actually Takes Practice And Quick Reflexes To Keep The Combos Going. In That Respect, It Is Very Similar To Melee.

Not Saying A Technical Barrier Isn't A Good Things, Necessarily, It Adds Depth And Makes Maneuvers More Impressive. But They Didn't Want To Make Melee 2.

Your Analogy Fails. A Closer Example Would Be Melee Representing The Hot Chick Down The Street Who Loves To Wash Her Car With Barely Any Clothing On To Get People's Attention, Then Once She Gets A Boyfriend, You Find Out That She's Really High Maintenance And Has Very Expensive Tastes, But Is Otherwise A Freaking Awesome Lay And She's Loyal.

B+ Is The Nerdy Anime Chick That Follows/stalks You At School That You Feel Bad For So You Finally Give Her A Shot With A Pity Date, But Then You Find Out That She's Actually Not That That Bad, And After A Few Dates, You Find Out That She's Totally Low Key, Funny, Colorful, And Also A Freaking Awesome Lay.
Lol
Lolololol
Lolololololololol
Lololololololololololol

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
hmm i'm sure there are many people true to brawl that hate what they've done to it.

i haven't really played either enough to know.

but in one, ganon is the worst character. in the other, he's like high tier or something. so theres my vote :-\

DAftFlip

Smash Journeyman
Is that a Garfield quote?

Guessing hardbody right now.
LMFAOOOOO!!!!!

Karn - awesome post.

I'm giving up on even trying to do something with the system I was proposing. People
have given nothing but bad feed back and in a way they are right.

I'll give it to PP and he can do whatever with it. I hope you enjoy your HOLIDAYS CATFISH !!!!!
Merry ChristmaHunaKwanzika !!!! And a HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Sorry, Felipe. I personally think the PRs are something that are needed to be discussed and thought through. Not something that uses equations and numbers (besides the final 1-10)

DAftFlip

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, Felipe. I personally think the PRs are something that are needed to be discussed and thought through. Not something that uses equations and numbers (besides the final 1-10)
It's all good Dark Hart. I was taking a stab in the dark. Didn't expect it to
catch on or something. It's a really complicated system. I mean I woul have a
program where you imput the numbers and the rest is done for you but it's still not
for Smash. Would've been cool. But again not for Smash.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
It would be more conducive to the community if there was a system in place that someone upon immediate inspection could very clearly understand exactly how the positions were decided upon. Deciding PR's via discussion and thought is much easier to convey then simply saying "We used this algorithm. Wikipedia it or gtfo."

Spoon

Smash Journeyman
Your analogy fails. A closer example would be Melee representing the hot chick down the street who loves to wash her car with barely any clothing on to get people's attention, then once she gets a boyfriend, you find out that she's really high maintenance and has very expensive tastes, but is otherwise a freaking awesome lay and she's loyal.

B+ is the nerdy anime chick that follows/stalks you at school that you feel bad for so you finally give her a shot with a pity date, but then you find out that she's actually not that that bad, and after a few dates, you find out that she's totally low key, funny, colorful, and also a freaking awesome lay.
Whaaaat XD sure you don't have em switched around?

Yeah I'll take the person being themselves over the person trying to be something else.
Which is why Brawl+ needs so many hacks and textures to try and be herself, eh? XD

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
Lol, fine, I'll explain the analogy. Melee is very impressive to watch, and high level competitive play tends to draw in people to want to play the game too. After playing it for an hour though, it should be blatantly obvious how difficult the game is at first attempt. It takes hours of dedication to learn the tech and apply it properly, then it takes a ton of work to learn the very complicated matchups. But it's very rewarding to do so and the end result is a **** experience.

B+ is bright, shiny, and relatively simple. It draws people in because it's relatively so much EASIER to control your character. You skip all of that tech skill grinding and matchup research (matchups in Brawl/+ are pretty lol compared to the ones in Melee), and get right to the actual game part. You don't forget how to play, there isn't much to remember, and it's just plain fun to play.

EDIT: Both are competitively viable because they include the fundamentals of all the Smash games, things like spacing, mindgames/prediction, approaching, DI, etc.

Top Bottom