• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Madison WI Smashfests!

I find irony in showing up to my midterm tomorrow with a wii or gamecube in my backpack, then ditching straight to smash night.

Jaymo72

Smash Rookie
I work 9:30-5:30 Mon-Fri so I can't imagine getting to Madison by 6. Sounds like a decently large group to play smash though!

sanchaz

Smash Lord
Matt DDF has a TV that will lag for Melee, but will work fine for Brawl.
Rofl!!!!!!!! i may be on that shiz

Jaymo72: I'm not sure what your knowledge of ssbm is, enlighten us. who do you play, what's your personality, and do you also love pikachu! ( that last question is not an option.)

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
Jaymo, you don't have to come for the whole duration. Just drop by any time between 6 and midnight and stay as long as you want. I run special events like mock tournaments and crew battles at 8 every week.

Jaymo72

Smash Rookie
Sounds good if you could PM where to go. I can try to make it out tonight.

As for Melee. I used to main Marth for singles tourneys and Samus for teams. Depending on who I played and how often I played I also play Fox and Falco. I prefer the dirty short hop lazers with Falco though. I have not played melee in probably 2 years now so I would be very rusty. I imagine muscle memory would come back after enough playing. L-Cancelling would be rough at first.

The same group I played Brawl with every week started as a Melee group. We got together every week Wednesday for a few hours like I stated originally.

My mindset has always been to find people better than myself. Some of the people I played with did not have that philosophy and would spend more time complaining about dying.

I enjoyed Melee so much because there was no game like it.

What it comes down to is keeping composure in order to play the game without a clouded mind and a willingness to learn.

Edit: Forgot the Pikachu answer . . . I played pichu before some of the tournaments because it was funny to harass people with my little brother. Eventually we turned our Pichu / Jiggly combo into our teams characters to piss people off. I never got into Pikachu so I hope the little one will suffice!

Also, are wavebirds alright to bring or is everyone cord only? Different places had different rules when I was more active? I have to get my controllers some time when back home but for future knowledge.

Quaz

Smash Master
Im gonna be leaving a bit earlier than 5:30 Jaymo =( maybe we can get together sat night or sunday and play some games!

btw is there some sort of address I can get? I have no idea where to go/where to park etc.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
the building is the memorial union at 800 langdon st on the uw madison campus. You'll have to ask/call sam about parking though.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
Im gonna be leaving a bit earlier than 5:30 Jaymo =( maybe we can get together sat night or sunday and play some games!

btw is there some sort of address I can get? I have no idea where to go/where to park etc.
quaz: I like what this guy is talking about, PLEASE HELP HIM OUT, we got a pro out here, besides if you leave at 5:30 you will get here at 7pm oohhhh a hour lost of melee, seriously you've played more melee then...well you played a lot of that game. at least try to work somethin out with him.

Jaymo: we will have a lot more smashfests on thursday, don't worry. there's a tournament next saturday in madtown. if you can't make it today, please try practicing technical stuff with your characters. then beat sync, quaz.

Jaymo72

Smash Rookie
Saturdays work for me. I could make it late on some Thursdays and I will most likely do that once in a while. Is this community strictly Melee or Brawl or play both? Need to know what I should be spending time on when I have it.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
madison's pretty strictly melee, milwaukee has a few of each, and there's also a few of each scattered elsewhere in WI.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
Our Madison club has one Brawl player.

We're in L110 today, which is the basement room where we were the first night. Don't forget TV's/systems/power strips!

As far as parking, lot 34 where Mundungu parked last time is probably the best bet. Google maps "1515 Tripp Circle." It's the sasme place I'm advising people to park for WUMBO next Saturday.

Tomotoya

Smash Apprentice
Good fest tonight, with one exception.

Sanchez. Stop trolling. Especially trolling with characters you don't play. Seriously.
Oh, and everybody cool the **** out. Just sayin'.

*Waits for "You mad?" responses*

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
@Sanchaz:
I once asked you why you play melee, you didn't seem to know and I didn't really have an answer to that question myself at the time.
I play melee because I love trying new things and not always knowing whats going to happen next. Go in without a plan and without an exit strategy in case things don't work and go from there.
When I watch you play, I feel that you pick the same option every time a certain situation comes up. You're entitled to your play style just as much as I'm entitled to mine, but when I play you I feel our matches are the same every time, except we have different numbers of stocks at the end, it's not a memorable experience for me.
I could be dead wrong about your playstyle, but that's the impression I get from our matches. I enjoy hanging out with you, and you're a much better player than me, but I hope you can see why I don't really enjoy playing against you.

Also GGs everyone and thanks for putting up with my young link.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
Frank's Young Link is pretty bomb (lol), and next time I'm going to win more than I lose against it. I call dibs!

And Sanchez just isn't that fun to play against if you're looking for exciting things to happen. I'm convinced that if he was dashdancing in the middle of the stage and I just stood at the edge and didn't do anything, we would time out.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
@Sanchaz:
I once asked you why you play melee, you didn't seem to know and I didn't really have an answer to that question myself at the time.
I play melee because I love trying new things and not always knowing whats going to happen next. Go in without a plan and without an exit strategy in case things don't work and go from there.
When I watch you play, I feel that you pick the same option every time a certain situation comes up. You're entitled to your play style just as much as I'm entitled to mine, but when I play you I feel our matches are the same every time, except we have different numbers of stocks at the end, it's not a memorable experience for me.
I could be dead wrong about your playstyle, but that's the impression I get from our matches. I enjoy hanging out with you, and you're a much better player than me, but I hope you can see why I don't really enjoy playing against you.

dude, try playing lonejedi sometime. He picks marth/sheik against my yoshi and chaingrabs me :(

Saturdays work for me. I could make it late on some Thursdays and I will most likely do that once in a while. Is this community strictly Melee or Brawl or play both? Need to know what I should be spending time on when I have it.
Maybe you will give me the hope I am looking for. I am like the only dedicated player of brawl. One other person played brawl for a length of time before these smashfests. I am not sure how he feels about it now after playing melee and watching it for so long.

