• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Scene: Growing or Dying?

BunBun

Smash Master
I'd love to say Melee is growing
but isn't it nearly dead in the MW?
Not really. Both Melee and Brawl are alive and doing quite well here.
Melee: Our small regionals average ~65 people and are larger ones have upward of 120 (SMYM10).
aww so sad

a couple of my sibs play with me

and my older brother makes fun of the lot of us
Your family is badass.

Sugoi Kawaii Moe Chan also brought something new to the table with Falcon by how gay he played. Hopefully, he will keep going to tournaments.
I hear that guy has mad cow disease.

L__

Smash Master
of course brawl is gonna be compared with melee. Its the **** sequel! People watch sequel's to movies and buy sequel's to games because they liked the first one.
So the fact that the game physics and mechanics being changed means they're the same game right?

So we should compare them? Games that have not much in common?

Okay.

Stev

Smash Ace
So the fact that the game physics and mechanics being changed means they're the same game right?

So we should compare them? Games that have not much in common?

Okay.
considering that the object of the game is exactly the same, almost all the characters carried over with almost all of the exact same moves, the title is almost exactly the same... ya, i'd say they should be compared.

L__

Smash Master
considering that the object of the game is exactly the same, almost all the characters carried over with almost all of the exact same moves, the title is almost exactly the same... ya, i'd say they should be compared.
way to ignore what I just said

I was talking about mainly the mechanics of the game itself

not the movesets

and because...you know

titles mean everything

edit:

to avoid off-topic discussion

if you guys are really going to be *****y about this

AIM me

Junpappy

Smash Lord
From your perspective Melee can't compare to any other game, which means it is neither a good nor bad game right?

He ignored everything you said because they were stupid reasons not to compare the two games.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Doesn't matter how different the mechanics are. If it bears the SAME NAME/FRANCHISE, it WILL be compared to it's predecessors, especially if they are in the same genre, whether you like it or not.

See the following:
Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2.
Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross
Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts
Super Monkey Ball and Super Monkey Ball Adventure.

After all, ever seen a movie sequel that was bad? What was the first thing you compared it to?

L__

Smash Master
Doesn't matter how different the mechanics are. If it bears the SAME NAME/FRANCHISE, it WILL be compared to it's predecessors, especially if they are in the same genre, whether you like it or not.

See the following:
Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2.
Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross
Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts
Super Monkey Ball and Super Monkey Ball Adventure.

After all, ever seen a movie sequel that was bad? What was the first thing you compared it to?
uhm...

okay

what I said was dumb

-shrug-
This isn't going anywhere

If you guys want

You can keep bothering me over AIM

I really don't care

OnTopic:

Melee in my area is still going as strong as it was before

Kind of sad that I joined in after the supposed Golden Age of Smash

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I'd personally say Melee is a bit more popular over here.

Unfortunately, when I'm back home in New Jersey, it's Brawl Brawl Brawl with only Melee friendlies on the side.

Luckily for me, I like all 3 games lol.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
OnTopic:

Melee in my area is still going as strong as it was before

Kind of sad that I joined in after the supposed Golden Age of Smash
I know how it feels. I had to stop on account of having to get my learner's permit and sign up/study/take the SATs, both reasoning and subject tests.

L__

Smash Master
I can't practice/play as much as I did before

SATs coming up in October

But after October/first semester

Melee

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
L. What about Kira?

LOL j/k.

As a follow up to my post. I feel like Melee can have another Golden Age. All 3 meta games (Yes, I'm suggesting 64's meta will improve... somehow) will improve with Kalliera64, Melee Revival, and "Younger than 16" tourney Brawl players.

There is no comparison or hate between the 3.

There is only Smash.

L__

Smash Master
L. What about Kira?

LOL j/k.

As a follow up to my post. I feel like Melee can have another Golden Age. All 3 meta games (Yes, I'm suggesting 64's meta will improve... somehow) will improve with Kalliera64, Melee Revival, and "Younger than 16" tourney Brawl players.

There is no comparison or hate between the 3.

There is only Smash.
He's in SoCal

We might be money matching at R3

derfleurer

Smash Journeyman
Except that you can't get into any University without them (some accept the ACT in place).

But no, you don't need to study. It's easier than anything they prep you for in High School.

soap

Smash Hero
studying doesn't hurt

it makes u realize that u really didn't have to study

and that made me feel better

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
sure its easy, but you wont get above a 2200 without doing some preparation(i.e. studying)

make sure u can do geometry; that **** sucks when ur like "i know i knew how to do this, but how the hell am i supposed to remember it now?"

sat 2's on the other hand u should review for

SDC

Smash Lord
lol at these big-talkers sayin its easy. its not that easy, they make u wake up early in the morning (so u already have tired johns), then they give u like 20 min to do the whole thing (time johns), make you sit in hard stupid chairs (sore a$$ johns), and then they deaden ur brain with redundant crap (who-really-gives-a-****-anymore johns). if you are not prepared, the SAT is a johnsfest waiting to happen.

