• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

StormC

Smash Hero
People have questioned whether it would look good for K. Rool to pull a big weapon like that out of thin air for a few moves. I certainly think it would look alright, especially when we have whole different characters summoned for other characters' specials. It wouldn't look too bad for him to carry around all the time either, but I'd kind of like him to be more mobile in the animations he can do than he'd be while holding it.
If Snake can pull out an entire armory out of hammerspace, K. Rool is fine.

Personally I don't really want him lugging around the blunderbuss for several reasons:

-It'd clash fairly strongly with the King look.
-K. Rool should be a fully mobile, animated character with his arms free.
-The blunderbuss is simply one of many K. Rool 's tools and shouldn't be the primary thing people think of when they think of him.

Last edited:

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Reminds me of how people say K. Rool could be a Dedede clone...yeah, if you want to have him defy reason and slam a breakable metal firearm nozzle to the ground, as opposed to a hammer designed expressly for that purpose.

People have questioned whether it would look good for K. Rool to pull a big weapon like that out of thin air for a few moves. I certainly think it would look alright, especially when we have whole different characters summoned for other characters' specials. It wouldn't look too bad for him to carry around all the time either, but I'd kind of like him to be more mobile in the animations he can do than he'd be while holding it.
I mean Wario just materializes a motorcycle out of thin air and both Links take out a bunch of stuff. Game & Watch's moveset is based off of him using random stuff as is Villager's. It shouldn't be a problem for K. Rool to take out his blunderbuss, Snake took out a missile launcher and a mortar and it didn't look weird

StormC

Smash Hero
Similarly, I'm not a huge fan of Robin carrying around the tome for idle animations; it looks too busy, especially with the sword in the other hand.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If Snake can pull out an entire armory out of hammerspace, K. Rool is fine.

Personally I don't really want him lugging around the blunderbuss for several reasons:

-It'd clash fairly strongly with the King look.
-K. Rool should be a fully mobile, animated character with his arms free.
-The blunderbuss is simply one of many K. Rool 's tools and shouldn't be the primary thing people think of when they think of him.
Agreed with all the points, but with regard to it clashing with his King model, wouldn't that problem persist no matter how long he's using it? (I really hope Sakurai and co. don't exclude the blunderbuss entirely for that very reason)

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Agreed with all the points, but with regard to it clashing with his King model, wouldn't that problem persist no matter how long he's using it? (I really hope Sakurai and co. don't exclude the blunderbuss entirely for that very reason)
The helipack would also clash with the King outfit but its not like he would have it out ALL of the time. I think the same applies for the Blunderbuss.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I'd like to think that the cape would "vanish" when the helipack is in use, and then reappear when the move is done, kind of like how Meta Knight's cape vanishes when his wings appear, and the cape reappears when Meta Knight ceases flying.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Makes sense.
I say that because, I've yet to see a K. Rool moveset in recent memory (I beg much pardons of those who read this who put up a moveset fairly recently that doesn't include the helipack) that doesn't include the helipack. It's basically all the representation DKC3 will ever have and it makes for a very great and versatile recovery move, and possibly rocking a disjointed hitbox at the top to defend against aerial attacks (But it won't do **** against a Mario Fair or Charizard Flare Blitz), and would essentially act like Snake's recovery. It would be weird to have the King cape clip like hell with the helipack.

God damn, everytime I think of my own moveset or see other movesets for K. Rool and the massive demand for him to be a Heavy Trap/Projectile character, Snake is by far the closest character that comes to mind. With him unlikely to come back thanks to the Konami/Kojima business, K. Rool could be a spiritual successor to Snake in some regard (and I mean this in no offense to Snake's fans, nor wish for Snake to not be included).

StormC

Smash Hero
It'd be much less jarring for K. Rool to only bring it out for a move than to carry it around 100% of the time.

I don't think it's a reason for Sakurai to exclude it though, Snake uses weapons primarily from MGS1 but has his MGS2 design, Mega Man has moves that aren't from the NES games, Wario uses his Wario Ware bike in his overalls, etc.

As for the Helipack, I've always seen him carrying it over his head... though people might draw comparisons too strongly. :snake: It should be fine materializing on his back though, a la Diddy. If Ganondorf can wear the jetpack item over his cape, so can K. Rool.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
That reminds me...what does Diddy look like when using his jetpack when he has the jetpack item?

*breaks out N3DSXL to test*

It just hides the Rocket Belt item when Diddy uses his barrel jetpack, and then the Rocket Belt reappears once Diddy finishes his Up Special move. Same can be applied to K. Rool's hypothetical helipack, so it's a non issue.

Edit: Tested Ganondorf with Rocket Belt and the cape doesn't even clip through it.

