• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My custom moveset analyses (Recently added: Ike)

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Lol, JoeInky is on Zero's stream with Ness. I believe in you man! :laugh:

Edit: Oh man, the way that Ike match ended... criminal haha.

Also, to be more on topic, if I can suggest a second character, Wii Fit Trainer might be a good choice. I've seen little surrounding that character, only a few custom moves are known at this point. But yeah, excited for Villager, he's my favorite in the demo by far!

Last edited:

JoeInky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JoeInky
3DS FC
4596-9442-7695
I choked so hard, I hate being on stream haha.

I was planning on doing Villager today, but the item drops really haven't been kind to me, I played smash run 7 times and got nothing new for villager, then I thought I'd try the figure rush suggestion and I didn't get a single custom move, new or not, in 8 tries, it was all just the equipment.

I'll keep trying and see if I can post it tonight, but I'm apologising in advance if Villager doesn't show up today.

Hoser

Smash Ace
There are exactly 17 characters left whose full list of custom moves appears to be a complete mystery: Peach, Bowser Jr., Mr. Game & Watch, Diddy Kong, Link, Ganondorf, Zero Suit Samus, Ike, Robin, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Falco, Charizard, Lucario, Greninja, Captain Falcon, and Wii Fit Trainer.
Speaking of Ike, almost curious to see if a Roy-like neutral B may show up. Sounds dumb considering besides animation/hitboxes they act practically identical, but maybe we'll see a twist on it, like Young Link's arrows on Toon Link.
I've seen all of Ike's custom moves already.

Eruption 1 is default
Eruption 2 had wind pushback instead of an explosion
Eruption 3 has a bigger htibox, but is slower (This one might be a bit incorrect)

Counter 1 is normal counter (faster than in Brawl)
Counter 2 does 1% damage, but causes stun. They're stunned long enough for Ike to hit with an F-smash if you do it right away
Counter 3 has a huge delay between getting hit and dishing out the counter, but it does more damage. It seems pretty useless.

Quickdraw 1 is normal quickdraw
Quickdraw 2 has no hitbox, and goes through people (no more killing ike off stage by jumping in front of him while he QDs)
Quickdraw 3 is a slow quickdraw that goes half the distance, but hits harder.

Aether 1 is normal Aether.
Aether 2 Ike throws his sword Diagonally and travels to it (Yes, its real :0)
Aether 3 is similar to aether 1, but shoots out a projectile similar to Kirby's up B.

My loadout is probably going to be Neutral 1, Counter 2, Quickdraw 2, Aether 2.

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'll probably use a mix for Ike. I'm interested in how the more powerful versions work against shields.

Last edited:

HullabalooFTW

Smash Rookie
Hi, this might be a bad suggestion but, I heard someone unlocked all of Ganons customs by playing classic with him, idk if he was just really lucky or was wrong, but maybe see if classic really does unlock a lot or, idk, but anyways looking forward to Villagers analysis soon!! :) Thanks for doing all of this!!

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I've seen all of Ike's custom moves already.

Eruption 1 is default
Eruption 2 had wind pushback instead of an explosion
Eruption 3 has a bigger htibox, but is slower (This one might be a bit incorrect)

Counter 1 is normal counter (faster than in Brawl)
Counter 2 does 1% damage, but causes stun. They're stunned long enough for Ike to hit with an F-smash if you do it right away
Counter 3 has a huge delay between getting hit and dishing out the counter, but it does more damage. It seems pretty useless.

Quickdraw 1 is normal quickdraw
Quickdraw 2 has no hitbox, and goes through people (no more killing ike off stage by jumping in front of him while he QDs)
Quickdraw 3 is a slow quickdraw that goes half the distance, but hits harder.

Aether 1 is normal Aether.
Aether 2 Ike throws his sword Diagonally and travels to it (Yes, its real :0)
Aether 3 is similar to aether 1, but shoots out a projectile similar to Kirby's up B.

My loadout is probably going to be Neutral 1, Counter 2, Quickdraw 2, Aether 2.
Can you jump out of Quick Draw 2 like in PM, or do any other sort of mixups?

cochiseSMASH

Smash Apprentice
The one custom move I have for Link, a bomb custom, is different to all of Toon Link's bomb variants.

I don't think both him and Toon Link live up to their potential though, they could have been like megaman.

