• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Light Labs: Mega Man Advance Techniques Discovery Thread

BBC7

Smash Ace
My favorite thing to do is work in a short hopped leaf shield as a surprise between short hopping nairs and fairs. A lot of people's reflexive response to MegaMan's projectiles is to play defensively and Leaf Shield is a great way to punish that. I haven't tried Plant Barrier online yet but I imagine it would be even better for this use.
By short-hopped Leaf Shield, do you mean an actual Short-hop + Leaf Shield? Or the Y + B thing that I found? I just want to know if people are using that or not.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
This is a great find. One of the tough things about playing MegaMan seems to be landing a killing blow, as all of his best kill moves are so punishable. It's nice to have a semi-reliable KO string like this one.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
By short-hopped Leaf Shield, do you mean an actual Short-hop + Leaf Shield? Or the Y + B thing that I found? I just want to know if people are using that or not.
Yeah, I mean the Y+B thing you found. It's a great little tech :D

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Seems I've missed this. What exactly is this AT?

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Seems I've missed this. What exactly is this AT?
Hold diagonally down in the direction you want to move, tap Y immediately followed by B. (Think glide toss timing).

Done correctly MegaMan will short hop while firing up Leaf Shield. The leaves will be hitbox ready by the time you land on the ground again.

It's a fun thing to do while hopping over incoming projectiles. I find it especially handy for dealing with people who constantly shield grab and shield roll.

Last edited:

an1bal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anibalt
3DS FC
0018-2664-8234
I thought MM was just a demo thing with me, but Ill be damned if I havent been winning 70% of my for glories with him. People write him off too quickly! Ive been reallllly trying to find another main but I keep coming back to him. Its exciting.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
My Mega Man has just been STOMPING randoms online... I think so far I've lost 2 matches with him total (1 to a random Pac Man that I SD'ed... and then 1 to KMan, who landed a real nice edgeguard on me for a gimp)

It's funny that in a game where I want to main everybody, MM keeps bringing me back and being successful. Gotta love the blue bomber.

EDIT: one downside... killing people is very hard with any significant amount of lag. : /

Last edited:

an1bal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anibalt
3DS FC
0018-2664-8234
Wow! You guys are gonna love this!!
I've tested the Utilt-thing I found with a friend now, and it is indeed garantueed. Actually, it's pretty sick!
How to do it:
When you are at the right hight in the air and the opponent is under you (about a fulljump), throw a MB down.
If it hits the opponent, a buffered Utilt is GARANTUEED afterwards.
This even works when throwing the MB diagonally down, in cases where they're not right under you.
Just make sure you move MM to where the opponent is standing while airbourne.
Same thing - MB hit > BOOM!
The best thing is that this isn't something you can only do at a specific % -- it works just as good on 50% as 150%!
The optimal % to use it, though, is when Utilt starts killing.

Note that it doesn't work with picked up MBs, since they knock the opponent away.
I also want to say that I don't find it too situational, as you can pull this off in a variety of scenarios:
Defensivley, Offensivley, OoS, etc...
However, if the MB doesn't hit, don't Utilt. If they shield or dodge it, act accordingly.

Name-suggestions are very welcomed.

:bluejump: / Z1G

This is amazing

AirShad

Smash Cadet
I just found something out while playing with my friend today. He spiked me while I was trying to recover but I called rush right before he spiked me and instead of dying I bounced off rush a second time which saved me from dying. I wish I saved the replay :/.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I just found something out while playing with my friend today. He spiked me while I was trying to recover but I called rush right before he spiked me and instead of dying I bounced off rush a second time which saved me from dying. I wish I saved the replay :/.
That's sweet. I wonder if this can prove useful in some MUs.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
So I've been playing a lot of Megaman over the last few days and I found a bunch of stuff. First off-

Wow! You guys are gonna love this!!
I've tested the Utilt-thing I found with a friend now, and it is indeed garantueed. Actually, it's pretty sick!
How to do it:
When you are at the right hight in the air and the opponent is under you (about a fulljump), throw a MB down.
If it hits the opponent, a buffered Utilt is GARANTUEED afterwards.
This even works when throwing the MB diagonally down, in cases where they're not right under you.
Just make sure you move MM to where the opponent is standing while airbourne.
Same thing - MB hit > BOOM!
The best thing is that this isn't something you can only do at a specific % -- it works just as good on 50% as 150%!
The optimal % to use it, though, is when Utilt starts killing.

Note that it doesn't work with picked up MBs, since they knock the opponent away.
I also want to say that I don't find it too situational, as you can pull this off in a variety of scenarios:
Defensivley, Offensivley, OoS, etc...
However, if the MB doesn't hit, don't Utilt. If they shield or dodge it, act accordingly.

Name-suggestions are very welcomed.

:bluejump: / Z1G
Damn you beat me to it >.<

I didn't know you could do it with Utilt BUUUUUUT you can do a lot more than just that off of a SH/FH height Metal Blade hit.

Due to the landing lag mechanic in this game, off of a SH or ledge hop, metal blade will always combo into Fsmash, Dash attack, Jabs, Fair and I *think* dash grab and RAR Bair as well. All of this also applies if you hit the opponent out of a double jump a bit higher up.
This makes his game against opponents on the ledge ridiculous as SH MB shuts down ledge hops completely while letting you land and punish whatever the opponent does.

Speaking of awesome things against opponents on the ledge, jabs will beat almost all ledge options and force the opponent to fall right back onto the ledge, except this time with no invulnerability.

Other random stuff:

-Dthrow is godlike. It puts the opponent in a position where we can chase at pretty much any %, yet are able to punish spot dodges or attempted landings if we choose not to chase.

-I am starting to really like Crash bomb. It gives ridiculous combo potential, shield pressure and mindgames.
With the crash bomb stuck to you, Dthrow, Bthrow Fthrow and Dash attack will all transfer the bomb to you then back (Give it one pummel's time on the throws). Doing a dash attack this way is completely safe since if you shield as soon as the move ends you will perfect shield the explosion which punishes anyone trying to punish you.
Off of Bthrow you get a guaranteed Bair (Don't know if it works at higher %s). Fthrow gives a Fair at low percents.
When mixed with jabs and MB, the shield pressure is insane.
If they manage to place the bomb back on you, rolling through the opponent or running in their face and shielding is really good, especially if you are good at perfect shielding the explosion.
If you place it on the ledge, you can protect yourself while rising by using the getup's invincibility to go through the explosion. You can also do a ledgehop Bair to combo into the explosion and combo off of it (Not sure exactly what you can follow it up with atm. Need to test it.)

-Lemons have ridiculous priority. I've seen a single Nair lemon nullify Ganon's Usmash. That **** is crazy.

That's all I have for now.

EDIT:

Upwards thrown MB combos into Usmash if the opponent is at full jump height or closer.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I didn't know you could do it with Utilt BUUUUUUT you can do a lot more than just that off of a SH/FH height Metal Blade hit.
Ye, if they're at a low % and the MB hits, I usually go for a grab or Usmash.
But if they're at kill-%, BOOM, Utilt. One of my friends calls it the Z1gma Upper, lol.
Also, It might be possible to place Rush underneath them during the stun > Uair String. Gonna try that out.

btw, Fromundaman, where do I recognize you from, again?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Ye, if they're at a low % and the MB hits, I usually go for a grab or Usmash.
But if they're at kill-%, BOOM, Utilt. One of my friends calls it the Z1gma Upper, lol.
Also, It might be possible to place Rush underneath them during the stun > Uair String. Gonna try that out.

btw, Fromundaman, where do I recognize you from, again?
I was a Mario/Kirby/Ganon player during Brawl. I was also the mod for the Kirby and Mario boards until I dropped the game for MVC3.

Now I just play Injustice and am starting to pick up Smash 4.

Also I like that Z1gma Upper name!

Last edited:

uncaDon

Smash Cadet
Wow, that zigma upper **** has really opened my eyes to approaching with diagonal mblades. Even if they shield it you often land in a spot where you can just shoot lemons or grab them.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Finally unlocked all the custom moves for MM.

IMO:
MB > SB/HB
CB > DW > IS
RC >> Beat/TH
SB > LS >> PB

Can see some people playing around with Down/Side Specials at high level play, but MB just has too much going for it and RC is definitely one of the best recoveries in the game, so there's not need for the other two.

Can see a MB > D-Throw > DW > etc.

SB comes out slow, but it is huge, doesn't last for long, and has decent range (someone's going to need to see if it can reflect projectiles after being thrown). I see this as being the preferred D-Special, though LS needs some more experimentation.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I feel like the Rush Cancel is far too valuable to give up in most matchups in this game, and the recovery with it is good.
HOWEVER, I can see a lot of potential in Tornado Hold in some matchups. It extends a hitbox downward, which lifts the opponent up from the ground... so you can actually combo upB > hard knuckle, etc. So there is a lot of potential there. but again, the get out of jail free card is really hard to put on the bench. Also, camping out somebody's invincibility by just jumping on Rush several times is great.
IMO the only real reason you'd pick Beat is for the sound effect it makes.

I see almost no practical use for shadow blade, as you have to be closer than Megaman is actually comfortable being to use it.. It's also limited on slopes and angles into the ground, etc. I like the bombs though... just have to get better at controlling them.

Crash Bomb is one of MM's most valuable moves, imo... you can use it and metal blade alternately to outspam darn near everyone... and if you get the stick, it always leads to an unfavorable situation for the opponent. I love this option.
Danger wrap is interesting, but Megaman is so good at punishing landings that I just don't think he needs it, except possibly against super jumpy characters... but even still, I don't see why you'd use it instead of just waiting with an usmash or sending an uair.
The only positives, imo, for Ice slasher are that A) it puts the opponent in the air (again, Megaman loves that situation), and B) it seems to pierce some other projectiles... so it may be the best anti-spam option he has (in theory). So for >B, I think all three are decent options... I just have a hard time giving up the amazing option that is crash bomb.

For down B, I'm really mixed. I would probably use Skull Barrier against somebody like Samus or DHD, but otherwise (and against characters that aren't COMPLETELY based on projectiles), I don't like it much. I have actually really grown to like throwing a leaf shield at somebody recovering (because that hitbox is huge, so people jump to avoid it and end up eating a bair). I like the onstage work of Plant barrier (wish it lasted longer), but I personally feel it's the weakest of the 3, as I learn how to effectively use the throw.

So for me:
B: Metal Blade > Bombs >>> Shadow Blade
>B: Crash Bomb > Ice Slasher > Danger Wrap
^B: Rush > Tornado Hold >>> Beat
vB: Leaf Shield/Skull Barrier > Plant Barrier

I could see my 2 tournament setups being:
A) Standard vanilla Megaman
B) Metal Blade, Ice Slasher, Rush, Skull Barrier (for anti-spam)

With the slight caveats that I think bombs have potential (not sure they'd ever outdo metal blade) and Tornado Hold MIGHT be amazing (need more testing with it)

BBC7

Smash Ace
Hold diagonally down in the direction you want to move, tap Y immediately followed by B. (Think glide toss timing).

Done correctly MegaMan will short hop while firing up Leaf Shield. The leaves will be hitbox ready by the time you land on the ground again.

It's a fun thing to do while hopping over incoming projectiles. I find it especially handy for dealing with people who constantly shield grab and shield roll.
I just realized that this may actually be more difficult to do on a GameCube controller due to the layout. Meh, we'll find a way to make it work.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
The funniest thing happened in a bowser matchup. We were both down to 1 stock and the opponent was trying to Bowsercide (side-b off the stage... which kills the opponent before it kills Bowser. Something I learned the hard way in an earlier match). I hit Bowser with a crash bomb and he got me with the side-B grab. Since Bowser doesn't flinch to the first few hits of the crash bomb, he went straight to his death while I was freed when the explosion went off.

MegaMan side-B > Bowser side-B

V_x_I_D

Smash Apprentice
NNID
V_x_I_D
The funniest thing happened in a bowser matchup. We were both down to 1 stock and the opponent was trying to Bowsercide (side-b off the stage... which kills the opponent before it kills Bowser. Something I learned the hard way in an earlier match). I hit Bowser with a crash bomb and he got me with the side-B grab. Since Bowser doesn't flinch to the first few hits of the crash bomb, he went straight to his death while I was freed when the explosion went off.

MegaMan side-B > Bowser side-B
HAHAHAHA, serves him right, I learned about Bowsercide the hard way, too.
At first I was in awe, but then I thought about how much it makes the edges a VERY dangerous place to be around when fighting Bowser.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
I apologize if this has been brought up already but I was wondering, if Megaman uses Rush, then gets spiked, can he vector into the rush that's already out to break his fall and bounce back up to recover before using it a second time? Or would he just pass through rush instead for some reason or would rush vanish or fall down too quickly?

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I apologize if this has been brought up already but I was wondering, if Megaman uses Rush, then gets spiked, can he vector into the rush that's already out to break his fall and bounce back up to recover before using it a second time? Or would he just pass through rush instead for some reason or would rush vanish or fall down too quickly?
I don't know for sure, but this sounds like it would be a really rare situation. You really shouldn't be getting spiked often with Rush if you're sweet spotting the ledge.

Speaking of Rush, I've been having fun "Rush Trapping" falling opponents. What I do is get under a falling opponent to bait an air dodge, then hit Rush into a buffered uair.

When done correctly the opponent bounces off Rush and ends up right above me, then eats a uair and usually gets carried off stage. I've gotten some kills at silly low percentages with this.

It's not really that practical a combo because it's pretty easy to just fall to the side of Rush, so it's tricky to place him correctly. It's a fun way to do a flashy kill when I can pull it off, though.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I've been spiked into rush multiple times (mostly by Link when I was playing the demo). You just bounce back up like nothing ever happened. It's a handy safety net, but I wouldn't count on it too much though.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Uptilt his initial invincibility frames. Go to training and uptilt bob-ombs lol
Can confirm.

Just did this.

my god lol.

Also why are people counting out tornado hold already?

That thing has cuhrazy OoS applications.

It's a super legit choice on any walled stage because of how good Mega's wall jump is.

I've gotten some super low percent kills with tornado hold OoS > uair and TH OoS > dj Bair

Yeah it's not all around good like RC, but (just like SB), it has its situational uses.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I don't know for sure, but this sounds like it would be a really rare situation. You really shouldn't be getting spiked often with Rush if you're sweet spotting the ledge.

Speaking of Rush, I've been having fun "Rush Trapping" falling opponents. What I do is get under a falling opponent to bait an air dodge, then hit Rush into a buffered uair.

When some correctly the opponent bounces off Rush and ends up right above me, then eats a uair and usually gets carried off stage. I've gotten some kills at silly low percentages with this.

It's not really that practical a combo because it's pretty easy to just fall to the side of Rush, so it's tricky to place him correctly. It's a fun way to do a flashy kill when I can pull it off, though.
Pulled off the double up air rush kill more than a couple times after I saw this. It's situational, yes, but it works more often than you would think.

Zori

Smash Champion
It's all about the pellets spacing guys, every mu has a specific spacing....... and I will find it

Last edited:

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Wow some of these techniques are amazing. I've found out for myself that approaching with thrown down metal blades is great but I didn't realize it really does guarantee buffer into a number of moves, especially that rock upper u-tilt of his which is great cause that has to be one of the most powerful moves in the game. The pellets are incredible too, even as this unorthodox escape move by using the forward tilt version while walking it looks so silly but it's great. The fact those pellets have like, almost no landing recovery is just amazing too.

Personally I don't think this character can count out any move. I kinda feel like every move he has is situational, and will have some use somewhere. I think that's one of the reasons why many find him difficult to use at first.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
It's all about the pellets spacing guys, every mu has a specific spacing....... and I will find it
I agree with this. I'm so disappointed to see that nobody really utilizes Megaman's spacing tools with his pellets. His ftilt may seem unsafe at first glance since it forces you to approach the opponent, but what nobody realizes is that you can jump out of each individual shot to maintain your distance.

