• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most disappointing games?

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
On the PSP to PS2 thing with P3P, I have to agree on that P3P seems kinda watered down from FES (which you should probably play). And I guess the PSP is like...a Playstation 1.5 if I had to guess?

Booster

Smash Lord
Some FeMC social links were handled them much better than P3 male route or P4's. Probably the best feature of P3P.

Makes sense though since the S Links were written after P3 and P4 were made, so they got a lot better at it.

And no Booster, PSP is not as strong as a PS2. The team hated that they had to downgrade it.
The game still sucked, easily the worst remake/demake I've ever played and probably my #1 most overrated game of all time and considering all of the **** I've played (I own nearly 200 games not including digital) that's saying alot. I can't believe people actually like that game and that even my own dad says it's one of the best he's ever played.

I can't stand Persona 3 Portable...I'm not going to condemn anyone who likes it, but I'm still going to question it. You're better off getting an Android tablet and a PS2 Emulator and emulating the original for the REAL Persona 3 Portable experience. The game was such a terrible experience and butchering of a great game that I blocked it from my memory, but reading it again on here opened Pandora's Box and now I remember that horrible, awful butchering.

Last edited:

Nooph

Smash Cadet
i was a bit disappointed with all of the paper mario games after the thousand year door. it's not that they're bad, it's just that the thousand year door was so good, it's near impossible for another game in the series to top it. so far, it hasn't happened in my opinion.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Welp, since I'm here, I've got one. Long post incoming

As a kid, the Spyro PSX Trilogy were hands down my favorite games growing up(You can judge me later). They were fun to play, and replaying them was a joy in and of itself. Sadly, the biggest mistake was Insomniac Games giving the rights to another company. And cue THIS piece of garbage.

I tried to enjoy this game. I really did. But now that I'm older, I've gotta say it: This game is the Spyro equivalent of Sonic 06. This was supposed to be about Spyro going up against both Gnasty Gnorc and Ripto, there were originally supposed to be 120 dragonflies, 4 worlds(ala Spyro 3), 25 levels, 60 FPS, and fast loading times. However, because the ****nugget higher-ups demanded this game be released before the holiday season, we got a glitchfest with poor model animations (the Farmers are a prime example of this), inconsistent framerate, LOOOOOONG loading times, sound issues, graphical glitches, and apparently even lock-ups. Besides that, you only get 1 world, a handful of levels, 90 dragonflies, and the same boss. What's sad is that this game even got a Greatest Hits release that it didn't even deserve. Even Ted Price(President of Insomniac) was ashamed of how awful it was. And if you don't believe me, if you can stomach this....

And that's just the intro. It gets worse.

finalark

SNORLAX
As a kid, the Spyro PSX Trilogy were hands down my favorite games growing up(You can judge me later).
I thought the general census on the original Spyro games is that they were quite good and have held up very well.

Or maybe I'm being myopic since I too grew up on the games and upon replaying them found that they stood the test of time, unlike most games from the PS1/N64/SAT era.

Anyway, Enter the Dragonfly was the point when I just completely quit the series. Kinda. I ended up getting one of the GBA games for Christmas one of the years after EtD came out and found it mediocre at best. Although I hear that Heroes' Tale was actually pretty solid but EtD made me wary of giving any of the non-Insomniac Spyro games a go.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
I thought the general census on the original Spyro games is that they were quite good and have held up very well.

Or maybe I'm being myopic since I too grew up on the games and upon replaying them found that they stood the test of time, unlike most games from the PS1/N64/SAT era.

Anyway, Enter the Dragonfly was the point when I just completely quit the series. Kinda. I ended up getting one of the GBA games for Christmas one of the years after EtD came out and found it mediocre at best. Although I hear that Heroes' Tale was actually pretty solid but EtD made me wary of giving any of the non-Insomniac Spyro games a go.
Well yeah, that's true. The PSX Trilogy being good is the general consensus.

And which GBA one? IMO, Season of Ice was just too hard for no reason other than the fact it tried too hard to convert 3D platforming to a portable console. Season of Flame improved, but there were some issues (That damn Hockey minigame). Attack of the Rhynocs....meh. Spyro Orange would've been a cool Spyro/Crash crossover had it not been the original Mario/Sonic At the Olympics.

