• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
To the Europeans who get Returns, does it allow you to use the Wii U gamepad? I am going to confess something, I DESPISE Returns' controls.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
To the Europeans who get Returns, does it allow you to use the Wii U gamepad? I am going to confess something, I DESPISE Returns' controls.
The gamepad can only be used with games that were compatible with the Classic Controller.
And I don't think DKCR used it but then again I haven't played it in years.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
I think the biggest problem plaguing Smash stages in general is that the devs want to use stages that fit the "spirit" of the series. And just like bootstrapped theme songs like "DK Island Swing" and "Brinstar" and "Green Greens," the first stage of a game usually encompasses this feel pretty well.

The big problem comes when they start porting the old stages up at the same time. We've had our spirit of the game stage, and we've still got it. Now break out and explore the possibilities more!

Of course, this gives Metroid no excuses, seeing as how 5 out of 6 stages have all had a magma/fire theme to them, when all but two are ostensibly different places.

Really, they spend more time experimenting with "gimmicks" for the stages, and don't seem realize that we like the themes, layouts, and atmospheres of the arenas far more than we like barrels launching people away from the action, or Ridley coming in to not be playable, or the like.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think the biggest problem plaguing Smash stages in general is that the devs want to use stages that fit the "spirit" of the series. And just like bootstrapped theme songs like "DK Island Swing" and "Brinstar" and "Green Greens," the first stage of a game usually encompasses this feel pretty well.

The big problem comes when they start porting the old stages up at the same time. We've had our spirit of the game stage, and we've still got it. Now break out and explore the possibilities more!

Of course, this gives Metroid no excuses, seeing as how 5 out of 6 stages have all had a magma/fire theme to them, when all but two are ostensibly different places.

Really, they spend more time experimenting with "gimmicks" for the stages, and don't seem realize that we like the themes, layouts, and atmospheres of the arenas far more than we like barrels launching people away from the action, or Ridley coming in to not be playable, or the like.
Uh, Metroid is easily as badly represented as DK, although DK is worse, at least they corrected themselves with one of the tracks!

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
My problems with stages in Smash Bros in general.

- Too many pointless gimmicks that would ruin an otherwise fun stage (Yellow Devil and Ridley in Wily Castle and Pyrosphere respectively or the Barrels and crumbling stage in Jungle Hijinx). I don't want to go Omega mode for every stage I'd like to play on but don't because of dumb stage gimmick number 2401.

- Some series have more stage variety than others (Kirby has an Airship, Grassy plains, GCO and the Fountain of Dreams as opposed to say Metroid or DK with only Lava/Acid areas with the one Spaceship or Jungle Levels with the one construction site respectively). Metroid is more than Fire/Acid and Spaceships. Dark Aether, Phendrana Drifts, Phazon Mines, Chozo Ruins etc.

- Some have glaring inaccuracies about them as opposed to others (Gaur Plain could be a paragraph of muck ups whilst Pyrosphere has brilliant detail to after the Ridley battle in Other M with the broken walls). It just troubles me to see the dedication to detail in some stages is far better than others.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Personally, and I say this a lot, but I have never found Ridley to be that obstructive. I mean, really, the stage would basically be the same in Omega mode without him, it'd just be smaller. He's a fun boss, though it does suck he's not playable.

That being said, **** Yellow Devil. He is goddamn annoying.

EDIT: At least there's incentive to attack Ridley and if you hit him enough, he's actually stunned.. You get a KO in time battles AND he fights for you.
Yellow Devil just explodes when he's killed, takes up literally the entire stage when he's changing sides, and then when you actually manage to kill him, he shows up five seconds later to be goddamn annoying some more.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Personally, and I say this a lot, but I have never found Ridley to be that obstructive. I mean, really, the stage would basically be the same in Omega mode without him, it'd just be smaller. He's a fun boss, though it does suck he's not playable.

Correction, Ridley is the only competent boss hazard as he can actually rack up KO-S, Yellow Devil doesn't deal the damage nor does he have the health in MM1, Dark Emperor does NOTHING, Flying Men are light af, Nabbit's only attack can be escaped from, Metal Face does nothing but taunt you, virusses went unused. K.Rool not being a boss is the best thing for him

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Ridley's one of the things that can throw the match in his "temporary owner's" favour as he's a second fighter (like the Flying Man on Magicant) that can earn points for whoever's on his side. Plus there's the Graham units, Zeroes and Joulions as well. At least it isn't GCO levels of terrible though.

Correction, Ridley is the only competent boss hazard as he can actually rack up KO-S, Yellow Devil doesn't deal the damage nor does he have the health in MM1, Dark Emperor does NOTHING, Flying Men are light af, Nabbit's only attack can be escaped from, Metal Face does nothing but taunt you, virusses went unused. K.Rool not being a boss is the best thing for him
And yet I prefer Metal Face over all stage bosses just because of his taunts (especially the ones aimed at Shulk) even if they do spoil the fact that Face Mechon speak. Plus he's on a decently sized stage so he isn't all too intrusive (despite him being quite relentless in attacking in Xenoblade).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Ridley's one of the things that can throw the match in his "temporary owner's" favour as he's a second fighter (like the Flying Man on Magicant) that can earn points for whoever's on his side. Plus there's the Graham units, Zeroes and Joulions as well. At least it isn't GCO levels of terrible though.