Against grounded opponents, the standard combo is pellet -> pellet -> short hop retreating pellet.
If the opponent is approaching by air, the input would be short or normal hop backwards, nair-> nair-> nair, or simply a fair if he is close.

If you can maintain your spacing and keep up the pressure, this forces your opponent to approach with limited options. One of their options is by rolling into you which is always bad news for them if you can predict it. Their other option is shielding the pellets, and running in during the pause between three pellet shots, which can be played around. For example, if they're close enough, you can mix it up with two pellet shots -> dash grab. You can also shoot three pellet shots, and hit them with a metal blade as they drop their shield.

Zori

Smash Champion
Yes I agree! I really don't know what's certain characters can do if you're pellets are on point, simple things like short hop double pellet shuts down a lot of options. The fact that you can jump out of pellets at anytime is insane it's slowly becoming a "just throw it out move" because I can't think of any repercussions on using it.

You can also use them after your opponent air dodges an airial for some sick set ups. It really helps maintaining pressure

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Unrelated to MegaMan's lemons (I agree with a lot of what you said. See my signature):

I think down throw --> FAir is becoming more known. And is inciting air dodges right after the down throw. Is there something we can do to punish these air dodges?

Sorry for completely topic shifting, I just thought of this after some film study.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
But at mid %'s, it's only 4%. After the FAirs stop working and before kill %, I feel like you just want to rack up %.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Unrelated to MegaMan's lemons (I agree with a lot of what you said. See my signature):

I think down throw --> FAir is becoming more known. And is inciting air dodges right after the down throw. Is there something we can do to punish these air dodges?

Sorry for completely topic shifting, I just thought of this after some film study.
Dthrow again. I actually try to condition my opponents to air dodge to tech chase with another Throw. This makes people respect it and allows you to mix up all of our follow ups and keep the opponent t guessing.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Dthrow again. I actually try to condition my opponents to air dodge to tech chase with another Throw. This makes people respect it and allows you to mix up all of our follow ups and keep the opponent t guessing.
Ooh. I like this idea. Do you do an empty jump to give the impression of a FAir?

BBC7

Smash Ace
Ooh. I like this idea. Do you do an empty jump to give the impression of a FAir?
This actually has me thinking, would it be possible to do Down Throw -> Empty Jump -> D-Tilt? I like D-Tilt as a move, it grants mobility as well as attack, and it's hard to whiff punish although easy to shield punish.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I actually didn't think of doing that. I've been running under them at low %s to shield and grab, allowing me to block a Nair if they do one and grab punish regardless.

At mid %s I throw out a tornado and try to grab if they airdodge or do a DJ Bair.

At higher %s chase with tornados and attempt to Usmash if they airdodge.

I need to start doing the thing someone mentioned though and putting Rush under them when they airdodge and doing Uair for earlier kills.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I actually didn't think of doing that. I've been running under them at low %s to shield and grab, allowing me to block a Nair if they do one and grab punish regardless.

At mid %s I throw out a tornado and try to grab if they airdodge or do a DJ Bair.

At higher %s chase with tornados and attempt to Usmash if they airdodge.

I need to start doing the thing someone mentioned though and putting Rush under them when they airdodge and doing Uair for earlier kills.
Oh, man. The Rush Uair kills are so fun. Yeah, playing right now I've noticed that they DI (or vector) closer to mess up the FAir, so throwing out the UAir does well. Also, after FAir, sometimes they try to double jump over you to cross you up, in which case UAir can solve that. I'm trying to be more aggressive, and I feel like the down throws are a great way to keep reset while being aggressive. I'll try the Usmash off of the down throw.

@ BBC7 BBC7 - I like the dtilt, but I think it might be hard to time to get it before they can get their shield up. Also, I'd use it if you want them to get away and start playing a bit defensive. If you want to keep offensive pressure, I like the continuous grabs.

Also... I think I just found something SUUUPER interesting. Something that could really make more people use Mega Man as a counterpick character. Needs some more testing... but it's a serious blow to the matchup with a certain commonly used character.

Top Bottom