I have played A Hero's Tail, and I have to agree with that census. While it's not quite as good as the PSX Trilogy, it's most certainly an improvement over EtD. By far.

D

Deleted member

I 100% agree with you on Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly, @ LordShade67 LordShade67 . Also, I'd like to note that Check Six and Equinoxe, the development studios that were responsible for it, have never made a game since (I assume they disbanded), which isn't very surprising.

I also agree that the newer Spyro installments in general, regardless of their quality, have never lived up to the PS1 era, much like a certain orange bandicoot.

Speaking of which, my pick for the most disappointing game that does not feature a certain speedy blue hedgehog is...

Crash Boom Bang!
Crash Boom Bang.jpg
Developed by Dimps (aka the studio that was involved with the Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush series, Sonic 4: Episodes I & II, the Wii/PS2 version of Sonic Unleashed, and the handheld versions of Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations, and Sonic Lost World), this Mario Party clones's purpose was to celebrate the Crash Bandicoot franchise's 10th anniversary in 2006, and what a disappointing anniversary it was.

I sold my copy a while back, so my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I remember most of the included mini-games being low-quality and not very enjoyable to play. To my recollection, many of these consisted of unresponsive touch controls or blowing into the microphone as hard as possible.

Maybe I'm being harshly negative. Maybe my opinion might change if I gave Crash Boom Bang! another shot, but I honestly don't feel like buying it again.

I'd also like to note that this entry is not even considered by most fans to be the worst in the series. That honor goes to Crash: Mind over Mutant...
...on DS, which I haven't played (I have played the console version, which is a completely different game), nor do I plan to.
Crash Mind Over Mutant DS.jpg

If you couldn't tell already, the Crash series was being ran into the ground. The last installment released was Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 2 for iOS in 2010. The franchise is dead now, and it's not hard to see why.

Last edited by a moderator:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
I know we're not supposed to talk about Sonic games, but it looks like Sonic Bust doesn't disappoint when it comes to disappointing based on what I've seen of it. It's so bad Sega wouldn't send the gaming press review copies so no one would know what a glitchy mess it is. Fortunately, like Sonic 06, hilarious glitch videos look like they could be the gift that keeps on giving.

finalark

SNORLAX
So that's why I haven't see any review for Sonic Boom yet. I was going to wait for those and then decide if it was worth picking up based on what I read the game is like but if SEGA doesn't even have the confidence to send it out to critics then I'll probably be avoiding that one.

Which is a shame, because I thought the last few games were pretty good.

But I digress, this is supposed to be "besides the sonic games."

Rapidkirby3k

"Let's Go!"
NNID
Rapidkirby3k
Switch FC
0884-6756-7584
According to this thread's title, that's quite a difficult question for me to answer. Reminiscing my old gaming memories however, I probably would have to say either the Croc games or Wipeout Fusion.

I used to like the first Croc for PlayStation as a child, but was hugely let down when it came to the second one.

Wipeout Fusion on the other hand, I do love the franchise and its electronic soundtrack, except I personally find Fusion merely 'okay, but nothing extraordinary' compared to the rest. Although I have to admit, I love this 'Funny Break' remix.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I know this thread is supposed to be "besides the Sonic games" but I want to vent some disappointment.

A few reviews finally came in for Sonic Boom. They're all really negative.

Well, thus ends that little revival us Sonic fans were enjoying at the start of the decade. I salute the past few years of genuinely good games that we got out of the blue blur. Maybe we'll get another pocket of quality next decade.

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
Crash of the Titans. Wow, what can I say about this game.

First of all I'd like to say that the new "Jacking" mechanic is a fun concept. If it was incorporated in creative ways it could have been a good game. But controlling monsters is usually only used in combat. And combat is a big part of this game.

For a platforming game there sure is a lack of actual platforming. It's a real shame considering how good the previous games in the series have been in the platforming department. While I'm talking about how good the previous games were I should also mention that a lot of Crash's iconic moves have been changed due to the boring combat system in Crash of the Titans.

