• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most disappointing games?

Booster

Smash Lord
We've all played disappointing videogames, most of them Sonic games, so let us talk about disappointing games BESIDES Sonic the ****ing Hedgehog. I want to see what everyone's most disappointing games are besides Sonic games, when I ask people about disappointing games they usually talk about Sanic da Hegehog. I understand Sonic is the most disappointing game series ever created, but really, I've had enough. I want to broaden my horizons and talk about disappointing experiences that have nothing to do with Sonak the Beefhog.

The most disappointing game for me in recent years would have to be Sly Cooper Thieves in Time, a relatively obscure game due to it being a Platformer on Playstation 3 that got a retail release. This game is really disappointing, the last Sly game that was released (Besides the HD Collection) was Sly Cooper 3 in 2005, it would be 8 years before we got another Sly Cooper game, unfortunately it was made by Monkeys. No seriously their company mascot is a trio of screaming monkeys.

Considering the wait, this game was not worth it at all aside from the fact they only asked $40 for it (Maybe it was $30?). Had they asked for more, I would consider this game to be a complete rip off. Not only is this game not as good as the original 3 but it's far uglier too ingame, the Comic Book style cutscenes look great. The Levels are bigger, but they're far emptier then the previous games, they're too big for the very little amount of content we're offered.

Then to top it off it STILL has the short length of the original 3 games. I can understand why the original 3 are shorter, they were Platformers made on PS2, but this is on PS3, this is a much more powerful console that can handle more and with Bluray discs can handle a lengthier game, but instead the monkeys who made this game watered down the gameplay from the previous games, hit the game with the Fugly (Fugly is ****ing and ugly combined into a shorter word) Ray and made it too short.

Sony should've made Sucker Punch make this game as opposed to those stupid monkeys, but they let them do it simply because they ported over the HD Collection. Umm, they DID know porting games is COMPLETELY different from developing an entirely new game right? Plus the previous games Sanzaru developed were shovelware like Ninja Reflex, the PS2 version of Secret Agent Clank and are currently developing Sonic Boom for 3DS, who thought it was a good idea to let some amateur Indie trash company touch one of the most beloved game series on PS2?

Well I have an answer this time. It was Sony and Sucker Punch. This game is incredibly disappointing and it's no wonder it never got a Japanese release, no one in Japan wanted to play this game. This game would've been alright as a PSN Digital Only Game like Bentley's Hackpack was, but not as a retail game and this is why this has been the most recent disappointing game I've played. I've played more disappointing games, but I wanted to focus on a recent experience.

Long Story short: Don't hand a valuable IP over just because they successfully PORTED Playstation 2 games to PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
Why is every thread you make about a completely innocuous thing you hate with an enviable passion?

Game was kind of short like every other game in the series WORST EVER ugh this is exhausting just to read.

finalark

SNORLAX
I don't know, Price of Persia 2008 I guess? I just don't buy into hype anymore, even for series that I love to death. When I was a kid I used to get super hyped for things but even if the game wasn't up to my expectations I still enjoyed it. These days I just keep an open mind about things and don't let myself get wrapped up in advertising.

Although I will agree that Sly 4 was incredibly underwhelming. I couldn't even get past the first world without getting bored. I think that's the point where I realized that the reason why Sucker Punch abandoned the series was because there really was just nothing more they could do with it. Say what you will about the developer, but there's nothing they could have done short of completely re-hauling the series formula to make it not feel like another rehash of Sly 2.

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
Why is every thread you make about a completely innocuous thing you hate with an enviable passion?

Game was kind of short like every other game in the series WORST EVER ugh this is exhausting just to read.
Tell me something...how do I block you? You're annoying.

