• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Scene: Growing or Dying?

Dai Tian

Smash Journeyman
It's changing sure, and growing but at a rate that's not so easy to notice I think. Around here most people play Brawl+ (Thanks to me) but every so often you'll find a Melee player. I have to admit, I'm gonna keep Brawl+ as my main field but I can't stay away from Melee. Especially now that I started getting all the advanced stuff into my game

I guess you could say it's evolving also. (No one press B)

Eggm

Smash Hero
Yesterday at my tournament 3 new people showed up who were actually really good that no one has ever seen before. And they have 2 friends at home they also all practice with and they had a ton of fun at my tournament and said they are gonna start coming to more tournies. So that's new melee players in tristate + 5. All of them have potential too especially h3daron. Gogo melee. ;)

BBQ°

Smash Champion
This thread makes me happy.

I was one of the brawl kids who played because of the hype, I guess. Then I started playing Melee and nothing but Melee.

I realized how ****ty Brawl is as a competitive game.

And I realized how amazing Melee is.

I went to my first Melee tournament the other week, Tipped Off 5.

It was a far greater experience than any other Brawl tournament I've been to.

I lost to players that were legitimately better than I am. In Brawl, I would more than often lose to people that would win because of gay *** ****.

alejandroidex

Smash Apprentice
omg.. a lot of ex-brawlers are getting real melee love from now on.. thats a great step for the comunity.. accepting what is good.

Just lets keep playing and attending to melee tourneys.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
omg.. a lot of ex-brawlers are getting real melee love from now on.. thats a great step for the comunity.. accepting what is good.

Just lets keep playing and attending to melee tourneys.
I think Genesis opened a lot of eyes with how much hype/tension happens with higher level matches.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
I think large tournaments where both games are held could really help both communities.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
I think the character metagames are changing. The top four characters according to the tier list are Fox, Marth, Shiek and Falco, yet look at some of the latest tournaments.

Mango has been dominating with Jigglypuff for awhile now, Hungrybox got 3rd at Genesis and won Tipped off 5, and at Genesis, Raistlin and Darc got 9th and 13th. Captain Falcon as well has been going up with Scar, Hax and Darkrain placing 6th, 7th and 8th at Genesis and SS is one of two players that have taken a set off Mango, and he also beat Zhu at BIO3, taking 1st place.

Peach has been going upward somewhat as well with Pink Shinobi and Vwins and of course Armada.

Ganondorf has Linguini, Kage and Rockcrock all doing well too, and Kage got 5th at the first ROM going through JMan, Azen, and many others.

All of the High and upper Middle characters are placing high in tournaments, some even more than the top tier characters, which is interesting and keeps the game fresh. Teams is still pretty Fox heavy, but I like that Singles is expanding on the number of different characters.

One other thing is the surprises and upsets that have spawned in recent tournaments, but mainly Genesis. It keeps the game exciting, instead of the same group of people winning all the time (minding Mango).

Genesis:

Pink Shinobi beat Cactuar
Axe beat JMan
Eddie Mexico beat Colbol
Lovage beat Hax
Armada beat Dashizwiz
Armada beat M2K
Armada beat Mango
Zhu beat M2K

Revival of Melee

Kage beat KDJ
Kage beat JMan
Kage beat Azen
Hungrybox beat KDJ

Don't Stop Billievin':

Dr.PP beat Chudat

Tipped Off 5:

Hungrybox beat M2K x2

Of course, some people will disagree with how impactful these were as well as list others, but if Player A always beats Player B, it gets boring. With some of the craziness, mainly Armada, the game becomes exciting again.

Also just a side note, how many people other than Armada went from "Unlisted" to 2nd best in the world after one tournament? Usually people expect multiple tournament wins before accepting they're better (such as Hungrybox vs M2K), and Genesis was Armada's first US one.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Also just a side note, how many people other than Armada went from "Unlisted" to 2nd best in the world after one tournament? Usually people expect multiple tournament wins before accepting they're better (such as Hungrybox vs M2K), and Genesis was Armada's first US one.
Lol at Armada being "Unlisted". PLENTY of people thought he would hit at least the top 10 at Genesis.

I'm looking forward to Pound 4.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Lol at Armada being "Unlisted". PLENTY of people thought he would hit at least the top 10 at Genesis.

I'm looking forward to Pound 4.
A lot of people doubted him though. That's partially because that most of those players didn't know about how good he was, and even then, he shocked everyone getting 2nd and beating what a lot of players consider America's Top 3.

But the point I was making is that most people insist on winning multiple tournaments before being considered better than those players, yet he's already considered 2nd in the world after winning one US tournament.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
I got a club member to see just how competitive melee can be with Wak's how to play video and he seem's very interested and got better than the casual smasher in about 2 weeks.