I am being a bit hard on this game, but compared to previous Crash games Crash of the Titans is a huge disappointment.

I'm not going to give Mind over Mutant a try because I doubt it improves much from Crash of the Titans.

Last edited:

Duzzzyy

Sing me your lullaby~
NNID
Duzzzyy
Kerbal Space Program, I don't know why but it bored me to death, I was pretty excited for the idea but when I started to play all the hype I heard and had built up just imploded like the Kerbal inside the ****ty spaceship.

VibraKnife

Smash Rookie
I think just Mega Man series in general went downhill for a while until it just vanished. Very disappointing. While I do hold a lot of hope for Mighty No. 9, we all know it's not Mega Man no matter how similar it looks or feels to play. Yes, I think it'll be fun and it's going to be hours and hours of awesome classic style gameplay, it's not Mega Man. </3 Sorry Inafune
I actually really enjoyed MegaMan 9 and 10. They felt like the old games to me, with newer ideas at play.

Destiny would apply here, although I was already disappointed before it even came out.

I suppose my greatest disappointment would be the Assassin's Creed franchise. My dad works on the websites for the franchise, but the only one I enjoyed beyond the multiplayer was AC 4.

Himynameisisaac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Himynameisisaac
We've all played disappointing videogames, most of them Sonic games, so let us talk about disappointing games BESIDES Sonic the ****ing Hedgehog. I want to see what everyone's most disappointing games are besides Sonic games, when I ask people about disappointing games they usually talk about Sanic da Hegehog. I understand Sonic is the most disappointing game series ever created, but really, I've had enough. I want to broaden my horizons and talk about disappointing experiences that have nothing to do with Sonak the Beefhog.
This whole paragraph makes me not even want to join this thread. How many times did you have to state how much you can't the Sonic series?? Jesus.. and Yes, this is coming from a huge "Sanic fanboy".

Himynameisisaac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Himynameisisaac
Buuuut to add to the thread rather than just bash (sorry OP just thought I'd state my opinion) my biggest disappointment was Sticker Star, the FF Series and Pokemon X/Y..

Paper Mario is such an amazing series of games and then they had to ruin it with that trash. and I've heard so many good things about FF and i decided to try it one day and put it down within an hour. Maybe it's just me but it couldn't keep my attention. Don't even get me started with X/Y. I was so disappointing on how boring, dull and quick that game was. With all the hype it got i expected so much more.

X/Y was probably my biggest disappointment.

Last edited:

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
If I had to pick which games disappointed me the most, they'll be these five:

-Paper Mario: Sticker Star-If Miyamoto hadn't meddled with this game, we would've gotten a PM game that actually returns to form. Sadly, it never came to be & all we ever got was an RPG version of NSMB.

-Super Smash Bros. Brawl-A terribly slow game with annoying physics to boot. Thank God Smash 4 was a huge improvement.

-Mario Kart Wii-Not bad, but the rubberband AI really kills the interest I had with this game. If it weren't for the 8th installment, I'd be officially retired from the MK series.

-Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts-Awful game & a terrible way to return a beloved series from the N64 days. It's no wonder everybody who made Rare good left after this. It was a huge disappointment.

-The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass-Love Wind Waker, but I hate this game due to being incredibly repetitive while having terrible controls to boot. Not to mention it also has a garbage story. Sure wish WW had a good follow-up that isn't this.

M.C.Jeducation

Smash Apprentice
Spyro 4: Enter the Dragonfly- The original Spyro trilogy were some of my absolute favourite games as a kid, when I played Spyro 4 it just didn't compare, I never even completed the game.

Metroid: Other M- Metroid is also one of my favourite series and Samus is one one of my favourite characters. My Metroid Headcanon completely ignored this game and I hope future Metroid games do as well.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl- Don't want to start a ****storm so i'm just gonna say this is a joke........ha........ha.

Resident Evil 5: Resident Evil 1-3 were amazing survival horror, Resident Evil 4 was amazing action horror. Resident Evil 5 was boring action bleh.

