• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Officially Banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This being said, it's a bit depressing stopping mid-sentence to see someone already put down what you were typing.
Heh. Thank you. I'm decent as a spokesperson, although to be fair, I know I don't play in the competitive scene. I just happen to understand what they do and respect it.

I also respect that people like Metaknight and want to play as him. I know that any Tournies I would personally run... would only have Items and certain stages banned. I've run tournaments many times before. The place I did no longer supports video game tournies, so that's life.

@xIblisx: Thank you. :)

^ In case you couldn't tell, I agreed my wording was off and changed it because it was incorrect. I did make a mistake there. And actually, yeah, it is FAIR for the overall community. I could go into a decent example, but the only one I can think of is "dude not funny".

Likewise, all players are people. Stuff gets banned from games all the time. You move on. If we have to alienate players to bring in new ones? So be it. You either adapt or leave. That's how life actually WORKS.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
Guys, how can ther be meta knight ban? tiers hvae not even been proven correctfully to exist; furthermore, when i played with metanight against my friend ganon (worst character in game fyi) i still lose, that mean metanight is not so imba after all. a littel something to keep in consideration.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
Guys, how can ther be meta knight ban? tiers hvae not even been proven correctfully to exist; furthermore, when i played with metanight against my friend ganon (worst character in game fyi) i still lose, that mean metanight is not so imba after all. a littel something to keep in consideration.
I call strawman.

oh well..

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
lol im not a crow, why would i be scared of a strawman? yes i agree nothing strawman do is significant because he cannot do anything.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471

El Duderino

Smash Ace
Try addressing the whole post, son. It's fair a majority agrees. Get over yourself.
Welcome to the club, no one is addressing my whole point either:

Without question, we have reached a point where the rule set, with this Meta Knight ban, is more oppressive to competitive players and less in line with the spirit of the original game than a patch fix would be.
Instead, I'm just hearing "we have the right to make the rules as we see fit", "get over it", "ban is the fair thing to do" and misconceptions about how a patch would work. No one has really tackled my argument by defending how banning Meta Knight is less game altering.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Realistically.. the only one's against the ban are metaknight players and then there are those indifferent on the subject. The character was overcentralizing the metagame unlike any character in smash (if we consider Sheik in Melee, she got worse over time--he didn't), so ban him.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471

Instead, I'm just hearing "we have the right to make the rules as we see fit", "get over it", "ban is the fair thing to do" and misconceptions about how a patch would work. No one has really tackled my argument by defending how banning Meta Knight as less game altering.
Idk who is disagreeing about a game patch. It hasn't happened so, I really don't care about it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
^^^^ Read again: There's a ton of work to do any form of patches.

There's a ton of work making rules to make Meta Knight actually playable.

Banning him is quite a lot less work on the rules, and allow rules to be about actual problems with the rest of the gameplay, and not a single character. Nearly all character rules just happen to be MK-based. This isn't surely a coincidence, now is it?

^ That'd be me, but under the idea of "how is changing the entire way the game operates any better than banning a character". I'd call it much worse.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace

Instead, I'm just hearing "we have the right to make the rules as we see fit", "get over it", "ban is the fair thing to do" and misconceptions about how a patch would work. No one has really tackled my argument by defending how banning Meta Knight as less game altering.
That's because the point of your argument is so blunt I could use it as a model for a pancake. If youre not following me here, that means your point is basically just another ''if thing were different, then things would be different'', whoopiti****ingdoo! If youre still not following me it means that whatever youre saying doesn't really matter because it's not practically applicable and everyone knows it; furthermore, youre being silly by arguing about it as if thought it mattered.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
^ Read again: There's a ton of work to do any form of patches.

Banning him is quite a lot less work on the rules, and allow rules to be about actual problems with the rest of the gameplay, and not a single character. Nearly all character rules just happen to be MK-based. This isn't surely a coincidence, now is it?
El Dude reminds me of when a rich guy is ganged up on when they take everything that makes the ''less significant'' significant in the first place. Acting as if they are the victim.

@ Hippieslayer. I lol'd. Well said.

PersonallyIPreferDair

Smash Apprentice

Instead, I'm just hearing "we have the right to make the rules as we see fit", "get over it", "ban is the fair thing to do" and misconceptions about how a patch would work. No one has really tackled my argument by defending how banning Meta Knight is less game altering.
Patches would be great for Smash. It's just that we would have to homebrew every wii used in tournies. This isn't very enforcable as opposed to a character ban.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
It can only use reason in MU discussion.

Otherwise, trolling all the way.

El Dude reminds me of when a rich guy is ganged up on when they take everything that makes the ''less significant'' significant in the first place.
That doesn't make much sense. I'd say he's more like squidward.

People would make a ton of arguements out of an arguement from an arguement. And it's mostly MK.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Most of this thread has been the same type of blathering:

MK mains ( which just means El Dude ) johning about why it's wrong and hurtful. :(

Everyone else doing they're best to counter his opinion.:reverse:

Alien Vision

Smash Ace

That doesn't make much sense. I'd say he's more like squidward.

People would make a ton of arguements out of an arguement from an arguement. And it's mostly MK.
Read my signature. You will understand how my mind works by not knowing how it works.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
^ Read again: There's a ton of work to do any form of patches.

That's exactly why I mentioned way earlier in this thread that the ban is the easy way out. I have faith this community can create the better option. Tackle the problem at the source instead of just dancing around it. Look around, there is a lot of amazing stuff going on with the mod community. Fixing MK so he can be playable again is well within our means.

