• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My custom moveset analyses (Recently added: Ike)

JoeInky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JoeInky
3DS FC
4596-9442-7695
Sorry that I haven't posted in a while, I've come down with some kind of infection in one of my teeth which has made it very hard to concentrate on anything but the constant pain (toothache is seriously one of the worst kinds of pain, it's incredibly hard to just ignore it and power through).

I'll try and get done what I can when I'm able to, but I'm not going to promise anything.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Are all of listed KO percents against Samus from the center of the Battlefield?

VivaReverie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GreenTL
I believe the KO percents are referring to whenever the red-lightning effect appears, which shows up regardless of stage position.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
Sorry that I haven't posted in a while, I've come down with some kind of infection in one of my teeth which has made it very hard to concentrate on anything but the constant pain (toothache is seriously one of the worst kinds of pain, it's incredibly hard to just ignore it and power through).

I'll try and get done what I can when I'm able to, but I'm not going to promise anything.
It sound like you are dealing with Tooth Abscess, so you better get it check out soon. I hope that you would get better soon.

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189

Ugh, I've felt and still do feel your pain. A toothache is a terrible kind of pain to have.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin

Get well soon, man. There isn't much worse of a feeling than sudden, excruciating pain that you can't do much to stop.

JoeInky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JoeInky
3DS FC
4596-9442-7695
It sound like you are dealing with Tooth Abscess, so you better get it check out soon. I hope that you would get better soon.
I've been prescribed amoxicillin to reduce the inflammation and hopefully get rid of the infection, what seems to have happened is that I cracked a tooth the other day which pushed it into another tooth which I'd previously had root canal on, causing it to dislodge and an abscess to form. I can't see a dentist yet because I'm not registered with one in this part of the country, and none are open now till monday.

Needless to say, god damn does it hurt, the antibiotics haven't kicked in yet and the pain from that tooth is setting of all my other teeth, all I can feel is the left side of my face throbbing and it's extremely painful.

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
Get well soon! Your health is more important than this so take all the time you need! Enjoy that amoxicillin, it's my favorite medicine :#

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
because she doesn't deserve it. she didn't even deserve to be playable.
That would be a subjective answer.

A factual answer would be that Lucina was meant to be a costume to Marth and Ganondorf is his own character aside from some similarities to the Captain.

JoeInky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JoeInky
3DS FC
4596-9442-7695
Ike
This time I've managed to bang out an Ike writeup, haven't been feeling to great these past few days and won't for the next few days either, so we'll see how far I actually get with this and if it gets posted then that's great.

Neutral Special 1 (Eruption)

Ike charges his sword and slams it into the ground, causing an eruption of blue fire, damage, vertical range and knockback increase with charge time, and Ike will take 10% damage if the move is fully charged. The charge cannot be held indefinitely and the move will automatically active a small time after it reaches full charge.

The uncharged version will do 10% damage, knockback is vertical and has the power to kill Samus around 160% off the top.

The fully charged version does 35% damage, the knockback is more horizontal and can kill Samus around 70%.

You do 10% damage to yourself if you use the move when fully charged, but using it just below full charge has the same damage and knockback without the self damage, so there doesn't seem to be a benefit to letting it go to full charge as long as you can get the timing right (although when it is fully charged, Ike gets super armour as he slams his sword, though it's not massively useful).

Neutral Special 2 (Tempest)

This move doesn't do any damage to yourself when fully charged and the damage it does to others is much less, it instead has a push back effect when the sword is slammed down.

The damage is 5% uncharged and 14% uncharged, knockback is negligible as it's possible to not kill someone at 999%, but the push back is relatively strong, depending on the opponents damage, sending them over halfway across battlefield at 0% and from one end of Battlefield to off-screen on the other side at 999% (at full charge, for both examples)

The charge time for this custom is also shorter than the default and it gives you a slight bit of upwards momentum when used in the air, though it's not a great stalling tool due to high endlag.

Neutral Special 3 (Furious Eruption)

The area of effect gets larger, but you do more damage to yourself when fully charged (15%) and the move does less damage to enemies, but the knockback scales differently.

The uncharged version does 7% and the fully charged version does 32%, the knockback is always vertical now, but the uncharged version can't kill Samus until 220% and the fully charged version kills as low as 35%.

The charge time is similar and it retains super armour on the fully charged version, but the endlag is longer.

Side Special 1 (Quick Draw)

Ike charges and then darts across the screen, swing his sword at anyone he meets along the way and halting his vertical movement. Travel distance, damage and knockback are determined by the charge time.