And I'm surprised, given the fact that there's a bombchu item in the game, that some form of that was not used as a bomb customisation.
Ah gotcha, well it's good they have different moves to choose from either way. Would definitely have loved to see moves based on his different games as well though (alternates such as Link turns into a wolf with Midna on his back and charges at an opponent, Link pulls out a fishing rod from Ocarina and uses it to catch other characters or the edge as his recovery, Links throws on a random mask and performs a special move in that form, damage varying based on the mask.) Some of these are semi-jokes but it would be cool to see his various incarnations incorporated.

JoeInky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JoeInky
3DS FC
4596-9442-7695
Ok, so some custom moves are locked on the challenge board and you can't get them via drop.

The last villager custom I needed, you unlock just by playing on tortimer island once.

And I spent all this time playing smash run, sigh.

Don't think I'm going to be able to do a writeup tonight though, sorry guys, hopefully 2-3 tomorrow though!

espio87

Smash Ace
You know, these custom moves give me a Diablo 3 vibe. I wouldn't be surprised if suddenly someone creates a site on curse.com so players share their builds.
Thanks for the info and I'm looking forward to the Villager's custom moves (I hope there's an Axe Swing Down B without the tree =D)

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
Maybe instead of saying "I'm gonna do so-and-so next", you could just do them as you get them :U once you unlock all of them for that character of course

Last edited:

Whiteface

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRealWhiteface
Maybe instead of saying "I'm gonna do so-and-so next", you could just do them as you get them :U once you unlock all of them for that character of course
Shhhhhh... Let the artist work as he may. In Joelnky we trust!

VivaReverie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GreenTL
I see in the far future, hacks for Smash 4 featuring custom custom moves, not replacing the ones that already exist, instead adding to the list ingame.
That would be so cool and I hope that happens.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
I can't see customs getting cut next time, and I will hate the competetive side of the smashbase if they ban customs
I am one of those people in the competitive fan-base and I would also hate them if they were banned. However, I would still listen to them.

Whiteface

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRealWhiteface
there was actually a tournament recently that was uploaded by clash tournaments that allowed custom moves.
I saw it. Those matches were legit awesome. I honestly can't see any reason to not allow custom moves at the moment. However, time will tell if there's anything broken about them.

JoeInky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JoeInky
3DS FC
4596-9442-7695
Villager
In this post we're going to look at Villager, the first newcomer to Smash 4 that we were shown, his customs aren't particularly interesting if you were hoping for maybe different tree models or fruit-bearing trees. But hopefully what we got will please some of the Villager fans.

Neutral Special 1 (Pocket)

The Villager extends his hand out in front of him, grabbing any projectile or item and stuffing it in his pocket for later use. The range is much larger than you'd expect it to be based on the visuals, being able to grab things above, below and even behind you, basically if the projectile is near you, you're probably going to grab it.
The projectile can't be held indefinitely, after about 30 seconds the move will expire and using it again will just do the grab animation. If you use the move before the projectile expires however, you'll throw it back with a 1.9x damage multiplier, knockback is also multiplied but that's a lot harder to quantify.

You can also grab regular items with the move, something which all the customisations do, except for Assist Trophies, Smash Balls, Grass, Sandbag and Pokeballs/Masterballs.

Grabbing Dragoon or Daybreak parts just adds them to your stash as if you picked them up normally
Grabbing items the Villager carries with two hands (Barrel, Crate, Rolling Crate, Party Ball, Explosive Crates), will store the item in your pocket until you use the move again, in which case it will instantly throw it.
Grabbing items that automatically get used(Food, Maxim Tomato, Heart Piece, Fairy Bottle [when over 100%], Mushrooms, Warp Star, Invincibility Star, Metal Box, Bunny Hood, etc), will store them in your pocket and using the move again will automatically use it.
Grabbing items that Villager carries in one hand but has too press another input to use (Or Fairy Bottles when under 100%) will be stored in his pocket, then brought out into his hand, ready to be used, when you press it again. Subsequent presses will either put it back in his pocket or take it out again.

Neutral Special 2 (Flower Plant)

In this variation, the startup increases and anyone Villager hits with it will get planted, taking damage over time. The plant seems to have a random chance of falling off after hitstun, but the initial hit will do 10% and the plant will do a further 1-16%, depending on how long it actually sticks.
Hitting someone with the move whilst they are already planted will increase the size of the plant, as well as the duration it stays on and decrease the chance of it falling off before it does the full amount of damage.