Twewy

Smash Lord
To stay on topic, I'll go ahead and say Project X Zone was disappointing. Don't get me wrong, it's an alright game in itself, but the game drags on for a long while, and a good half of it is repetitive missions where 989834295834968968 and a half enemies decide to beat up your small group of assorted Japanese video game characters.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
I actually greatly enjoyed Sly 4, I thought it was pretty true to the original feel of the first trilogy, and was exactly what I was craving for as far as Sly goes. Sure, as far as story goes 3 is the absolute magnum opus of Sly. Heck, I'd even kill for a comic series if even Sonic gets one! As far as disappointment in games go, Soul Calibur V left SO MUCH to be desired. It's got no combo game, the guest character failed to one up its predecessor (that being Darth Vader), the new characters weren't very good, and the stages were pretty constricted as far as Soul Calibur stages go. SCIV was so much better in every aspect.

Booster

Smash Lord

The whole trilogy in fact (why was this the first ff the get THREE games!?)
Those games are trash, I was tempted to put Final Fantasy 13 as my most disappointing game instead, but decided to go with Sly Cooper 4 because 13 is an unlucky number.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon was a letdown compared to the rest of the FE series. It was essentially just the NES original ported to the DS with modern graphics, and added pretty much none of the mechanics from newer FE games. I mean, it was still better than a lot of other DS games, but disappointing by FE's usually high standards. At least the sequel was a huge step up.

Booster

Smash Lord
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon was a letdown compared to the rest of the FE series. It was essentially just the NES original ported to the DS with modern graphics, and added pretty much none of the mechanics from newer FE games. I mean, it was still better than a lot of other DS games, but disappointing by FE's usually high standards. At least the sequel was a huge step up.
I tried it. I found it to be really boring, but since it was my first Fire Emblem I didn't have standards for the series.

Trickerhere

Smash Ace
Super Smash Bros Brawl haha...Just kidding lol. Probably Kingdom Hearts Re coded.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Final Fantasy 13, Final Fantasy 13-2, LoZ Spirit Tracks, Star Fox Command, other m, Megaman X6, Megaman X7, Megaman Battle Network 5,

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
I think just Mega Man series in general went downhill for a while until it just vanished. Very disappointing. While I do hold a lot of hope for Mighty No. 9, we all know it's not Mega Man no matter how similar it looks or feels to play. Yes, I think it'll be fun and it's going to be hours and hours of awesome classic style gameplay, it's not Mega Man. </3 Sorry Inafune

Twewy

Smash Lord
Gotta agree, I like the Blue Bomber too, but he dug his own grave.

finalark

SNORLAX
I liked Final Fantasy XIII.

I tried it. I found it to be really boring, but since it was my first Fire Emblem I didn't have standards for the series.
Shadow Dragon is probably the worst place to start the series. Its like trying to get into Castlevania through Castlevania 64.

Then again, if turn based strategy just doesn't appeal to you then you'll probably dislike the series anyway.

Booster

Smash Lord
Final Fantasy 13, Final Fantasy 13-2, LoZ Spirit Tracks, Star Fox Command, other m, Megaman X6, Megaman X7, Megaman Battle Network 5,
If only we could be friends cause that list is perfect. What do you think of Lightning Returns though?

ShyGuy16

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Juliansg16
3DS FC
0516-7704-2697
As far as disappointments go, I have to give it to Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity. It's not that it was a bad game at all, it was really just a step down for the series. They removed one of the coolest aspects of the game (the deeply detailed and variable character selection) and slashed it to five characters that you get to choose from. The story was considerably less engaging, although Explorers of Darkness was one of only two pieces of media to make me cry,
(The other being the scene from Titanic where the mom tucks her kids into bed so they won't notice the drowning)
so it was admittedly a tough act to follow. Overall I just found myself having less fun than usual.

Also while I'm here, while I won't go so far to call it a disappointment, Paper Mario Sticker Star warrants mentioning. While the gameplay was fine and the dialogue was alright, it guts out story at Miyamoto's insistence. While I understand that Mario is Mr. Miyamoto's baby, and adding a large story to a vanilla Mario game would be a little silly, Paper Mario has garnered its fanbase through its fantastic story-telling elements alongside stellar gameplay. Add to this the idea of leaving partners and other core gameplay elements on the cutting room floor overall hinders this game where Super Paper Mario succeeded. SPM may have been a major overhaul but it kept the heart of the series in mind. I'm cool with calling Sticker Star part of the Paper Mario franchise, but it's glaringly obvious that it's the weakest of the four. My headcanon chalks this up as playing with the tried and true formula again, but PM5 should think about going back to the series' roots or it may go the way of Mario Party... (Do NOT get me started on the conversion to Mini-Stars, I don't really wanna start nothin' here.)