With this increase of smashers and tourneys (though I have been saying this much already), I can openly say that the tier list will reopen and the Melee BR MIGHT go private again.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
We're dying and dying fast and dying fast lol be realistic. This game is the best but not everyone thinks that and wants to take it to my level so they are all quitting =/

I mean look how bad we are getting. People from other countries can now come in and **** us without effort.

We used to all play each other in a wide scene and now that we don't have anyone left we are lacking practice and the countries that did lack practice are now on par with us because we lack practice from there being too few of us remaining.

blackfox51

Smash Cadet
We're dying and dying fast and dying fast lol be realistic. This game is the best but not everyone thinks that and wants to take it to my level so they are all quitting =/

I mean look how bad we are getting. People from other countries can now come in and **** us without effort.

We used to all play each other in a wide scene and now that we don't have anyone left we are lacking practice and the countries that did lack practice are now on par with us because we lack practice from there being too few of us remaining.
The US has has a bigger scene than everyone else -_-
And Armada is just too good, it's not like all of Europe came out of nowhere to own us at Genesis, only Armada stood after all of Canada and US tried their best. It clearly took Armada a lot of effort just to go all the way to second that tournament. He's been playing for so long too, facing some big Japanese smashers Ken fought long ago, like Captain Jack.

Clearly Melee tournaments are getting bigger (in some regions more than others), and more Melee players will continue to show up b/c of the amount of effort everyone is putting forth to keep this game alive.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b

Texas' scene has blinded you...........

L__

Smash Master
I just imagined people flying out halfway across the U.S. to use the last two GameCube controllers...

I wonder what's going to happen to the community in a year

I hope Genesis 2 presents itself

=D

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I just imagined people flying out halfway across the U.S. to use the last two GameCube controllers...
3 words, "imported white controllers"

A lot of people doubted him though. That's partially because that most of those players didn't know about how good he was, and even then, he shocked everyone getting 2nd and beating what a lot of players consider America's Top 3.

But the point I was making is that most people insist on winning multiple tournaments before being considered better than those players, yet he's already considered 2nd in the world after winning one US tournament.
The reason is because we didn't think their scene was good, but now we know better, and from the rest of their scene, we know they're good.

That's why Armada is ranked so highly.

null55

Smash Master

Lol, what a ****ty post. What cave are you living in with what upbringing?

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
unless im completely oblivious to my surroundings, Melee is pretty much dead here in newfoundland... there isn't any tournaments... it's all Brawl

'course I prefer it that way... i like brawl more then melee...

*braces for flaming*

null55

Smash Master
Lol, no one's gonna flame you. It's cool if you like Brawl more, no disrespect.

It's like religion, I'm not going to hate on you for your beliefs, I just think my God is better.

ScoobyCafe

Smash Journeyman
Appreciate what we have now and make the most of it instead of worrying whether or not the Melee scene is growing or dying.

If it really bothers you, then choose action > worry. Worrying is NOT going to ensure that the Melee scene continues to survive. Don't just wait and hope for new smashers to come running to Melee. You gotta strive to thrive.

"Rather than allowing yourself to be consumed with worry, strive instead to make the Melee scene thrive"—is what I always say when topics like this pop up. Focus on what actions you need to take to create continued success in the Melee scene.

Still, don't worry about it. Bob Marley said it best: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RntL-2uwt_g

Make the most of this Melee scene and don't worry about a thing.

Pi

Smash Hero
I think a way to get melee to start growing would be to advertise tournaments in other places than on smashboards

To tap into those guys who think they're good at the game but know nothing about the competitive side of it.

When they show up and get their *** handed to them it might get them interested lol

I think what get might get some people interested in tournaments is showing them they actually exist. Some people have no idea competitive tournaments for this game are held. Casual Smashers tend to laugh at how everyone screams whenever someone does a really cool combo.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
i know in md/va it died for a while and now is growing again. seems like that everywhere. people gave brawl a chance then gave up on it.

pound 4 will prob be the biggest melee tourney ever, and will def open a lot of eyes to melee.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
I've been on my Xbox for a while, and a couple people over in Cali that used to doubt high-level Melee got a taste of it and are starting to want to play more. Same goes for a few on the East Coast. People are starting to realize that this game isn't what they thought it was so many years back. That, and it can still be fun without the items.

soap

Smash Hero
Appreciate what we have now and make the most of it instead of worrying whether or not the Melee scene is growing or dying.

If it really bothers you, then choose action > worry. Worrying is NOT going to ensure that the Melee scene continues to survive. Don't just wait and hope for new smashers to come running to Melee. You gotta strive to thrive.

"Rather than allowing yourself to be consumed with worry, strive instead to make the Melee scene thrive"—is what I always say when topics like this pop up. Focus on what actions you need to take to create continued success in the Melee scene.

Still, don't worry about it. Bob Marley said it best: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RntL-2uwt_g

Make the most of this Melee scene and don't worry about a thing.
haha, i just got a 3 little birds t shirt today

bob marley totally woulda played melee :bee:

Top Bottom