• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
Yes, Samus does indeed have this outfit in her own games. What's important is that she would never go into combat wearing it. She's typically portrayed as a practical and deadly lady, hence this outfit's use is a bit out of place in context the the metroid universe. Some characters are known for fighting in non-practical fanservicy costumes (take Bayonetta) not Samus though.
Practicality and logic have never been a deciding factor of whether or not a character, costume, stage, or item has gone into one of these games. I mean, this is a series where a 13 year old kid can pick up a 400 pound gorilla toss him at 3000+ mph with his MIND.

It's fine if you have a problem with this, but you can't expect Smash to pay that much attention to detail.

Honestly though, in my opinion, this is so tame I don't even find it remotely sexy and I don't see why anyone else would either.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I don't know why people are getting upset by this. Honestly, for Zero Suit Samus to have an alt costume, there really aren't many other options that are canon.

And that's the thing right there. Anyone who's upset by this and is calling it fanservice obviously hasn't played a Metroid game, or played a Metroid game and bear it in under a specific time. Samus has always shed her suit for something more comfortable in nearly every Metroid game. This is merely acknowledging that fact.

D

Deleted member

Honestly though, in my opinion, this is so tame I don't even find it remotely sexy and I don't see why anyone else would either.
As I said a few posts up:
"It's just that Samus is that much of a Memetic Sex Goddess that anything that shows skin's going to be taken seriously."

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Come on guys, I doubt a massive stage like Brinstar Depths would work well on the smaller 3DS screens. Hopefully we'll at least get that stage's music though. I love Brinstar Depths's theme.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Love how a stage managed to sneak in there.

Uh, that costume is a neat reference to Metroid: Zero Mission. :dazwa:
I wonder just how many people will notice the stage. Or notice it without being told.

Last edited:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I personally don't like it.

Yes, Samus does indeed have this outfit in her own games. What's important is that she would never go into combat wearing it. She's typically portrayed as a practical and deadly lady, hence this outfit's use is a bit out of place in the context of the metroid universe. Some characters are known for fighting in non-practical fanservicy costumes (take Bayonetta) not Samus though.

That being said, I have no issue with the idea if all the other characters also get a silly joke costume. Hopefully that's what's gonna happen :D
So just pretend that there may be some times that Samus might get ambushed by someone/something when she isn't on a mission or fighting, and she busts out the boots and kicks some ass since she doesn't have the Power Suit.

I can totally see it.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
I don't know why people are getting upset by this. Honestly, for Zero Suit Samus to have an alt costume, there really aren't many other options that are canon.

And that's the thing right there. Anyone who's upset by this and is calling it fanservice obviously hasn't played a Metroid game, or played a Metroid game and bear it in under a specific time. Samus has always shed her suit for something more comfortable in nearly every Metroid game. This is merely acknowledging that fact.
It's because people who hardly know Nintendo think Halo always keeps his armor on and this one is completely out of character.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I like how Sakurai made sure to put in it was thanks to the determination of her female designer.

I don't really see the issue. For one thing it originated in another game so they didn't just randomly go "Hey guys let's stick Samus in a bikini!" and for another thing Zero Suit Samus is already the most sexualized character in the game, it's kinda her thing. (if you haven't already realised that about her you're not very perceptive)

I do think we need some fanservice for the girls now though. Half naked Ike Sakurai, chop chop.

Put Wario in a bikini, objectify everyone!

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
I like how Sakurai made sure to put in it was thanks to the determination of her female designer.

I don't really see the issue. For one thing it originated in another game so they didn't just randomly go "Hey guys let's stick Samus in a bikini!" and for another thing Zero Suit Samus is already the most sexualized character in the game, it's kinda her thing. (if you haven't already realised that about her you're not very perceptive)

I do think we need some fanservice for the girls now though. Half naked Ike Sakurai, chop chop.

Put Wario in a bikini, objectify everyone!
Actually, it seems to me like Palutena is the most deliberately fanservicey character in the game.

I think Captain Falcon got hit with the fanservice ray in this game...

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Apparently there are two very different definitions of "fanservice," I have learned tonight. I had never heard it used in anything but a positive light meaning that the developers went all out to include awesome references for the fans.

Ignoth

Smash Cadet
I also encourage everyone to take today's reveal calmly, and don't turn things into a heated debate about Samus being oversexualized..
Indeed, it doesn't need to be a heated debate. I do hope discussion will still happen though.

I get the impression sometimes, that when I mention anything even remotely related to sexism, people automatically picture me as some raging hysterical video-game hater. My opinion becomes a threatening inflammatory thing that fans must defend from. Trust me, that's not the case :D

... anyways, like I've said already, my main grudge against this is that Samus entering battle in shorts is kind of out of character. Samus is a smart and practical lady, she lounges around in her bikini AFTER a mission, not during. Samus is not historically known for fighting in impractically fanservicy outfits. In fact, she typically fights in a decidedly non-sexual looking power suit. Her Zero-Suit, while fanservicy, is still practical. AKA she's too "cool" for this impractical-fanservice-while-fighting stuff.

