• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
i have a question wich character is more important King k. Rool or Dixie Kong or Donkey Kong jr.?
Definitely not DK Jr. DK Jr. was only important in the original DK Jr. games, and that was it. He's made intermittent appearances since as cameos, but nothing more.

King K. Rool over Dixie due to him being the main antagonist. Dixie is the female lead of the series, but K. Rool overall tends to overshadow Dixie in importance in most of his roles. The only times where Dixie has been "more" important than K. Rool are in DKC2-3, because she's one of the main playable characters in each (the main character in DKC3).

The only thing that puts Dixie ahead of K. Rool in some people's eyes is that Dixie came back first. Otherwise, K. Rool definitely takes precedence over Dixie, but she's very close behind K. Rool. Dixie is more comparable to Cranky than K. Rool importance-wise, since Cranky dates back to the original game. As a whole, though, Cranky's not as popular of a pick as Dixie/K. Rool because Cranky was never playable in the platforming games until TF, and the only other times were in spinoff cameo appearances (in which he wasn't playable that often).

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
i have a question wich character is more important King k. Rool or Dixie Kong or Donkey Kong jr.?
DK Jr is the young form of the current DK (Country onwards) with the old DK (From the arcade game) being Cranky Kong.
K Rool is the main antagonist whilst Dixie is a sidekick (and Diddy's girlfriend)

I'd say K Rool > Dixie > DK Jr on the grounds that DK Jr would be unnecessary and my opinion being Main Antagonist > Sidekick

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
DK Jr is the young form of the current DK (Country onwards) with the old DK (From the arcade game) being Cranky Kong.
K Rool is the main antagonist whilst Dixie is a sidekick (and Diddy's girlfriend)

I'd say K Rool > Dixie > DK Jr on the grounds that DK Jr would be unnecessary and my opinion being Main Antagonist > Sidekick
Technically, Dixie has been a main character once.

As for DK Jr., Nintendo identifies him and DK as two separate characters, and its -never- been clarified if the current DK is DK Jr. Its speculated, but its never really been stated, and recently Nintendo even ignores the fact that Cranky was supposed to be the original DK as well, treating him like a new character (from the classic DK I mean).

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
K. Rool is the recurring antagonist, Dixie is a supporting hero (arguably the tritagonist after DK and Diddy, respectively), and Junior hasn't done anything in years.

It's up to interpretation, really, though I'd argue K. Rool is more important to the series in terms of recurring prominence and narrative role.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
K. Rool is the recurring antagonist, Dixie is a supporting hero (arguably the tritagonist after DK and Diddy, respectively), and Junior hasn't done anything in years.

It's up to interpretation, really, though I'd argue K. Rool is more important to the series in terms of recurring prominence and narrative role.
It could be argued that Dixie is about as prominent as K. Rool, but Dixie has had far less storyline roles than Dixie has. In general, they've got about the same number of games, though Dixie has one less "main" game appearance (she wasn't in either DK64 or DKC). At the same time, her being the star of one of those games kinda makes up for the lack of appearances, and Dixie had no story role in the pegboard games, either.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
It could be argued that Dixie is about as prominent as K. Rool, but Dixie has had far less storyline roles than Dixie has. In general, they've got about the same number of games, though Dixie has one less "main" game appearance (she wasn't in either DK64 or DKC). At the same time, her being the star of one of those games kinda makes up for the lack of appearances, and Dixie had no story role in the pegboard games, either.
Agreed.

It depends on what perspective it's being addressed from, really. In terms of narrative and role in the plot, I'd say K. Rool, since he's usually the catalyst for the events of the games, and has had more of a major story role than Dixie (whose only really important plot roles are Country 2 and Country 3).

In terms of prominence in the main cast, well, that's hardly fair to judge, since Dixie is a playable character and all. That'd be like saying Rosalina is more important than Bowser because you can't play as Bowser in most games.