It's hard to test just how large the DoT can become due to the seemingly random nature of the move not lasting the full duration, but it is possible to get 30%+ from the DoT alone, though by that point they'll be at 200% damage just from using the move and you should have killed them with something else by then.

The move does knockback on the initial hit but it's an incredibly minor amount, not even being able to take someone to the other side of battlefield at 350%

The move still retains the ability to grab projectiles and throw them back, but it has no damage (and I imagine knockback) multiplier on thrown projectiles anymore.

Like most forms of item reflect projectiles, this seems like a straight upgrade when facing an opponent without projectiles, but the pretty high damage potential and the fact that you can still grab projectiles means it could still be useful in any situation.

Neutral Special 3 (Large Grab)

This variation increases the grab range, but the damage multiplier goes down to 1.3.

I guess this variation is supposed to be an "easy mode" of the default? Easier to use but less rewards, doesn't seem to be much else different.

Side Special 1 (Lloid Rocket)

Villager pulls out a Gyroid and either uses it as a projectile or a method of transportation, depending on whether the button was just pressed or held.

It travels much further when Villager is riding it than when it flies solo, going from one end of the screen to the other (and further) if you stay on it, but only the length of battlefield if you don't.

The damage is also increased when the Villager stays on it, doing 16%, whereas it only does 7% if you don't (and it will also decrease to only 5% if you hit them at the very end of the move, and 11% for the held version).

It's also worth noting that you press hold forward and back whilst riding the Gyroid to increase or decrease the travel speed, this doesn't affect the duration of the move but it does affect the range.

Knockback for both versions is enough to KO Samus at around 110%.

Side Special 2 (Lloid Climb)

Another "Goes vertically instead of horizontally" customisation, this time the Gyroid turns sharply upwards a few moments after it appears.

It can be used to recover vertically when rode or it can be used to hit someone returning to the stage, the damage is also increased, doing 19% if rode and 8% as a projectile and it doesn't seem to lose damage over time.

The drawbacks to this custom are that you can't change the end point when rode by holding forwards and back, and the KO power seems to be slightly reduced, only able to KO Samus at ~130% though this is probably due to the fact that knockback is a bit more vertical than the default.

Also, due to the knockback direction and the angle at which the Lloid rises, you can link 2 or even 3 of these together at medium percents, though they aren't true combos and they're probably impossible against anything with a brain, it was funny to see though.

Side Special 3 (Big Lloid)

This time the Villager pulls out a much larger Gyroid that is slower and multi-hit that does 13% damage if all hits connect when rode and 10% when used as a projectile.

The max range is always the same, going just over half of Battlefield, though you can decrease the range by holding back whilst riding it, though it's harder for all the hits to connect if you go slower.

The downside to this move is that it loses a lot of KO potential, it's not able to KO Samus at even 200%, it's better to use it as a projectile to trap someone and then try to use a better kill move.

It's also worth noting that for all three variations, the Gyroid will put you into special fall if you miss or if you press a jump or attack button, actually connecting with the move won't and allow you to try and followup.

Up special 1 (Balloon Trip)

Pressing the input will give Villager two balloons, whilst he has these, continually pressing B will give you a small bit of upwards momentum.

You have full horizontal control during the move and you can cancel it into special fall by press A.

This is a pure recovery ability, you can't use it to damage anyone in any way, though they can damage you and if your balloons get destroyed, you'll automatically go into special fall.

Up Special 2 (Explosive Balloons)

This variation doesn't last as long as the default and it won't take you as high as it could either, but this move can be used offensively.

Pressing A during the move will explode one of your balloons, doing 5-9% damage, depending on how close to the blast radius they are.

Losing both of your balloons will still put you into special fall, but unlike the other one, if you cause both of the balloons to explode yourself by pressing A, you'll jump quite high into the air first.

Like the other recovery, if you land on the ground during it or go the full duration, the balloons will detach and start floating away from you and upwards for a short duration, if you press the input again, you'll spawn 2 new ones and instantly explode the old ones, so this could have some stage control uses.

Up special 3 (Balloon Jump)

Villager jumps high enough to reach the top of the screen from the base platform of Battlefield, you have no horizontal control, except for the fact that you will move slightly forwards in the direction you're facing.