Hence-why I'm not a fan of this development. Again though, if this means other characters will also get silly joke costumes, then I'm totally fine with it. BRING ON THE SILLY OUTFITS!!!111oneone1

Last edited:

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Apparently there are two very different definitions of "fanservice," I have learned tonight. I had never heard it used in anything but a positive light meaning that the developers went all out to include awesome references for the fans.
Yeah, the best way to avoid trouble is just to establish the context ASAP when mentioning the term.

Every1XplodeNOW

Smash Cadet
NNID
Every1XplodeNOW
3DS FC
4296-3001-1245
Warning Received
Actually, it seems to me like Palutena is the most deliberately fanservicey character in the game.

I think Captain Falcon got hit with the fanservice ray in this game...
You think?
-Image Removed-

And no one complained about that, funny...

Last edited by a moderator:

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace

The only thing that disturbs me about this picture is how these alts call even more attention to the weird ways her body contorts that look unnatural and creepy. Look at how weird her stomach looks when she crouches down and bends backwards. It's like she doesn't have ribs. Maybe it's the Chozo genes, or maybe it just looks bad because it's a still image in the middle of an animation, but it's hitting the uncanny valley hard for me. It's one thing when female characters do weird, anatomically impossible positions in comic books, but seeing it on a 3D model that's animated really really dials it to 11 on that euggggh factor for me. They really could have done a better job making the animations look like a human being. It's something that's been bothering me about her new model in general.

I mean what in the hell is going on in this picture? It looks like her organs got sucked out:

I don't know what they were going for, but it's not attractive. I really do like the costumes though! But I can't be the only one who's noticed this. To people who have actually played the game, does she look better in motion?

Last edited:

Giygacoal

Smash Lord

The only thing that disturbs me about this picture is how these alts call even more attention to the weird ways her body contorts that look unnatural and creepy. Look at how weird her stomach looks when she crouches down and bends backwards. It's like she doesn't have ribs. Maybe it's the Chozo genes, or maybe it just looks bad because it's a still image in the middle of an animation, but it's hitting the uncanny valley hard for me. It's one thing when characters do weird, anatomically impossible positions in comic books, but seeing it on a 3D model that's animated really really dials it to 11 on that euggggh factor for me. They really could have done a better job making the animations look like a human being. It's something that's been bothering me about her new model in general.

I mean what in the hell is going on in this picture? It looks like her organs got sucked out:

I don't know what they were going for, but it's not attractive. I really like the costumes though!
Agreed, the animation nut in me is bothered by this. At least the model is nice.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
You think?

And no one complained about that, funny...
Actually, I did complain about that. Just never bothered to do so on these forums. But yeah, I hate Falcon's design in the new game. For one thing: His facial expressions are weird and ape-ish, and make him look unintelligent. For another, his muscles are more than a little overdone. And my biggest complaint: That crotch emphasis.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They should just add the rest of the samus ending suits

I especially want Justin Baily Samus

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
The only thing that disturbs me about this picture is how these alts call even more attention to the weird ways her body contorts that look unnatural and creepy. Look at how weird her stomach looks when she crouches down and bends backwards. It's like she doesn't have ribs...
This is most definitely a direct reference to the actual Metroid series, and not a poor design choice. If you accept the fact that she can contort into a Morph Ball, this should be very tolerable. :estatic:

HohnTTD

Smash Cadet
The only thing that disturbs me about this picture is how these alts call even more attention to the weird ways her body contorts that look unnatural and creepy. Look at how weird her stomach looks when she crouches down and bends backwards. It's like she doesn't have ribs. Maybe it's the Chozo genes, or maybe it just looks bad because it's a still image in the middle of an animation, but it's hitting the uncanny valley hard for me. It's one thing when female characters do weird, anatomically impossible positions in comic books, but seeing it on a 3D model that's animated really really dials it to 11 on that euggggh factor for me. They really could have done a better job making the animations look like a human being. It's something that's been bothering me about her new model in general.

I don't know what they were going for, but it's not attractive. I really do like the costumes though! But I can't be the only one who's noticed this. To people who have actually played the game, does she look better in motion?
Smash is incredibly fast paced, so her animations and anatomy need to be exaggerated in order for her motions to be conveyed. For example, you'll notice that Mario's fists grow incredibly large when he punches, so the player can see what's going on. Everybody's anatomy breaks during their animations, I think people just notice it more on Samus in still shots because her anatomy is more humanoid and her motions are more acrobatic than most fighters.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The topic can't get weirder, can it?

Can't say I was expecting this outfit of all things, but I suppose it fits well into his quote "Sometimes Smash Bros confuses me about what I'm actually creating." :p

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I don't think Little Mac would ever fight in the ring wearing his pink tracksuit or that Mario would ever go save the princess in his golfing clothes.