Booster

Smash Lord
As far as disappointments go, I have to give it to Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity. It's not that it was a bad game at all, it was really just a step down for the series. They removed one of the coolest aspects of the game (the deeply detailed and variable character selection) and slashed it to five characters that you get to choose from. The story was considerably less engaging, although Explorers of Darkness was one of only two pieces of media to make me cry,
(The other being the scene from Titanic where the mom tucks her kids into bed so they won't notice the drowning)
so it was admittedly a tough act to follow. Overall I just found myself having less fun than usual.

Also while I'm here, while I won't go so far to call it a disappointment, Paper Mario Sticker Star warrants mentioning. While the gameplay was fine and the dialogue was alright, it guts out story at Miyamoto's insistence. While I understand that Mario is Mr. Miyamoto's baby, and adding a large story to a vanilla Mario game would be a little silly, Paper Mario has garnered its fanbase through its fantastic story-telling elements alongside stellar gameplay. Add to this the idea of leaving partners and other core gameplay elements on the cutting room floor overall hinders this game where Super Paper Mario succeeded. SPM may have been a major overhaul but it kept the heart of the series in mind. I'm cool with calling Sticker Star part of the Paper Mario franchise, but it's glaringly obvious that it's the weakest of the four. My headcanon chalks this up as playing with the tried and true formula again, but PM5 should think about going back to the series' roots or it may go the way of Mario Party... (Do NOT get me started on the conversion to Mini-Stars, I don't really wanna start nothin' here.)
I've only heard bad things about Sticker Star...it's hard to believe there hasn't been a Paper Mario yet that's better then Thousand Year Door.

SmashingObjection

Smash Cadet
NNID
Leviathan
3DS FC
1521-5713-8600
There's a free demo. I tried it, it's way better then 13 and 13-2 but it's still pretty bad.
It's actually worse then the first two. Sure they improved the combat system and all credit to them for that. Outside of that however, its graphically rushed (pop in and low res npc's everywhere), the quests are lazy and are 90% fetch quests that are positioned to make you lap around the map to complete them all (which the game requires to an extent), and the story....... my god. Let me put it this way, they literally say at one point "God has brought us back without emotion. We can't express ourselves anymore". So that apparently justifies them making Lightning and Hope even more uninteresting.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
As far as disappointments go, I have to give it to Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity. It's not that it was a bad game at all, it was really just a step down for the series. They removed one of the coolest aspects of the game (the deeply detailed and variable character selection) and slashed it to five characters that you get to choose from. The story was considerably less engaging, although Explorers of Darkness was one of only two pieces of media to make me cry
Yeah, GTI was pretty disappointing, at least compared to what came before it. I was bracing myself for the worst after hearing plenty of negative feedback before playing it, and I didn't find anything too terrible outside of slow, unskippable dialogue. It still didn't leave much of an impression on me compared to its predecessors.
As for my personal biggest disappointment, I would say Skyward Sword. I don't feel motion controls translate well to an in-depth 50 hour game, though I enjoy them enough for short-burst types of games like Wii Sports. After playing for a while I just don't feel like making precise slashes and usually lapse into waggling the controller. The control scheme was fun for a while, but eventually became grating. That issue was the big one for me that exacerbated its other flaws and made them all the more irritating, and while it isn't a bad game and definitely had its strong points, it's the one Zelda I didn't particularly enjoy overall.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Megaman X6

When I was a lot younger, I really wanted this game. I've played X1 up to X5 at that point, but never managed to get a copy of X6.

