• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most disappointing games?

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
Red Faction. Hands down.

I am not the biggest fan of first-person shooters, so in order for me to get invested, it has to have a good hook (Bioshock's narrative style, Perfect Dark's amazing multiplayer, etc.). And Red Faction caught my eyes thanks to the Geomod engine that would allow you to destroy your environment. The back of the box bragged "For the first time ever destroy and alter the environment in real time!" with the examples of "Don't fight the convey...just destroy the bridge" and "Can't find the key? Create your own door!" I thought this was awesome; I loved the idea of being able to improvise your own solutions to the situations presented rather than being forced to just shoot through corridors of enemies.

That's not what I got. Oh, you can destroy bridges and create doors, all right. But only when the game wants you to. You can destroy layers of most walls, but you eventually reach a metal barrier or some other arbitrary limit that stops you from going any further. Any place you actually can break through into another room or hallway is clearly marked, sometimes with a big old red X. And areas where you can destroy bridges or some similar large-scale structure are staged so that is the centerpiece of the room and using the geomod engine to destroy the environment is the obviously intended solution (and even then, only by shooting the right spots).

Scripted improvisation. The notion baffles me. The game is not a bad first-person shooter and the had the game not focused on advertising the ability to "alter the environment" and "create your own doors", the places where you can do that would have been novel and probably pretty entertaining. But it did and it is the only situation I can think of where I felt the game box legitimately straight up deceived me.

Kos-MosPlushie

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kos-MosPlushie
Epic Mickey for the Wii. I followed that game once I seen the old concept art, and after watching some old Oswald the Lucky Rabbit cartoons I was hooked and I couldn't wait to play that game. I waited years for that game and when it finally came out I was completely disappointed. Moral choice system that really does nothing, layers of fetch quests that more often than not make you have to pay for whatever item it is at the end, 2D stages which while it sounds nice on paper, in practice it was fun once, and was never fun again after that, painting or thinning areas meant absolutely nothing. What were supposed to be creepy animatronics turned into harmless heads with an irritating side-quest to get the limbs for said animatronic.

Yurika

Smash Rookie
Canvas 2 (a visual novel) but maybe it's because I didn't like the objectives of that one and having to put forth the effort to complete it.

In terms of console games? Tough one, I guess GoldenEye: Rogue Agent? It just didn't have the feel of the other GoldenEye games I've legitimately enjoyed before it.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I suppose I'll post some of mine.

Lufia DS - Lufia 2 is one of my favorite RPGs ever. This game is more of a "reimagining" rather than a remake since it changes some things around with the story and characters. It just wasn't handled right and it wasn't quite the same. It's disappointing since I'm positive the changes were made from Square-Enix since they were the publisher. The original developing team actually worked on this, but the artwork shift, direction, and the gameplay (which is now real time) was a little unnecessary.

On a positive note, the OST is as godlike as ever.

Mega Man Star Force - Keep in mind that I haven't played the sequels or even finished the first one yet, but this game's also on my list. First problem were the battles. Really simplified compared to the BN series which had lots more depth. Another was the story. The future setting was nice, but the status of the main character brought some problems. You had a unique ability that others didn't have. Instead of traveling the net in the BN series and meeting net navis and programs, all you get are programs. You lose out on a bit of interaction with part of the world. I own copies of the three games, so I'll finish them all eventually.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Epic Mickey for the Wii. I followed that game once I seen the old concept art, and after watching some old Oswald the Lucky Rabbit cartoons I was hooked and I couldn't wait to play that game. I waited years for that game and when it finally came out I was completely disappointed. Moral choice system that really does nothing, layers of fetch quests that more often than not make you have to pay for whatever item it is at the end, 2D stages which while it sounds nice on paper, in practice it was fun once, and was never fun again after that, painting or thinning areas meant absolutely nothing. What were supposed to be creepy animatronics turned into harmless heads with an irritating side-quest to get the limbs for said animatronic.
Doesn't help that the game controlled like a platformer from 1997 either.