There is a hitbox at the start of the jump that does 10% damage and a small bit of vertical knockback that is only able to kill Samus around 300%

Everything else about this move is the same, the fact that it moves so fast means that your balloons can't easily be destroyed but it puts you really high into the air and in special fall, so be careful about missing sweetspots on the ledge, it's better to just go lower and guarantee the sweetspot as it will recover from practically anywhere below the ledge.

Down Special 1 (Sapling)

When used and there's ground directly in front of you, villager will plant a sapling (doing it in the air or without a place to plant it will cause villager to shrug).

Whilst there is an active sapling, pressing the input again will make villager pull out a watering can that does no damage and some minor push back.

If the water touches the sapling, it will grow into a tree, causing 18% damage and vertical knockback that's capable of killing Samus at 90% if sweetspotted, hitting outside of the center of the tree will only do 13% and much less vertical knockback.

Whilst the tree is active, pressing the input will let Villager swing an axe until the tree has completely disappeared. The axe does 14% damage and decent horizontal knockback if you use it to hit players, able to kill at 140%

Hitting the tree with the axe will chop that side of the tree, and hitting it a second time will cause the tree to fall, it has to be hit twice at either side to fall, you can't just hit each side once.

The tree does 25% damage and very good vertical knockback that's able to kill Samus at 75% and since it's a projectile, if it falls off of a ledge, it will keep going until it hits the floor, so it can be useful for edgeguarding below the stage.

The tree also has a random chance of spitting out a log as it hits the ground, causing 8% damage and minor knockback if it hits anyone, it can also be picked up and rethrown, doing 3% damage and similar knockback.

The tree will stay active for 10 seconds, taking a further 1-2 seconds after that to wilt, whilst wilting it is completely inactiive so you can't chop it down, but it will prevent you from planting another until it's gone, instead just letting you swing the axe.
The sapling will last longer than thee fully grown tree, staying active for around 15 seconds.

The tree will also block projectiles, attacks and movement, acting similarly to another played (You can run through it, but it's harder to walk through it), but attacks will reduce it's life expectancy, though it's hard to test whether it's based on the amount of damage it takes or just the number of hits.

Down Special 2 (Shaking Sapling)

This variation acts a bit more differently than what I would expect, I would have still liked it to be a different model though.

In this variation, whilst the sapling is active, it flashes blue and any enemy that walks into it will take 2% damage and get tripped. The watering can still does no damage and minor pushback, which can be used to push people into the sapling, trip them and then hit them with the tree growth.

The growth animation doesn't seem to have a sweetspot anymore and will do 12% and little knockback wherever you hit with it.

Whilst the tree is fully grown, it flashes red, if anyone attacks the tree during this time, including the villager as well as the axe, it will shake the tree and create a shockwave that does 5% damage and decent knockback.

The axe will only do 6% damage and much less knockback though, and the tree projectile once chopped down will only do 12% damage and can't kill Samus until 160%.

Everything else about the move seems exatly the same, it will still spit out a log that does 8% damage and can be rethrown to do 3%, although this time the log will cause tripping on the initial hit.

Down Special 3 (Tall Sapling)

In this variation, your tree grows larger and everything seems to do more damage.

Whilst the sapling is active, your watering can has a much larger range and better push back, but it's a slower move.

Missing the sweetspot on the growth hitbox will do 15% damage and minor knockback, but the sweetspot will do 20% and similar knockback.

The axe now does 16% damage but it's a slower move and the reduce knockback means it can't kill Samus until over 200%.

The endlag on the axe is definitely higher, but even moreso if you use it to hit the tree, which now does 27% damage and is able to kill Samus as low as 58%

Everything else about the move seems the same.

Final Thoughts

I would have liked a bit more variation model-wise in the customs, like a different Gyroid model for each custom or have the Shaking Sapling have a beehive in it with a a load of bees as the particle effect instead of just a shockwave, but the same can be said for a lot of custom moves that aren't Megaman's or Fox's.

The Item Grab variation seems like an easy mode variation of the default Pocket, letting people grab from further away and grab more things in return for lower damage, so I don't see much use for it in competitive play, the Flower Plant move is pretty fun though and you can really rack up damage if you keep hitting it right.