I think you're missing the point of alternate costumes, they're not necessarily "fighting gear"...... more like " iconic gear". If they happen to also be fighting gear well that would be a bonus.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
This is most definitely a direct reference to the actual Metroid series, and not a poor design choice. If you accept the fact that she can contort into a Morph Ball, this should be very tolerable. :estatic:
I don't know... I guess you can justify it that way seeing as she's part Chozo or whatever, but the point is that it doesn't look good at all. If it was a deliberate choice, it was a bad one. But you may actually be right, seeing as none of the other female models seem to have this problem.

HohnTTD

Smash Cadet
I don't know... I guess you can justify it that way seeing as she's part Chozo or whatever, but the point is that it doesn't look good at all. If it was a deliberate choice, it was a bad one. But you may actually be right, seeing as none of the other female models seem to have this problem.
That's because most of the other female fighters are wearing dresses that hide their bodies and they don't usually do crazy flips in the air. And you'll notice in other screenshots that Sheik and Wii Fit Trainer occasionally look "broken" too.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Samus contorts in the same way as a girl in a Frank Miller comic

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
And I wonder what Ismar thinks about this.

----
Figures that this is what I get tagged for, not the (dis)confirmation of any of characters I support.

I can't quite put it into mere words. Nor can I describe jut how hard I fangirl'd the second I saw this (on Miiverse/offsite) without derailing the thread/infracting myself. Suffice to say, this update makes me giddy on numerous levels.

As a Metroid fan, I can't be anything but grateful/glad they'd acknowledge the outfits for whatever reason. End game/"good ending Samus" was one of my dreams for this game, not just because it made sense, but because I did indeed like/want the idea that suitless Samus has been around much longer than just since the Zero Suit popularized it. It was a reward getting to see those screens for myself, and though I can't say they'll be my alts of choice (I'll probably cycle through them all), it gives me a great sense of joy seeing them acknowledged here in Smash.

As a feminist who abhors the oversexualization debates (as in, I actually love the heels), much less dealing with them in my native ZSS boards, I find this to be absolutely hilarious/delicious considering the female developer was the one who went out of her way to finish these in time. I won't knock anybody's personal stance on the matter (well besides infractions for people who get too carried away), as I know to each their own, but so long as Samus still kicks ass, I could care less if she appeals to the lowest common denominator (i.e. dudebros that everyone INSISTS are the reason the devs are "ruining" her character). And in fact, I like playing as someone with more options when it comes to outfits. And seeing her pretty, nogirly.

Lastly, I'm excited as a Smash fan simply because of what this update means. Sakurai himself thought it'd be nigh impossible to get these finished in time for launch, which does indeed go to show his team has just as much, if not more dedication to making these the best games they could be. Just thinking of what else they could do if they put their minds to it makes me almost want to stop being such a pessimist. Almost. And of course the return of one of my favorite stages is always a plus.

Anyway, I'm gonna go put out the fires. As @--- said, any off topic and overly heated posts will get reprimanded to the harshest extent.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
That's because most of the other female fighters are wearing dresses that hide their bodies and they don't usually do crazy flips in the air. And you'll notice in other screenshots that Sheik and Wii Fit Trainer occasionally look "broken" too.
Not nearly to the extent that Zamus does though. I actually just checked their pictures on the Smash site to compare. I think most of Wii Fit Trainer's animations look great, especially considering their flexible nature. Zamus looks broken in nearly every picture we've seen. If I've noticed this kind of stuff on anybody else, it would actually be Little Mac and his weird arms...

I think this is different from Mario's fists expanding. There's a hitbox on Mario and Diddy Kong's big fists that needs to be emphasized. There's no hitbox on ZSS's apparent lack of ribcage. I think you're giving them too much credit. I think these are animation errors, plain and simple. It would not be the first time that happened in Smash...

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Are people now talking about how this picture is inappropriate or sexist or something?

Because I've seen girls wearing more inappropriate stuff walking around Walmart

Ignoth

Smash Cadet
I don't think Little Mac would ever fight in the ring wearing his pink tracksuit or that Mario would ever go save the princess in his golfing clothes.

I think you're missing the point of alternate costumes, they're not necessarily "fighting gear"...... more like " iconic gear". If they happen to also be fighting gear well that would be a bonus.
That's a solid point, but I'll still say this.

Those two examples are within much more light-hearted, silly universes. It's much easier to suspend disbelief in those contexts. Metroid, on the other hand, is relatively more rooted in realism and serious story telling. Therein comes the issue in which that Samus' implied choice of entering battle in shorts is kinda out of character. Watching her fight in that is almost comical if you ask me ^.^

Drawing up a parallel with a different franchise is difficult, Metroid is quite unique as far as Nintendo franchises go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom