• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Learn from SK92's Falco here.

J4pu

Smash Champion
OK I clearly need help, and you are the pro Falco who is active here so, SK92, what is the biggest thing that needs to change between friendlies and tournament play? I consider myself at the higher end of average in friendly play (lol like it matters what a nobody considers themself), but then when I play in tournament the abilities that I normally hold above my opponent in friendlies just seems to disappear.
short version: I'm normally decent but tend to suck in tournament play, without seeing videos why do you think this would happen? (and how do i fix it)
I could probably upload videos of friendlies but it seems kind of pointless since that's not where I have problems.

Mikey7

Smash Lord
OK I clearly need help, and you are the pro Falco who is active here so, SK92, what is the biggest thing that needs to change between friendlies and tournament play? I consider myself at the higher end of average in friendly play (lol like it matters what a nobody considers themself), but then when I play in tournament the abilities that I normally hold above my opponent in friendlies just seems to disappear.
short version: I'm normally decent but tend to suck in tournament play, without seeing videos why do you think this would happen? (and how do i fix it)
I could probably upload videos of friendlies but it seems kind of pointless since that's not where I have problems.
I had your exact problem. Its your mentality, you're nervous. My first tournament I choked in brackets and lost out in 2 games. I went to a tournament yesterday with a different mindset:
-don't EVER think you deserve a win even if its against a bowser or someone who uses dash attack constantly
-play your hardest no matter who you fight, never know when something can go wrong right? NEVER let up, keep pressure on (if thats your style) or play defensively (whatever your style is don't change it unless a matchup calls for it). Bottom line: play every person as if he or she is the number one ranked player for that character in your region.
-concentrate, its easy to lose focus with all the other TV's going
-remember its a game, fun comes first not winning
Needless to say I had alot more fun and placed alot better

J4pu

Smash Champion
Thanks for the ideas but I must say that of your advice, taking the match to seriously is the one I can see most in my tournament mindset, and other than making mistakes due to being nervous I don't see how this hurts your game-play

GMo

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I get nervous too.

I think it is the same with Poker (at least for me). When i got big hands I'd get all shakey which is a typical noob tell. After about 500 monster hands it just went away and I got more comfortable, no matter the amount of money on the line.

I hope I'll calm my nerves and play good smash. When I get farther through the brackets I am a lot more chill.

Mikey7

Smash Lord
Thanks for the ideas but I must say that of your advice, taking the match to seriously is the one I can see most in my tournament mindset, and other than making mistakes due to being nervous I don't see how this hurts your game-play
If I understood what you just posted (not that you have bad grammar or anything, I just don't really understand it completely) is that you are playing to win. If thats the case people who play to win should just pick MK, clearly your best choice.

But if you are saying you want to try to win I'm saying have fun first lol, if you want to win then you should be going MK, CPing Falco only when you feel like its going to be easier to win with Falco. I'm not discrediting Falco or any winning Falco player (because I think hes got what it takes to win, its just clear that if your main goal is winning then MK is your man). But if you then tell me, no I don't have fun as MK then you're playing for fun...ugh circle argument.

Nerves play a huge role, mistakes are costly.

J4pu

Smash Champion
Perhaps with some practice MK would be a more effective main for me, but Falco's playstyle just naturally fits me so much better, you may call it fun to use (and I do enjoy using it) but I consider it ease of use, since I don't know what I would do without lasers, and CG is just such an effective and easy 45+%.

Winning with Falco comes easier to me than winning with MK, not that I'm saying I couldn't do better with MK it just doesn't come as naturally.

All this is kinda off-topic from the question but that's the reason I play Falco.

I play brawl for fun, I play in tournaments to win.
I also happen to enjoy the competitive "do anything you have to" mindset.

Kasper!

Smash Lord
Yo sk92 can i face u (brawl fc plz) i was told at the tournament by a person called fuzzyness (who is one of the top brawlers in the uk) that i should try fighting you as u use falco too.

i really need to comfirm how good i am compared to a pro that i see on youtube ;)

OverLade

Smash Hero
Yo sk92 can i face u (brawl fc plz) i was told at the tournament by a person called fuzzyness (who is one of the top brawlers in the uk) that i should try fighting you as u use falco too.

i really need to comfirm how good i am compared to a pro that i see on youtube ;)
I hate seeing these kinds of posts >_>.Playing Falco dittos proves NOTHING.

SK92 is a great player, but anyone who can CG to spike would have a chance of beating him if they got a grab first. And even if you ban CG to spike, CG plus Gattling combo or Spike is still a free 50%+, which pretty much negates the whole concept of getting an early lead. Sure, you'll be able to tell SK92 is better than you, but the match wouldn't be a match of skill, it'd be a match of who was playing smarter at the time.

And it's Online to boot, where unless you have a good orange - yellow connection it's just a waste of time.

But w/e it's SK's decision not mine.

SK92

Smash Journeyman
well it seems that you choke under pressure. Under the spotlight you will always have lots of people watching you play while in a tournament. My advice is in tournament play try to do things that you never done before and give the crowd a show. My biggest crowd watching me was 300 plus at Axis Gaming on a big screen projector. In friendlies i don't really mess around, always play serious to get used to playing at that serious level.

SK92

Smash Journeyman

SK92 is a great player, but anyone who can CG to spike would have a chance of beating him if they got a grab first. And even if you ban CG to spike, CG plus Gattling combo or Spike is still a free 50%+, which pretty much negates the whole concept of getting an early lead. Sure, you'll be able to tell SK92 is better than you, but the match wouldn't be a match of skill, it'd be a match of who was playing smarter at the time.

And it's Online to boot, where unless you have a good orange - yellow connection it's just a waste of time.

falco dittos you can wall tech the spike before going below the stage. You are right about the whole playing smarter thing, but i never lost a falco ditto set so far, so i don't mind dittos.

wangston

Smash Lord
falco dittos you can wall tech the spike before going below the stage. You are right about the whole playing smarter thing, but i never lost a falco ditto set so far, so i don't mind dittos.
Wall teching aye. Are you talking about wall teching off all the stages like Smashville, bf, fd. Or are you just talking about Yoshi's island. I know how to tech but it would seem you would be to far away from the stage to tech. Unless you are DI towards the stage once you get dair'd and that puts you close enough to the stage to tech.

Kasper!

Smash Lord

i understand what u are talking about, i hate it when people do these type of posts too, however i usually tend to ask my opponent if i can face them out off respect than gloat about myself while asking (which is what many brawlers do and which is probably another reason why people hate these types of posts), i also agree that the person playing smarter at the time will succeed. LOL and yh sk92 no chaingrab to spike haha :chuckle:

sk92 i suggest that you show a video on this on ure youtube page showing how this is done because i really cant see how this is possible, if i was too take a guess then i would say DI towards the opponent after he does his final down grab and after the spike you wall tech but ima not sure.

oh yh and it will be a pleasure to face you

SK92

Smash Journeyman
i understand what u are talking about, i hate it when people do these type of posts too, however i usually tend to ask my opponent if i can face them out off respect than gloat about myself while asking (which is what many brawlers do and which is probably another reason why people hate these types of posts), i also agree that the person playing smarter at the time will succeed. LOL and yh sk92 no chaingrab to spike haha :chuckle:

sk92 i suggest that you show a video on this on ure youtube page showing how this is done because i really cant see how this is possible, if i was too take a guess then i would say DI towards the opponent after he does his final down grab and after the spike you wall tech but ima not sure.

oh yh and it will be a pleasure to face you

basically when you get spiked you smash di towards the stage and press L right when you get spiked and you don't take the ground on the stage, you tech the edge of the stage where you would edgeguard your opponent. Meaning you wall jump the edge of the stage which prevents you from being spiked.

Kasper!

Smash Lord
basically when you get spiked you smash di towards the stage and press L right when you get spiked and you don't take the ground on the stage, you tech the edge of the stage where you would edgeguard your opponent. Meaning you wall jump the edge of the stage which prevents you from being spiked.
:dizzy::confused::psycho: im not really a guy who knows all of the names of the techinical stuff so this is kind of baffling LOL :laugh:

A vid with how to do it on youtube would be much appreciated sk92, this would be the break that the falco board needs and probably people will start to like falco dittos like i do. ;)

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
...I did not know this.

SK, I've noticed you're big on shorthop airdodge -> fsmash. Something you do consciously, or does it just happen? Is it because people are so used to Falcos shorthop ->bair?

And I've noticed that you rarely ever use the shine, as a spacing tool, or anywhere, really. Just too slow?

Good luck with the SideB cancels.