Silent Hill: Origins and everything after:
Nothing in these games feels the slightest bit like silent hill, now this wouldn't be so bad if they were good games in there own right, but they're not. I hope Silent Hills is better.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Why is this thread's title singling out Sonic games? It's not like there aren't other game series that disappoint.

Anyway...

Spyro 4: Enter the Dragonfly- The original Spyro trilogy were some of my absolute favourite games as a kid, when I played Spyro 4 it just didn't compare, I never even completed the game.
Resident Evil 5: Resident Evil 1-3 were amazing survival horror, Resident Evil 4 was amazing action horror. Resident Evil 5 was boring action bleh.
This, also...
Dark Souls 2. Great game, don't get me wrong, but not as good as the ones before. This is the game series on my mind atm, I'll think of more when I play something else.

Blaze7

Smash Rookie
Destiny. It was fun at first but then its flaws had started to show

EZdelFresco

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CaliKid_E
I remember actually being hyped for both Dragon Ball Z Sagas AND Shadow the Hedgehog. Very dark times for my childhood....

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Tom and Jerry: Fists of Furry for the n64. Fighting games have been my favorite genre ever since I discovered them and to have one featuring my favorite tv show (at the time) was a dream. Little did I realize that everything they used to hype up the game in Nintendo Power had to be unlocked through a dreadfully boring single-player mode and the only characters available at the beginning were Tom and Jerry themselves.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Sticker Star. I was ready for a new Paper Mario game and although I like the Platforming/RPG combo from Super Paper Mario, I loved the straight-up JRPG Paper Marios. I was expecting to get a new masterpiece on Christmas day, neglecting to read any reviews to avoid possible plot spoilers. I played a little bit of it and decided that it just had a rough start, so I would play it a bit more. I played it all the way through the game and am still waiting for it to have as much depth, heart, fun, or challenge as the the original or TTYD (comparing it to those two because the combat is turn-based, so it is a fair comparison). I get very little enjoyment from this game and wish that they would just go back to the JRPG system they had before for at least one game. I remember very little to none of the plot and never did this game evoke an emotional reaction other than boredom. I appreciate the fact that Nintendo is willing to experiment with their franchises, but this game was a complete let-down.

DougX

Smash Champion
My Super Secret Underwater Volcano Lair in Space
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
Paper Mario Sticker Star: I couldn't really get into this game very much at all compared to the first three Paper Mario games... It's just not the same. No real partners or other playable characters. Pretty lame battle system. Not a really exciting story (Especially considering how good the stories were in the previous Paper Mario games, especially Thousand Year Door and Super Paper Mario). It's just dull overall...

Dragon Ball Z Ultimate Tenkaichi: Bad Character Creator. Not-very-exciting gameplay. Lack of important characters. While I did have a little fun with it at times for what it had, it was a disappointment overall. Good thing Xenoverse is coming next month to deliver the real goods that this game didn't have. c:

Last edited:

Chinaux

Smash Ace
smash 3ds and wii u
before i get ******* at for this, i feel the game isn't as good as the hype was for it. also, no story mode instead we have this **** gamemode that nobody likes. for glory is not that fun unless you find someone who isn't toxic and bm with their playstyle. unless they release a story mode DLC or something, i don't think this game is so great.

I still like it, don't get me wrong, it's smash, it's the reason why I joined here, but honestly there was so much hype to it and i feel sort of let down. It's still a good game and all.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
before i get *****ed at for this, i feel the game isn't as good as the hype was for it. also, no story mode instead we have this **** gamemode that nobody likes. for glory is not that fun unless you find someone who isn't toxic and bm with their playstyle. unless they release a story mode DLC or something, i don't think this game is so great.

I still like it, don't get me wrong, it's smash, it's the reason why I joined here, but honestly there was so much hype to it and i feel sort of let down. It's still a good game and all.
This is why you shouldn't fall for hype.

I like the game myself, but there was so many things about it that I feel were a huge letdown. For a few examples, no adventure mode, online battles are only 2 minutes (what), still a lot of clone characters (seriously, wouldn't it hurt to give Ganondorf his own unique moves instead of being a Captain Falcon clone), All-Star Mode is weird as hell & not very good, & the Wii U version has a Classic Mode that is complete crap, imo.