Fast forward a few years later, I managed to play the game. Aside from the music, I found the game to be absolutely horrendous. The game is a good example of artificial difficulty, and I blame the enemy and level designs.

IIRC, there's one stage (Blaze Heatnix) where you literally have to fight the same mini-boss at least 5 times, with every successive battle throwing more at you. This boss happens to have a large health bar as well and just playing that stage with X is hell. They also introduced this mechanic called the Nightmare Phenomenon that basically can make the ridiculous levels even more ridiculous.

I can go on and on about how much I hate this game, but I think this should be enough.
It's very disappointing, as I do love the Megaman X series, and I do know that the game was created on an extremely tight schedule, but this game is just a tragedy.

Last edited:

Dan Soup

Smash Rookie
Bioshock Infinite. It was bigged up to me so much and fell so short of my expectations. The gameplay was standard (Only two weapons at a time, though? Really?) and the plot was pretty meh but with more holes than Swiss cheese that had lost a gunfight. I played the thing through to the end and it felt like a chore.

finalark

SNORLAX
The gameplay was standard (Only two weapons at a time, though? Really?)
I feel like a lot of the two weapon hate really comes from a "MAH NOSTALGERS" movement in the FPS community a few years ago. When you get down to it, being able to carry a ton of weapons is just not optimal optimal for consoles. IMO, its one of the main reasons why Halo was the first FPS to be truly optimized for consoles (I really don't care for what Goldeneye purists have to say, that game was filled with design choices that were carried over from PC FPS').

The thing is with multiple weapons on consoles is that you always have this massive, screen filling weapon wheel or bar that interrupts the flow of the game by freezing it while you pick your gun. Or if you're really unfortunate you'll have a game like Time Spliters (which I love to death but it certainly had its flaws) where you're stuck desperately scrolling through your weapons while you're under fire and hoping you can find the right one in time. Now, on a PC where you can just hit the 1-8 keys and instantly grab the gun you want this mechanic works fine. But on consoles being able to immediately switch between two weapons at the press of a button is the superior design choice, as it eliminates the above problems.

Of course, if you played Bioshock Infinite on PC this really isn't an excuse. Unfortunately for the PC gaming crowd, most games are optimized for console play these days.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
To stay on topic, I'll go ahead and say Project X Zone was disappointing. Don't get me wrong, it's an alright game in itself, but the game drags on for a long while, and a good half of it is repetitive missions where 989834295834968968 and a half enemies decide to beat up your small group of assorted Japanese video game characters.
Eh, I thought it was decent. I can agree it's completely repetitive. But seeing all those characters was undeniably cool.
Last chapter took me like 3+ hours to do though. God damn.

The whole trilogy in fact (why was this the first ff the get THREE games!?)
FFXIII and XIII-2 are great. The only reason people don't like XIII-2 is because it has Lightning in it. But it's actually a fantastic game. XIII wasn't worth the $60 admission, but it's still very captivating.

Lightning Returns is all over the place. I liked it, but wasn't blown away by it.

I thought Pokemon Diamond was disappointing and cemented my reasoning to never buy a Pokemon game again.
They're not for me.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I thought Pokemon Diamond was disappointing and cemented my reasoning to never buy a Pokemon game again.
They're not for me.
The entire Pokemon 4 series drove me away from the franchise for a while. Although in my case its more along the lines of game play and technical flaws. I thought the world map was poorly designed, a vast majority of the locations and environments were absolutely forgettable, long loading and save times and really, really slow battles. Although there were a few good things, like the reworking on how moves are classified and expanding the mythos of the Pokemon world. But over all the games flaws just dragged down the whole experience for me.

Thankfully, Pokemon 5 addressed nearly ever issue I had with the game and got me back into the series.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Diamond and Pearl weren't the best, but HeartGold was damn good.

Marxally

Smash Apprentice
Banjo-Kazooie for 360, Pokémon X&Y and Sims 4.
I think Duke Nukem is funny, at least, and FF13/13-2 is easy, but nice to play.

Last edited:
Top Bottom