• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My custom moveset analyses (Recently added: Ike)

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
If you hold B, it hits harder. Kills at freaking 90% and it still moves fast enough to frame trap people.

JoeInky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JoeInky
3DS FC
4596-9442-7695
I will never do Falco's

Falco
This time is Falco, the best member of Team Starfox, and a smash fan favourite, though he feels pretty underwhelming in this game due to universal efforts to nerf projectiles in Smash 4, leaving his blaster to be pretty bad. And, despite the fact that he's a bird, his aerials feel worse than Fox's but his ground game feels a bit better, should have been the other way round!

Neutral Special 1 (Hyper Laser)

Falco fires his trademark blue laser, I honestly can't remember playing him much in Brawl, but I think the range might have decreased, going only 3/4s of the way across Battlefield.

Falco's laser actually causes hitstun, unlike Fox's, and it does 3% damage, but it fires very slowly and has quite significant end lag, so it doesn't feel great to use.

Knockback is set and negligible, you can't kill with it even at 999%.

Neutral Special 2 (Arwing Charge Shot)

This time, Falco's laser will fire green, energy-based explosives, much like an Arwing does when you hold the fire button.

Though this move doesn't home in, it does have a lot of other differences compared to the default laser.

First of all, the initial projectile pushes people away, usually to the position where the projectile is going to explode, then it starts to do 1% a hit and then finally it explodes for an extra 2%, doing a total of 6%

The distance is just over a quarter of Battlefield, so it's not much use as a zoning tool anymore, but it stays on stage for a bit so it could be useful as stage control, though the endlag is slightly increased, so maybe not.

The knockback on the explosion is negligible, though not set, it does more knockback at higher percents, but not enough to kill, even at 999%

if it explodes on the opposite side of the player, it will knock them towards you and you can combo it into a smash attack or aerial, but the endlag makes sure the window is very tight and that you can only do it in really specific situations.

Neutral Special 3 (Blaster)

Similar to Fox's Blaster, does no hitstun or knockback, damage is only 1% and the range is slightly lower but you can fire it somewhat quicker.

Endlag is slightly lower but not enough to make up for the damage loss or the lack of hitstun.

Side Special 1 (Falco Phantasm)

Falco zips across the screen horizontally, equal to half the distance of Battlefield and doing 7% damage to anyone caught in the move.

Does minor vertical knockback if you hit someone whilst you're both grounded, not being able to kill Samus until way over 350%, but if you hit someone whilst you're airborne then you're able to kill at the "low" pecent of 310%.

If you hit an airborne person whilst you yourself are in the air, you will instead meteor the other person, though it doesn't really have a good KO power until around 125%.

This move no longer puts you into special fall compared to other games in the series, but it can only be used once per airtime.

Side Special 2 (Falco Apparition)

Exactly the same as the default, except instead of doing damage and knockback, he does nothing but go through people and projectiles without taking damage.

The startup is quicker but the endlag is seemingly longer.

Side Special 3 (Heavy Phantasm)

Goes about half the distance, but does increased damage and knockback.

The damage is increased to 12% at close range though it does go down to 4% and the now diagonal knockback can kill Samus around 180%.

The fact that it's only good at close range yet has higher startup than the default means I don't rate this custom very highly, it at least has some armour on it that lets you destroy projectiles whilst you're moving, but I don't think it's enough, the damage shouldn't have been made to go down over distance.

Up Special 1 (Fire Bird)

Falco charges for a second and then flies in the direction the stick is pressed.

Very similar to Fox's recovery, except Falco's is multihit during the flying part whereas Fox's is single hit.

Does 10% damage if all hits during the charge connect and a further 17% if all hits on the flying part connect, the final hit does increased knockback but it's definitely not useful as a KO move as it can't kill Samus at any reasonable percent (she will live way past 350%)

Up Special 2 (Fast Fire Bird)

Goes a similar distance to the default (may be slightly less), but Falco doesn't bother charging this time, instead shooting in the direction the stick is held almost instantly.