Either way, I think it's all up in the air and not entirely necessary to determine which one is more important, as they've both got their good points. But if I had to decide, yeah, I'd argue it's K. Rool.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
in my opinion i feel donkey jr. is the more important to nintendo but not his chances in super smash.
becuase he is donkey kong son just like bowser jr. he was a big part of nintendo in the 80s he is also a part of the first nintendo characters (like luigi and little mac) and look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1KrrnBJ0Vs he even get his own cartoon and he still appear in new games (as a cameo mostly but dixie kong and king k. rool doesnt appear in too many games like donkey kong jr. did wich means nintendo still care about him)
but i dont think he have a good chance to be in smash (i am surprised there isnt a thread about donkey kong jr. in smashboards)

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
in my opinion i feel donkey jr. is the more important to nintendo but not his chances in super smash.
becuase he is donkey kong son just like bowser jr. he was a big part of nintendo in the 80s he is also a part of the first nintendo characters (like luigi and little mac) and look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1KrrnBJ0Vs he even get his own cartoon and he still appear in new games (as a cameo mostly but dixie kong and king k. rool doesnt appear in too many games like donkey kong jr. did wich means nintendo still care about him)
but i dont think he have a good chance to be in smash (i am surprised there isnt a thread about donkey kong jr. in smashboards)
If being family was important Cranky would be playable

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
cranky kong isnt the original donkey kong and i was just talking about how dk jr. was important to nintendo but not in super smash
"I was throwing barrels and whisking off maidens seven days a week, I was! None of this lazing around on a beach!"

Certainly sounds like the original Donkey Kong to me.

I'm pretty much in agreement with @ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman regarding those importance standings. . .once K. Rool comes back, the stance that K. Rool > Dixie will be far less contentious than it is now.

Of course, DK Jr. would vault ahead of those two if you interpret the character as the modern DK. That's an individual thing, though.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
As a character? Mario Tennis for the N64. Apparently he was added because Nintendo/Camelot weren't sure if they could use Diddy.

His most recent appearance is a cameo in TF's Aqueduct Assault.
Sooo...
What's his argument again?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
On the subject of DK Jr., certain essay-writers have compared K. Rool to DK Jr. on the grounds that "they are both products of a certain era of DK's history who have slowly been retired until they only appear in Mario spin-offs."

I don't think it's as faulty as the "K. Rool = Geno" comparison, but it's still far from perfect IMO. Thoughts?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
On the subject of DK Jr., certain essay-writers have compared K. Rool to DK Jr. on the grounds that "they are both products of a certain era of DK's history who have slowly been retired until they only appear in Mario spin-offs."

I don't think it's as faulty as the "K. Rool = Geno" comparison, but it's still far from perfect IMO. Thoughts?
A major difference is that DK Jr. comes from a few spinoff arcade titles whereas K. Rool comes from what is wildly considered to be the golden days of the franchise. A more accurate comparison would be to the Zelda franchise, Ganondorf has been absent for many years, disregarding remakes and spinoffs, yet he's still very much the antagonist just as well as the Kremling King.

It's only a matter of time before the Kremling Krew makes a comeback (with high hopes thanks to Retro).

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Yeah, comparing K. Rool to Ganondorf is a much more apt analogy. The only real difference is that 'Dorf has been a recurring character in Smash and spin-off games, so his absence isn't as distinctly noticed.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Speaking of Ganondorf, how would you react if there was a human version of K. Rool as the new villain in DKC.
Well, considering there are no humans in the Donkey Kong series, it'd be a bit bizarre.

What would a human version of K. Rool look like I wonder?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Speaking of Ganondorf, how would you react if there was a human version of K. Rool as the new villain in DKC.
That wouldn't make any sense whatsoever.
Well, considering there are no humans in the Donkey Kong series, it'd be a bit bizarre.

Terrible, terrible dA fanart.

Though there are humans in the series, Mario and Pauline in the original and Mario and Link in DKC2.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Though there are humans in the series, Mario and Pauline in the original and Mario and Link in DKC2.
Fair point. Let me revise my thesis statement:

There are no recurring humans in or around DK Island that we are aware of who maintain that particular area as their permanent domicile.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion

Unless you count Mario from the original Donkey Kong arcade games.

Answer from the artists on Devianart:
k. rool humanized.png

yarrrrgh_by_ribbedebie-d49j3gb.png.jpg

Justin Little

Smash Ace
The only human I want to see in the DKU is Stanley the Bugman. I miss that guy. And maybe bring back Mario's villainous ways which, for many DK fans, is his real role.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
The only human I want to see in the DKU is Stanley the Bugman. I miss that guy. And maybe bring back Mario's villainous ways which, for many DK fans, is his real role.
Nah, Mario learned his lesson in DK Jr., it's obvious he was made to be one of the good guys. Besides, one could say he kidnapped DK in that game as payback for kidnapping Pauline in the original DK game.

Don't know too much about Stanley except that he was Mario's replacement in the DK arcade sequels but I'd be ok with him being in I suppose just as long as he's there to help the Kongs only. All in all though I'm fine with all the characters being animal based.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
"I was throwing barrels and whisking off maidens seven days a week, I was! None of this lazing around on a beach!"

Certainly sounds like the original Donkey Kong to me.

I'm pretty much in agreement with @ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman regarding those importance standings. . .once K. Rool comes back, the stance that K. Rool > Dixie will be far less contentious than it is now.

Of course, DK Jr. would vault ahead of those two if you interpret the character as the modern DK. That's an individual thing, though.
thats wierd but how would cranky kong be the original dk but mario doesnt get white mustache now after all these years at same time donkey kong can still see dk jr. while dk jr. now is:4dk: that we have now???

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
thats wierd but how would cranky kong be the original dk but mario doesnt get white mustache now after all these years at same time donkey kong can still see dk jr. while dk jr. now is:4dk: that we have now???
Because plot.

It's not really supposed to be looked too deeply into. Mario has a different house and a different personality in every game, the Mushroom Kingdom is just said to have "mysterious properties" that ensures everything shifts and changes as it needs to.

Miyamoto has also said that he imagines Mario and friends to be actors who play a different role in every game. The reasons things shift and change is because the story shifts and changes, too, so they play a different roles in those games.

Alternative hypothesis: Mario is immortal and can't age.

EDIT: What @ Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen said.

Last edited:

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
After playing through the DKC games on GBA, I can honestly say Kaptain is the toughest fight.

Also Toxic Tower took forever to beat! Its really impressive people can speedrun the game in 2 hours.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I had the most struggles beating Baron, cause of lack of motivation. DKC3 in my youth was less enjoyable than the other games cause in DKC and DKC2 I only used Diddy. Exclusively. So I never really bothered to complete DKC3 for 100% till the GBA version. Kiddy kinda played more like Diddy than Dixie, so in the SNES version I used him more, but I used Dixie exclusively in the GBA version due to getting far more appriciation for the character, and it being her game. Truth to be told, I'll still forever keep picking Diddy if I can, that's why am kind of bothered with the DKCR tag team mechanic. Had the most fun with the game when my friend and I (who I also play Smash with btw- as he owns a Wii U and I don't) played it multiplayer, and he played as DK and I as Diddy. I think that that moment was the most fun I ever had with a video game (might be due to certain herbs though :laugh: ) untill now with Smash Wii U. So yeah, I love both Smash and DKC in a summary.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Lets assume DK Sr. was about 40 years old in the Arcade Donkey Kong. And Mario was about 25. DK Jr. might've been as old as 10? He certainly looks younger than Diddy, who is older, but buffer. He makes ideal sence to be the current Donkey Kong, who could be 25 now, and Mario being 40, Cranky being 55? Or DK Sr. could be even older in the Arcade...? Anyway who cares, it has already been decided since 1994 right? :rolleyes:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Apes have shorter lifespans than humans, plus plot.

Last edited:

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
I think the Mario-Universe games really don't have any timeline, it is what it is. Nothing more.
And Cranky Kong is a time traveler, he isn't Donkey Kong's grandfather, he is Donkey Kong himself!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
A major difference is that DK Jr. comes from a few spinoff arcade titles whereas K. Rool comes from what is wildly considered to be the golden days of the franchise. A more accurate comparison would be to the Zelda franchise, Ganondorf has been absent for many years, disregarding remakes and spinoffs, yet he's still very much the antagonist just as well as the Kremling King.

It's only a matter of time before the Kremling Krew makes a comeback (with high hopes thanks to Retro).
The other difference that came to my mind was that DK Jr. was flat-out replaced by a new character in Diddy when Rare's redesign for the character was deemed too far from the original, and only got used later on in Tennis when Camelot wasn't sure who owned Diddy. Since K. Rool, there's never been a new villain or enemy group to usurp his role, allowing him to keep the title by default. That's something that I don't think will change anytime soon, especially not if he makes even just one more appearance.

Top Bottom