Booster

Smash Lord
I suppose I'll post some of mine.

Lufia DS - Lufia 2 is one of my favorite RPGs ever. This game is more of a "reimagining" rather than a remake since it changes some things around with the story and characters. It just wasn't handled right and it wasn't quite the same. It's disappointing since I'm positive the changes were made from Square-Enix since they were the publisher. The original developing team actually worked on this, but the artwork shift, direction, and the gameplay (which is now real time) was a little unnecessary.

On a positive note, the OST is as godlike as ever.

Mega Man Star Force - Keep in mind that I haven't played the sequels or even finished the first one yet, but this game's also on my list. First problem were the battles. Really simplified compared to the BN series which had lots more depth. Another was the story. The future setting was nice, but the status of the main character brought some problems. You had a unique ability that others didn't have. Instead of traveling the net in the BN series and meeting net navis and programs, all you get are programs. You lose out on a bit of interaction with part of the world. I own copies of the three games, so I'll finish them all eventually.
I loved the first Lufia, I even own a copy of it, mom bought it for me. If Square Enix *apparently* owns the Lufia license why aren't they making more? Oh yeah I know why: They focus on too much at once.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I'm pretty sure Square didn't develop Lufia on the DS, they just published it. And considering there was almost a ten year gap between the DS one and the previous one, I wouldn't hope for a new one any time soon.

Booster

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure Square didn't develop Lufia on the DS, they just published it. And considering there was almost a ten year gap between the DS one and the previous one, I wouldn't hope for a new one any time soon.
Enjoy the Lufia 1 remake coming to Nintendo 4DS in 2018 xP

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Paper Mario: Sticker Star
I pre-ordered this game when I got my 3DS at launch. I thought that it was going to be good, returning back to the series roots. ...Boy was I wrong.
Before I left my house to get the game, I saw GameXplain's review of it and they gave it a 1.5/5. I thought, "Is the game really that bad?" I didn't want to believe it.

When I first played the game, I immediately didn't really like it. First off, there is absolutely no story. OK, there is, but it's back the whole "Bowser kidnaps Peach! Oh no! Save her!" plot. It's pretty disappointing since the Mario RPGs tend to stray away from this very basic plot.
What hurts the game is not knowing where to go. I got lost several times at the beginning and I heard the game later on was going to make you even more confused and lost. It also doesn't help that the boss fights are, for some reason, difficult. I got owned on the first boss and I needed to get the Scissors. I accidentally selected the Fan, but I still managed to beat it with little of my health and stickers remaining.
It was also disappointing how Luigi didn't have a role in this game. After receiving a major role in Super Paper Mario, it's a massive shame to see him get this kind of a downgrade in terms of importance in the overall game.

What kills the game for me as a whole were the battles. I'm going to say this right now: You don't need to battle at all. You don't get EXP from killing enemies, you only get HP by finding it, and you only get more powerful with stickers. Heck, you don't get some sort of reward for killing the enemies unless you kill them all on your first turn. I was ticked off when I realized that. All of that fighting that I was doing and the kind of experience I was looking for was killed. What's the point of this game being an RPG if battling doesn't matter? The gameplay is even a step-down from Thousand Year Door, especially when there aren't any partners to use in battle.

This game ticked me off and I sold it months later when I first got it near its initial release. I sold it and bought Kid Icarus: Uprising and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D to replace it in my 3DS collection.

I can at least forgive Intelligent Systems, especially when I played Fire Emblem: Awakening months ago and I love that game! But... I just can't play future installments in the Paper Mario series. I'm too disappointed to even want to follow this franchise. It was bad, really bad. I'm fine with Paper Mario, The Thousand Year Door, and Super Paper Mario.

Personally, what Sonic 06 did to the Sonic fanbase is what Sticker Star did to me. Yes, I find it to be that bad and I hate it that much.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I pre-ordered this game when I got my 3DS at launch. I thought that it was going to be good, returning back to the series roots. ...Boy was I wrong.
Before I left my house to get the game, I saw GameXplain's review of it and they gave it a 1.5/5. I thought, "Is the game really that bad?" I didn't want to believe it.

