• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Light Labs: Mega Man Advance Techniques Discovery Thread

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Any tips on using hard knuckle? It's really punishable if it misses.
Atm, I think its Main Purpose is for edgeguarding where you won't run the risk of getting punished that much.
However, if you are 100% sure the enemy will try to juggle you on stage, and you're high enough in the air, a well-timed Knuckle can dish out good damage.
You can also use it to turn the tables on ppl who try to edgeguard you.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Any tips on using hard knuckle? It's really punishable if it misses.
Here's a bit on it I wrote from my guide, hope it's somewhat helpful:

VI.)HARD KNUCKLE

Down Aerial- A pretty unique move here, a meteor smash from a decent distance away. Despite working best at a range though, it does in fact do more damage up close, which is worth noting. Now, I feel the best way to pull this off is to:

1.Jump off, making sure to keep a jump
2. Align yourself with the opponent
3.Using your double jump, proceed to dair them as the first jump was bait.

Please include mix ups, mix ups are an important part to any healthy metagame.

Now, this move can be used to combo, although it can be teched. To use this onstage with no lag, jump, gain a bit of height, then jump again as you use it. Depending on when you jumped, this can be fast falled towards the end of its duration, although it's safer not to unless you've got the distance down. This will allow you to utilize it, say, after a crash bomb goes off, and depending on whether or not they tech ti can be followed with an Up Tilt.

Crash Bomb ->Dair->Utilt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2OrJiY5tfM

Overall, given its unusual nature, I'd say it's about average. It has a small sweet spot, and is quite laggy, but when properly spaced its safe and can be used to at the very least follow up a move or two. I'd have scored this as below average, but the range on it is what somewhat redeems it.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Here's a bit on it I wrote from my guide, hope it's somewhat helpful:

VI.)HARD KNUCKLE

Down Aerial- A pretty unique move here, a meteor smash from a decent distance away. Despite working best at a range though, it does in fact do more damage up close, which is worth noting. Now, I feel the best way to pull this off is to:

1.Jump off, making sure to keep a jump
2. Align yourself with the opponent
3.Using your double jump, proceed to dair them as the first jump was bait.

Please include mix ups, mix ups are an important part to any healthy metagame.

Now, this move can be used to combo, although it can be teched. To use this onstage with no lag, jump, gain a bit of height, then jump again as you use it. Depending on when you jumped, this can be fast falled towards the end of its duration, although it's safer not to unless you've got the distance down. This will allow you to utilize it, say, after a crash bomb goes off, and depending on whether or not they tech ti can be followed with an Up Tilt.

Crash Bomb ->Dair->Utilt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2OrJiY5tfM

Overall, given its unusual nature, I'd say it's about average. It has a small sweet spot, and is quite laggy, but when properly spaced its safe and can be used to at the very least follow up a move or two. I'd have scored this as below average, but the range on it is what somewhat redeems it.
One thing I like to do is z-drop a metal blade immediately before the dair. Sending two down attacks at once makes both less punishable.

This allows you to send down two projectiles right next to each other, which increases the chances that one of them hits. I find that opponents who try to dodge roll or spot dodge one often get hit by the other.

There are other perks too: sometimes your opponent will catch the blade rather than performing an attack, which can screw up his rhythm. And occasionally the metal blade will knock your opponent into the path of the Hard Knuckle.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
One thing I like to do is z-drop a metal blade immediately before the dair. Sending two down attacks at once makes both less punishable.

This allows you to send down two projectiles right next to each other, which increases the chances that one of them hits. I find that opponents who try to dodge roll or spot dodge one often get hit by the other.

There are other perks too: sometimes your opponent will catch the blade rather than performing an attack, which can screw up his rhythm. And occasionally the metal blade will knock your opponent into the path of the Hard Knuckle.
I'll have to try that out, even if it works though I like to usually use my MB while grounded. I never have one in the air lol.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Been playing around with the sand bag here and there. I pretty much stopped playing the demo at this point. I feel like adapting to computers will only be detrimental to myself as a player because computers have taught me bad habits in my Brawl days.

However, does anyone else see crazy good potential in Mega Man's Pivot F-Tilt? I feel like that is something most of us have not touched on (If I missed it, I'm sorry). It's great for spacing ourselves while not running away and going purely defensive route.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I feel like I should stress this: CHARGE SHOT IS AN OP EDGEGUARDING MOVE. You can use it once the opponent waste their jumps and/or punish air dodges off-stage. It's range and power are enough to screw opponents over at mid%. It's also entirely safe as long as you aren't too close to the edge (e.g. Mario trying to sweet-spot the ledge or trying to "edge-break"). I'm telling you, it's OP.

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Been playing around with the sand bag here and there. I pretty much stopped playing the demo at this point. I feel like adapting to computers will only be detrimental to myself as a player because computers have taught me bad habits in my Brawl days.

However, does anyone else see crazy good potential in Mega Man's Pivot F-Tilt? I feel like that is something most of us have not touched on (If I missed it, I'm sorry). It's great for spacing ourselves while not running away and going purely defensive route.
Yeah, pivot jab and pivot ftilt are nice.

Pivot fsmash can also be a really great way to punish your opponents' whiffs, but I have trouble consistently pulling it off. The input is very unforgiving-a few frames, max. If you hit A too soon on the pivot you get the dash attack, and too late you get the jab.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Yeah, pivot jab and pivot ftilt are nice.

Pivot fsmash can also be a really great way to punish your opponents' whiffs, but I have trouble consistently pulling it off. The input is very unforgiving-a few frames, max. If you hit A too soon on the pivot you get the dash attack, and too late you get the jab.
Yeah. Circle Pad makes it tough. If pivot tilting can be accomplished with a C-Stick, then I think every character will be able to viably pull it out.

BBC7

Smash Ace
If we're on the concept of pivoting, Pivot Jump Bair is really good for edgeguard and kills, since you carry forward momemtum while using a Backwards move. Although I think everyone knows this by now.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Pivot jump fair is another pretty interesting option, maybe offstage for low recoveries.

Can't wait for tomorrow, where can people exchange FCs?

ChickenBandit

Smash Rookie
There's better things you could do with the Leaf Shield, in my opinion. An example is this:

1. Hit someone with the Crash Bomb
2. After the Crash Bomb is attached to the enemy, throw a Metal Blade towards the floor
3. Pick up the Metal Blade
4. Activate Leaf Shield while you have the Metal Blade in your hands(this makes you harder to approach for passing on the Crash Bomb)
5. Wait for the Crash Bomb to explode, and throw your Metal Blade. Decide whether you want to keep your Leaf Shield for pressure or throw it as well.

What this does is that now, you have offensive pressure with your Crash Bomb, Metal Blade, and Leaf Shield.
Seems to me it would be far more efficient to pick up a metal blade before throwing the crash bomb. You can throw the blade and hit them with lemons if they're trying to shield. Picking up the blade after the crash bomb gives them too much time to run away.

BBC7

Smash Ace
By the way, I found out that you can use the start-up frames of the Leaf Shield to jump, then quickly land back onto the ground around the frames(not always exact) that your Leaf Shield is set up. How it works is that Leaf Shield has a slight pull to it if you use it in mid-air, and this technique utilizes that pull to quite an effect.

Downwards on C-Stick(90 degree angle or 45 degree angle) -> Y + B(Y just slighty before B, full jump)

If you go downwards 90 degrees, you will do a purely vertical hop while activating the Leaf Shield. If you go downwards 45 degrees, you can gain horizontal distance as well as minor verical distance. The Leaf Shield pull ensures that you can use your Leaf Shield once you hit ground, which gives you plenty of time to use it.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
Leaf Shield goes through the Villager's tree. I found that useful in the demo. Probably already been said.

BBC7

Smash Ace
I'm just hoping that what I found is actually an AT and not just some stupid "technique" that doesn't actually exist.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
By the way, I found out that you can use the start-up frames of the Leaf Shield to jump, then quickly land back onto the ground around the frames(not always exact) that your Leaf Shield is set up. How it works is that Leaf Shield has a slight pull to it if you use it in mid-air, and this technique utilizes that pull to quite an effect.

Downwards on C-Stick(90 degree angle or 45 degree angle) -> Y + B(Y just slighty before B, full jump)

If you go downwards 90 degrees, you will do a purely vertical hop while activating the Leaf Shield. If you go downwards 45 degrees, you can gain horizontal distance as well as minor verical distance. The Leaf Shield pull ensures that you can use your Leaf Shield once you hit ground, which gives you plenty of time to use it.
Cool find! This seems to be good for jumping over projectiles and maybe dtilts.

Megaman765

Smash Rookie
I doubt I'm the first, but I now just discovered that if you shoot the crash bomb at the villager's balloons while he's recovering, they explode immediately. That'd make Megaman a serious problem for any villager players.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Well, it seems any object that isn't "stickable" will just cause the crash bomb to blow up (e.g. Sandbag, projectiles)

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
Good job giving Bowser super armor through pellets and most of the explosion of crash bomb nintendo.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Alright, so metal blade isn't completely random as I've figured out.
When thrown into the ground, it will stay out for 2.5 seconds before disappearing.
If it doesn't dissapear when thrown into the ground again, the timer for it resets.
I've mashed down-tossing the metal blade, and I've managed to get it to last 6-12 tosses. I feel there is a way to keep it from dissapearing when thrown and that it isn't entirely RNG. Needs more testing, though.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Ooooookay.... Been playing some For Glory. Mega Man is a complete beast.
I think I've found ways to garantuee Utilt at like any%. Needs some further testing, though.

BBC7

Smash Ace
Ooooookay.... Been playing some For Glory. Mega Man is a complete beast.
I think I've found ways to garantuee Utilt at like any%. Needs some further testing, though.
I believe he's powerful as well. He definitely stands a chance against characters like Little Mac, Sheik, and ZSS. Sheik and ZSS felt like a solid 50/50 to me. Little Mac actually felt like a 60/40 in MM's favor, although I'm sure that's just because the player wasn't very good.

About Mega Man being a beast, I actually only played 5 games with him. Although, I currently have a 100% win percentage with Mega Man, heh. So I guess he's good from what you and I gather.

zeriph

Smash Journeyman
I went 18-0 playing randoms in for glory before i lost with him. After playing a few games with Rosalina and Greninja as well I'm now at 27-11. I think the cries of Megaman being low tier were unfounded.

Last edited:

BBC7

Smash Ace
27-9 here, and that's actually because some of my fights were too laggy for me to actually win. Only about 5 of my losses were due to lack of skill on my part. I've encountered this one Ike player, and I took both of his stocks while I was at 9% and 2 stocks. Ike vs Mega Man must be a very bad MU for Ike, although it's possible that I just encountered a horrible player.

EDIT: Make it 36-9, I just went online and kicked some butt with my boy Mega Man

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Hmm, but were the rivals you guys fought good?
Honest question, no sarcasm intended. Hearing people saying that they've won a lot with Mega online gives me relief but I want to make sure.

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Here's a fortunate thing for us and an unfortunate thing for Rosalina players: Crash Bomb immediately detonates when it hits Luma.
Makes it REALLY easy to shield pressure her.

MegaMan seems like a tough MU for Rosalina in general, at least from what I've played online. His projectile game and air superiority can really put her on her back foot.

Zori

Smash Champion
Rosalina is going to be a very interesting match up, on paper she stops megaman cold but really it's impracticable for someone to react to EVERY projectile.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Have only unlocked Hyper Bomb and Plant Barrier.

Haven't done too much with Plant Barrier, but you can do the Grenade Drop in the air with Hyper Bomb if you fast fall, just like the Metal Blade.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Rosalina is going to be a very interesting match up, on paper she stops megaman cold but really it's impracticable for someone to react to EVERY projectile.
The Rosalina matchup is very interesting. I feel like the star bits are around the same range as lemons and it can be hard to get through Luma. Conversely, the crash bomb detonates instantly when it hits Luma (and if it's close enough, it'll hit Rosalina). I haven't come across a Rosalina that's been very good yet (I am hoping to make her one of my mains/secondaries and I'm no good either).

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Been using crash bomb religiously. My favorite thing so far is sticking them and using fully charged F-Smash to either poke or break their shield. So many players I have been experiencing do not know how to handle it or aren't fast enough to pass it back.

Anyone interested in helping organize a Match Up discussion thread?