That's not really the problem though. The problem is getting everyone on the same page and correcting all the misconceptions. I truly believe if the tourney rules adopted it, a patch fix could be the healthiest thing for the Brawl competitive community in the long run. Though clearly that may be an impossibility.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
I think the full extent to which the ban of metaknight effects will reach has yet to be completely unravelled within the grasps of our much too human minds

indeed the subject is hard to grasp and thus i shall use no commas or semicommas to because a difficult subject must be approachd by a difficult text and so fire fights fire and all hell breaks loss

the main issue as the currents are disturbed is the wastness of the rays that are sent infinitely in a vacuum that threatens to destroy the very weaving that holds then metagame together

as darkness falls upon the knight and he retires into the endless void of forgotten qualia once experienced by a plethora of concious beings into domain where stands a tree the tree in which leaves are blown to a rustle by a wind and no one is there to hear it

perhaps this is a thing of melancholy but perhaps also all things must die in time and at least we wont have to hear the sound of that ****ing nado anymore and maybe now peach will rise to top tier oh wait i forgot peach ****ing sucks

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
El Dude reminds me of when a rich guy is ganged up on when they take everything that makes the ''less significant'' significant in the first place. Acting as if they are the victim.
As a guy who's done what he's done, I know. I wish he'd realize that banning a character who is clearly overpowered down not make the game worse. The worst we'll have is a few less players. Not everybody whines either. Some will actually work with other characters and improve. People don't give up as easily as he thinks. Honestly, if players completely depend on one character, which they should be atleast playing 2 in these tournaments, then there's something wrong with the character. Sure, I won't lie, the player mentality is a bit bad, but to be honest? They need to learn to change just like we're going to. A lot of us will start working on different gameplay elements because that's one less character to play against. That means there's changes to how one plays a game.

It's the same as with anything that happens in a game. For example: Let's say you actual use an official cheat device(one made by a company, like Datel) to have infinite lives. You're going to play recklessly, right? That's a major gameplay change, after all. It's the same here. People will change. If people can't learn to adapt, then the player themself happens to be a problem too. No one single character should completely rule a game, or atleast having a god tier by themself. That's just not right.

That's exactly why I mentioned way earlier in this thread that the ban is the easy way out. I have faith this community can create the better option. Tackle the problem at the source instead of just dancing around it. Look around, there is a lot of amazing stuff going on with the mod community. Fixing MK so he can be playable again is well within our means.

That's not really the problem though. The problem is getting everyone on the same page and correcting all the misconceptions. I truly believe if the tourney rules adopted it, a patch fix could be the healthiest thing for the Brawl competitive community in the long run. Though clearly that may be an impossibility.
Once again, we've already clarified that some people can't hack their Wii's anyway. Many of them shouldn't have too either. Also, the fact that we have to fix a character as is shows how problemsome the CHARACTER is. Not our problems. You keep suggesting we should fix the problem. You say it's an easy way out, and maybe it is in a way. But do you honestly think this decision was easy as hell? More than 3 years was put into it. Patch Fixes aren't exactly healthy if your Wii is fixed due to updates to make any form of hacking impossible. Should we have to buy new Wii's just for one horribly powerful character? No. That's money that isn't worth spending on a single character. Also, the fact that people have to adapt means they have to work hard to make a new metagame. This isn't an easy way out at all.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
I think the full extent to which the ban of metaknight effects will reach has yet to be completely unravelled within the grasps of our much too human minds

indeed the subject is hard to grasp and thus i shall use no commas or semicommas to because a difficult subject must be approachd by a difficult text and so fire fights fire and all hell breaks loss

the main issue as the currents are disturbed is the wastness of the rays that are sent infinitely in a vacuum that threatens to destroy the very weaving that holds then metagame together

as darkness falls upon the knight and he retires into the endless void of forgotten qualia once experienced by a plethora of concious beings into domain where stands a tree the tree in which leaves are blown to a rustle by a wind and no one is there to hear it

perhaps this is a thing of melancholy but perhaps also all things must die in time and at least we wont have to hear the sound of that ****ing nado anymore and maybe now peach will rise to top tier oh wait i forgot peach ****ing sucks
Hippieslayer, you get a +1 for that post. Just, LOL. Although, I disagree with Peach being a sucky character right now still. :p The rest is +1 material.

@ Hyper Falcon - I agree.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
it's not practically applicable and everyone knows it; furthermore, youre being silly by arguing about it as if thought it mattered.
You are jumping to conclusions. Any difficult change that is endorsed by the official rule set has a chance of going through. We are banning a character after all.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
The knight has gone defunct

He used to don a long cape, oh how it would dazzle the eyes of many a nerd

Tornadoes he'd unleash onetwothreefourfivesix....eightyninethousandsandmanymanymore aaaaaand tiii... ..iiime wooouuuld paaaaaass slowly like a japanese poem

jesus he was a handsome fellow (ilovejebus is a stupid one), but what I wonder is.

Just how do you like your yelloweyed son up there?

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
You are jumping to conclusions. Any difficult change that is endorsed by the official rule set has a chance of going through. We are banning a character after all.
This is turning into a mod vs. lurker, and is there a god vs. there is a god.

Nobody is going to agree.. Give up El Dude, I respect your ability to hold your own because you believe what you believe..

I do not agree with you though, and alot of people aren't agreeing with you. You are strawmanning continuously.

We have our foundation to support our claims, may it be shaky, it is still more tangible than what you have to offer.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
I may be jumping to conclusions, but metaknight has 6 jumps so I'm thinking I still have at least four left. In arguing i say youre ganondorf level; offstage, and you've used your second jump. ''Any difficult change that is endorsed by the official rule set'' will see that rule set ignored and the setters sent to an island far far away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom