• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Learn from SK92's Falco here.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Spam... Theres never always a happy thread? D:
Someone call a mod were in grave danger!!:(

Alright than lv 9 it is. I knew you need lv 9 for chain grabs just did not know if you got better DI from the CPU at different levels and depending on what you practiced that would change. Seems like it doesn't really matter, I'll stick with lv 9.

About teching just thought of some methods for it. Grand Prix, Onett, Norfair levels help I think. Grand Prix and norfair can help with teching on the ground. Onett for wall teching. Although what about trying to tech Game & Watch's dthrow?

Am I to assume then that moderatly done spacing will come some what automatically if you just practice enough in Training Mode?

wangston

Smash Lord
To tech G&W d throw hit L or R or what ever your shield is, on his third ball, beep thing, the one before you even hit the ground. Tech that bad boy and get out of there.

Ignatious

Smash Cadet
SK92, is there a reason why you don't approach with a RARed bair? I find Falco's bair to be one of his best moves, but I see you don't use it much at all. Why is this?

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
How you Report someone :(?
You see that triange with a red border inbetween your Online Status and your character, (on mine it'd be the yellow smash ball and Ike) that middle button is how you report someone, click on HiHi's red triangle thing (what else can I call it), and than leave a message why you reported him.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
You see that triange with a red border inbetween your Online Status and your character, (on mine it'd be the yellow smash ball and Ike) that middle button is how you report someone, click on HiHi's red triangle thing (what else can I call it), and than leave a message why you reported him.

I was being sarcastic lol:chuckle:

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
@Brawl Lover: Yes but sometimes the CPU can't scape and the Human Player can like... You can chaingrab Marth CPU but you can't Chaingrab a Marth player he would just up-b out of it everytime, you can still practice it with CPU's to get a hold of it.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
so how the heck am i suppose to practice? my friends always just beat me
Brawl people better than you watch, better player players play, do smart moves, learn your Pros and Cons , Study your character and the matchups and learning all of your AT's and using them well in battle.

Gishnak

Smash Ace
Yeah I got something for you SK92. I'm coming to vegas for the next week or so. I want to play someone better than me. I play a wide variety of characters, but I have no way to prove that I have much skill because my only videos online are old, and I've gotten alot better.

I actually asked to play against you at axis, but you said you were worried about being dqed hahaha.

http://www.getyourtournament.com/multimedia/labels/gishnak.html

So in other words, are you interested for small mini smashfest sometime weds-sat?

Blue_Bomber

Smash Cadet
Well I think there's actually a stickied thread on which chaingrab (walking, running) works on which character. So if you're playing only your friends, go look up their mains. It helps to know everything about all characters regarding the CG when you go tournament lvl though.

So in practice, just practice how to buffer the dash for the running, and when to grab again for walking. And little impromptu tricks like shielding Marth's UpB and either grabbing, Gatling Combo, or charged FSmash while he comes back to the ground. Grabbing him again makes a de facto chaingrab, but be careful how much you use it. :]

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Well I think there's actually a stickied thread on which chaingrab (walking, running) works on which character. So if you're playing only your friends, go look up their mains. It helps to know everything about all characters regarding the CG when you go tournament lvl though.

So in practice, just practice how to buffer the dash for the running, and when to grab again for walking. And little impromptu tricks like shielding Marth's UpB and either grabbing, Gatling Combo, or charged FSmash while he comes back to the ground. Grabbing him again makes a de facto chaingrab, but be careful how much you use it. :]
A good mindgame vs Marth is just chaingrab like two times and then space his Up-B(He propably would do it) when he does it you will be free to punish him at your will.

Blue_Bomber

Smash Cadet
Yep, that's basically a concrete form of the theory I've been working off of against Marth.

The key is to know your opponent, and know when they'll snap, and UpB out of the CG.

Blue_Bomber

Smash Cadet
That's a pretty good start, yes.

Eventually, you'll develop your own flavor based on your own thoughts and impulses, but watching people like SK92 up there reaaaally helps you get a feel for what moves to use in what situation, and where your character excels. Most of your AT's are definitely worth checking out. Gatling Combo, RBPG, IAP, and the like.

Blue_Bomber

Smash Cadet
A lot of melee elitists don't get that. Sure, melee was deeper, but Brawl feels more complete, maybe it's just me...