:dizzy::confused::psycho: im not really a guy who knows all of the names of the techinical stuff so this is kind of baffling LOL :laugh:
When your opponent tries to stomp you into oblivion, mash the sticks towards the stage. The moment after (like... literally the moment after) you get stomped, hit L. Or R. Or whatever button you use as Shield. Your Falco will bounce off the wall like a ninja and save you a stock.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Well... That works if the chaingrab is not perfectly spaced, i guess. If you're at 30%, away from the stage, that the opponent buffers the Dash to Spike... That wouls surprise me if we could tech :s

(Just got eliminated today by an other falco, in a match that i was leading... Until these two chaingrab to death. (Well, after i picked Sheik so ^^).

Kasper!

Smash Lord
"When your opponent tries to stomp you into oblivion, mash the sticks towards the stage. The moment after (like... literally the moment after) you get stomped, hit L. Or R. Or whatever button you use as Shield. Your Falco will bounce off the wall like a ninja and save you a stock"

LOL bounce off like a ninja

ok jus wondering do u use both sticks or just one when using di towards the stage

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
"When your opponent tries to stomp you into oblivion, mash the sticks towards the stage. The moment after (like... literally the moment after) you get stomped, hit L. Or R. Or whatever button you use as Shield. Your Falco will bounce off the wall like a ninja and save you a stock"

ok jus wondering do u use both sticks or just one when using di towards the stage
I don't know enough about Brawl DI to feel comfortable really answering that, but I think that just the control stick would be fine, since you want all your DI going in one direction. Inputting the same direction on both sticks would be redundant, since the game can't read you as inputting the same direction twice on one frame. It would have to be control stick though, don't DI with just the c-stick.

Again, I'm not sure about this, so hopefully someone with deeper knowledge on the subject can confirm or de-confirm what I said.

comboking

Smash Master

just a random fun fact
do u think this will work as ike

also im entering a wifi tournament if i can should i go all ike and Falco even though i just started playn falco

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
just a random fun fact
do u think this will work as ike

also im entering a wifi tournament if i can should i go all ike and Falco even though i just started playn falco
>_> i hate playing falco in wifi.
actually, screw that. i hate wifi. period.

SK92

Smash Journeyman
I don't know enough about Brawl DI to feel comfortable really answering that, but I think that just the control stick would be fine, since you want all your DI going in one direction. Inputting the same direction on both sticks would be redundant, since the game can't read you as inputting the same direction twice on one frame. It would have to be control stick though, don't DI with just the c-stick.

Again, I'm not sure about this, so hopefully someone with deeper knowledge on the subject can confirm or de-confirm what I said.
no,no,no, u smash di towards the stage with the c stick and di normally towards the stage with the control stick and time l or r to wall tech the vertical part of the stage, mastering this wil make falco dittos change so much. I'm starting to practice this new teching technique and trust me it works.

OverLade

Smash Hero
no,no,no, u smash di towards the stage with the c stick and di normally towards the stage with the control stick and time l or r to wall tech the vertical part of the stage, mastering this wil make falco dittos change so much. I'm starting to practice this new teching technique and trust me it works.
This is extremely reassuring. I need to get with some friends so I can practice it.

And it'll make Falco dittos a lot less gay. Against someone who doesn't know how to do it, you'd have an incredible upper hand, almost a guranteed win, since you could CG to spike them without the same being doable to you.

A vid would be amazing though.

SK92

Smash Journeyman
ill go to my friends house this weekend and and make a video of me doing the "teching the vertical part of the edge of the stage to not get spiked to death."

SK92

Smash Journeyman
sk92, have you gone to any tournaments recently? and how did you do in them?
i go to the Las Vegas weeklies and i win every week, but the last major tournament i went to was Axis Gaming and i got 4th out of 303 people. My next major tournament is in sanfrancisco on the 20-21st of December.

CO18

Smash Hero
Does this work with every character? lol

PottyJokes

Smash Apprentice
lol, i'm the one that showed sk92 that stage tech trick, you smash DI the dair towards the stage and tech with l/r.

PottyJokes

Smash Apprentice
btw, i could constantly do it online AND offline, it works 100% of the time, just as long as you time the tech correctly.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I watched you vs Snake (lol forgot his name) and that first, and the start of second stock, were just incredible.

-Indecredible-

I actually learned a lot from you :) especially about CG's, and approaching. (My Falco is horrid at approaching)

Random main ftw.

Top Bottom