L__

Smash Master
You guys are making me confused

I'm gonna study

and try to get new blood into the Melee community

I taught my 8 year old cousin to SHL with Falco and SHFFL

Granted, he's not the fastest

He's only 8

SDC

Smash Lord
You guys are making me confused

I'm gonna study

and try to get new blood into the Melee community

I taught my 8 year old cousin to SHL with Falco and SHFFL

Granted, he's not the fastest

He's only 8
L: "now press L right before you hit the ground"

cuzin: "like this"

*messes it up, dsmashes instead*

L: *sigh* "yes timmy, just like that" :urg:

good work L, prepare our future MaNg0 for his glorious destiny

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
studying doesn't hurt

it makes u realize that u really didn't have to study

and that made me feel better
This is so true...

Almost every test in College I definitely overstudied and had this happen.

Back on topic?

I agree with the Melee changing.

SDC

Smash Lord
lets get back on topic:

I agree with the Melee changing.
been sayin this for a little while now. sheik, marth, and fox dont **** the rest of the cast as hard as they used to, and we've proven that jigglypuff can win tournaments. maybe peach is next? who knows, maybe armada can win pound 4??????:confused: u never know:ohwell:

*plugs jumper cables into thread :p*

LSDX

Wah!
I'd love to say Melee is growing

at least in terms of big names being able to travel and place
Melee is growing the most in the midwest that I've seen (but maybe that's b/c I live in IL >_>). IL is the place to be for the Melee scene.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Melee isn't growing at some like HUGE pace, but its just stabilized itself as being a tournament draw again.
I don't see why there is a need to establish this. It's growing at the pace it did before Brawl was announced, slow and steady, only now its recovering from a "recession."

I think that's remarkable and worthy of note.

PB&J

Smash Hero
Hm...well some areas melee is strong where others some people have chosen to move to a different game.

Here in DE a strong portion of us that are on the boards still play and meet every week or so and just see how we've improved or adjusted since last time. Sadly most college people play either Madden or Halo and the closest thing that is kinda like melee is either SF4 or BB...where they need to use short-cuts apparently.

I'm still a smash fan but I also enjoy doing other fighters but I know that melee will always have a special place where drop zone knee's and stomps will always be awesome.

@PB&J
Yo Dude when is the next time you'll be in the area? I look forward to playing you again and I'm sure Ultima will also want to play you as well. His fox has really improved and I know that you've gotten better since...SPOC in Dec. was the last time I met you?
i remember u guys..the de smash scene to me is growing ..i will be up there around thanksgiving..go to rom 2

oh and the falcon game is changing..hax is def changing it

just my thoughts

ShinigamiMarth

Smash Cadet
It seems like when Brawl came out, many Melee players played Brawl and either

1)Continue to play it now, exclusively.
2)Hated it, and quit Smash alltogether.
Or:

3)Liked it, but play it only for kicks while still working on their Melee skills.

I fall under this third category. I had the game since '03, but didn't get serious about Melee until I got Shadowball2 into the game and ended up falling behind because he got serious about Melee.

I'm still no match for him, but I am getting better...

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
I was thinkin the same thing when I looked in here and was gunna come say it.

__

I pretty much have to go on record and retract my previous statement from a few months ago when I said "melee is really dying and people just dont realize it". I was pretty much dead wrong.

However, Wak is right. It really isnt growing as much as just "changing"; old people are phasing out for various reason and getting replaced by new blood.

More-often-than-not, the new blood tends to be brawl players of various calibers. Yeah, there are some flat out new people showing, but their number pales in comparision to the number of brawl players who are sick and tired of riding the S.S. Metaknight.

This. I was a former Brawl player, got sick of the shi, and went to Melee. In fact, I recorded the TO5 doubles matches that I know all of you have seen (link to them in the sig below... :laugh:)

On point: I sort of see Melee's fate similar to Windows XP Pro, in that both have been around for 10 years. Like IT professionals in their field (most of whom say they will continue using XP Pro past 2011), we don't switch to Brawl or anything else because we love the reliability of the product we are using. In fact, more people now seem to be coming back from the new product to the old, which has to serve testament to Melee's greatness.

alejandroidex

Smash Apprentice
In fact someone(I forgot who) Posted a Video of some dudes recording a Brawl match during Winners Finals at Genesis. Then you hear "OOOOOOOOOH!" and the Camera goes up to the big screen and the guy recording just stays on it Mostly and you see people around the T.V. Who were watching the match stop and stand up. They just stared in amazement. I think that footage basically says it all.
Link of the video Please!

Dorf1233

Smash Journeyman
i quit smash
better go anD play REAL FIGHTING GAME!!

JK jk jk

in mexico melee is alivein some regins , and some brawlers are quitin cuz they get bored

but blawl has more player cuz is easy , many many kids

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Man, about 2/3 (at least 6 of 9) in my game club would rather play Halo. And if not Halo, they're BUGGING ME about Brawl.

Not that that's a bad thing, but I told them a million times that we're doing Melee 'till our singles(starts on 28th) and doubles tourney(after singles) is over.

It just depends on the community, I suppose. But as I've said twice. Melee is GROWING. Had a dose of Super Mushrooms and a Starman.

Oh and sean, Mario for high-tier again. :D KNEE 4 TOP.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Those super murshrooms and starman's you are talking about were preceded by a Green mushroom (ROM).

Top Bottom