The charge can be held indefinitely, but it reaches the max charge after a few seconds.

Minimum charge will send you a quarter of the way across Battlefield, does 6% damage and starts killing Samus around 260% whereas the maximum charge will send you three quarters of the way across Battlefield, does 13% damage and starts killing around 130%.

Hitting someone with the move will cancel your forward momentum and stop you right there.

This time, the move only puts you into special fall if you miss with it, hitting someone will still let you act out of it, after some end lag, so there's no more gimping Ike's horizontal recovery just by jumping into him.

Side Special 2 (Close Combat)

This time, Ike never swings his sword, instead choosing to just charge straight through people, this means that you'll always go the same distance (which is equivalent to the default) but the move loses out on damage.

It will always do 4%, regardless of how much it is charged, and the knockback is also always the same, being almost equivalent to the default other than it takes an extra 10% to kill.

This move always puts you into special fall, even if you hit someone with it.

Side Special 3 (Unyielding Blade)

Ike gains super armour during the charge and the dash as well as higher damage and knockback, but he moves slower and travels less distance.

This time he does 7% damage at no charge and 19% at max charge, knockback on the minimum charge is equivalent to the default, whereas max charge will now kill at 100%.

This move will also always put you into special fall, the distance traveled at minimum charge is equivalent to the default, but max charge will only go halfway across Battlefield.

Up Special 1 (Aether)

Ike throws his sword into the air, then jumps up to grab it, after which he spins in the air a few times before bringing it slamming to the ground.

It's a multihit move and does 19% damage if all the hits connect, it will also spike on the final hit.

Ike still has super armour whilst the sword isn't in his hands, and the sword itself will destroy a lot of projectiles, but the very limited horizontal travel means it's not an amazing general recovery move.

The move has less knockback if you only hit with the final slam, but connecting with the spin and the slam KOs at lower percentages (final hit can't KO at reasonable percentages, all hits connecting kills at ~260%, so the knockback still isn't great).

Up Special 2 (Aether Drive)

This time Ike throws his sword diagonally, it does more damage if all hits connect (27%) but due to the angle he throws it, it's much harder for all hits to connect at low to mid percentages.

Everything else about the move seems the same, but you have no horizontal control whatsoever unlike the default, which means it needs to be aimed a bit better and due to it going more diagonal, it's not good at vertical recovery.

Up Special 3 (Aether Wave)

In this version, it's practically impossible to get all the hits to connect, as the initial hit does horizontal knockback instead of vertical, but Ike crates a shockwave as the sword lands, which gives it a bit more range.

The shockwave travels about a quarter of Battlefield and does more damage closer to Ike (starts at 8% and goes down to 4%), it's untested whether the shockwave counts as a porjectile and can be reflected.

Ike keeps the super armour on the startup but also gains super armour for almost the entirety of the (longer) endlag, everything else about the move seems the same as the default, but the knockback on the charge is actually a bit better, able to kill Samus around 210%.

Down Special 1 (Counter)

Ike enters a defensive stance, counter attacking anyone that hits him whilst he flashes.

The counter attack damage and knockback is based on the attack countered, the multiplier is around 1.2x.

Down Special 2 (Paralyzing Counter)

Only does 1% damage, but will paralyze the person it hits.

The paralyze duration is based on the opponents damage and it becomes long enough to followup around ~100%, after the stun, they get knocked vertically, though it's not enough to kill even at 300% (though it will kill at 999%, as if that matters)

Down Special 3 (Smash Counter)

The counter attack is slower, but it has a higher knockback and damage multiplier, which is now around 1.5x.

The counter attack is slow enough for people to dodge it on reaction unless it's an aerial with high endlag and you were grounded, so it's much easier to miss with than the default, probably an upgrade as long as you use it properly.

Final Thoughts

The shockwave recovery is probably my favourite custom of the bunch and is probably the one I'd end up always using and the smash counter doesn't seem that great, but otherwise my loadout would be 2131.

Ike's customs are alright, but I can feel my gum expanding due to an abscess whilst the nerve gets stabbed by what feels like a needle at the moment, so I'm going to go gargle some salt water, take my amoxicillin and end it here.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
Great analysis! I'm totally using the shock wave. Though just to let you know, if you hit right before the full charge,it will be much more powerful with potential to OHKO. :)

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
That would be a subjective answer.