The Lloid Rocket and Balloon Trip variations seems pretty standard, not much of interest there other than the possibility of the Explosive Balloons giving the Villager access to another form of stage control.

The second tree variation is a bit wackier than I expected, but I think the 3rd custom is a straight upgrade as long as you get the timings right, though it may be a tad too slow to be useful and you can't use the axe as a killing move, if you were planning on doing that.

All in all, not too bad, I'd probably go with 2222 for my main Villager loadout.
Mario
This time it's Mario, who we've seen all the custom moves for pre-release, so I'll try not to drone on too much about these, I will say that the custom move I was most excited for of his turned out to be pretty bad in my opinion, but we'll get to that later.

Neutral Special 1 (Fireball)

Mario's usual Fireballs, they fire quick enough to have 2 on-screen at once and they seem to fall faster than they did in previous games and they may not go as far, they do 4% damage and minor knockback.

Neutral Special 2 (Fast Fireball)

Instead of bouncing along the floor, these Fireballs fly straight ahead, moving faster than regular fireballs, they do similar knockback but only 1-2% damage.

Neutral Special 2 (Fire Orb)

This was the custom move I was most excited for when I first saw it in the very first clip of custom moves we saw. I thought the idea of Mario being able to use a slow moving, multi-hit projectile that he could use as stage control and combo into and out of sounded really fun.

But in reality the move isn't very good, taking a full 2 seconds to complete, with the projectile lasting only a second afterwards. it barely moves Bowser's width in front of you and it does combo into Fair if you can trap them at the side of the ledge with it at the very start of the move, but I don't think that that's going to happen very often considering the significant startup of the move.

Side Special 1 (Cape)

Mario swings his cape infront of him, doing 7% damage, flipping enemies around and reflecting projectiles with a 1.5x damage multiplier.

It can also be used to stall your momentum in midair and now makes a SMW-esque cape sound effect when it connects.

Side Special 2 (Shocking Cape)

Does 11% damage and decent knockback (though not really enough to be a main kill move), but loses the ability to reflect projectiles, instead just destroying them.

Your ability to stall is also diminished to being practically negligible.

Side Special 3 (Gust Cape)

Does less damage than the regular cape (5%), but causes decent push back which is strongest closest to Mario.

Can still stall in midair, will still flip people (if the cape connects) and still has the 1.5x damage modifier, seems like a straight upgrade unless you really need that 2% or I'm missing something.

Up Special 1 (Super Jump Punch)

Decent recovery, does 12% if all hits connect and decent knockback on the final hit. Has invincibility on startup.

Up Special 2 (Super Jump)

Increases Mario's recovery height at the cost of doing no damage or knockback and it loses the startup invincibility. Doesn't seem particularly useful to me, you generally won't need the extra distance in this game.

Up Special 3 (Explosive Punch)

Loses half the distance but does 2 hits, 8% on the first and 13% on the second hit. The second hit will KO Samus at 105% and it keeps the invincibility on startup, so it's a pretty good option if you don't need the extra recovery height.

Down Special 1 (FLUDD)

The move probably most known for being worse than the Mario Tornado, Mario pulls out his FLUDD and starts charging it, you can roll and shield to hold the charge. Takes about 2 seconds total to fully charge.

Does no damage but alright push back, can be angled up and down and lasts about a second, pretty similar to what we all know.

You can press the B button whilst charging to instantly fire it before it's fully charged, but the range and push back force will be lower.

Down Special 2 (Scalding FLUDD)

This time, instead of pushing people, the move loses range and starts doing fire damage.

It only takes a second to charge and does 8% damage if all hits connect, but the range is about a third of what it once was so it's not massively useful.

Down Special 3 (High-Pressure FLUDD)

This FLUDD Version takes a bit longer to charge, but the push back is stronger and it has higher recoil, able to push yourself back over a third of Battlefield.

Better than the default FLUDD in 1v1s, seeing as you can easily get a full charge without being interrupted by something else, still worse than the Mario Tornado though.

Final Thoughts

The Fire Orb was the biggest disappointment to me, I was expecting to have fun with it, but it just wasn't.

I'm also surprised they didn't do an ice ball variation or super ball variation or take the opportunity to make FLUDD better by giving it different nozzles, though the latter might be too much for the system of mostly only slight variations they've got going here.