But not to make this spiral into a Melee/Brawl debate, something else to work out is DI. It's not as essential to Falco as to, say, Link, but you'll really want to work on DI.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Well the AT's techniques I use myself are SHL/DSHL, Gatling Combo, Boost Grab(Helps ALOT trust me) Pivot Grabbing and Fox trotting (Sometimes) all of them are very useful to know so do you're best in mastering them.
And by the way if you analize SK92 play style he uses Bair ALOT, Bair is a good move, good knockback, good speed and hitbox and awesome for edguarding so be sure to use Bair Alot :)

BrawlLover

Smash Champion
A lot of melee elitists don't get that. Sure, melee was deeper, but Brawl feels more complete, maybe it's just me...

But not to make this spiral into a Melee/Brawl debate, something else to work out is DI. It's not as essential to Falco as to, say, Link, but you'll really want to work on DI.
oh na dood, i agree 100 percently, and don't worry about it, brawl will prove to be more complete soon enough, just look at all the tournies bro!

It helps to know everything about all characters regarding the CG when you go tournament lvl though.
Also it helps to study a little bit about the other characters in general as well. Just knowing what to expect from a certain character really helps. A good example might be the ice climbers. You do not want to get caught in their chain grab, so you would want to play smart and try a keepaway kind of game play against them. A few other examples of what I am talking about might be that marth and MK have good UpB so you do not really want to try and follow them off the stage to try and spike them as you will probably get hit bounce off the under. G&W has the bucket, so you do not want to spam lasers against him from far away. Just some knowledge on the characters moves and habits although remember since each person is different they would apply their characters moves in different ways.

I like both. They have almost completly different playing styles. Melee is to me a lot more fast paced than brawl. And to me Brawl being a bit slower makes it easier for people to pick up, so there might be more competition in later years than melee.

Really annoying going from melee to brawl and vice versa. It really messes me up with the timing of the SHL/SHDL

Blue_Bomber

Smash Cadet
Brawl isnt that hard to learn. Watch good peoples videos on youtube and copy them.
QFT

Then again, that makes it accessible.

The true challenge is in making your own flavor. Your own spin on the game, as a player of the game. Learn the game through one character's eyes, and if you have the drive for the game, and inspiration, go the way of Taj and Gimpy and play low tier, if that's what makes you happy. The technical shortcomings are a lot less prevalent and ****ing than they were in Melee, so experiment. There's a lot that people can access much earlier in Brawl than they could in Melee because the technical wall is that much lower.

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
QFT

Then again, that makes it accessible.

The true challenge is in making your own flavor. Your own spin on the game, as a player of the game. Learn the game through one character's eyes, and if you have the drive for the game, and inspiration, go the way of Taj and Gimpy and play low tier, if that's what makes you happy. The technical shortcomings are a lot less prevalent and ****ing than they were in Melee, so experiment. There's a lot that people can access much earlier in Brawl than they could in Melee because the technical wall is that much lower.
which isnt necessarily a good thing. imho melee gave me more of a thrill than brawl. i remember watching a vid of ken vs. chillin where chillin was up 2 stocks then ken came back with 0-death combos and won. to me, knowing that even though i have a lead, that if i even make a single mistake it could be all gone any moment was just....awesome. anyways, more technical stuff made the game more "advanced", there were more things you can do. im still kinda pissed they took out l-canceling in ssbb. WD i can understand (sorta) but taking out l-canceling just didn't make sense. also, melee gave me more of a sense of accomplishment because it was that much harder to become proficient at. pulling off a sick combo in melee never failed to get me excited, whereas in brawl, its more defensive.

however, im NOT hating on brawl. brawl is a good game and has its own merits, such as more accessibility, more characters, etc.

Blue_Bomber

Smash Cadet
Exactly! And that's why soooo many people loved Melee... myself included. But in keeping up with all the technical skill, those of us that couldn't devote all of our time to Melee quickly lost out on the mindgames/ variety/unpredictability side of smash.

WD I can understand. I actually favor the ability to use multiple air dodges. It feels like... it sets you up for more defensive fakeouts while WD made for offensive fakeouts. I guess smash as a whole shifted over to defensive when Brawl came out. But then it seems almost more about prediction and theory than (perhaps I'm blaspheming) Melee. In melee, it was all about landing that first hit in a combo, then if you played top tier, and had knowledge enough of the physics and deft enough fingers, that was usually a stock, unless your opponent had perfect DI and teching (actually very common.) in which case it was just a massive disadvantage.

