• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Scene: Growing or Dying?

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
i may bring a few casualish smashers to spoc. they see the game as a lot less open ended as it is, so maybe once they get *****, something might trigger. they arent nubs, but on a competitive scale they arent that good.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
haha, i just got a 3 little birds t shirt today

bob marley totally woulda played melee :bee:
Your avatar... Reminded me of the show.

*After Match vs Fudomine*
-Tezuka and Oishi leave-

Eiji: Hey Taka let's play a video game!
Taka: I have the one where you shoot zombies.
Eiji: Do you have Melee?
Taka: Yeah, I think so.
Sadaharu: Hmm... If we played Melee, Eiji would pick Fox and by chances of 30-42% would go for the SHDL spam... Taka on the other hand...

Later in the game:
Momoshiro: Sweetspot knee! Dunn~!!
Taka: Heh, that's not bad, Momo. *sweatdrop*
Fuji: Hey, Taka, it's your turn *gives GCN controller*.
Taka: BURNING! YEAH KNEE THIS! OOOH WOMBO COMBO.
Momoshiro: *gulps* O.o

hamonyou

Smash Cadet
in portage michigan me and my friends started learning AT's at the beggining of the summer, and now there are more people picking it up and we are having bi weekleys, and once people get better, a monthly tourney

Zone

Smash Champion
I once brought Melee to a party.

FULL of people who are into Racing games, and (A bit of Starcraft They are korean), And basically just manly games. After watching them race for about an hour. I said "Let's play Melee."

One of the guys said "Nah, man. That's a babies game." So anyways we started playing 2v2's and FFA's

After about 2-3 hours of playing. One guy said "Let's play this instead!" And the guy who called SSBM A Baby game was all, "NO WAY, Let's keep playing this."

If done correctly you can even get them hooked to Melee w/o AT. And slowly apply them after they fall in love with the basic fun/party way to play it.

I've also been showing my anus to tournaments with VERY LOW melee population. And they started to grow in those areas pretty good. When I first went to tallahassee. My first tourney there was like 7 people, Then next time it was only 4. The one AFTER that we had 15, Then after that we got SFL to come, and it became a 36+ Man tournament for melee. And now when I read the tallahassee thread they are all talking about melee friendlies alot now.

Goes to show how much just "SHOWING" up, regardless of outcome can change things.

0^2

Smash Cadet
Around here, Melee has sufficiently died out. I'm one of the few who still plays it on a semi-regular basis.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Around here, Melee has sufficiently died out. I'm one of the few who still plays it on a semi-regular basis.
How can you say that when you live in NJ? lol. I jsut got back from a melee tournament in jersey city with 36 people.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I beleive that both scenes are growing at the same rate, its just that brawl had a huge boom when it came out and melee shrunk, now melee is closer to what it was, and brawl is still bigger, but yea. Both scenes growing at the same rate, dont think melee will ever catch up though. but still be more than big enough to be worth practicing for.

Top Bottom