When I first played the game, I immediately didn't really like it. First off, there is absolutely no story. OK, there is, but it's back the whole "Bowser kidnaps Peach! Oh no! Save her!" plot. It's pretty disappointing since the Mario RPGs tend to stray away from this very basic plot.
What hurts the game is not knowing where to go. I got lost several times at the beginning and I heard the game later on was going to make you even more confused and lost. It also doesn't help that the boss fights are, for some reason, difficult. I got owned on the first boss and I needed to get the Scissors. I accidentally selected the Fan, but I still managed to beat it with little of my health and stickers remaining.
It was also disappointing how Luigi didn't have a role in this game. After receiving a major role in Super Paper Mario, it's a massive shame to see him get this kind of a downgrade in terms of importance in the overall game.

What kills the game for me as a whole were the battles. I'm going to say this right now: You don't need to battle at all. You don't get EXP from killing enemies, you only get HP by finding it, and you only get more powerful with stickers. Heck, you don't get some sort of reward for killing the enemies unless you kill them all on your first turn. I was ticked off when I realized that. All of that fighting that I was doing and the kind of experience I was looking for was killed. What's the point of this game being an RPG if battling doesn't matter? The gameplay is even a step-down from Thousand Year Door, especially when there aren't any partners to use in battle.

This game ticked me off and I sold it months later when I first got it near its initial release. I sold it and bought Kid Icarus: Uprising and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D to replace it in my 3DS collection.

I can at least forgive Intelligent Systems, especially when I played Fire Emblem: Awakening months ago and I love that game! But... I just can't play future installments in the Paper Mario series. I'm too disappointed to even want to follow this franchise. It was bad, really bad. I'm fine with Paper Mario, The Thousand Year Door, and Super Paper Mario.

Personally, what Sonic 06 did to the Sonic fanbase is what Sticker Star did to me. Yes, I find it to be that bad and I hate it that much.
I completely agree with all of this.
The music and art did not justify completely ruining literally everything I liked about Paper Mario 1 & 2 and then some.

Booster

Smash Lord

I can understand that, Final Fantasy 13 did the same to me. I'm not pre-ordering Final Fantasy XV no matter what.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Dr. Jekyll and Mr.Hyde?:D Who Framed Roger Rabbit :D? Day One Garry's Incident:D? Super Smash Bros Brawl (Just kidding):D? What about Quest 64?
Yeah, but those games (save for maybe Quest 64) weren't expected to be any good. I mean, a game where you play as Dr. Jekyll? A movie game that's published by LJN? Games, like Final Fantasy and Duke Nukem have a higher pedigree as far as franchises go, so when they disappoint, they really disappoint.

Little known fact: "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", although published by LJN, was actually developed by Rare. Yes, the same Rare that gave us outstanding titles, such as Donkey Kong Country, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Kameo, and Killer Instinct, and is now Microsoft's b****. Talk about a rise to power, just to have it taken away. On that note...

finalark

SNORLAX
I'd actually point to Diamond and Pearl at the point where the series series took a dip in quality (I haven't played platinum but I hear it fixes most of the issues with D/P). Although I enjoyed B/W and X/Y, even if X/Y wasn't nearly as ambitious and played it a bit too safe for me.

Pokemon 5-2 though. I would say that they were let downs since they really were more of the same, but I can't say I was really expecting anything else.

Booster

Smash Lord
Yeah, but those games (save for maybe Quest 64) weren't expected to be any good. I mean, a game where you play as Dr. Jekyll? A movie game that's published by LJN? Games, like Final Fantasy and Duke Nukem have a higher pedigree as far as franchises go, so when they disappoint, they really disappoint.

Little known fact: "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", although published by LJN, was actually developed by Rare. Yes, the same Rare that gave us outstanding titles, such as Donkey Kong Country, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Kameo, and Killer Instinct, and is now Microsoft's b****. Talk about a rise to power, just to have it taken away. On that note...

Modern Rareware is my least favorite game studio, then my second least favorite is EA, then Square, then Sega and then Microsoft themselves.

Banjo and Kazooie Nuts and Bolts is worse then Sonic 06, Sonic 06 atleast TRIED to stick to the series core roots (Though it didn't try very hard), Banjo and Kazooie Nuts and Bolts actually trashed the classic gameplay, even going as far as to say people want Edgy FPS games. Honestly I'm glad Rareware is finally dying off, I'm sick of these half assed Kinect games and games that spit on their predecessor's legacies. Someone at Rareware should've said something about the games that bastardized their predecessors rather then selling them anyway for a quick buck :/

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Y'all can **** on Shadow the Hedgehog all you want. I bought Shadow the Hedgehog. It's embarrassing. It is not my most disappointing purchase, though. At least Shadow has interesting physics to master, a lot of content to complete, and that giant list of all possible routes in your Library.

No, my most disappointing purchase is Pokemon Battle Revolution. No story, just doubles this, doubles that, fight this guy, fight that guy. No minigames. None of the prizes were actually valuable to DPPt (no gym leader TMs, specifically). Worst purchase you could make.

Booster

Smash Lord
Y'all can **** on Shadow the Hedgehog all you want. I bought Shadow the Hedgehog. It's embarrassing. It is not my most disappointing purchase, though. At least Shadow has interesting physics to master, a lot of content to complete, and that giant list of all possible routes in your Library.

No, my most disappointing purchase is Pokemon Battle Revolution. No story, just doubles this, doubles that, fight this guy, fight that guy. No minigames. None of the prizes were actually valuable to DPPt (no gym leader TMs, specifically). Worst purchase you could make.
Honestly I found Shadow the Hedgehog to be somewhat fun, better then Sonic Heroes atleast.

About Battle Revolution, long story short the best part of it for me was taking advantage of a bunch of Gamestop promotions and trading it in for $30. Still, atleast it's a game unlike Pokemon Channel which is ungodly boring.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
Xenosaga[PS2] - episode 2 pretty much made up for part 1

Left 4 Dead[PC]- Valve promised(promises lol) that they would have a major DLC pack coming for the game and packaged it as left4dead2 one year after the original came out. I purchased a holiday pack in December as a xmas gift of 3 copies for 99.99 for a couple of friends and myself. We were pissed and refused to buy left4dead2. :mad:

Star Fox Assault[Gamecube]- My friends and I had desperately been looking for something besides melee when we wanted to play something else. We picked this up and tried for hours to like it and make it work. It never happened. We ended up playing Custom Robo more than Star Fox Assault. :c

Double Dragon 3[NES]- holy crap was this game super hard. Not only did you have 1 life but the fun of teaming up with a friend was damn near impossible because you would hit each other quite often. Without the game genie you were not beating this game.

Duke Nuken Forever[PC]- This game was in development since I was in high school as a sophomore(1997) and it never came out until umpteen years later when no one cared about Duke Nukem anymore. It was an ongoing joke how it was coming out soon and never did.

World of Warcraft[PC]- When vanilla launched my friend and I grinded out hours upon hours. My friend and I played on server Illidan so the drama and forums were nothing but thesis length flame wars including real life deaths by players being remembered by virtual in game funerals. Death threats and drama galore. The burning Crusade came out and we were still happy with the game. Once Wrath of the Lich King neared launch PvP became an AFK fest with rewarding players for virtually doing nothing other than just showing up to the battlefield. 2 hour Alterac Valley battles were gone and cross server battlegrounds were introduced. There was no more of your guild queue'ing up against another local server guild so common rivals disappeared.

This is the WoW funeral that took place on our server that made Illidan world famous and created some of the most epic world PvP battles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHJVolaC8pw

finalark

SNORLAX
This game is infamous these days, but people forget that while it was in development it had quite a bit of hype around it. Heavy Rain had the potential to be an absolutely phenomenal, stand out member of the adventure game genre and an absolute staple in any PS3 owner's library.

Instead we got a mediocre game and story with horribly flat voice acting, hilariously bad dialog and writing that could only be punched out by the world's worst hack. Which is a shame, because on paper Heavy Rain's narrative could make an awesome mystery story.

Booster

Smash Lord
This game is infamous these days, but people forget that while it was in development it had quite a bit of hype around it. Heavy Rain had the potential to be an absolutely phenomenal, stand out member of the adventure game genre and an absolute staple in any PS3 owner's library.

Instead we got a mediocre game and story with horribly flat voice acting, hilariously bad dialog and writing that could only be punched out by the world's worst hack. Which is a shame, because on paper Heavy Rain's narrative could make an awesome mystery story.
I liked it, obviously not for the gameplay, but because of how great the villain was. Wasn't worth being my only Christmas Present from my grandma and grandpa though. Gameplay wise it's basically like those ****ty FMV games, but with much more appealing graphics...in 10 years they'll look like garbage, like Final Fantasy 7 (Most 8 bit and 16 bit games looked better then that eyesore)

Last edited:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
What about this game? I understand it was quite hyped. With ads that read, "Everything that game designer John Romero touches turns to gore and gold", "Suck it down", and more infamously, "John Romero's about to make you his b****". Mind you, the game took about 3 years of development (considered a long time back then). This was also a game by John Romero, a man who had a big hand behind legendary titles, such as "Doom". "Wolfenstein 3D", and "Quake". You can imagine the sheer disappointment when players were subjected to this mess of a game.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I'm sure more will come to mind, but the obvious one to me that jumps out at me right away is Resident Evil 5. I've never thrown my hands up in a "wtf is this, even?" manner during gameplay before I got to the ridiculousness of being gunned down by zombies.

And well...the ending. I could go on for ages about that, but I'm just going to leave it at that.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Resident Evil has the most bloated and convoluted storyline ever, at this point.

Remember when you just got to kill zombies? :3

GeNo-BreaKer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeNo-BreaKer-01
3DS FC
1220-6182-2346
Metroid Other M and Super Smash Bros. Brawl were awful compared to their predecessor. Other M took what made the series awesome (exploration, collecting, isolation, etc.) and turned Samus from a badass independent warrior into a submissive weakling who suddenly gets PTSD and takes orders even though she is a renowned bounty hunter. Brawl took Melee and made it into a slow floaty tripping fest, which compared to Melee's fast paced rewarding offensive combat, was a huge step down in quality. All of this just to please the Wii Sports casuals who probably only played the game for 2 weeks. Thank god Sakurai listened to Brawl's complaints. Smash 4, judging from the demo, is definitely a great sequel to Melee.

finalark

SNORLAX

This game could have been an incredible, mold-breaker that finally moved MMORPGs away from the WoW format. This game could have been the single most open-ended, player-driven MMORPG on the market. Imagine it, one of your guild mates sends a message into chat saying that he found some really neat ruins (instanced, of course) and asks if anyone wants to explore them with him. You decide that, since you just got done crafting and you're in a mood for an adventure, to go join him. After fighting some monsters and finding some neat magic items, you leave only to notice some kind of tower out in the distance. You message one of your buddies who soon joins you and your friend. Next thing you know, this tower is filled with cultists who have opened a portal to Oblivion that you can go in and explore.

Or what if the game's guilds actually mattered? What if you were playing a rouge or assassin-like character and joined the thief's guild or the dark brotherhood, where you're given quests to steal items or kill NPCs. Fulfilling these tasks would give you rewards with your guild, but if a player in say, the fighter's guild or the blades caught you in the act they could fight you to gain rewards from their own guilds.

But no. Instead, we got a generic, run-of-the-mill cartoony, faction-based hotbar MMO because god forbid anybody even tries to move away from the WoW formula. It doesn't help that there's been this nasty trend of shoving single-player style story lines and game design where they don't belong. I can't say I was terribly disappointed, since day one this was what I was expecting. Still, part of me really hoped that they would actually adapt the Elder Scrolls game play to the genre instead of just painting a generic MMO with a can of TES.

Although I only ever played the beta, so I might be talking out my ass hard. But from what I played, that was the impression I got.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and having to either buy the collectors edition or pay extra to play as my favorite race, the Imperials, was just a kick to the goddamn balls for me. I have zero problem paying a subscription fee, but I do have a problem with being forced to pay extra to play the race I want to play.

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
I agree with finalark. The Elder Scrolls was never really impressive in the first place, at least in my opinion, but Online took the cake in terms of how far Zenimax could push it before everyone said "Y'know, this kinda sucks."

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm actually a long time fan of the series. I would say that's why I'm kinda butthurt over this game, but I never thought TES needed multiplayer. I think it's just that the game had some real potential to be something special but Zenimax didn't even try to do anything different or use the licence in a creative way.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Not that it has become a Melee/Brawl debate, just remember common sense and that I'm watching the thread.

Downnice

Smash Rookie
Grand Theft Auto IV. I played it and did enjoy it but the game was stripped of features from San Andreas and the graphics were really greyish and depression unlike V which is awesome. Good game but was a disappointment especially coming from Rockstar which I consider one of the gold standards of gaming. 7/10

Elder Scrolls Online: It is improving but I was expecting a lot more. It really felt like a grindfest more than anything 5.5/10

Astraea31

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure if it's exactly "disappointing" but Persona 3 Portable. This was a month after coming off of P4G and I was expecting something amazing. Unfortunately for me everything was just felt off for me. The social links, the story, the pacing.. It just felt like P3P was going for this really super edgy/dark storyline which COULD have worked if the writing was better, but it came off as generic. P4G didn't try super hard at what it did, and came off as light and charming which worked really well for it.

fe_wander

Smash Cadet
For me, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon is the most disappointing. I just can't get much enjoyment playing that game, even though I love the rest of the series. The art style is awful, the story is nonexistent (to be expected, considering it's a remake, but still) and the gameplay is just lacking.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
The only three games I can truly say I despised are:

Alice in Wonderland for the PS3. I'm not even sure if that's the correct name.

Demon's Souls. So blah.

Other M.

Booster

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if it's exactly "disappointing" but Persona 3 Portable. This was a month after coming off of P4G and I was expecting something amazing. Unfortunately for me everything was just felt off for me. The social links, the story, the pacing.. It just felt like P3P was going for this really super edgy/dark storyline which COULD have worked if the writing was better, but it came off as generic. P4G didn't try super hard at what it did, and came off as light and charming which worked really well for it.
Oh my god agreed, I hated Persona 3 Arena, it ate a great PS2 game and **** it out into something horrible:

Animated Cutscenes are gone, enjoy your awkward slideshow!
Female Mode is pointless, like Sonic 06 DLC (Yes that exists)
Your character can no longer wield any weapon he wants and is restricted to a lousy long sword
Graphics got a downgrade with sharp edges
Exploration has been reduced to point and click (Except Dungeons)
All the content from FES Edition is gone
The New original music from female mode is so bad

I don't know why people consider this one of the best PSP games, it's horrible and takes away everything we loved about the original Persona 3 and FES. It's not like PSP couldn't handle the real game it was as powerful as PS2, but instead we get a poor man's version of Persona 3 FES. This game can eat a ****. Had they just ported Persona 3 FES LIKE THEY ****ING SHOULD HAVE, this would've been a much better game....instead we get a slideshow and point and click exploration inplace of beautifully animated cutscenes and full 3D Exploration.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Some FeMC social links were handled them much better than P3 male route or P4's. Probably the best feature of P3P.

Makes sense though since the S Links were written after P3 and P4 were made, so they got a lot better at it.

And no Booster, PSP is not as strong as a PS2. The team hated that they had to downgrade it.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I'll never understand Booster's fascination with comparing graphics from two different hardware builds.

Top Bottom