A factual answer would be that Lucina was meant to be a costume to Marth and Ganondorf is his own character aside from some similarities to the Captain.
not, it's objective.

Chrom is more important than her. It's RIDICULOUS to have the tritagonist of awakening playable when the protagonist isn't playable (or deutoragonist, if you somehow think Robin, who didn't even directly impacted the story til the 3rd arc, is the protagonist.)

What you are talking about is how she came to be her own character. that matters little, even as an ALt she'd be playable over Chrom.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
not, it's objective.

Chrom is more important than her. It's RIDICULOUS to have the tritagonist of awakening playable when the protagonist isn't playable (or deutoragonist, if you somehow think Robin, who didn't even directly impacted the story til the 3rd arc, is the protagonist.)

What you are talking about is how she came to be her own character. that matters little, even as an ALt she'd be playable over Chrom.
No, you're saying that Lucina doesn't deserve to be playable. That's an objective opinion.

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
when there is someone objectively more important than her, not yet playable? nope. it's a fact.

but she had boobs, so people simply don't want to accept that.
I personally like that Lucina was chosen over Chrom just because Chrom was to obvious. I don't hate Chrom, I just didn't like all the people hyping him up and I really liked the change of pace by including Lucina over Chrom. (even if the spoilers are HUGE for all the 2 people who haven't played awakening) It also fits in with Smash 4s gender neutral path and Lucina is the most recent Fire emblem Female protagonist. (I know there are a few people who wanted Lyn in as a complete character but awakening is more recent, more well received, and more popular than Sword of Flames) Finally, it's likely that if they did include Chrom over Lucina, there wouldn't be any difference in move sets. Chrom is a descendant of Marth, the same as Lucina. The only difference between the two is that Lucina is a Marth Cosplayer. All in all I would say there's not much, if anything, lost by including Lucina instead of Chrom. At least, that's my opinion.

Wow what a horribly off topic post:

Thank you for doing Ike even through your tooth pain JoeInky. If I had one piece of advice, it would be to get that Tooth extracted ASAP. Take it from someone who really needs to do the same. An Abscess isn't fun and even if it goes away, it will come back and it will hurt. The only silver lining you may or may not have (I did) is that this is a wake up message to take better care of your teeth. Lest you suffer this pain again.

Finally, When you have the time, I'd really like to see Palutena. I'm interested in opinions on her custom moves.

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
Wrong thread for arguing over Chrom and Lucina guys :y

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
when there is someone objectively more important than her, not yet playable? nope. it's a fact.

but she had boobs, so people simply don't want to accept that.
If Chrom is the most important character in the game, then why don't you play as him? Chrom/Robin/Lucina are refferred to as tritagonists for a reason. The argument can be made that Chrom is the least important out of the three. Robin's tactical genius(YMMV) let the Shepherds prevail where they may otherwise have been wiped out. Lucina set events in motion by traveling back in time to try and change the future. Chrom was the muscle, the stubborn mule of the three. He may have been the leader of the Shepherds and Ylisse, but his story centered around Robin and Lucina(and, if you went that way, Sumia).

EDIT: Oh, and Lucina having boobs? Not really, she's about as flat as a board.

Last edited:

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Not sure if this will help, but someone found a bit of a cheatsy way to unlock custom moves
This might help speed up the process if you want to use it
Thanks so much for posting these custom moves:chuckle:
That's amazing. Now I won't have to play 1000000... smash run games to unlock all of the custom moves.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Ike's customs sound pretty exciting. Hope you feel better quickly, looking forward to the next character.

Keiro0101

Smash Rookie
Hey what happen, the thread has been quiet for a long time. There's going to be more or what??

Last edited:

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
As he mentioned, JoeInky has been having health issues that make such awesome analyses hard to write. Be patient. Let him take the time he needs. The game is out in all territories now, so if you're that impatient, try to unlock and play with them yourself.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Ive unlocked a couple of complete custom sets. If it'll be of any help, I can write for the miis, Dr. Mario, Palutena, and Charizard. But only if he's okay with it.

Last edited:

VivaReverie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GreenTL
I believe the KO percents are referring to whenever the red-lightning effect appears, which shows up regardless of stage position.
Quick correction (Now that I have the game and have played for a while), turns out red-lightning appears when the game thinks you're gonna get knocked out, this includes Flat-Zone styled tiny percent deaths, you can get a 0% red-lightning if you're close to the edge of the screen.

Also, mirroring the above post, I just unlocked all of Marth's movesets, so I'm in a similar position.

Top Bottom