And yet I prefer Metal Face over all stage bosses just because of his taunts (especially the ones aimed at Shulk) even if they do spoil the fact that Face Mechon speak. Plus he's on a decently sized stage so he isn't all too intrusive (despite him being quite relentless in attacking in Xenoblade).
Now we need Metal Face taunts for K.Rool

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I actually have grown to like Great Cave Offensive too.
Now if there's a "big" stage I can't stand, it's Palutena's Temple.
Maybe I just don't play the stage enough. As it stands though, I've never had an issue with it.
Anyway, I don't remember if it was you that said it, but I agree that Jungle Hijynx is over-saturated with gimmicks.
I don't like the fact that the front half of the stage disappears...

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I actually have grown to like Great Cave Offensive too.
Now if there's a "big" stage I can't stand, it's Palutena's Temple.

Maybe I just don't play the stage enough. As it stands though, I've never had an issue with it.
Anyway, I don't remember if it was you that said it, but I agree that Jungle Hijynx is over-saturated with gimmicks.
I don't like the fact that the front half of the stage disappears...shouldn't that be the background?
BOTH halves of the stage collapse. The front collapses more often, but both do.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Both the Yellow Devil and Ridley were pretty poor mechanics IMO, the stages aren't big enough for the amount of activity they bring to the stage and they force you to pay much more attention then necessary to them unless you want to lose. Metal Face is probably the best of them because he's on a stage big enough to allow for him to participate without interfering too much with the other players.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Both the Yellow Devil and Ridley were pretty poor mechanics IMO, the stages aren't big enough for the amount of activity they bring to the stage and they force you to pay much more attention then necessary to them unless you want to lose. Metal Face is probably the best of them because he's on a stage big enough to allow for him to participate without interfering too much with the other players.
However, Metal Face only attacks those close to him, and he doesn't move

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
If K. Rool was added as a DLC boss, would we consider that a step forward or a step back, overall?

On the one hand, He'll have a significant appearance again. On the other, he's been kicked upstairs with you-know-who.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Step back, if I have to get another character I want to not be playable, I at least want them to be NPC's at launch
If K. Rool was added as a DLC boss, would we consider that a step forward or a step back, overall?

On the one hand, He'll have a significant appearance again. On the other, he's been kicked upstairs with you-know-who.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Depends on how he's treated as a boss and how well he acts as one.
Ridley and YD are far too intrusive and Metal Face can talk all he wants. Because those words will be his last!
Flying Man was terrible in every way and Dark Emperor basically did nothing.

But I can almost guarantee it'd be a step back for K Rool to be a boss given the track record with them not being above decent.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I wonder whether bosses would be added as DLC, period, when they probably take a bit of effort to design and when fans don't really care about them at best, and actively dislike them in many cases.

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman

We're getting there. (I just chose JPG for file size reasons. It'll look nicer when I'm done.)

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I honestly think that barring a new boss rush mode, bosses would mandate new stages just to house them. Impractical, in my opinion.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
As far as stage bosses go, I don't mind Ridley because at least he can help you out after you beat him up a bit, Yellow Devil however? yeah, I make sure to play that stage NOT on regular mode. I have'nt played the Xenoblade stage long enough to see Metal face do anything so I got nothing there. Nabbit's probably the second most annoying but he's easy to get rid of if you can dodge his bag attack on time. Regarding K. Rool, I would much prefer if he was'nt a dlc stage boss then it'd be a huge step back, at least for me anyway.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Reminds me of when that one press release after the 50 Facts Direct said something to the tune of "Many fans asked for Ridley, so they now get their wish, as he becomes a boss you can play with!" What a kick in the teeth that was to those fans...nothing at all, like we've been getting, is vastly preferable to getting something detrimental like Friendley.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
As far as stage bosses go, I don't mind Ridley because at least he can help you out after you beat him up a bit, Yellow Devil however? yeah, I make sure to play that stage NOT on regular mode. I have'nt played the Xenoblade stage long enough to see Metal face do anything so I got nothing there. Nabbit's probably the second most annoying but he's easy to get rid of if you can dodge his bag attack on time. Regarding K. Rool, I would much prefer if he was'nt a dlc stage boss then it'd be a huge step back, at least for me anyway.
Other than his lasers to destroy either the left or right of the upper stage, his occasional parting gift (he doesn't even do it every time he leaves) and his landing on the stage (yes being near him when he lands causes damage) he won't slash at you unless you get close enough to him so he'll just be taunting. That's all there is to Metal Face other than the Yellow Devil effect when he's beaten.
He doesn't even deal much damage but the knockback can be nasty.

I'd rather Metal Face be playable so we can see what he can truly do. That and my massive Xenoblade bias wants him in despite the fact it'd be literal spoilers. But it's not like Sakurai cares given the other Face Mechon trophies right?

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Reminds me of when that one press release after the 50 Facts Direct said something to the tune of "Many fans asked for Ridley, so they now get their wish, as he becomes a boss you can play with!" What a kick in the teeth that was to those fans...nothing at all, like we've been getting, is vastly preferable to getting something detrimental like Friendley.
At least Ridley has a 'moveset' of sorts. Scaled down, I think that Ridley has a lot to work with as a Smash character. Am thinking this is actually the first time he tried making Ridley work, but he just couldn't.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
At least Ridley has a 'moveset' of sorts. Scaled down, I think that Ridley has a lot to work with as a Smash character. Am thinking this is actually the first time he tried making Ridley work, but he just couldn't.
Only way to know for sure is if he was one of the planned fighters that got scrapped.
Which Sakurai neglected to mention when talking about the rubbish that kept him out funnily enough.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
The explanation bothers me more than the actual thing. I can accept Ridley being reduced to such a lame role, but acting like its somehow a good thing or an acceptable substitute? "You wanted to play as this character? Here ya go, a big stupid punchbag with highly telegraphed attacks who acts completely out of character. Just as good, right?"

Top Bottom