It seems really rare to find people who are willing to play both and seek to get good at both instead of sticking to simply one or the other.

I think you should stick with YL. But, I simply like the idea of an oddity in the norm. So many of us only ever use peach, falcon, marth, shiek, fox, and falco.

I am honestly not sure what I like about melee in particular. I get my enjoyment from simply the number of ways in which I can play the game. I can either try the camping method in some variation, or the approach method in some variation. Whatever the reasons, my biggest satisfaction from melee, and what keeps me at it, is knowing that I am working towards an overall improvement of my skill at something.
I'm convinced that if he was dashdancing in the middle of the stage and I just stood at the edge and didn't do anything, we would time out.
You would get attacked in someway eventually. Ryan would not wait forever in a timed friendly. I think the longest me and ryan ever managed to stall a match was two minutes. But, I think he got tired of shooting lasers while I was hanging on the ledge. Everyone approaches eventually :D

Jaymo72

Smash Rookie
Brawl is completely different and learning the little quirks in the game was entertaining. It is not nearly as technical in my eyes as Melee. I believe Melee still holds that edge. Being that I made the transition to Brawl assuming more tournaments would go to Brawl it hindered my progression in Melee.

I will gladly play both though one will eventually take precedence. Being it is a Melee community I will focus more on that.

Also, if so many people play mostly those specific characters I will work on Samus more. That way I can try to bring a different character.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
I think you should stick with YL. But, I simply like the idea of an oddity in the norm. So many of us only ever use peach, falcon, marth, shiek, fox, and falco.
Playing a character because nobody else does or playing a character because everyone else does is a bad idea. The "LOL I'm using pichu/Ylink/whatever!!!!!!" novelty wears off real quick if you don't enjoy playing him. Being different just to be different is still conformity.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
Deeply philosophical discussion going on here. Doing something different is cool, but if it's strictly worse (as in the case of maining Young Link) there's no reason to handicap yourself because you "don't want to be like everyone else." That's like saying "I play for fun, I don't care if I win." Winning IS fun (not to say that you have to win to have fun, but there is some satisfaction in it), and you'll never get better with that mindset.

Jaymo72

Smash Rookie
I may regret this but if you guys would like to play on Saturday let me know. What a better way to get back into things than a logical beat down.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
Deeply philosophical discussion going on here. Doing something different is cool, but if it's strictly worse (as in the case of maining Young Link) there's no reason to handicap yourself because you "don't want to be like everyone else." That's like saying "I play for fun, I don't care if I win." Winning IS fun (not to say that you have to win to have fun, but there is some satisfaction in it), and you'll never get better with that mindset.
I agree, don't pick a worse character because they're worse, but no character in melee is objectively more fun than another. You play sheik and you don't think she is the best character in the game. How is this so drastically different? Besides, they're just friendlies. I see no problem with playing to win in tournament/seriouslies.

So were you playing YL for the one time novelty or because you might actually enjoy playing with him?
"one time novelty" lasts for like 6 matches. His limitations as a rushdown character are very apparent, and I can see why camping is the favored strategy for YL mains, which doesn't really suit me, but I do enjoy the types of situations I have been able to end up in with YL.

Sorry for filling this thread with nonsense, I've been thinking about smash stuff a lot lately so I tend to go on tangents when talking about just one idea.

Mundungu

Smash Lord
Really fun fest last night, I stood way longer than I should have. Up-throw -> upsmash on jiggs with marth was my highlight.

dude, try playing lonejedi sometime. He picks marth/sheik against my yoshi and chaingrabs me :(
You really haven't played Sanchaz much. You got some work to do Ryan, this guy doesn't hate you yet.

ORLY

Smash Master
Hahahah why do WI players encourage Sanchaz to get people to hate him

All that cheese is going to your heads

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
I play Sheik even though I think Fox/Falco are better because I'm not technically proficient enough to play Fox/Falco at the level I'd like to and I don't like their mechanics as much (easier to combo, more aggressive). I tried switching to Fox once, but failed miserably.

Tomotoya

Smash Apprentice
Wow this board moves fast.
I agree with a lot of what has been said about character selection.
Like... I main Fox only because everyone else just feels wrong... except Falcon. Cause he's Falcon. ;)
But I do think that playing around with other characters is a good idea because some of them teach you things that others don't. Like Ganon wavelanding or Falcon platform canceling or what have you.

What event are we doing next week?

Quaz

Smash Master
For the record I love these kinds of conversations

anyone ever deal with anti-tourney dudes? Im not even talking about smashers.. Im just tlaking about general gamers who hate hate HATE the idea of competitive play. You'll know what I mean when I mention "No items?! Fox only?! FINAL DESTIONATION!!"

I deal with these types of people a lot actually.. and its getting to the point where it REALLY bothers me to PLAY by tournament rules and what not. They also hate the idea of advance techs, but I couldn't just stop doing those could I?

Top Bottom