My loadout is 1313, Gust Cape just seems straight up better and atleast the High-Pressure FLUDD is better than the regular one, but for the others I just prefer the defaults.

Also I was checking the imgur stats for my images and found out that someone copy and pasted my Ness writeup onto some french forum without saying I did it, but they only translated the neutral customisations before they got bored and just left the rest in English. Lol.

Last edited:

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
These are really interesting. I know I've seen Little Mac's before, although I'd still like a write up on them. Custom moves seem like they're going to add a lot to competitive scene.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Robin and Bowser Jr are some of the most interesting newcomers, so it would be appreciated if you could do any of them next. Thanks!

espio87

Smash Ace
What a dissapointment. I was hoping more versatility in the villager's Down + B. I wanted him to be able to swing the axe without needing to plant a tree. Oh well...
Yeah, Robin's alts would be interesting to see.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Villager

Mario

Also I was checking the imgur stats for my images and found out that someone copy and pasted my Ness writeup onto some french forum without saying I did it, but they only translated the neutral customisations before they got bored and just left the rest in English. Lol.
About Villager, I just wanted to tell you that at least the normal tree has a very low chance to spawn a fruit after it is chopped.

JoeInky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JoeInky
3DS FC
4596-9442-7695
About Villager, I just wanted to tell you that at least the normal tree has a very low chance to spawn a fruit after it is chopped.
Thanks for the info, I'll try and see if I can get it to happen and add it in.

Lucario
This time it's Lucario, the first Pokemon I've done so far. I did want to do Charizard, but I ended up getting more custom moves for Lucario than Charizard and completed his moveset first, so here we are!

Also, to preface this, Lucario's Aura Power seems to be at maximum strength around the 165% mark, anything above that doesn't seem to increase his offensive abilities at all. So whenever I talk about minimum Aura, medium Aura or max Aura, I'm talking about when Lucario is at 0%, 90% and 165% respectively. Obviously Lucario's Aura Power scales gradually though and isn't just three set levels, it's just some baselines for you to get a feel of things.

Neutral Special 1 (Aura Sphere)

Lucario charges an Aura Sphere, the range of the move is determined by charge time, the damage, knockback and size of the sphere is influenced by both charge time and Lucario's Aura Power

At minimum charge, it will travel just under halfway through Battlefield whereas at full charge, it will travel just under the entirety of Battlefield.

Minimum Aura: minimum charge does 4% and negligible knockback, maximum charge does 11% and greater knockback (won't kill Samus until around the 240% mark)
Medium Aura: minimum charge does 7% and slightly larger knockback, maximum charge does 19% and even greater knockback (won't kill Samus until around the 120% mark)
Maximum Aura: minimum charge does 11% and more knockback than the previous, but still really low. Maximum charge does 28% and will kill Samus around the 80% mark)

You can hit people with the sphere whilst it's charging still, though the damage and knockback is minor, being only 1% a hit at all levels, though the larger sphere means it's easier to hit with at higher Aura levels.

Neutral Special 2 (Vortex Sphere)

Very similar to the default, only this time, the Aura Sphere Lucario throws moves much slower (so the range isn't as large) and sucks enemies in towards it. It also does multiple hits instead of a single hit and the sphere is also slightly larger.

The range works in the opposite way to the default as well, at minimum charge, the sphere goes the furthest, getting halfway across Battlefield. Whilst the fully charged version will barely go a quarter of the way.

Minimum Aura: minimum charge does 1-2% a hit and maximum charge does 9-10% a hit. A fully charged version will still only kill Samus at 240%.
Medium Aura: minimum charge does 2-3% a hit and maximum charge does 16% a hit. A fully charged version will kill Samus around 150%
Maximum Aura: minimum charge does 4% as hit and maximum charge does 22%. A fully charged version will kill Samus around 90%

Damage whilst charging is still only 1% a hit, and the sphere doesn't suck people in whilst charging, only when thrown. Endlag on the move may also be slightly higher.

Neutral Special 3 (Fast Sphere)

This time, Lucario throws a much faster Aura Sphere that travels further and goes through enemies and projectiles, but loses out on damage and knockback. The size of the sphere is similar to the default.

At minimum charge, the sphere will travel over halfway across Battlefield and at maximum charge it will go across the whole thing and a bit extra.