BBC7

Smash Ace
Fortunately, I have all of the Special Moves for Mega Man. Here are my opinions. (Top 3 for each special move)

Neutral B:

1. Metal Blade. I feel like the mindgames and tech make this the most valuable of the 3, although not by a long shot. Hyper Bomb is still good for focused damage, but it won't have the value of tricking the opponents quite like Metal Blade can. If I'm not mistaken, the two hits of Metal Blade also do more damage than Hyper Bomb.

2. Hyper Bomb. It is good for the knockback and the fact that it can't be used against you unless it gets reflected, unlike Metal Blade which can be reflected or grabbed. It still does respectable damage to boot and is probably on par with Metal Blade for overall usefulness. I think I like Metal Blade more though.

3. Shadow Blade. Horrible range, and only 4% if both hits connect. Has no use if you throw it into the ground, since it vanishes. It is without a doubt the worst Neutral B, unless someone proves me wrong. It gets bumped up a little if you use Danger Wrap, since I found that you can connect Danger Wrap after both hits for 17%. This is cool, but there are better ways of killing already. Mega's Neutral B should be reserved for damage racking, which Shadow Blade cannot do.

Side B:

1. Crash Bomb. What can I say? I like range and mindgames, both of which Crash Bomb offer. It is his longest range move, and tricking your opponents is a strength of Mega Man. Some gameplans can even be shut off completely by it if they aren't effective enough to counter-act the Crash Bomb. 8% isn't too much, but the explosion can really help into leading with a much more painful attack.

2. Danger Wrap. It does sweet knockback, good damage for a Special at 13%, and also happens to be a kill move. The reason why I place it below Crash Bomb is because the range is almost purely vertical, meaning you have to be right next to someone to land it on the ground. It's a powerful edge guarding tool, but Mega Man already has edgeguarding in the form of Bair. I wouldn't restrict Mega Man's mindgames to just Metal Blade for the sake of a second edgeguarding move.

3. Ice Slasher. Barely does any damage at 4%. I also don't know how the freeze mechanic works, and it's really not important because your opponent will break out of the ice long before you can do anything useful.

Up B:

1. Rush Coil. Rush-cancelling and vertical recovery make this an easy pick. I never struggle with horizontal recovery as Mega Man, so it's nice that Rush Coil doesn't sacrifice vertical recovery for horizontal recovery. Hitstun cancel is also pretty important as to why this is the best Up B.

2. Beat. Sacrifices vertical recovery for horizontal recovery, and I'm not sure if it can hitstun cancel. It's still nice, but Mega Man rarely struggles with horizontal recovery from what I've seen.

3. Tornado Hold. The gimped recovery is not worth being able to damage your opponent for 6%. It cannot hitstun cancel, or at least from what I've tested.

Down B:

1. Skull Barrier. The quick activation and the ability to reflect instead of destroy make this an easy pick as it gives Mega Man an option towards projectiles that really give him trouble and couldn't be dealt with easily sans Skull Barrier. It does no damage on contact and only 2% on throw, but it does a fine job of being a defensive tool, which is what it should be. After all, no one uses Leaf Shield primarily to barge into people for a bit of damage.

2. Leaf Shield. Travels the farthest and is out the longest. I've heard people say Plant Barrier is better, although it's really not because it does a crap job of destroying projectiles in case you need to do so. You can probably deal more damage with Leaf Shield since it is up longer as well, unless you throw it which won't do much either way.

3. Plant Barrier. All of the cons of Leaf Shield, except same or worse. The range is awful and so is the amount of time that Plant Barrier is actually on screen. It's the more offensive brother of Leaf Shield since it does more damage...but it's a damn shield. It's not an offensive tool.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Wow! You guys are gonna love this!!

I've tested the Utilt-thing I found with a friend now, and it is indeed garantueed. Actually, it's pretty sick!
How to do it:
When you are at the right hight in the air and the opponent is under you (about a fulljump), throw a MB down.
If it hits the opponent, a buffered Utilt is GARANTUEED afterwards.
This even works when throwing the MB diagonally down, in cases where they're not right under you.
Just make sure you move MM to where the opponent is standing while airbourne.
Same thing - MB hit > BOOM!
The best thing is that this isn't something you can only do at a specific % -- it works just as good on 50% as 150%!
The optimal % to use it, though, is when Utilt starts killing.

