• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Scene: Growing or Dying?

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Incidentally, Ally has a pretty sweet Melee Falcon.
So, apparently the best Brawl players are good in Melee. Not so much of a surprise if you consider that they have been playing Smash for longer than people that solely play Brawl, but the fact that they are good in Melee says wonders for Melee as a game. It speaks toward the ease of picking up an easier game: if brawl were a better game than melee and it came out first, I dont think the best in Brawl would automatically be the best in melee because it would be a step up in difficulty and everyone would basically be put on the same starting level and would have to reinvent the game (as we have seen it evolve over the past several years). This kinda thing is what I expected to happen when Brawl was released, but alas...

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Looks to be growing to me. More MD/VA tourneys are hosting it. Smashers that came in just for Brawl are being introduced to Melee and find that they like it more.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
today my sister was like hey let's play melee(normally she rarly plays) and we,ve played for about 7+ hours today. it's amazing game and she doesn't john because she told me I should always win because i,ve earned it and she hasn,t played as much. I,t a fun addictive game that everyone in the world loves even if they don't know it

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
today my sister was like hey let's play melee(normally she rarly plays) and we,ve played for about 7+ hours today. it's amazing game and she doesn't john because she told me I should always win because i,ve earned it and she hasn,t played as much. I,t a fun addictive game that everyone in the world loves even if they don't know it
Your sister is wise.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Your sister seems like a smart person.

If she's like that about a lot of things, I'd say you have a pretty mature and awesome sister.

I can't say the same about mine. :(

On another note:
I've been picking up Melee (for the second time) and now that I actually understand how to PLAY SMASH (rather then a character) I do a lot better, even if I lack a lot of the techskill I used to have.

S l o X

Smash Champion
I is raising the High Schoolers in CT to love Melee...or atleast at the HS I go to. I also am new to the scene and do plan on going to some tournaments(local) very very soon.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Melee scene: Changing.
I was thinkin the same thing when I looked in here and was gunna come say it.

__

I pretty much have to go on record and retract my previous statement from a few months ago when I said "melee is really dying and people just dont realize it". I was pretty much dead wrong.

However, Wak is right. It really isnt growing as much as just "changing"; old people are phasing out for various reason and getting replaced by new blood.

More-often-than-not, the new blood tends to be brawl players of various calibers. Yeah, there are some flat out new people showing, but their number pales in comparision to the number of brawl players who are sick and tired of riding the S.S. Metaknight.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
I'm a relatively new smasher and I'm entering only melee tournaments.

justsayin'.

D

Deleted member

statistically, since around may, growing. as a metagame, stagnant, although that may change soon. I think it's time to get some tournaments started.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Melee scene: Changing.
the guy who made the Advanced Technique vid?
also tell melaf I said what's up

also, Melee scene is growing. my Donkey Kong is gonna cause a REVOLUTION LOL

Tonb3rry

Smash Ace
Brawl never got a real life in Norway. Here we've always played Melee, and still does. The players in the scene is pretty much the same guys as for 3 years ago. So can't say the scene is changing here.

Melee is like Starcraft: It might be old, but it'll never die because it's such a great game :)

azianraven

Smash Journeyman
I'm not surprised Melee started coming back .

Melee was in a frenzy when the metagame was getting immensely developed and I doubted alot of people would have let that go of it at this time so easily. If Melee is still kicking as well as it is now (which I'm quite sure it will) I can't wait to see all the new players becoming amazing and witness the whole rebirthing process of Melee.

The_Smash_Champ

Banned via Warnings
Melee is kinda dying here in houston but you can still find tournies around. I however have been playing melee more than ever before and actually got a couple of friends to start playing. I dont think melee is growing but it probably wont lose people easely because of its addicting factor, something Brawl doesnt have. Kinda weird how everyone likes Brawl, its a bad game, i dont know why people force themeselves to like something so bad >.> most people just play brawl because of the money, lots of noobs coming in means lots of cash. I think thats sooo wrong.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
you're in the melee forum, brawl is a bad game and it's fact.
go somewhere else for the "opinion" argument bro.

chaddd

Smash Lord
The only way a community for a game disappears is if the majority believe it to be disappearing. Help spread the truth. Melee is timeless, Brawl is garbage.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
I made a game club (a specific post to be made later), and despite people asking about Brawl in my school, they seem to be having a LOT of fun. You know how it is.

"Man, haven't played this in a while."
"(laughs) Me too."

Then more epicness ensues.

Now for my opinions (possibly incorrect) on this matter:

Heavily Disagree: Melee will die. At least not in a good decade or so. Think of Counter-Strike (v1.6).

Disagree: Melee returning to MLG. Maybe the lesser known major tourneys though.

"Meh. Iono.": If Melee's revival has a correlation w/ Brawl. Tiers still for Queers.

Agree: Retired players (SephirothKen anyone?) will come back along with Melee, and with the same, slow pace. Melee's rebirth is starting in California. More so in NorCal.

Heavily Agree: Old strategies? New strategies? Whichever strategies there are, it's reigniting Melee metagame's growth. More knee will come w/ Melee's growth.

Spife

Smash Master
I think it's growing, as I know it's been worse. I see new faces some times lulz

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Interesting statements...I must admit. I personally don't know what's going on w/melee-I've only played it recently because of a wii malfunction. It was fun to get back to it though. That I admit as well.