The tradeoff is that it does barely any damage, none on the charge and only 2% on the second part, the knockback is vertical and it's much much weaker than the default (it can't even knock Samus onto the top platform of Battlefield at 350%).

Somewhat interesting is that, if you use it on the ground and point it in a horizontal direction, it becomes very similar to the Falco Phantasm, except with less end lag, though it's obviously not a replacement for the move, it is quite fun to keep darting across the stage with it.

Up Special 3 (Explosive Bird)

Takes longer to charge and goes further than the default, but it does it slower and loses the more powerful hit at the end of the move, replacing it with a more powerful hit at the end of the charging animation.

The charging no longer does damage, but the flying is still multihit and will do 8% if all hits connect, the explosion at the start of the flying portion will do 8% and very slightly higher knockback than the default, but still not enough to kill anyone below 300%.

Down Special 1 (Reflector)

Falco still kicks his reflector, doing 5% damage and having a chance to cause tripping.

It reflects back projectiles with a 1.2x damage modifier.

Down Special 2 (Force Reflector)

This reflector only does 2% on hit (can still cause tripping), and it no longer has a damage multiplier for reflected projectiles, but the projectiles it does reflect move much faster, making it harder for the other player to react to it.

Down Special 3 (Heavy Reflector)

This reflector actually makes projectiles weaker, multiplying their damage by 0.7x, but it gains increased damage and knockback.

It does 9% damage and it can no longer cause tripping, but it does have improved knockback compared to the other two, launching people diagonally upwards.

That's not the say this can be used as a killing move though, as Samus can still survive a hit from it up to 231%

Final Thoughts

The majority of Falco's moves are a bit boring, his custom Arwing-style charge shot is fun though, I have the same opinion as with fox that if a projectile move has high endlag, it better have good enough damage or hitstun or stage control to make it worth it, other wise it's just awful. Which is why the custom that makes Falco's Blaster similar to Fox's bad, it just isn't worth it in my opinion.

The Reflectors all seem around the same usefulness level I guess, but I've never liked Falco's throwing reflector personally and I'm surprised a melee style custom wasn't one of them.

The rest are neither here nor there, I'd probably use the Explosive recovery just because you get more distance out of it, you're rarely going to be using your UpB to rack up damage anyway so may as well go with the better recovery.

With the side B, I think the default is the best, meteor smashes are great in this game and his Dair has more startup so this is a much quicker option, though it's less powerful.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Wow, that's cool! I wonder if other characters get their throws affected by their custom moves too.
I think it would depend on if their customs used their other weapons that were altered by customs. Falco's (and presumably Fox's) blasters are changed by the customs, and thus the throws are affected as well. The only other ones I can think of off the top of my head would be maybe Ness (though all the Fires work similarly), Charizard, and Shulk (if his throws are affected by Smash-mode, then the Extreme version would enhance those further, presumably). Could be wrong, but it could be worth examining.

VivaReverie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GreenTL
Oh yes, hoping Ganondorf is soon, been very curious about his supposed new "Sword moves".

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
JoeInky said:
Also based on testing the knockback of the misfire, the chance of it happening seems lower than 12.5%, though I may just have had bad RNG.
One of the in-game tips said that the misfire rate is now 1/10, so they seem to have lowered it a little for this game.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Another Robin thing not many people seem to realize (besides @Raziek, who posted about it on the Robin forum): Nosferatu-1's healing actually scales based on your damage relative to your target. If you have 100% more damage than your victim, you'll heal almost twice as much than if you only had 50% more. The base damage stays the same, though; only the healing scales.

Nosferatu-2 does not scale this way, as far as we know.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Another Robin thing not many people seem to realize (besides @Raziek, who posted about it on the Robin forum): Nosferatu-1's healing actually scales based on your damage relative to your target. If you have 100% more damage than your victim, you'll heal almost twice as much than if you only had 50% more. The base damage stays the same, though; only the healing scales.

Nosferatu-2 does not scale this way, as far as we know.
Man I wish I had screens of the custom moves to see if they renamed it or just added adjectives and numbers.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Man I wish I had screens of the custom moves to see if they renamed it or just added adjectives and numbers.
Nosferatu: A dark curse that steals the life force of enemies.
Distant Nosferatu: Can ensnare opponents farther away, but it's less powerful than normal.
Goetia: Pulls opponents in before trapping them. No healing effect, but deals more damage.

From here.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Nosferatu: A dark curse that steals the life force of enemies.
Distant Nosferatu: Can ensnare opponents farther away, but it's less powerful than normal.
Goetia: Pulls opponents in before trapping them. No healing effect, but deals more damage.

From here.
Seeing some of the "translations" people have come up with has made me rather paranoid. Seeing as I can generally read it myself now, I prefer to double check and see for myself. Especially for moves like Nosferatu that have different names in English and Japanese (Resire).

That translation/list would make sense, though.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Though I don't know where those translations come from, I assume they are the official translations and descriptions of all custom moves in the game.

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
I think it would depend on if their customs used their other weapons that were altered by customs. Falco's (and presumably Fox's) blasters are changed by the customs, and thus the throws are affected as well.
Is this legit?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Are you going to do the Mii Fighters eventually, or are they a special case?

Thani

Smash Cadet
Mii Fighters, as well as Palutena, technically have all their custom moves unlocked at start. Might be redundant for him to go over them when many others have already done so elsewhere.

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
Mii Fighters, as well as Palutena, technically have all their custom moves unlocked at start. Might be redundant for him to go over them when many others have already done so elsewhere.
Oh really? Huh, that's cool

n8gar05

Smash Rookie
Awesome job on these, thank you so much!

My vote goes for Dedede, since he's the only one I can't find much info on.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Somebody leaked the official English translations for all of the custom moves in the game here:

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=c2xywrva

Edit: To the host, don't use this as a discouragement from doing your thing. But now that we have the official names of all of the custom moves and the basic effects on what each move actually does, it does make your job a little bit easier, don't you think? All you really need to do now is find or unlock the custom moves, and then post the pictures (as well as give your own personal take on each move). Really, this just helps your research rather than renders it absolete.

Now for somebody to leak all the official Final Smash names....

Last edited:

Folt

Smash Ace
I like how Mario's "straight fireball" seem more useful than his gravity-affected one, while Luigi's "gravity-affected fireball" seem more useful than his straight one. It's funny because I'm so used to seeing Mario have the bouncy fireball and Luigi have the straight one and now they're gonna "swap" fireballs through custom movesets for me. :chuckle:

n8gar05

Smash Rookie
That's not necessarily true about Mario's fireball. The default still looks quite useful as well and is still needed to cover approaches and recoveries from above and spamming attacks at enemies recovering from below. The straight fireballs look even better in terms of zoning and pressure onstage though.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Hey JoeInky, here's a way to guarantee Custom moves from Classic Mode:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
... *2 minutes later*....*sigh*... hate to break it to you but her custom moves are the same as Marth's. :sadeyes:
WOW.... Ganondorf appears to have some original custom moves.Why can't Lucina has some different custom moves than Marth? Although we really need to experience them in game to see how different they play, but still. In good news Wario's custom moves look great. He has the suction chomp from Wario world. Please do Wario or Ganondorf next. I want to see which of Wario's custom moves are the best.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
so are custom moves only applicable to b-moves? or can normals be customized as well?
Huh? Have you been paying attention to any of the Directs and Information about custom moves? Hell the website itself says its only for B-Moves.

Folt

Smash Ace
WOW.... Ganondorf appears to have some original custom moves.Why can't Lucina has some different custom moves than Marth?
She's supposed to be Marth without his tipper... so all her custom moves are identical to Marth (but without tipper).

Last edited:
Top Bottom