Minimum Aura: minimum charge does 2% and maximum charge does 4-5% a hit. Knockback is very minor, but it's more horizontal which means it ends up still being able to kill at similar percents as the previous move, killing Samus at 250%
Medium Aura: minimum charge does 3-4% and maximum charge does 7-8% a hit, the maximum charge is able to kill Samus around 205%
Maximum Aura: minimum charge does 4-5% and maximum charge does 10%, the maximum charge is able to kill Samus around 170%

Side Special 1 (Force Palm)

Lucario shoots a blast of Aura out of his palm, the higher his Aura Power, the greater the range, damage and knockback. If someone is next to you during the startup of the move and you're on the ground, it instead becomes a grab with even higher knockback and damage.

The blast does more damage closer to Lucario

Minimum Aura: Range is just over Lucario's width and the damage is 7% at close range and 4% at max range, knockback is very low unless the grab is activated, which will do 8% and kills Samus around 190%.
Medium Aura: Range has been extended to about a quarter of Battlefield, blast damage is 13% at close range and 8% at max range, the knockback is still relatively low, but the grab does 15% and will kill Samus around 130%.
Maximum Aura: Range is now over a third of Battlefield, blast damage is 19% at close range and 12% at max range, the knockback from the blast will now kill Samus around 200%. The grab now does 21% damage and will kill Samus as low as 80%

Side Special 2 (Force Dash)

This variation allows Lucario to dash forward before shooting the blast/grabbing, at the expense of blast range, damage (the blast damage is also uniform now, rather than being stronger closer to Lucario and the blast damage is the same as the grab damage) and knockback. The dash distance is the same at all Aura levels: a quarter of Battlefield.

Minimum Aura: Does 6% damage with little knockback and the grab knockback can't kill Samus until 235%
Medium Aura: Does 11% damage with little knockback, the grab kills Samus around 150%
Maximum Aura: Does 15-16% damage with better knockback and the grab can kill Samus at 115%

Anything else about the move seems to be the same.

Side Special 3 (Power Palm)

It seems like the range and grab knockback has increased on this move, with the startup being longer and a little less damage as the tradeoff.

Minimum Aura: does 2% at max range and 5% at close range, the grab does 8% and is able to kill Samus around 180%
Medium Aura: does 4% at max range and 8% at close range, the grab does 14% and will kill Samus around 85%
Maximum Aura: does 7% at max range and 11-12% at close range, the grab does 20% damage and is able to kill Samus at 70%

Up Special 1 (Extreme Speed)

Lucario dashes in the direction the stick is held, he has some control during the first half and his Aura Power increases speed and distance, goes into special fall afterwards and he conserves momentum from the move, meaning at higher Aura Levels, it's possible to completely miss the stage and go past it.
There is also a sweetspot, doing damage and horizontal knockback at the very end of Lucario's control over the move.

Minimum Aura: Travels a third of the length of Battlefield at 1.25x Lucario's dash speed, does 4% damage and won't kill Samus until around 200%
Medium Aura: Travels half the length of Battlefield at around 1.5x Lucario's dash speed, does 6% damage and kills Samus around 150%
Maximum Aura: Travels almost the entirety of Battlefield at around 2x Lucario's dash speed, does 9% damage at the sweetspot and will kill Samus around 100%

Up Special 2 (Controlled Extreme Speed)

Lucario gains increased control and distance, but loses out on the sweetspot at the end of the move, turning the special into a pure recovery special. Distance travelled as well as speed is increased as Aura increases, but the speed seems generally slower than in the default.

Minimum Aura: Lucario travels two thirds of Battlefield.
Medium Aura: Lucario travels the entirety of Battlefield.
Maximum Aura: Lucario travels way past Battlefield and dies.

Up Special 3 (Ramming Speed)

Lucario's extreme speed loses the sweetspot and large knockback in favour of multi hit, everything else about the move feels the same. The knockback loss means it's harder to kill with, but the multihit means it's easier to connect with the move.

Minimum Aura: Does 2% on the first hit and 5% on the second, the second hit is able to kill Samus at 280%
Medium Aura: Does 4% then 8%, second hit can kill Samus at 155%
Maximum Aura: Does 6% on the first hit, 11% on the second, the second hit is able to kill Samus at 130%

This version of Extreme Speed also lets you go through projectiles.

Down Special 1 (Double Team)

Lucario enters a defensive stance and glows with aura, if he gets hit during this period, he'll disappear and retaliate with a dive kick, the damage and (vertical) knockback increases as his Aura strength does.
The retaliation isn't guaranteed to hit and it is punishable in addition to the long endlag, so you need to be careful about using it too much.

Minimum Aura: 7% damage, knockback kills Samus at 150%
Medium Aura: 12% damage, knockback kills Samus at 100%
Maximum Aura: 17% damage, enough knockback to kill Samus at 80%

Down Special 2 (Auto-Counter)

In this Variation you don't need to get hit at all for Lucario to perform a retaliation, during his defensive stance he's completely invincible and ends it with a mini aura blast.

Minimum Aura: Does 6% damage and can't kill Samus until 250%
Medium Aura: Does 11% damage and kills Samus around 170%
Maximum Aura: Does 15% damage and kills Samus at 110%

So basically the trade-off for an easier counter is less damage and knockback, it's a much safer move than the default due to the fact that you'll create a hitbox even if you miss.

Down Special 3 (Shocking Counter)

In this variation, the dive kick is replaced by Lucario teleporting around the same spot, dealing electric damage and stunning them at the end of the move.
The enemies current percentage increases the length of the stun (around 150% is the minimum amount needed to actually followup with a quick move)

Lucario's Aura seems to have no effect on this move, always doing 1% damage a hit for up to 4 hits and stun at the end.

Final Thoughts

Yes, I know 90% isn't halfway between 0% and 165%, but I started this writeup with the impression that it capped at 180 but not 165, this means that my minimum and maximum auras were fine, but I'd have to retest the medium aura moves, and I'm too tired for that.

I like the Vortex Sphere, reminds me of the PM Spirit Bomb a lot, just different, I like any stage control projectiles honestly.

Shocking Counter doesn't seem that useful, maybe if the stun wasn't so pathetic or if it or damage scaled with your Aura strength, but this seems to be one of those cases where the default move looks better to me.

The Controlled Extreme Speed is good if you find yourself dying a lot to your own recovery, but I prefer the Ramming Speed one just because it lets you get through projectiles.

I would write more about this because I really like Lucario, but I'm also tired, this one took longer than I expected due to all the aura workings and my neck was really hurting from staring down at the 3DS for the last hour of it.

Anyway, my loadout: 2331.

DANICK

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0619-4467-3811
I was expecting Lucario getting some new moves from pkm series, but that was cool

Last edited:

LightWarrior

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0645-6857-2681
Thanks for the info, I'll try and see if I can get it to happen and add it in.

Lucario
Awesome!...Thanks for reviewing my main character's moves:)

Pac-man would be great to see too, do you plan to do an analysis of his moves soon?

Last edited:

epicgordan

Smash Ace
A quick look through the full roster and what custom moves still await identification, and the list is now greatly limited. What I have to go by is the following: Peach, Yoshi, Mr. Game & Watch, Diddy Kong, Ganondorf, Zero Suit Samus, Pit, Ike, Dedede, Meta Knight, Greninja, Captain Falcon, Wii Fit Trainer, and Dr. Mario.

And yes, I know we saw all of the custom moves for some of these characters. Doesn't exactly help us with their identification. We are almost there with Peach, Yoshi and Zero Suit Samus, and all we still need to know the names of Captain Falcon and Ike's custom moves. Everybody else still has quite a ways to go, with Mr. Game & Watch, Falco, and Dr. Mario so far having been completely ignored in the custom moves department.

Last edited:

JUr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JorgeUr
3DS FC
4957-3388-8097
Thanks for the work @ JoeInky JoeInky , maybe we know all of the customs but the deepness of your analysis easily triumphs over a youtube video :grin:

I really like the customs of Lucario, they have potential to make really different versions of the character, a fast special attack dps, a hard hitter with some setup, etc etc...

EchoesOfRain

Smash Apprentice
After reading the custom double team for lucario, makes me curious about greninja's custom Substitute

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
This is like a PoTD but focused on custom moves! Great job with these, JoeInky

And to answer your question from weeks ago on GAF, yes, I was qq more there.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
Wonderful job on these custom movesets. Also I really like how u did a low, mid, and high percent damage with Lucario. Can't w8 until u post more.:)

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Is Link done? I am very curious about his up special and neutral special variants.

Top Bottom