Stratford

Smash Champion
today my sister was like hey let's play melee(normally she rarly plays) and we,ve played for about 7+ hours today. it's amazing game and she doesn't john because she told me I should always win because i,ve earned it and she hasn,t played as much.
Wait.... what? People like this actually exist? Nobody but nobody is that rational and nice.

Luckily Melee is ****ing amazing.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
That other one is the most disappointing game I have ever played in my life, and that includes Final Fantasy X-2 and Super Mario Sunshine.

Anyway, I don't have anyone to play against in my area, but I DO have the debug mode to play around in. I think actually seeing the hitboxes really helps me.

I guess I might as well try to develop a crazy Fox in addition to Yoshi, Zelda, Sheik, Falco, and Ganondorf.

Eggm

Smash Hero
statistically, since around may, growing. as a metagame, stagnant, although that may change soon. I think it's time to get some tournaments started.
I think that the metagame has been evolving but in diff ways. Its not just the top 3/4 chars evolving anymore with like 5 diff pros playing them. Other characters metagame has been thriving. Like scar is bringing falcon to new levels with how **** fast he is. Seriously try and fight him with fox or something its fing hard. He's literally faster than you so its so hard to get in. Also hungrybox and mango have been furthering jigg's metagame along with amrada and peach. Just cause we don't have like 8 pros constantly challenging each others fox/sheik/marth against each other doesn't mean the metagame isn't improving. When like Azen, Chillin, M2k, kdj, PC, were all using the same 3 chars and pushing them to higher and higher limits isn't the the only thing the metagame is about. :p

But yeah summer def helped out the melee scene. :) Around may is about when it kicked in I agree with that part. Tournaments are happening every single weekend in tristate. And have been even during melee's darkest hours. For the most part. We ****.

PB&J

Smash Hero
t05 in ga this past weekend had 90 people ft m2k and i saw alot of new faces so i think its growing..and live stream had 350 people watching at most of the matches ,so i think it will never die thanks to live stream commentary and footage people keep putting up..just record more vids and it will keep growing

weon - X

Smash Ace
Over here in SouthAmerica Chile, smash itself is slowly dying u.u. Good thing im movin to Canada (at least good in that department :S)

epic of DE

Smash Journeyman
Newark, DE (only a mile from University of Delawar
Hm...well some areas melee is strong where others some people have chosen to move to a different game.

Here in DE a strong portion of us that are on the boards still play and meet every week or so and just see how we've improved or adjusted since last time. Sadly most college people play either Madden or Halo and the closest thing that is kinda like melee is either SF4 or BB...where they need to use short-cuts apparently.

I'm still a smash fan but I also enjoy doing other fighters but I know that melee will always have a special place where drop zone knee's and stomps will always be awesome.

@PB&J
Yo Dude when is the next time you'll be in the area? I look forward to playing you again and I'm sure Ultima will also want to play you as well. His fox has really improved and I know that you've gotten better since...SPOC in Dec. was the last time I met you?

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
I think that the metagame has been evolving but in diff ways. Its not just the top 3/4 chars evolving anymore with like 5 diff pros playing them. Other characters metagame has been thriving. Like scar is bringing falcon to new levels with how **** fast he is. Seriously try and fight him with fox or something its fing hard.
Sugoi Kawaii Moe Chan also brought something new to the table with Falcon by how gay he played. Hopefully, he will keep going to tournaments.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Where I live, no one ever talks of Smash. No tournies, no players, nuthin'. It's like living in a desert, but chalk-full of the other consoles. However, whenever friends end up coming over, no one questions why I decide we play Melee after some other choice titles; so far, no one's requested playing Brawl, either. Fine by me.

From the hacking standpoint, Melee's slowly beginning to catch up. If it hasn't already caught on, Brawl's been undergoing a facelift via texture hacking and music hacking, with models supposedly around the corner (voice replacement still a major problem). Melee, too, has been undergoing some construction as well, with texture hacks galore, and music hacks just out of reach (voice replacement actually a possibility). It wouldn't surprise me that at the rate it's going that Melee will catch on to the modern hacking scene again, which would be amazing.

_KuyaSombreo_

Smash Ace
put it this way:
-melee has been around for 8 years, virtually unchanged, and has been alive and well for a long time. It is the most popular gamecube game, and possibly most popular fighting game ever made, and people are STILL finding new things and expanding the metagame

-brawl has only been out a year, and by now it is pretty much done
brawl + really is just an attempt to make it more fastpaced, but if you wanted fastpaced, then you should have just kept melee

my thoughts.....

XD1337

Smash Apprentice
So I just played brawl for the first time in a while. besides trying to Lcancel and wavedash the whole time its really not that bad of a game. Kirby is an easy transition. Brawl will never match the speed or competition of melee, but when viewed all by it self, it is not a bad game. I will stick to melee for sure. From my experience the melee population is not shrinking, it is just not growing because all the new players are picking up brawl. Melee for life, but brawl isn't bad every once and a while as a purely relaxed and recreational game.

L__

Smash Master
Brawl will never match the speed or competition of melee, but when viewed all by it self, it is not a bad game.
lol...

It kinda bothers me when everyone keeps comparing Melee and Brawl

I'm glad to see that you are open-minded enough to realize that

tubes

Smash Ace
of course brawl is gonna be compared with melee. Its the **** sequel! People watch sequel's to movies and buy sequel's to games because they liked the first one.

Also I'd say melee is growing in Georgia.

edit: I'd also say the Falcon metagame still hasn't caught up with Darkrain.

Top Bottom