Smash 4's still a good game, but it's still a huge letdown for me, but not as much as Brawl, though.

Chinaux

Smash Ace
This is why you shouldn't fall for hype.

I like the game myself, but there was so many things about it that I feel were a huge letdown. For a few examples, no adventure mode, online battles are only 2 minutes (what), still a lot of clone characters (seriously, wouldn't it hurt to give Ganondorf his own unique moves instead of being a Captain Falcon clone), All-Star Mode is weird as hell & not very good, & the Wii U version has a Classic Mode that is complete crap, imo.

Smash 4's still a good game, but it's still a huge letdown for me, but not as much as Brawl, though.
I liked Brawl a lot but it released when I was a lot younger, and didn't play competitively. But playing it now sucks lol. Ganondorf is extremely fun in Smash 4. Classic in Wii U is pretty boring, wish they'd just stuck with their usual formula with that.

Hype-wise, all of my friends were extremely hyped for it, going to the midnight releases of both (I went to the pokemon midnight release, which was also Smash Wii U release and I actually won Smash Wii U that night even though I didn't have a Wii U). It was kind of hard not to be at least a little excited for it.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I liked Brawl a lot but it released when I was a lot younger, and didn't play competitively. But playing it now sucks lol. Ganondorf is extremely fun in Smash 4. Classic in Wii U is pretty boring, wish they'd just stuck with their usual formula with that.

Hype-wise, all of my friends were extremely hyped for it, going to the midnight releases of both (I went to the pokemon midnight release, which was also Smash Wii U release and I actually won Smash Wii U that night even though I didn't have a Wii U). It was kind of hard not to be at least a little excited for it.
Yeah, I found Classic really boring as well. Plus I didn't care for most of the battles that ended up being 4+ on the screen.

It doesn't help how Smash 4 handled getting custom moves either. So replaying all those single player modes that weren't entirely fun became a real chore for me. Also they need to give a retry button on Event matches after you lose. Reloading the fight gets annoying.

Last edited:

Chinaux

Smash Ace
I'm starting to think pokemon OR/AS was disappointing because it's so easy. Literally I never lost to anyone.

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
I'm starting to think pokemon OR/AS was disappointing because it's so easy. Literally I never lost to anyone.
I've complained about this to my friends a lot.. I think it's the only game in the series that I've intentionally denied getting. I'll be waiting for X2/Y2/Z or something.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm going to have to second this. Kind of. I never found any of the Pokemon games to be particularly hard. Hell, even the parts of the games I found challenging as a kid I release were from a lack of skill in hindsight. However, for me, Omega Ruby was a bit of a let down. This is partially my own fault since Pokemon Ruby is not only my favorite Pokemon game but would find a home somewhere in a hypothetical top ten favorite games list. I don't know what it was but I couldn't help but feel that something was missing the entire game. With Fire Red and Heart Gold I genuinely felt like I was re-experiencing classic games but with all of the kinks ironed out and updated to glorious modern quality and presentation. But with Omega Ruby I couldn't shake the "been there, done that" feel the entire time.

The entire way through Omega Ruby I didn't feel like I was playing a modern version of Pokemon Ruby. It just felt like a loose extension of Pokemon X rather than a remake. I don't really know why, but somehow putting the Honnen region into 3D took way something. It didn't feel as grand or massive as it once did. I'm really not sure why, but everything felt so small and contained. Hell, not even the geographic diversity the game is famous for felt particularly notable here. Hell, I still haven't beaten it yet. I caught Groudon and then just kind of stopped. I just didn't feel the desire to finish it.

Twewy

Smash Lord
X and Y's Exp. Share killed anything that resembled difficulty.

Also, lol at the people pointing out Booster's (rather stupid) title name. He's been gone for a while now.

Chinaux

Smash Ace
X and Y's Exp. Share killed anything that resembled difficulty.

Also, lol at the people pointing out Booster's (rather stupid) title name. He's been gone for a while now.
Don't use it then. I didn't use it in OR/AS and I beat the elite 4 with just my blaziken and a recently caught kyogre

Top Bottom