Again, non issue.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I say that because, I've yet to see a K. Rool moveset in recent memory (I beg much pardons of those who read this who put up a moveset fairly recently that doesn't include the helipack) that doesn't include the helipack. It's basically all the representation DKC3 will ever have and it makes for a very great and versatile recovery move, and possibly rocking a disjointed hitbox at the top to defend against aerial attacks
I would like the Electricity pod things as a down B since
1. It gives DKC3 more representation
2. I think it'd be a unique Down B

I mean if the King persona has the default look and the krown toss, the Kaptain persona would have the Blunderbuss and possibly grabs, the K. Roolenstein persona can have the Helipak and the Elektricity Pods.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I would like the Electricity pod things as a down B since
1. It gives DKC3 more representation
2. I think it'd be a unique Down B

I mean if the King persona has the default look and the krown toss, the Kaptain persona would have the Blunderbuss and possibly grabs, the K. Roolenstein persona can have the Helipak and the Elektricity Pods.
The hypothetical Rool moveset I had included Electrical Diodes as the Down Special. The ability to lay down 3 in quick succession (even in the air, even using the helipack), and the diodes must land on the ground to activate. Touching them does light damage, but if the diodes are close enough, they will arc lightning between them for bigger damage, but only within a certain range and if they have line of sight, giving the "Heavy Trap Character" an actual trap.

:GCB: = Blunderbuss
:GCU::GCB: = Helipack
:GCR::GCB: = Crown Toss
:GCD::GCB: = Electrical Diodes

I think that's a solid mix of moves that would define KRool as a projectile and trap based character

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I read that as dildos.

I still like the shockwave ground pound from DK64 as his Down B, but I know not everyone's a fan of that move.
Ho boy, bad typo. I will fix immediately.

But I think the shockwave ground pound would feel like it's taking away from the other moves KRool is trying to establish.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
And once again, the dilemma with K. Rool proves not to be "what can he do?" but "how can we fit the best of what he can do in a limited number of inputs?"

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
And once again, the dilemma with K. Rool proves not to be "what can he do?" but "how can we fit the best of what he can do in a limited number of inputs?"
That's a pretty good situation for a character to be in, really. :laugh: I'm sure that it would be an unmissable point for Sakurai and his team, too, fond of research and little details as they are.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I like it too since its represents DK64 but :4bowser::4dedede::4yoshi: already have a butt stomp (Luigi kinda has one but its just a down throw)
Dedede's isn't a butt stomp and it's part of his recovery so it's fairly different.

What kind of recovery would you guys see the Helipack having? I imagine it being like DK's: more horizontal than vertical.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Dedede's isn't a butt stomp and it's part of his recovery so it's fairly different.

What kind of recovery would you guys see the Helipack having? I imagine it being like DK's: more horizontal than vertical.
I guess, still kinda slamming down with the lower part of his body.

I imagine better horizontal than vertical as well.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Ho boy, bad typo. I will fix immediately.

But I think the shockwave ground pound would feel like it's taking away from the other moves KRool is trying to establish.
I agree, especially because Bowser has 2 downward slams in this game instead of just 1. Down B - Butt Slam, and Down A - Shell Slam. Not sure why he has 2 but wtv.

Haha, its funny we are talking about Snake. I think K. Rools Up B - Helipack would be EXACTLY like Snake's Up B - Cypher :D

EDIT: Thanks for fixing the double-post.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master

Vertical, more so than horizontal. Charizard specializes in horizontal recovery more than vertical, and K. Rool can be the inverse of that. If it was mostly horizontal it would feel like it was ripping off DK. With Snake gone, a vertical flying helipack would essentially be that move reborn. Ideally he would have the same level of control over it as Villager's Balloon Fight although not as fast and a shorter duration, but quick vertical ascension would be best.

Also, let K. Rool be able to cancel it early. This way, not only can it be used to attack (somewhat) if there is a disjointed hitbox on the propellers, but allow K. Rool to quickly ascend platforms this way.

There's no shame in having K. Rool be our first high tier heavyweight. Which really, having a heavy that doesn't rely entirely on his strength and slowness like all the others might stand a chance against the zippy, feather-weight, combo-happy high tier characters right now.

Edit: What I DO NOT want to see? K. Rool being stupidly slow with one OHKO to "make up for it". I am so sick of that with heavies.

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Kinda like Beat (Mega Man's custom) but the Rotors do damage.

@ dangeraaron10 dangeraaron10 I don't think that up b cancel is gonna work seeing Sakurai's point of view of it.

We were hoping Mewtwo was going to do it, he didn't.
Mega Man's doesn't help to Much because his falling speed is too fast.
Olimars still sends him to his helpless state when canceling.

R.O.B and Sonic's are the only ones who help pretty well.

Last edited:

Sir_Killz

Smash Cadet

Ya I feel that It shouldn't be a fantastic recover considering his size. You put it a good way, I see it like DKs with maybe a slight bit more vertical movement.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Vertical, more so than horizontal. Charizard specializes in horizontal recovery more than vertical, and K. Rool can be the inverse of that. If it was mostly horizontal it would feel like it was ripping off DK. With Snake gone, a vertical flying helipack would essentially be that move reborn. Ideally he would have the same level of control over it as Villager's Balloon Fight although not as fast and a shorter duration, but quick vertical ascension would be best.

Also, let K. Rool be able to cancel it early. This way, not only can it be used to attack (somewhat) if there is a disjointed hitbox on the propellers, but allow K. Rool to quickly ascend platforms this way.

There's no shame in having K. Rool be our first high tier heavyweight. Which really, having a heavy that doesn't rely entirely on his strength and slowness like all the others might stand a chance against the zippy, feather-weight, combo-happy high tier characters right now.
And when he cancels OR gets knocked out of the helipack, he can flap his arms like a bird while looking at the screen as hes going down like DKC 3! That would be great!

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Ya I feel that It shouldn't be a fantastic recover considering his size. You put it a good way, I see it like DKs with maybe a slight bit more vertical movement.
I freakin hate DK's recovery. A heavy character with a poor recovery, GREAT FREAKING IDEA! Hopefully, King K. Rool would have a decent vertical recovery move.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

Edit: What I DO NOT want to see? K. Rool being stupidly slow with one OHKO to "make up for it". I am so sick of that with heavies.
Preach. Like, this needs to go in a ballot verbatim to hammer the point home.

Sir_Killz

Smash Cadet
I freakin hate DK's recovery. A heavy character with a poor recovery, GREAT FREAKING IDEA! Hopefully, King K. Rool would have a decent vertical recovery move.
Not really my ideas, more of @ StormC StormC and I just gave a little input. I would just like to see it be a little bit more vertical than DKs since his is a little hard to use.

StormC

Smash Hero
If K. Rool got revealed and his Helipack did indeed function very similarly to Snake's, I fear that + his general niche as a heavyweight with a trap/projectile playstyle would make people cry "he replaced Snake!" I personally wouldn't mind, but it would probably kill Snake's chances in a lot of people's minds.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Being a wee bit harder to KO shouldn't force you to have crappy recovery (See DK's spin and Charziard's Fly (even if he kinda makes up for it with Flare Blitz)). The reason Snake, as heavy as he was, was still so good because of his numerous options and a decent recovery despite his weight.

If K. Rool got revealed and his Helipack did indeed function very similarly to Snake's, I fear that + his general niche as a heavyweight with a trap/projectile playstyle would make people cry "he replaced Snake!" I personally wouldn't mind, but it would probably kill Snake's chances in a lot of people's minds.
If Kojima not liking Konami, Kojima's studio disbanding, or Konami just in general losing its mind not hammer home Snake's chances are low, then nothing will. I'd rather have a spiritual successor to Snake (THAT ISN'T THAT CHEESEFEST THAT IS VILLAGER) than having nothing at all.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I wouldn't mind as well, but it would be weird if his recovery was as good as Snake's

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I wouldn't mind as well, but it would be weird if his recovery was as good as Snake's

And having less than okay recovery is better? Cause Snake's up B wasn't always the greatest in terms of recovery since the path it took was incredibly linear.

Maybe the copter should be similar to Pit's recovery from Brawl.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Being a wee bit harder to KO shouldn't force you to have crappy recovery (See DK's spin and Charziard's Fly (even if he kinda makes up for it with Flare Blitz)). The reason Snake, as heavy as he was, was still so good because of his numerous options and a decent recovery despite his weight.
I really like jumping around and fighting in the air as basically everyone (I even do this with Little Mac to a lesser extent). DK's recovery kinda sucks which is why I kind of avoid playing him.

And having less than okay recovery is better? Cause Snake's up B wasn't always the greatest in terms of recovery since the path it took was incredibly linear.

Maybe the copter should be similar to Pit's recovery from Brawl.
Well no, I was expecting K Rool's recovery to be okay in terms of verticalness and very good with horizontal recovery.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I really like jumping around and fighting in the air as basically everyone (I even do this with Little Mac to a lesser extent). DK's recovery kinda sucks which is why I kind of avoid playing him.

Well no, I was expecting K Rool's recovery to be okay in terms of verticalness and very good with horizontal recovery.
that makes way more sense.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
mimicing @ SuperNintendoKid SuperNintendoKid I'd love to see K. Rool's Helipack function like Pit's Recovery in Brawl with a free range of motion, or Villager's Up Special (though not as fast and not as long of a duration)

StormC

Smash Hero
I would like the Helipack to do damage because there's way too many newcomer recoveries that don't.

Not counting customs, it's only :4wiifit::4littlemac::4greninja::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword::4robinm::4lucina::4shulk::4ryu: and arguably :4bowserjr:.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I would like the Helipack to do damage because there's way too many newcomer recoveries that don't.

Not counting customs, it's only :4wiifit::4littlemac::4greninja::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword::4robinm::4lucina::4shulk::4ryu: and arguably :4bowserjr:.
:4pacman: does damage.

Top Bottom