Note that it doesn't work with picked up MBs, since they knock the opponent away.
I also want to say that I don't find it too situational, as you can pull this off in a variety of scenarios:
Defensivley, Offensivley, OoS, etc...
However, if the MB doesn't hit, don't Utilt. If they shield or dodge it, act accordingly.

Name-suggestions are very welcomed.

:bluejump: / Z1G

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
After all, no one uses Leaf Shield primarily to barge into people for a bit of damage.

3. Plant Barrier. All of the cons of Leaf Shield, except same or worse. The range is awful and so is the amount of time that Plant Barrier is actually on screen. It's the more offensive brother of Leaf Shield since it does more damage...but it's a damn shield. It's not an offensive tool.
Never a falser statement has been uttered. Leaf Shield is quickly becoming one of my favorite offensive tools while fighting against other players online.

I find that it works really well as a punish against people who try to shield, shield grab, or shield dodge your attacks. The leaves stuff your opponents in all three circumstances and hold them in place long enough for you to safely grab, pummel, and throw. With a back throw, this easily nets you 20%+ in damage.

My favorite thing to do is work in a short hopped leaf shield as a surprise between short hopping nairs and fairs. A lot of people's reflexive response to MegaMan's projectiles is to play defensively and Leaf Shield is a great way to punish that. I haven't tried Plant Barrier online yet but I imagine it would be even better for this use.

Last edited:

BBC7

Smash Ace
Never a falser statement has been uttered. Leaf Shield is quickly becoming one of my favorite offensive tools while fighting against other players online.

I find that it works really well as a punish against people who try to shield, shield grab, or shield dodge your attacks. The leaves stuff your opponents in all three circumstances and hold them in place long enough for you to safely grab, pummel, and throw. With a back throw, this easily nets you 20%+ in damage.

My favorite thing to do is work in a short hopped leaf shield as a surprise between short hopping nairs and fairs. A lot of people's reflexive response to MegaMan's projectiles is to play defensively and Leaf Shield is a great way to punish that. I haven't tried Plant Barrier online yet but I imagine it would be even better for this use.
Sorry, I was tired when I wrote that and I made that statement because I was comparing Leaf Shield and Plant Barrier to the Skull Barrier without realizing it. Now that I'm less tired, I'll go:

1. Plant Barrier(best for punishing shield, shield grab and shield dodge)
2. Skull Barrier(the only reflecting shield and pretty good at doing so)
3. Leaf Shield(not bad, but Plant Barrier is better for the primary purpose of punishing shields)

Zori

Smash Champion
Wow! You guys are gonna love this!!
I've tested the Utilt-thing I found with a friend now, and it is indeed garantueed. Actually, it's pretty sick!
How to do it:
When you are at the right hight in the air and the opponent is under you (about a fulljump), throw a MB down.
If it hits the opponent, a buffered Utilt is GARANTUEED afterwards.
This even works when throwing the MB diagonally down, in cases where they're not right under you.
Just make sure you move MM to where the opponent is standing while airbourne.
Same thing - MB hit > BOOM!
The best thing is that this isn't something you can only do at a specific % -- it works just as good on 50% as 150%!
The optimal % to use it, though, is when Utilt starts killing.

Note that it doesn't work with picked up MBs, since they knock the opponent away.
I also want to say that I don't find it too situational, as you can pull this off in a variety of scenarios:
Defensivley, Offensivley, OoS, etc...
However, if the MB doesn't hit, don't Utilt. If they shield or dodge it, act accordingly.

Name-suggestions are very welcomed.

:bluejump: / Z1G

Awesome tech!!! I been using uptilt way too much yesterday so this might be the death of me :d but anyways after testing for a little bit, at short hop range this works 100% of the time which is insane. But at full hop or slightly under that I got it to work about 75% of the time. Any way to fix this?

As far as name.... Metal Tilt? MTilt idk we can keep it simple or we can name it after a boss in the game and keep the theme going

BBC7

Smash Ace
I want to call it Metaryuken because it's basically Metal Dragon Punch in Japanese. If not, then Metal Shoryuken might be a more appealing name.

ADAPT Chance

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Adaptchance
3DS FC
4613-8804-8708
Really nice tech guys. I've landed it a few times before but I wasn't sure if it was a viable string till now.

Top Bottom