Where brawl is all about faking your opponent into a series of hits that are technically escapable. About manipulating your opponent mentally and then punishing them for their actions. It's more about the mind, than the fingers.

But then it seems I've derailed the topic... this is about SK92, isn't it? XD

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I don't get why people keep saying that Melee's technical elements took away from the "mindgames." If anything it enhanced it, as in Melee you have a bazillion more ways to "mindgame" your opponent than in Brawl since the technical elements give the characters infinitely more flexibility in their movements. That doesn't include all the mind tricks that come with chasing DI and techs for combos. All mindgaming in Brawl really boils down to is spacing/being patient until you get a hit then predicting air-dodges for followups.

Blue_Bomber

Smash Cadet
Most of Melee's technical was to string together combos. I don't see many instances where, say, an L-cancel could be used for mindgames. Or crouch cancelling. It's all basically to land an attack, to make it string into other ones. Wavedashing was a kind of silly thing to remove... It was easy enough to do well if you kept one main. At that point the timing becomes muscle memory. I kinda miss it. :/

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Most of Melee's technical was to string together combos. I don't see many instances where, say, an L-cancel could be used for mindgames. Or crouch cancelling. It's all basically to land an attack, to make it string into other ones. Wavedashing was a kind of silly thing to remove... It was easy enough to do well if you kept one main. At that point the timing becomes muscle memory. I kinda miss it. :/
Um....no, not at all.

Just a list of some points then I'm going to bed and leaving this thread (since it isn't meant for this debate).

1. Dash-dancing is pretty much 100% for mindgames (baiting dodges, circling behind opponents, masking your approaches, etc).

2. Crouch-canceling is often used as a mindgame. Expecting that ledge-hop Fair from the edge? Crouch-cancel down-smash. The guy just got mindgamed. How about as an approach? Dash into the guy and crouch. There are many instances where if he attacks you (which he can easily fall for) he puts himself in a horrible position.

3. The ability to cancel a dash with a crouch is great for mindgames. Dash behind someone, crouch, reverse f-smash anyone? How about dash up to someone and start charging a down-smash. Occasionally the person will spot-dodge then eat your partially charged down-smash.

4. L-canceling is AMAZING for mindgames. It's really good for keeping pressure on your opponent. Like, keep attacking without actually meaning to attack, then suddenly close in with a real attack. You can't keep up that kind of pressure if you can't cancel your attacks. This is a perfect example of why Melee is so much more dynamic than Brawl - this added ability to effectively pressure with repeated attacks.

5. Even teching can be used for a mindgame. How about as Fox or Falco BAITING an edgeguard that you can easily edgetech (Peach down-smash is an easy one)? Forward-B out of your techjump and use it to combo into a finishing move (as in m2k vs. DSW from Fast 1). More obvious and practical uses of teching mindgames come with stuff like escaping a lot of things Falcon can pull off out of grabs.

This is only the tip of the iceberg. Almost every video I watch with a top player in it reveals some new creative way to mindgame people. (ex: watched some video with SS last week where he moonwalked through someone backwards to land a reverse grab) I could probably write a 100 page essay on mindgames involving combos and chases if I wanted (but obviously I'm not gonna do that).

Summary:
tech skill = flexibility
flexibility = more potential for mindgames

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
Jwn3d (3 stocks) v SK92 (3 stocks)
RJ (3 stocks) v SK92 (3 stocks)
Doron (3 stocks) v SK92 (3 stocks)
Zr0 (3 stocks) v SK92 (2 stocks)
Slick Rick (3 stocks) v SK92 (1 stock)
SK92 (1 stock)
The man. The legend. SK92.

Blue_Bomber

Smash Cadet
That's all very true... but I think you've misinterpreted me. I did say "Most" of Melee's technical is there to string together combos. But, then I guess it's all semantics.

However an argument about Brawl and Melee would be futile because the person who's arguing for Melee will always "win." The game had a lot more exploitable glitches than Brawl, and that makes the technical/professional application that much more dynamic/expandable.

I personally think that a mix of the two would be the ideal professional fighting game. Brawl's roster, Melee's speed. Brawl's ability to grab the edge backwards and be more lenient thereof, Melee's wavedashing off the edge backwards if you want to grab the ledge that way, then rolling back on for a successful and easier edgehog. Brawl's nonexistent Shield Drop Lag, Melee's Hitstun.

But I digress. Shouldn't we be getting back to the topic?

Top Bottom